• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

what does 8gig really mean? fancier OS, more onscreen eye candy, higher res ads?

It means at every E3 there's going to be a lot of forum bitching and moaning, because that much ram dedicated to the OS means they're going to be doing a lot more with the Xbox than playing games. And they're going to be discussing those features and adding to them every year, and it will be presented at E3. I can't wait.

SPDIF

Sounds about right.

They're just doing what MS as a whole started with Windows Phone. Metro-ise the icon (flat, no gradients) and use Segoe for the font. It seems like the first time ever that Microsoft has a similar look across all of their products.

Note: I'm referring to just MS and not those other companies.

Why? 88xx is a mid-range series, should be around 130 W TDP. Nicely in the console envelope.
Just for discussion:

1) Mobile series does not duplicate the video/audio out and hardware codecs that are in the APU.
2) Mobile series are designed to be more efficient and have been announced now while the HD 8000 desktop PC are coming later in 2013.
3) LPM silicon has a higher yield than HP performance silicon in 2013
4) Yes, mobile can be clocked higher in a console as it has fans and battery life is not an issue.
5) The 8000M advertising packet specifies NDA and Console GPUs so some 8000M GPU will be in consoles. If it's too modified then AMD can't tout it and use it in advertising. It can be from a near future AMD GPU or APU and that would work for AMD.
6) The discrete GPU is likely one that shows up now with the Thebe and Kryptos HWinfo.com rather than later. Enthusiast GPU (Sun 8900M series) is not even listed in the AMD roadmap but it's disclosed in HWinfo.com. If Sony and Microsoft need to use Mobile then a future top of the line "Enthusiast GPU" is best no?

These appear to be new hardware by AMD that the HWinfo.com software can report on. Posted Oct 8, 2012 which likely means it exists in some form BEFORE Oct 8, 2012. Kryptos and Thebe show up in this and so might the second GPU. My guess is mobile so I have bolded those but it could be HP 8000 series in the following.

Added AMD Sun, Neptune, Ibiza, Cozumel, Kauai, Hainan, Curacao, Aruba, Richland Devastator/Scrapper, Thebe, Kryptos, Samara, Pennar.

Changes for v4.06 Build 1740 Beta - v4.05 Build 1745 Beta = http://www.afterdawn.com/software/version_history.cfm/hwinfo64

Enhanced sensor monitoring on ASRock Z77, Z75, H77, B75, Q77, H71M and A75 series.
Minor bugfixes and improvements.
Driver management tool removed from package. Functionality moved into Configure section.
History file removed from package. Available online in the News section.
Help file replaced with on-line help (forum).
Embedded all supplemental files (DAT, drivers) into the main EXE file.
Reduced package content to 2 files only (EXE, INI).
Added reporting of GPU VDDC for later AMD GPUs.
Enhanced sensor monitoring on Gigabyte F2A85 series.
Added preliminary support of Nuvoton NCT6791D sensor.
Added AMD Sun, Neptune, Ibiza, Cozumel, Kauai, Hainan, Curacao, Aruba, Richland Devastator/Scrapper, Thebe, Kryptos, Samara, Pennar.
Added reporting of SATA AHCI/RAID controller and per-port information under PCI host device.
Fixed reporting of current memory clock on AMD Trinity.

This was changed yesterday with Sun being = to Mars which does not make sense so I left the older unchanged information below. Venus now occupies Sun's position in the following chart. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Islands_(GPU_family)#Solar_System_.28HD_8xxxM.29_series

Neptune is a 8870M .992Tflops Uses GDDR5 256 bit (is part of the 8800M series)
Sun XT is a 8970M unknown Tflops Uses GDDR5 384 bit (8900M series is not listed officially from AMD anywhere) Now called Venus.

Sept 2011 Noises About Radeon HD 7900 Series with XDR2 Memory Grow

Then there is this from SemiAccurate Sept 2012:

Rambus shows a best of both worlds memory tech

This yet unnamed memory technology is able to transfer between 4.8 and 6.4Gbps per pin, about the same as XDR2 and GDDR5. Since XDR2 is differential and GDDR5 has some differential pins, this new methodology could be net more efficient per pin than the older two. In and of itself, that is nothing new, and it will vary by end user implementation.

