• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: new Half-Life 2: Episode 3 concept art revealed (from 2008)

Dr.Acula

Banned
jVeBV.jpg

Hipster confirmed!

gdt

This is so old at this point. Ricochet 2 probably doesn't resemble this stuff all that much anymore.

Nice to look at though!

FyreWulff

Cool. Changing Alyx' design seems to indicate a different direction of some sort though.

I wouldn't read into Alyx's design too much. Depend on when and what the concept art was for, the artist probably was just quickly doing up a woman that looks close enough to Alyx to give the general gist of the designs. Since this looks like a character outfit study/concept collection, the actual look of Alyx wouldn't be the important part.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, they're concept art, trying out different looks for the character. There's about 30+ of these floating around depicting Chell from Portal 2 in various outfits.

His post strikes me as a joke, combining Valve's known F2P experimentation with recent industry spiels extolling an assumed F2P future.

EVIL

Some interesting shots. Are those ruins of the Citadel I see there?

how would that be possible? kraken base is relatively close by but not close enough to see it from there. anyway, some of the shots look legit, but the first shot you quoted and the rest of the curly wurly art look like ass. so I am still doubtful of it authenticity.

geebee

Banned
Even if this is legit, the concept art is at least 4 years old, right? Remember when HL 2 was first shown early on, the released game was actually significantly different.

derFeef

It's not new art, it's old art.

His post strikes me as a joke, combining Valve's known F2P experimentation with recent industry spiels extolling an assumed F2P future.

I had troubles understanding this post. damn you Austrian-German.

Even though it's probably not indicative of the state of the project now, it's really awesome to see where they were going with it. This direction seems crazy in the best possible way. Love the colors too.

EVIL

Awesome, 2008 art for a project that's been indefinitely postponed for all we know.

This project is still worked on as far as I know, I don't know why people think just because we don't hear any news, its cancelled or something. Valve is a large company, they have multiple teams working on multiple project at any given time, including ep3/hl3.

knowing valves development they probably started from scratch half way. same happened with hl2, same happened with portal 2.

JaseC

knowing valves development they probably started from scratch half way. same happened with hl2, same happened with portal 2.

I firmly believe Episode Three became Half-Life 3 around the time Valve stopped openly and willingly talking about it (late 2008).

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
This project is still worked on as far as I know, I don't know why people think just because we don't hear any news, its cancelled or something. Valve is a large company, they have multiple teams working on multiple project at any given time, including ep3/hl3.
Didn't Valve basically say that they would only develop HL3 if employees were keen on developing it, and employees weren't keen on developing it so it wasn't in development?

Ceebs

I refuse to get excited over this game until I see an "Unlocks in < 24 hours" on the Steam product page.

gabbo

Even if this is legit, the concept art is at least 4 years old, right? Remember when HL 2 was first shown early on, the released game was actually significantly different.

Different situations entirely. HL2 was shown to the public several times then redesigned. Ep3/3 hasn't been shown to the public at all, minus two pieces of art that didn't show any real character or environment concepts.

JaseC

Didn't Valve basically say that they would only develop HL3 if employees were keen on developing it, and employees weren't keen on developing it so it wasn't in development?

That's the philosophy behind projects at Valve, but there's no tangible reason to believe nobody at Valve wants to work on a Half-Life game. Indeed, if you're in the camp that believes Gabe used Ricochet 2 as a codeword for Half-Life 3, people have been working hard at it for years.

EVIL

no, never stated, what they did say is that employees can start projects and if projects arent popular they die out. but nothing included in that conversation about the halflife episode 3 project cancelled

Notice how I didn't say cancelled.
I'm just saying you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you get even remotely excited for 4 year old art on a project that's been going on for 5, with no reason to believe the light at the end of the tunnel is near. The (infamous) lapse between the releases of HL 1 and 2 will soon be shorter than the one between Ep 2 and whatever comes next.

dr_rus

I firmly believe Episode Three became Half-Life 3 around the time Valve stopped openly and willingly talking about it (late 2008).
I firmly don't give a fuck on how it'll be called but the wait has been long enough to start asking questions. It was 6 years between HL1 and HL2. Then we got Ep1 1.5 year later. And Ep2 1.5 later again. That was October 2007 and it's been almost FIVE YEARS since that time. And if you count from the release of HL2 it's been FRIGGIN EIGHT YEARS. And we don't even know when we may see something HL-related - not even a game but some kind of information on what to expect next. This isn't a good way to treat your fans, Valve. As much as I've liked both Portals, Valve is Half-Life for me and I don't care about L4Ds, DOTAs, TFs and all the other things they've been working on during the last years. Without Half-Life Valve is just an owner of Steam platform for me.

I find funny how for every two great costumes there is a completely awful one. Almost like the artist came up with all the things to avoid and put them together.

JaseC

The thought has occurred to me: did we ever get actual proof that this game ever entered production?

Yes, when it was informally announced back in May 2006:

Edit: And one of the commentary nodes in Episode Two mentions that a scenario was originally intended for Episode Three, but was ultimately complete enough to include in Episode Two instead.

Some interesting shots. Are those ruins of the Citadel I see there?

how would that be possible? kraken base is relatively close by but not close enough to see it from there. anyway, some of the shots look legit, but the first shot you quoted and the rest of the curly wurly art look like ass. so I am still doubtful of it authenticity.

A Citadel, not necessarily the Citadel. There were many other Citadels in the other cities. Smaller of course.

Black-Box

I think it would be better for there to never be a episode 3, the chances are high that it is not what everyone thinks it would be.

OnPoint

I think it would be better for there to never be a episode 3, the chances are high that it is not what everyone thinks it would be.

I have no preconceptions of what it should be. I trust Valve and their vision. I just want the game already, whether it's ep 3 or HL3, I don't care at this point

I firmly don't give a fuck on how it'll be called but the wait has been long enough to start asking questions. It was 6 years between HL1 and HL2. Then we got Ep1 1.5 year later. And Ep2 1.5 later again. That was October 2007 and it's been almost FIVE YEARS since that time. And if you count from the release of HL2 it's been FRIGGIN EIGHT YEARS. And we don't even know when we may see something HL-related - not even a game but some kind of information on what to expect next. This isn't a good way to treat your fans, Valve. As much as I've liked both Portals, Valve is Half-Life for me and I don't care about L4Ds, DOTAs, TFs and all the other things they've been working on during the last years. Without Half-Life Valve is just an owner of Steam platform for me.

Valve had made / completed more projects since 2004 then they ever did before, so where it concerns company output, they have not just concerned the digital market, but are quite productive in terms of games as well.
(for their size though, that might look like differently)

Assuming they are working on Source 2 / Half-Life 'sequel' (or something), that's actually a much more impressive track record than most studios would dream of.
(when consider sales / profit along with it, that is)

Privately owned or not, success on a market is only determined by your profit divided by your number of employees. Valve is very, very successful by this standard. If we add in time as a variable, that quotient goes up, not down.

I would surprised if we hear anything HL related before the next console cycle has begun in earnest, with all players on the market. (2014 / 2015)
The rather constant trolling by Valve would have to turn up something eventually though. But that doesn't mean they have to either, sadly.

EVIL

A Citadel, not necessarily the Citadel. There were many other Citadels in the other cities. Smaller of course.
I replied to a post thinking its THE citadel.

it could be another citadel *imagine gorden would lead a rebellion that would echo in other city#'s to

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It'll be great when Ep3/HL3 finally comes out and takes place in an arctic environment of the sort that everyone will be totally sick of thanks to Lost Planet 3 and Dead Space 3.

Top Bottom