• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Hidetaka Miyazaki (FromSoftware) and Kentaro Miura (Beserk) working on collab

Einhander

Yeah, this is totally happening, not like Miura goes on constant hiatuses or anythin-

Z93uwT.gif

CrazyHal

Some of you might think that this is too good to be true but you know...FF15 and the last guardian were release, FF7 remake and shenmue are happening, we're getting a sequel to Nier by platinum, Sega is localising every upcoming Yakuza games..

Anything is possible!

Ratrat

Pls no.

Dont care about Berserk tbh, but From Software has already borrowed from it with Dark Souls. I want them to do soemthing original. And if they cant, take a SF manga like Blame or Biomega.

TissueBox

Damn! Too good to be real, true, anything but a dream, etc.!!

Infiltration success!!

(And also, good on the guy, it sounded like an awesome experience..!)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sci-fi Souls with monster designs by Miura

It's not an overreaction at all, the new anime is abysmal. The people behind it have no clue. Rock music playing when Griffith was reborn? Case closed.
It absolutly is an overreaction, I enjoyed it as well. It started off pretty meh but by the end it was a solid 7/10. Plus the blurays heavily improve on the series main flaw.

I'll just say this first.

If, and if this is true. I'll be super happy.

I'll also be a bit salty because I'll feel triggered everytime anyone in the mainstream video games media talks about this as if the secret sauce is Miyazaki/FROM because they don't know the majesty of Berserk.

It absolutly is an overreaction, I enjoyed it as well. It started off pretty meh but by the end it was a solid 7/10. Plus the blurays heavily improve on the series main flaw.

I agree it does improve, but it only goes from like a 2/10 to a 4/10. The animation, music and general direction of everything is not good. Not good at all.

The laughable animation isn't it's only problem.

JayEH

I agree it does improve, but it only goes from like a 2/10 to a 4/10. The animation, music and general direction of everything is not good. Not good at all.

Yep. I got over the animation quickly. Could never get over the god awful direction. Also why is it that guts looks like absolute shit in his 3D model? Everyone else looks fine but they cheaped out on the central character.

If this is going to actually happen, for the love of god, please take place after the conviction arc. I wanna hang out with the Berserk gang so bad.

The Blu ray seems to have touched up some scenes and made them animated, similar to how the movies have traditional animation and CG combined.

The extent of the animation fixes, no clue

Honestly, if it does happen I hope it's not a Berserk game but an actual collaboration between the two on some new thing. Have Miura do the art and designs, have Miyazaki do the world, both collaborate on story and characters, etc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What is Berserk?
Berserk is a Japanese comic book series (manga) that started in the late 1980s.

Dark Souls is, in many ways, basically a game version of the series.

If you think about how a lot of developers made games in the 90s that were basically Aliens, Warhammer, Rambo, Dungeons & Dragons, or Starship Troopers, but made as their own IPs that sort of branched off, you're on the right track.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What would be the best way to start getting into Berserk? Start with the manga or just jump right into the anime?

If you can't access to the manga and don't want to read the sketchy fan translations online (they can be and often are terrible) then I'd say to actually check out your local library. The nearby library network has something like the first 24 volumes of the manga.

If you're going to watch any of the anime adaptations watch the series from the 90's. The animation can be hit or miss because of its budget but its the best adaptation we have gotten. Music is epic, the dub is excellent, and of course the Berserk story and characters are great.

Momentary

Banned
What would be the best way to start getting into Berserk? Start with the manga or just jump right into the anime?

Manga. I have the entire U.S. release. I tried to sit there and watch 3 episodes of the new anime and it is a slap in the face to the source material. The old anime, while not exactly like the manga, was excellent. You should watch the old anime from the 90's first. If you start with the manga the 90's anime won't be as good to you.

Top Bottom