The power levels are nothing new either, they are roughly in line with DDR3 per Gbps transferred, so what’s the point? Getting those speeds at that power level was previously not possible, you could do GDDR5 and burn watts, or DDR3 with a fraction of the bandwidth. This new tech can do both.

Rambus gets there by using a 200mv swing on the signals, pretty low all things said. The fact that they can get it to work correctly and reliably is the proverbial magic, that is not something easy. How do they do it? That is the secret sauce, but they did it. Not just that, they did it with standard DIMM sizes, from large on the test rig to low profile and SO-DIMMs on the far left.

To make things more impressive, the DIMM that is running is using a standard off the shelf DDR3 socket. Also note that it uses a socket, GDDR5 has to be soldered down to reach those speeds
It could used DDR3 wires but everything else could be different. If this is being used there is no need for a Silicon Interposer or wide IO memory. Provided the price is right.

Curufinwe

$100 Wi-Fi and a $50 VGA cable, it was a pretty costly system for me despite the advertised price.

Was the 360 the last piece of important consumer electronics not to have wifi built in?

The overpriced wifi adapter was on reason I didn’t get a 360 till 2010.

R1CHO

It means at every E3 there's going to be a lot of forum bitching and moaning, because that much ram dedicated to the OS means they're going to be doing a lot more with the Xbox than playing games. And they're going to be discussing those features and adding to them every year, and it will be presented at E3. I can't wait.

30 min. espn talk, cuz now you can watch 8 fuusball gamez simultaneously.

kyo27

Specs sound very nice from what I can understand, but if they're forced to launch with a base price of 400 bucks, they will suffer for it. Getting a good launch price should be a higher priority than decking out the specs to maximum.

If they can get it down to 300 or 350 this will be fine, and that may be easy to do (I'm not that familiar with the specifics of hardware prices at the moment). But it should not be 400.

I'm sure they will offer a subsidized console. If it is $400 for the high end model, I would be very pleased. Anyways this is how I feel about next gen right now:

tumblr_m934hfztvH1r1ang0o1_400.gif

From what I heard latest revison was actually 1 core:1.5 gig. With an expectation to go 1:1. On release. Take that as you will.

Would this really leave 6GB+ of RAM for games if the 8GB spec is true? That's insane to me for a closed platform console.

Proelite

When you say very powerful 7000 series, are you referring to the 7950 or 7970? The 8800 series should match or outperform high-end 7900 series video cards, judging by the performance of 6950/6970 vs 7850/7870.

Whatever is competitive with the GTX 680.

Kosma

Banned
Suddenly my prediction about PC vs Next Gen Consoles seems so much more likely huh.

8 core... 8 gigs RAM... 8800... windows 8?

xbox 8?

Maybe these specs sound a bit too good.

Karak

Would this really leave 6GB+ of RAM for games if the 8GB spec is true? That's insane to me for a closed platform console.

Expectations and revisions will be all over the place until they settle down. It would leave whatever is left. IF the 8 is true, theoretically they would probably just hold more for overall OS flexibility. 6 is re-damn-diculas for games.

Must be fake specs. Those specs arent needed to play halo, kinect, or watch tv. Which lretty much sums up microsoft's position on consoles.

And when will people learn about rumored specs. How often have tbey actually been right? Especially this far out. People barely get a fraction of the specs right on cell phones, and those are released evry yearvand know what theve more or less have been working with

Specs sound very nice from what I can understand, but if they're forced to launch with a base price of 400 bucks, they will suffer for it. Getting a good launch price should be a higher priority than decking out the specs to maximum.

If they can get it down to 300 or 350 this will be fine, and that may be easy to do (I'm not that familiar with the specifics of hardware prices at the moment). But it should not be 400.

Nah man, this aint the wii. Real next gen machines have to be just that and they know it. Force the power at initial loss but profit over time.

