• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RYSE will be a Xbox One exclusive, more info at E3

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nobody has seen it.

Now don't let logic cloud his judgement!

The fact that its an xbox exclusive means it needs to be really damn special for me to care enough to buy it and the console for it. Its an action game by Crytek made for Xbox only with Kinect features? Yeah. Chances are good I can live without it given the other stuff we know for the console so far.

We all read it. It's vague as hell. The fact they have to hype up controller based gameplay for an exclusive coming from Crytek of all devs shows how fucked this situation is.

Probably because it was initially announced for Kinect on the 360, to avoid any knee-jerk reactions like those found in the post im quoting.

I think it's conceptually more interesting than any of the next-gen titles we've seen so far. That doesn't mean it will end up being any good but I'm looking forward to seeing it at E3.

Akira_83

Banned
At some point during the conference it was said that there would be hybird kinect/controller based games and the example was raising your hands and controller upward to raise your sheild. I'm guessing this is how this game will play. No kinect to move of course but certain actions will be gesture based.

and that would be just as awful as kinect only

Striek

I can't believe they had to write "Controller based gameplay enhanced by Kinect" in the PR materials. Shows how on the nose Kinect got since the game was announced.

I'm keeping a close eye on this, it could be MS's God of War, or at least that was the impression the trailer I saw gave.

The fact that its an xbox exclusive means it needs to be really damn special for me to care enough to buy it and the console for it. Its an action game by Crytek made for Xbox only with Kinect features? Yeah. Chances are good I can live without it given the other stuff we know for the console so far.

So this would have been a 'Day 1!' then if it was a PS4 exclusive?

dancmc

man; the vitriol for kinect 2.0 is too funny; I for one am hoping it's great since it's going to be such a focus for MS this gen

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So this would have been a 'Day 1!' then if it was a PS4 exclusive?

Nope. Action game by Crytek using camera features? Chances are pretty good I wont care, no matter which console. An X1 exclusive action game by Crytek using camera features? Chance of me not giving a damn are about 100% because it means an investment of 500€ more. I'd care more about it if it were on a console that appeals to me, but not that much either I guess. I am looking for potential X1 games that might interest me enough to consider buying the console, this almost certainly wont be it.

So, 12 to go.

def sim

man; the vitriol for kinect 2.0 is too funny; I for one am hoping it's great since it's going to be such a focus for MS this gen

Have there been many good impressions for Kinect 2.0? If not, the vitriol is understandable considering the Kinect only did voice recognition and dancing games well.

derFeef

Nope. Action game by Crytek using camera features? Chances are pretty good I wont care, no matter which console. An X1 exclusive action game by Crytek using camera features? Chance of me not giving a damn about 100%. I'd care more about it if it were on a console that appeals to me, but not that much either I guess.

We don't even know what those features are yet....

The vitriol is based on how awful the first Kinect was. So it seems pretty valid to me.

The funny part is people expecting it to suddenly be worthwhile because it responds quicker and sees you in a higher definition.

Recon_NL

Banned
ba0c7231ee96ba55740e8685d17e0bd0.gif

Dysun

Kinect 2.0 is the new tacked-on waggle that everybody hates!
I pleasantly ignored it since it wasn't mandatory until now lol

real exclusive like Halo, or fake exclusive like Mass Effect, Bioshock, Braid, Limbo, GTAIV episodes etc?

would be good to know in advance.

Toma

We don't even know what those features are yet....

I know, but based on experience, I cant think of many action games that benefitted from any of these possible features and werent just used to show off the gimmicky nature of the tech. Sure, its possible they come up with something that no one has ever seen before, but as I said, chances of me caring are rather low. Sony had the same gimmicky stuff for their Move demos back for PS3, which I would care about in the same way, with the difference that I care a tiny-bit more about it if its on a console that I actually plan on picking up (because the initial investment will be made anyway).

The vitriol is based on how awful the first Kinect was. So it seems pretty valid to me.

The funny part is people expecting it to suddenly be worthwhile because it responds quicker and sees you in a higher definition.

Yup, this. There is no reason for me to believe in it being interesting other than a one time "novelty". *shrug*

Akira_83

Banned
i dont care if Kinect 2.0 is revolutionary in voice and face recognition... i dont WANT those features in my games

you could argue that the multitouch and nice capacitive screens on the iphone really pushed forward the idea of playing games on a touchscreen device

but i still wont touch (no pun intended) with a 10 foot pole

its not just vitriol, its complete lack of interest in using a product like that

Ive been using standard analog and button inputs for the last 15+ years and i have no desire or need to change that

luckily PS4 seems right up my alley

it's funny how most of the ex ea partner devs, are now making exclusives for xbox one

insomniac xbox one
crytek xbox one

respawn xbox one heheh

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
'controller based gameplay'

gee what a selling point

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
BruiserBear said:

So true. The limitations of Kinect in terms of design practicality remain because latency and resolution were never the big issue; controllers offer precise, unambiguous, input while optical recognition is inherently "fuzzy".

Huff

Banned
I hope the reason it's been forever in development was because they scratched whatever they had the last time they showed it

dancmc

There is this. Looks pretty impressive IMO.

I do hope that it turns out to be a really well implemented feature set. One; I am excited to try new ideas incorporated into games (hoping XONE or PS4 get oculus rift support too) as long as they are done well. Two; since MS is making it a mandatory part of their system; it benefits anyone who owns their system (I know most of GAF seems to not want it now; but I will still be buying both new systems this fall)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Boy, when you have to actually try to tease people to look forward to your game by assuring that it is "controller-based"...interesting times.

derFeef

Boy, when you have to actually try to tease people to look forward to your game by assuring that it is "controller-based"...interesting times.
If there would not have been any mention of it, everyone would scream Kinect anyway. Instead they mention it right up front what it is and everyone is screaming "controller mentioning, lol" ...interesting times.

LilZippa

1 forza + 1 q dream + ryse = 12 more exclusives and 6 more new ip right?

edit: forgot respawn game -> so 5 more new ip and 11 more exclusives

Top Bottom