• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

I said the opposite, but yes most of GAF was really underestimating things. This time consoles won't match pc power my ass. People basically laughed at me when I said next box would have a better gpu than my 6950.

Yup. GAF has a fear for anything costing over $299. I've been saying we're going to get GTX680 level hardware since we started to get early leaks. People called me nuts, stupid, retarded, foolish, ect...

Here we are today... Looks like my assumptions are proving to be closely accurate.

Edit:
I'll say this once again... ALL, and I mean ALL next gen software technologies have been showcased on GTX680 class hardware. If THAT isn't a giveaway to what is coming next gen then I don't know what is.

Dennis

Banned
lol 8800 graphics? That's pretty awful. I mean I had a 8800GTX and it was a good card for when I bought it (years ago). But it would never be able to run games at a high level.

Also is that BD guy telling the leaker that he's reporting him to MS?

lol

Gorillaz

Im interested in the way they attempt to price next box. Hopefully it doesnt break 450$
What a twist it would be if Sony manages to have the least leaks.
Somehow they kept The Last Of Us quiet. Even tho a console launch has more people invested, I wonder if Sony Ninjas are putting in overtime right bout now.

Edit: xbox 3=Goku SS 3? :eek:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
These specs really aren't too good to be true. It'll be a huge leap compared to the PS360, but nowhere near the performance we see in today's top-end gaming rigs.

I agree, I don't understand the surprise. If it comes out in the Fall of 2013 it will be even less impressive then. I'm just wondering if they are going with eDRAM again, I guess it is safe to assume if they use 8GB of DDR.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm also in the boat that thinks MS is definitely going to announce before E3. That way when they do announce, its their own show and they get 100% of the attention. Then they will ride that hype train into E3 and show even more of the console at the keynote, and unveil more and more about the system, carrot on a stick so to speak.

I do not think Sony has had plans to announce PS4 before E3. I think they likely have an option to announce 'something" at E3 ... depending on what MS is doing. I think ultimately Sony is not going to "announce" PS4 at E3. They will have a PS3 conference and show lots of titles for Vita and other features.. then at the end of the press conference they will "hint" at something big about to change to generate some buzz and try to distract everyone from MS and the new Xbox at E3.

Then depending how much hype the new Xbox has generated ,and IF MS is releasing it Holiday 2013... Sony will likely then announce the PS4 sometime in August or at TGS or something just before the xbox launch to try again to divert attention and slow the train down. I base all of this on my feeling that Sony is in no way launching a new console in 2013, I feel its 2014.

@ e3, MS will show xbox launch titles, sony will show ps4 cg movies. same as 360/ps3

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Jeff, if a 8000M is being used on consoles, and the fact that if the GPU on consoles is modified enough then it cannot be advertised in that slide, what does that tell us?

Maybe PS4 using a discrete 8000M chip?

Considering timelines and what we know, Sony entered into the AMD game a whole lot latter than MS did, and MS is trying the whole Xenos thing again (custom) then maybe it's not about 2 consoles but one?

Trying to follow your logic. In the slide it states that AMD radeon graphics are the tech of choice on consoles, which yeah....only PS3 didn't use it. And going forward every console will be based on Radeon tech.

Regarding the NDA, the embargo date was 17 december last year. So I don't see how that's relevant here(the nda).

Considering the top of the line M card, doesn't even reach a theoretical 1T, then this doesn't seem like the main gpu of any of the consoles coming up, therefore it would be a discrete GPU, and rumors don't point to Xbox having a discrete Gpu right? Leaving us with the PS4?

They aren't using 8000Ms as the discrete GPUs. It makes no sense.

Jeff, if a 8000M is being used on consoles, and the fact that if the GPU on consoles is modified enough then it cannot be advertised in that slide, what does that tell us?

Considering timelines and what we know, Sony entered into the AMD game a whole lot latter than MS did, and MS is trying the whole Xenos thing again (custom) then maybe it's not about 2 consoles but one?

Trying to follow your logic. In the slide it states that AMD radeon graphics are the tech of choice on consoles, which yeah....only PS3 didn't use it. And going forward every console will be based on Radeon tech.

Regarding the NDA, the embargo date was 17 december last year. So I don't see how that's relevant here(the nda).

