• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Unknown. But I've heard Microsoft is pursuing certain kinds of exclusives aggressively.

And honestly? Timed exclusives work about as well as permanent exclusives now. Getting a game after all the buzz has worn off should be seen as a loss.
They've been going after DLC deals for a while now. I'm sure they'll try and get some full exclusively early on though. MS and Sony both.

TheOddOne

Unknown. But I've heard Microsoft is pursuing certain kinds of exclusives aggressively.

And honestly? Timed exclusives work about as well as permanent exclusives now. Getting a game after all the buzz has worn off should be seen as a loss.
Thanks for clarifying. Good to know, but I hope they do go after some more permanent exclusives. Mass Effect was a huge loss for them, even with all the work they put in for the first one.

King_Moc

Banned
Uuuuuuhhh... you have no idea what you're talking about.

2gigs of game-dedicate RAM is already too much. Developers have been working with very little and doing quite a lot with it. 8gigs is just a stupid luxury that's just going to add to the cost towards the consumer for very little gain.

CPU and GPU will bottleneck the console way before RAM.

Battlefield 3 uses 2gigs of DDR5 RAM. Do you want these consoles to be next gen, or not?

Proelite

I have to say, with this thread, the bar for expectation from XB3 has pretty much gone through the roof. I still remember the early design doc from dated from 2010 that stated total system power was to be 120W. Right now, I am pretty sure it's going to be around 200W.

So, is there no chance that the 8GB may be DDR4 given it shares the same chip density as DDR3?

Expectations should be tempered. It's not really all that rosy.

The cpu is 8 small jaguar cores at 1.6 ghz
The ram can very well be 8Gb of slow ddr3 ram.
The gpu can very well be 1.5 teraflop 8000 series gpu that lacks raw horsepower.

jbug617

Banned

Wasn't there a rumor that Microsoft had an exclusive contract with Obsidian.

I'm thinking Sleeping Dogs?

Doesn't feel like it, that game was in development for ages, first as True Crime Hong Kong. Was always planned for current gen.

Yeah, Sony and MS don't really need to bother with full stop exclusives because the impact is only relevant upon time of release really.

I feel like I'm back in that one thread where someone was annoyed that people only complain when consoles aren't powerful enough, but never when they are too powerful.

Haha. And 2gb too much? I have 8 gigs on my pc and when I game it consistently goes much higher than a quarter up; and this is mainly on multiplatform games that were built for current gen. Even PC exclusive games don't require near as much power as next gen console games will (minus supersampling and all the crazy max out stuff)because consoles bring in more money and therefore have better technology/optimization.

Curufinwe

Wow, they even misspelled my name. I said what I thought, not what I heard.

You said you don't mind being wrong, but it sure seems like you do.

It's only natural that when the press gets involved with talking about next gen console rumors that we take their past performance into account.

aegies

You know, given that both the numbers we can easily check are off by a lot (Wii U uses ~30W, Piston ~40), that doesn't really fill me with confidence that the other one is correct. Although it should be.

I was going off of the listed specs for their power supplies, not their estimated draw. And I wasn't talking about piston, because those specs hadn't been released yet.

There's a difference between something I'm predicting based on a variety of factors, and things I hear from sources. My comments about halo 4 in 2011 were based on my own conjecture. I'm pretty sure I said early last year that I was wrong and that a new Xbox wouldn't be out in 2012.

i-Lo

Expectations should be tempered. It's not really all that rosy.

The cpu is 8 small jaguar cores at 1.6 ghz
The ram can very well be 8Gb of slow ddr3 ram.
The gpu can very well be 1.5 teraflop 8000 series gpu that lacks raw horsepower.

C'mon, just a few pages ago, you said that people's head would explode if they learned the specs of the alpha dev kit and insinuated that the final power of the console may be very close to it. If they were using a high end 7XXX GPU, possibly 7950 iirc from pictures of a dev kit, I am pretty sure MS is targeting at least 2TF.

Don't play with us like this mang.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No worries, it's just that 300MB would be a pretty big piece of silicon to dedicate. :p

According dkanter's article here, http://www.realworldtech.com/iedm-2010/3/, the 32nm eDRAM arrays are >11Mbit/mm^2 (density). Things may differ depending on performance target for the eDRAM & signalling or other design issues (e.g. Power 7 eDRAM arrays are quite spread out). Things may have changed since then, of course (process improvements & iterations). Power7+ die might be useful to compare there, but again, things will differ between how they'd design it as an L3 for P7+ vs a GPU or other (who knows).

edit:

The arrays in the photo within are 1Mbit @ ~ 0.13mm^2 (80 tiles of eDRAM per P7+ i.e. 80Mbit = 10MB per P7+ core), so ~8Mbit/mm^2.
http://www.hotchips.org/wp-content/...C24.29.815-Power7-Taylor-IBM-120828-Final.pdf

It's a bit hard to compare, given the different demands on I/O. Each P7 core has a 256-bit I/O to the local eDRAM, which is fairly low, but then they're also clocked very high, so there'd be a need for a bunch of circuitry for refreshing plus functionality as a local/global cache.

So 256MB would be about 256 sq mm. Add in the guts of an 885o and some tiny wee jaguar cores and you're at about the rumored 5-600 sq mm.

So it could have a ton of edram?

Certainly 10MB was limiting on the 360 with deferred rendering engines, and if they are going for 1080p and mitigating for slower main ram they'll need a lot more than 10MB.

I think 128MB wouldn't be unreasonable

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thanks for clarifying. Good to know, but I hope they do go after some more permanent exclusives. Mass Effect was a huge loss for them, even with all the work they put in for the first one.
Was it really such a huge loss though? Mass Effect 3 sold more on 360 by a massive margin.