I'm sure they will offer a subsidized console. If it is $400 for the high end model, I would be very pleased. Anyways this is how I feel about next gen right now:

tumblr_m934hfztvH1r1ang0o1_400.gif

Choosing a Jet doesn't fill anyone with confidence. Next Gen will finish 6-10.

derFeef

Must be fake specs. Those specs arent needed to play halo, kinect, or watch tv. Which lretty much sums up microsoft's position on consoles.

And when will people learn about rumored specs. How often have tbey actually been right? Especially this far out. People barely get a fraction of the specs right on cell phones, and those are released evry yearvand know what theve more or less have been working with

I dunno where to start with this.
I will say this though - far out? It better be finilazed by now if they want to launch this fall.

kyo27

Choosing a Jet doesn't fill anyone with confidence. Next Gen will finish 6-10.

I hate the Jets, I'm a Pats fan. But that was one of the best post game interviews I've heard. Plus they went to the AFC title game that year, but I'm not mad because they are the laughing stock of the league now.

My source. Who has been right for announcements and timing and leaks more than anything else. Stated that we WOULD for sure see something prior E3. Including the leaks begining pre-during-post CES.
By now, when it comes to those kinds of things, I pretty much believe him. MS doesn't want to share any space on a system release.
Does your source know anything about the competition like Sony aswell?

Elginer

God I am so damn excited, this sounds fantastic. It really is going to be a torrent of leaks from here till announcement. I just want some insane OS features like music streaming while playing a game, a social feature like Mii-verse, screenshots and video capture of games, even if its small clips and Skype video chat in game.

Karak

Does your source know anything about the competition like Sony aswell?

No sir.

God I am so damn excited, this sounds fantastic. It really is going to be a torrent of leaks from here till announcement. I just want some insane OS features like music streaming while playing a game, a social feature like Mii-verse, screenshots and video capture of games, even if its small clips and Skype video chat in game.
Correct we will also see some leaks from partners not accustomed to the types of NDA's that games industry vets are as well. Some truly on accident others when asked.

Jeff, if a 8000M is being used on consoles, and the fact that if the GPU on consoles is modified enough then it cannot be advertised in that slide, what does that tell us?

Maybe PS4 using a discrete 8000M chip?

Considering timelines and what we know, Sony entered into the AMD game a whole lot latter than MS did, and MS is trying the whole Xenos thing again (custom) then maybe it's not about 2 consoles but one?

Trying to follow your logic. In the slide it states that AMD radeon graphics are the tech of choice on consoles, which yeah....only PS3 didn't use it. And going forward every console will be based on Radeon tech.

Regarding the NDA, the embargo date was 17 december last year. So I don't see how that's relevant here(the nda).

Considering the top of the line M card doesn't even reach a theoretical 1T, then this doesn't seem like the main gpu of any of the consoles coming up, therefore it would be a discrete GPU and rumors don't point to Xbox having a discrete Gpu right? Leaving us with the PS4?

abadguy

Banned
they should bring back stuff like Azurik, make it a GodOW clone. bring back Conker, Shadowrun, Blinx... MOTOCROSS MADNESS!!!

explore your IPs, MS, there's decent stuff there.

I would love to see a Sequel/Spiritual successor to Phantom Dust on the next box. They've already got the team in place pretty much working on Crimson Dragon.

A new Perfect Dark game would be nice too. Maybe even Deathrow sequel.

Be cool of MS published an new IP by Platinum as well at some point, or something new with Itagaki/Valhalla.

bud23

I really hope that Microsoft has an event prior to E3 to Unveil the new Xbox like they did with the 360. I think they had the MTV special a month before E3 back in 2005.

I don´t know if there will be an special event like the MTV showcase in 2005, but definitely Ms will announce the next Xbox before the E3.

The E3 is much larger and more influential, that´s for sure, but there the attention is divided between the three big, so if you want to build the hype and get the focus in your console, you are going to announce it prior to E3.

Honestly, I think that wait until E3 it´s ridiculous on marketing terms and not gonna happen.
Both PS4 and Xbox Infinity will be announced before E3 imo.