Considering the top of the line M card doesn't even reach a theoretical 1T, then this doesn't seem like the main gpu of any of the consoles coming up, therefore it would be a discrete GPU and rumors don't point to Xbox having a discrete Gpu right? Leaving us with the PS4?
Top end mobile products hit 2+ tflops

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What a twist it would be if Sony manages to have the least leaks.
I feel like Sony is just talking to their first parties and a couple close, trusted devs (DICE, S-E, KojiPro, maybe a couple others) while MS is talking to everyone more openly. When the new PS4 devkits hit this month and they blow the doors off of who is in the know, we'll hear a lot more.

I feel like MS may be aiming at an early fall launch (September) while Sony is aiming a couplw months later, which means we'll hear a lot more soon.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
These specs really aren't too good to be true. It'll be a huge leap compared to the PS360, but nowhere near the performance we see in today's top-end gaming rigs...

True but coding for a fixed platform with those specs. The results should look stunning.

I do wonder what kind of DVD/Bluray tech they will use for the optical media.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If you guys think anyone would cram that much RAM into a consumer console, you're wrong.

It's forward thinking

The GPU and CPU would be very capable but down the line the ram starts being in the way

Remove that barrier and this console will last a very long time

Considering the top of the line M card, doesn't even reach a theoretical 1T, then this doesn't seem like the main gpu of any of the consoles coming up, therefore it would be a discrete GPU, and rumors don't point to Xbox having a discrete Gpu right? Leaving us with the PS4?
If your going to be logical <grin>

1) Only Kabini/Samara/Pennar are SoCs that according to AMD are the first that can be customized NOT Richland/Kavari.
2) There are no specs for Sun (8970) now named Venus. It should be greater than .9Tflops as the transistor count is twice Neptunes (8870M) so just under 2Tflops + the APU of .3Tflops. Lots of guesses. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Islands_(GPU_family)#Solar_System_.28HD_8xxxM.29_series

The slide had 8000M NDA Dec 17 and Game Consoles, they couldn't release the slide until after Dec 17, 2012. Ask Karak, I believe he has hinted that it was one of two official information releases he expected.

As to being the same, there is a separate Thebe and Kryptos but they are essentially built with AMD parts and show up at exactly the same time in HWinfo.com, the question is how different are they? Anyone checking out AMD at CES.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Yup. GAF has a fear for anything costing over $299. I've been saying we're going to get GTX680 level hardware since we started to get early leaks. People called me nuts, stupid, retarded, foolish, ect...

Here we are today... Looks like my assumptions are proving to be closely accurate.

Edit:
I'll say this once again... ALL, and I mean ALL next gen software technologies have been showcased on GTX680 class hardware. If THAT isn't a giveaway to what is coming next gen then I don't know what is.

Noooo logic! It burns! :)

luffeN

A September release would be perfect! University still off and having all the time to play the launch games.

Suddenly my prediction about PC vs Next Gen Consoles seems so much more likely huh.

8 core... 8 gigs RAM... 8800... windows 8?

xbox 8?

Also the next generation Xbox will be an 8th generation game console. :p

Well you tell me. I'm legitly curious...

Well without having any benchmarks of the x8000 series cards (who does? :p ), I would have to say more then likely. The 8850 and 8870's will more than likely be a nice improvement over the 7850 and 7870, but will still probably fall a little short to reach the same performance of the 7950 and 7970 making them mid (or mid high for the 8870) cards. The 8950 and 8970 will be AMD's cream of the crop, like usual.

aegies

Are you getting your latest info from the same people who made you think the next Xbox was coming out in 2012?

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/13233/geis-new-microsoft-console-in-2012-halo-4-launch-title

Wow, they even misspelled my name. I said what I thought, not what I heard. I talked to a number of developers and publishers in 2012 who insinuated heavily that a new Xbox was originally set for last year, and talked to a developer who was contracted for an exclusive title that opted out when the system was pushed. They've since released that game. All of them were palpably frustrated at the foot dragging. And last year Yves Guillemot went on record saying he thought the longer generation had been harmful.