You know, given that both the numbers we can easily check are off by a lot (Wii U uses ~30W, Piston ~40), that doesn't really fill me with confidence that the other one is correct. Although it should be.

I thought in the video we saw of X3 (not piston) was 20W. I think he was referring to that.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Uuuuuuhhh... you have no idea what you're talking about.

2gigs of game-dedicate RAM is already too much. Developers have been working with very little and doing quite a lot with it. 8gigs is just a stupid luxury that's just going to add to the cost towards the consumer for very little gain.

CPU and GPU will bottleneck the console way before RAM.

CPU and GPU bottleneck way before ram, eh? Just like this generation? Ram became a problem right away. You can use tricks for new effects, increase performance. But storage? You can't make it any bigger. Compression comes at a perf cost so it negates work you've done for what? Slightly sharper textures? It's not worth it.

Xbox 360 was built with a 5 year generation in mind
Xbox Next will be built with 10-15 year generation in mind

8 GB is fairly necessary, for a couple reasons.

they're loading off blu-ray most likely so they can do pre-caching for next levels... Load times will be shit so they need to curb that fast

big open world games have been suffering due to ram constraints. Look at what happened to skyrim on ps3. Look at all the games which have muddy textures... MS stopped trying to add features to the guide because of 32 MB wall.

Didn't aegies drop a bomb in another thread that the Durango CPU would be an APU? So are we still looking at an APU + discreet GPU as is rumored for the PS4 as well?

Also, I think we're looking at at least 64 MB of eDRAM in this sucker as well (on the GPU). Especially if they go w/ 4 Gbit DDR3 chips. Main RAM bandwidth would probably be in the vicinity of 51.2 GB/s if they use a 256 bit bus. Don't know if that's feasible, but worth discussing at least.

That's impressive that a game went from being Xbox3 exclusive to being released for current gen console(s) all in the space of a year. They must have downgraded the assets and re-written code pretty fast...

Durante

I was going off of the listed specs for their power supplies, not their estimated draw. And I wasn't talking about piston, because those specs hadn't been released yet.
So the PSU spec for PS4/720 is 170-200 Watts? Or did you go by PSU spec for 2 of them and power draw for the other 2?

It's only natural that when the press gets involved with talking about next gen console rumors that we take their past performance into account.

He wasn't wrong. It it's true that MS had intended at one point to release the system in 2012.

Stop being such a bitter soul

That's impressive that a game went from being Xbox3 exclusive to being released for current gen console(s) all in the space of a year. They must have downgraded the assets and re-written code pretty fast...

Year and a half more likely.

aegies

Didn't Aegies drop a bomb in another thread that the Durango CPU would be an APU? So are we still looking at an APU + discreet GPU as is rumored for the PS4 as well?

Also, I think we're looking at at least 64 GB of eDRAM in this sucker as well (on the GPU). Especially if they go w/ 4 Gbit DDR3 chips. Main RAM bandwidth would probably be in the vicinity of 51.2 GB/s w/ a 256 bit bus. Don't know if that's feasible, but worth discussing at least.

At this point, I think I might have misunderstood my source re: APU + GPU in Durango. It still sounds like a possibility for Orbis though.

He wasn't wrong. It it's true that MS had intended at one point to release the system in 2012.

It made me feel better that there was originally a console release planned for 2012, but that doesn't make me right. My prediction was wrong. It's fine. I can live with it.

Interfectum

The cost of this new Xbox should be legendary. All that tech and we haven't even heard about Kinect 2.0, the controller, etc.

King_Moc

Banned

Why would you actually want a particular console to have more exclusives? All you're asking for is that PC and Playstation gamers don't get to play it. And that sucks.

At this point, I think I might have misunderstood my source re: APU + GPU in Durango. It still sounds like a possibility for Orbis though.

It made me feel better that there was originally a console release planned for 2012, but that doesn't make me right. My prediction was wrong. It's fine. I can live with it.

Thanks for the clarification!

You can just point to release dates by publishers-- how everything seemed to be bunching up at the end of 2012, and then all of a sudden half of the games seemed to get delayed to the first half of 2013. I'm sure those delays started happening soon after word got out that the new Xbox was being delayed.

Stop being a banana rider.

Facts are facts, and 2012 came and went without a new Xbox whatever you choose to believe MS intended.

Also fact: Arthur did say earlier in 2012 that he had heard 2012 was going to be the year, but at some point before E3 they changed course and pushed it to this year. I listened to that episode.

Karak

I am sure he is fine with it. Check his posts elsewhere he seems to be ok with it and gives the data that he gives.
The internet is a hard place to express exactly what you are trying to say without coming off a bit weird at times.

Add in the fact that MS moves their shit around constantly.

DieH@rd

Banned
Real next gen is here.

no_and_noy-2htre5.gif

:D

My gut feeling too. Which would give Sony a big advantage no?

I mean considering what we know.

Stop being a banana rider.

Facts are facts, and 2012 came and went without a new Xbox whatever you choose to believe MS intended.

Dude this ain't a competition. And you are just acting like someone who is yelling at the clouds. This about SPECULATION man, guy doesn't own MS. He made a prediction, and I bet you have made your quite share of failed predictions in your life. What are you adding to the discussion?

A whole bunch of nothing man.

TheOddOne

Was it really such a huge loss though? Mass Effect 3 sold more on 360 by a massive margin.
You’re right, in the long run it did not matter. However it would have been interesting to see how well the franchise would have fared on one console, from sales to image of the console.

Why would you actually want a particular console to have more exclusives? All you're asking for is that PC and Playstation gamers don't get to play it. And that sucks.
Well, couldn’t you say this about pretty much any console? I really don’t see a problem about it at all. Exclusives are one of the selling points.

Top Bottom