I dunno where to start with this.
I will say this though - far out? It better be finilazed by now if they want to launch this fall.

I meant far out as in "official" leaks. Yes, im sure thst tbeybshould be fairly close to being finalized, if not already finalized. But there are no picture leaks from a factory, etc. which usually signal its almost finished. Whst about the "information" that ms was having severe problems with cpu and had to postpone launch. How do we trust this more than the other, or vice versa. At the eaiest, the system would be a full 10 to 11 months away. Just trying to keep things in perspective

If they do an unveiling, I doubt they'd use MTV. They've got a Live Event App now that works really well (when they do use it).

Karak

I would love to see a Sequel/Spiritual successor to Phantom Dust on the next box. They've already got the team in place pretty much working on Crimson Dragon.

A new Perfect Dark game would be nice too. Maybe even Deathrow sequel.

Be cool of MS published an new IP by Platinum as well at some point, or something new with Itagaki/Valhalla.

There is a pretty large stable of IP's they have and haven't flexed with tenacity this gen. I would like them to dig deep a bit.

If they do an unveiling, I doubt they'd use MTV. They've got a Live Event App now that works really well (when they do use it).
And Xboxlive Prereveal for those on Xboxlive.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Not going to happen E3 is much larger than 2005 with main stream press coverage including the cable network news, broadcast news, business news networks and getting 1.5 hours of free air time on spike TV. It would be stupid to announce any other time now. You can do an MTV event closer to launch as a final sales pitch.

Except Microsoft have moved their entire focus away from industry events to unveiling stuff on their own time.

They will announce before E3.

quest

Not Banned from OT

mr_nothin

Banned
Remember when everybody on GAF was like "nooo it will never use the most recent graphics card on the market....costs too much!"?

Remember when everybody on GAF was like "nooo it will never use the most recent graphics card on the market....costs too much!"?

We have a long history of being wrong. We said Neil Armstrong was a doofus that would overshoot the moon and burn up on the sun.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

I said the opposite, but yes most of GAF was really underestimating things. This time consoles won't match pc power my ass. People basically laughed at me when I said next box would have a better gpu than my 6950.

alphaNoid

Banned
I'm also in the boat that thinks MS is definitely going to announce before E3. That way when they do announce, its their own show and they get 100% of the attention. Then they will ride that hype train into E3 and show even more of the console at the keynote, and unveil more and more about the system, carrot on a stick so to speak.

I do not think Sony has had plans to announce PS4 before E3. I think they likely have an option to announce 'something" at E3 ... depending on what MS is doing. I think ultimately Sony is not going to "announce" PS4 at E3. They will have a PS3 conference and show lots of titles for Vita and other features.. then at the end of the press conference they will "hint" at something big about to change to generate some buzz and try to distract everyone from MS and the new Xbox at E3.

Then depending how much hype the new Xbox has generated ,and IF MS is releasing it Holiday 2013... Sony will likely then announce the PS4 sometime in August or at TGS or something just before the xbox launch to try again to divert attention and slow the train down. I base all of this on my feeling that Sony is in no way launching a new console in 2013, I feel its 2014.

KageMaru

From what I heard latest revison was actually 1 core:1.5 gig. With an expectation to go 1:1. On release. Take that as you will.

1 core + 1.5GB for OS sounds more reasonable. I'm still concerned about the bandwidth, which could cripple the use of all this memory.

Just look at the Wii-U with it's pathetic amount of bandwidth. There would be little point in shrinking the OS with that system since you wouldn't be able to use it all for gaming.

Suddenly my prediction about PC vs Next Gen Consoles seems so much more likely huh.

8 core... 8 gigs RAM... 8800... windows 8?

xbox 8?

Maybe these specs sound a bit too good.

These specs really aren't too good to be true. It'll be a huge leap compared to the PS360, but nowhere near the performance we see in today's top-end gaming rigs.

8 Jaguar cores isn't something too huge, 8GB of memory is likely to be DDR4, and the GPU isn't going to be top of the line.

SMH...

BTW we knew the specs of the 360 in June of 2004.

Top Bottom