All of the hardware info I've heard has been over the last 9 months.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FruxOZ9Nfp0

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3848868/amd-temash-hands-on-windows-gaming-on-a-1080p-tablet

This is dirt showdown running on high end temash which is 4 1.0 ghz jaguars with a very small GPU like 2-4 CUs for tablets/netbooks. Just to give everyone an idea on what we might see on next gen with twice the cores and 1.5 bump in CPU speed and many many more CUs and higher GPU clock and many times more bandwidth for the GPU.

Not sure if serious..... -_-

Karak

1 core + 1.5GB for OS sounds more reasonable. I'm still concerned about the bandwidth, which could cripple the use of all this memory.

Just look at the Wii-U with it's pathetic amount of bandwidth. There would be little point in shrinking the OS with that system since you wouldn't be able to use it all for gaming.
Agreed. The only things I don't take with a grain of salt are the announcement stuff from that person.

If your going to be logical <grin>

1) Only Kabini/Samara/Pennar are SoCs that according to AMD are the first that can be customized NOT Richland/Kavari.
2) There are no specs for Sun (8970) now named Venus. It should be greater than .9Tflops as the transistor count is twice Neptunes (8870) so just under 2Tflops + the APU of .3Tflops. Lots of guesses.

The slide had 8000M NDA Dec 17 and Game Consoles

Hmm.

A whole lot yet to come I guess. Maybe by going custom, we are talking about a jump to ~2.5T, which would be in line with Tim Sweeney comments that Kirolak pointed to.

Wow, they even misspelled my name. I said what I thought, not what I heard. I talked to a number of developers and publishers in 2012 who insinuated heavily that a new Xbox was originally set for last year, and talked to a developer who was contracted for an exclusive title that opted out when the system was pushed. They've since released that game. All of them were palpably frustrated at the foot dragging. And last year Yves Guillemot went on record saying he thought the longer generation had been harmful.

You're alright by me. Don't let some posters lack of context get to you man!

It's forward thinking

The GPU and CPU would be very capable but down the line the ram starts being in the way

Remove that barrier and this console will last a very long time

Uuuuuuhhh... you have no idea what you're talking about.

2gigs of game-dedicate RAM is already too much. Developers have been working with very little and doing quite a lot with it. 8gigs is just a stupid luxury that's just going to add to the cost towards the consumer for very little gain.

CPU and GPU will bottleneck the console way before RAM.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Also the next generation Xbox will be an 8th generation game console. :p

Holy 8.

The-Number-23-jim-carrey-141486_1024_768.jpg

2gigs of game-dedicate RAM is already too much. Developers have been working with very little and doing quite a lot with it. 8gigs is just a stupid luxury that's just going to add to the cost towards the consumer for very little gain.

Tell that to Crytek.

And....is all that because of the choices Nintendo made with the WiiU? I don't really think that system should be used as a basis to extrapolate what will be in or not, in the next consoles coming. Edit: Or worse, what developers want

Seriously.

TheOddOne

Timed exclusive contract?

DieH@rd

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FruxOZ9Nfp0

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3848868/amd-temash-hands-on-windows-gaming-on-a-1080p-tablet

This is dirt showdown running on high end temash which is 4 1.0 ghz jaguars with a very small GPU like 2-4 CUs for tablets/netbooks. Just to give everyone an idea on what we might see on next gen with twice the cores and 1.5 bump in CPU speed and many many more CUs and higher GPU clock and many times more bandwidth for the GPU.

Just to be precise this test tablet has a 1080p screen, and Temash is using ~5-7W while gaming. Latest batch of AMD APUs are awesome!

i-Lo

@ e3, MS will show xbox launch titles, sony will show ps4 cg movies. same as 360/ps3

Living up to your tag I see. Good work.

Must be fake specs. Those specs arent needed to play halo, kinect, or watch tv. Which lretty much sums up microsoft's position on consoles.

And when will people learn about rumored specs. How often have tbey actually been right? Especially this far out. People barely get a fraction of the specs right on cell phones, and those are released evry yearvand know what theve more or less have been working with

You're drunk, go home.

I'm also in the boat that thinks MS is definitely going to announce before E3. That way when they do announce, its their own show and they get 100% of the attention. Then they will ride that hype train into E3 and show even more of the console at the keynote, and unveil more and more about the system, carrot on a stick so to speak.

I do not think Sony has had plans to announce PS4 before E3. I think they likely have an option to announce 'something" at E3 ... depending on what MS is doing. I think ultimately Sony is not going to "announce" PS4 at E3. They will have a PS3 conference and show lots of titles for Vita and other features.. then at the end of the press conference they will "hint" at something big about to change to generate some buzz and try to distract everyone from MS and the new Xbox at E3.

Then depending how much hype the new Xbox has generated ,and IF MS is releasing it Holiday 2013... Sony will likely then announce the PS4 sometime in August or at TGS or something just before the xbox launch to try again to divert attention and slow the train down. I base all of this on my feeling that Sony is in no way launching a new console in 2013, I feel its 2014.

I am not going to go into lengthy debate. Simply put, TGS won't generate the same no. of eye balls E3 will and even then Sony may tease PS4 before E3 much like MS would with XB3. PS4 and XB3 bonanza inevitable for this year's E3.

A lot of devs are saying the opposite.

And you have to think years from now. Games will evolve to require a lot more memory to work with. Just look at games and tech demos we're seeing today of where games are going. 2Gb won't be sufficient in 2017-18.

aegies

Timed exclusive contract?

Unknown. But I've heard Microsoft is pursuing certain kinds of exclusives aggressively.

And honestly? Timed exclusives work about as well as permanent exclusives now. Getting a game after all the buzz has worn off should be seen as a loss.

Exuro

Unknown. But I've heard Microsoft is pursuing certain kinds of exclusives aggressively.

And honestly? Timed exclusives work about as well as permanent exclusives now. Getting a game after all the buzz has worn off should be seen as a loss.
Is this the 720/windows 8 store type of exclusives?

Agreed, it worked out pretty well for MS this gen with timed exclusives on console versions of BioShock, Mass Effect and Oblivion for instance.

A lot of devs are saying the opposite.

And you have to think years from now. 2GB won't be sufficient in 2017-18.

No no no. Nintendo fans know more about game development than anyone else. They know what kinds of processes, workflows and rendering engines will be used better than Tim Sweeny, Cevat Yerli, and John Carmack and the leads at SquareEnix.

i-Lo

I have to say, with this thread, the bar for expectation from XB3 has pretty much gone through the roof. I still remember the early design doc from dated from 2010 that stated total system power was to be 120W. Right now, I am pretty sure it's going to be around 200W.

So, is there no chance that the 8GB may be DDR4 given it shares the same chip density as DDR3?

didn't someone say "infinite" or "infinity" for names in some next xbox threads?
much better then xbox 8 :p

but i like xbox 8 for some reason , "8-ball" - David Puddy

those specs are great if true, what i was kinda expecting.

KageMaru

Considering the top of the line M card doesn't even reach a theoretical 1T, then this doesn't seem like the main gpu of any of the consoles coming up, therefore it would be a discrete GPU and rumors don't point to Xbox having a discrete Gpu right? Leaving us with the PS4?

We won't be seeing any mobile GPUs in next gen systems.

I agree, I don't understand the surprise. If it comes out in the Fall of 2013 it will be even less impressive then. I'm just wondering if they are going with eDRAM again, I guess it is safe to assume if they use 8GB of DDR.

It's impressive for a console, and will still be impressive in fall of 2013. I just don't think it's right for people to compare what we'll see in these consoles to high end gaming PCs.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

I agree, let's face it - I doubt a lot ( and I mean a lot not just people on Gaf ) of people cared that Mass Effect 1 was now available on the ps3 some 5 odd years later.

Durante

These specs really aren't too good to be true. It'll be a huge leap compared to the PS360, but nowhere near the performance we see in today's top-end gaming rigs.

8 Jaguar cores isn't something too huge, 8GB of memory is likely to be DDR4, and the GPU isn't going to be top of the line.
Pretty much, After this looooong generation, it's perfectly possible to have a system that is both a huge jump and not really a "monster" in terms of specs or cost.

2gigs of game-dedicate RAM is already too much.
I feel like I'm back in that one thread where someone was annoyed that people only complain when consoles aren't powerful enough, but never when they are too powerful.

Top Bottom