• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Prey 2 cancelled, official statement due next week [Up: ZeniMax: No comment.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majanew

Banned
Please be a lie. Please be a lie. Please be a lie.

Prey 2 looks awesome as fuck. If it got cancelled, I'd bet that it was heading towards or already in development hell and they decided to pull the plug before it wasted too much money.

Probably wasn't COD enough. All work is canceled with a new team working on Prey 2: Modern Alien Warfare. Gotta get dem COD sales.

That game looked great no way this can be true.

If it is though maybe it will show up with a different name like True Crimes Hong Kong.

GOOD

I wanted a proper sequel to the first game. Not to have the storyline dropped just so they can go in a "new direction"(translation: chase after COD money by making it "uber badass")

willsmith_whaaacpkk1.gif

LYbrp.gif

TQm5K.gif

Jarmel

Banned
GOOD

I wanted a proper sequel to the first game. Not to have the storyline dropped just so they can go in a "new direction"(translation: chase after COD money by making it "uber badass")

It looked to be a fantastic game and you're throwing a fucking tantrum because you have no idea how it was going to tie into the first game?

Adnor

Banned
pleasebefakepleasebefakepleasebefakepleasebefakepleasebefakepleasebefakepleasebefakepleasebefakepleasebefake

please :(

Ridley327

GOOD

There is nothing described about Prey 2 that sounds remotely like CoD. It was going in quite the opposite direction, as a matter of fact.

I really don't want this to be true, but the GDC demo getting pulled does not instill much confidence.

hym

Banned
Very weird, I can only recall positive responses of it's showing at E3 2011, maybe the publisher looked at the results of Syndicate and figured if EA can't pull of cyberpunk FPS, we shouldn't bother.

Sentenza

Damn, I was looking forward for this.
I hope that's not actually the case, but what they claim makes sense.

Nizz

Nooo, I hope it's not true. :( When I saw that E3 gameplay video this game jumped to one of my most anticipated titles. I wonder if the devs were overwhelmed by the positive response? Maybe they were in over their head a little?

This would suck if true, though.

It better fucking not be, Looked like it could bring alot to the genre, put another great cyberpunk esq game into the fold and expand the prey universe into something successful.

Seriously if this is cancelled im going to be trashed we have enough "Call of Duty" games in the market give us something fresh

It looked to be a fantastic game and you're throwing a fucking tantrum because you have no idea how it was going to tie into the first game?

The "tie" to the first game is some random scene where tommy see's an airplane in the background. This game is about a one of the passengers on that plane who becomes a bounty hunter on an alien world. I want the further adventures of Tommy especially since it seemed like it was gearing up for a really epic cosmic war.

Barakov

Gold Member
I really hope this is not the case. Everything we've heard about it sounds fantastic.

But the fact that a dev's GDC talk was cancelled and we haven't much about it since E3 '11 definitely kinda worries me.

Ridley327

Very weird, I can only recall positive responses of it's showing at E3 2011, maybe the publisher was looking at the results of Syndicate and figured if EA can't pull of cyber punk we shouldn't bother.

I also don't really buy into Syndicate's failure as grounds for cancellation when we had Deus Ex: Human Revolution do well both commercially and financially last year, and Prey 2 sounds like it's taking more from the latter than the former.

Strange though not unheard of. Who ever knows with publishers?

Just speculating, but maybe they thought it would get a lot more attention if it will be a next gen launch title. Or mabye they want to publish the game under a new IP? If it really got cancelled, there must be something big going on at Bethesda, I mean the game was scheduled for release in Q2/3 this year...

Jarmel

Banned
The "tie" to the first game is some random scene where tommy see's an airplane in the background. This game is about a one of the passengers on that plane who becomes a bounty hunter on an alien world. I want the further adventures of Tommy especially since it seemed like it was gearing up for a really epic cosmic war.

They already said that Tommy was going to come into play later in the game. You have no idea how the narrative was going to play into the overarching universe.

Even if it was only a sequel in name, the combat mechanics and art design was beyond top notch. It's a fucking tragedy it got canned just on the basis it was a different and fantastic looking game.

Khezu

Tommy is in prey 2, they showed screens of him

Anyway I remember the demo being a bit too perfect in how it was executed, almost like it was super scripted. Maybe they ran into a halo 2 situation?

God I hope not though, such a cool looking game.

S1kkZ

Tommy is in prey 2, they showed screens of him

Anyway I remember the demo being a bit too perfect in how it was executed, almost like it was super scripted. Maybe they ran into a halo 2 situation?

i think this is possible. the game sounded really ambitious, maybe too much for the developer or current gen systems?

So quick fake check. Did anyone hear about scheduled presentations by Human Head at GDC that really were cancelled?

Can't believe nobody else mentioned this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom