• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Service is broke cause Trump & family vacationing across the US

Then its time for the senate and congress to give secrete service the authority to authorize and decline vacation requests.

meaning they can tell the president NO, you cannot go on vacation for the third time this month it is not in the budget.

KingV

180K salary is insane, i can almost guarantee that you can find people to do it for a fraction of that. Hell, seal team 6 makes about a third of that.

Gonna depend a lot on your rank for seals. Maybe the most junior enlisted guys make a third or so of that, but senior enlisted and officers get a lot closer.

They will also see a fair amount of their pay be tax free if they are actually going into combat zones. To say they make $60k per year is actually kind of complicated because seals potentially qualify for a lot of various types of special pay, but also probably don't qualify for it every month

rackham

Banned
I don't know what kind of benefits Secret Service get but people in the military get pretty great benefits when they get out.

Would be interesting to see the budget breakdown per person and for which activities. If you are the President, stop going on weekly golf trips. If you are his direct family, maybe take into account some of this stuff when doing your trips.

mcfrank

And most of the money they have spent going over budget protecting the Trump family has gone to the Trump family. I feel like I am taking crazy pills

Red

Then its time for the senate and congress to give secrete service the authority to authorize and decline vacation requests.

meaning they can tell the president NO, you cannot go on vacation for the third time this month it is not in the budget.
Yeah. Seems like a common sense measure at this point. Is there any limit on presidential vacations? Like at what point do weekly breaks become a dereliction of duty?

LakeEarth

And most of the money they have spent going over budget protecting the Trump family has gone to the Trump family. I feel like I am taking crazy pills

Exactly, it's not JUST that they have to spend more money than ever. It's that a lot of that money has to go to Trump-owned properties. Not to mention the stuff his properties can cut back on because of the added 'free' security. It's a fucking racket.

Tovarisc

All part of the plan, tovarisch.

Dominic-West-What-the-fuck-did-I-do.gif

Can't Congress authorize an increased budget on condition of the Trump coterie limiting their leisure and business travel?

They could do this, they won't because he'll throw a tantrum

I'd rather they just say "you can go on your vacation but you won't have any protection".

I realllly don't want them to do that

But we need to ban transgender people from the military because it's too costly.

As sad as it is, these things touch different parts of the budget so they don't really affect each other

Glix

I wonder how big a toll the office space in Trump Tower that trump made them pay rent for took. Insane.

Makes you wonder how fucked the Secret Service would be if Romney won in 2012. He has a huge Mormon family, right?

less fucked under Romney. Remember trump only vacations at his hotels and golf courses, so the secret service has to rent the expensive as fuck rooms to protect this fuck.

each marsalago trip was rumored to cost the gov between 2 and 4 million dollars. now imagine how much the secret service was paying of that, 1-2 million? each trip just ot marsalago

rjinaz

Cant imagine how Fox would have spun this if the same exact circumstances happened under Obama

It's pretty easy actually. There would be a giant headline up right now

SECRET SERVICE OUT OF MONEY DUE TO OBAMA VACATIONS
Obama spending out of control. The American people continue to pay for Obama's near weekly vacations. When will congress step in?

I doubt they were all jet setting on the regular and visiting their fucking golf resorts every week.

less fucked under Romney. Remember trump only vacations at his hotels and golf courses, so the secret service has to rent the expensive as fuck rooms to protect this fuck.

each marsalago trip was rumored to cost the gov between 2 and 4 million dollars. now imagine how much the secret service was paying of that, 1-2 million? each trip just ot marsalago

But his immediate family and his grandchildren would need constant security detail, right?

Shauni

I could see Congress passing a law to limit his vacations, honestly. No one thought that they would take sanction powers away from him and they did, because they know 100% he can't be trusted with them. They may not yet be willing to take him head on in big areas, but in smaller areas where it's not really a huge issue to most people, I can see them doing it. Not expecting it per say, but I could see it potentially happening.

But his immediate family and his grandchildren would need constant security detail, right?

not necessarily, in addition, if they are consistent with there character pre presidential dad, then they would be home bodies, and rarely vacation.

most of the costs of protection that has drained the secret service has been from travel and luxury accommodations and the costs associated with it.

EX. I believe the secret service must do this when renting a suite for the pres

rooms

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

President stays in room 5, all rooms surrounding, above and below must also be rented out for security purposes.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
No one expected them to have to rent an entire floor of an office building owned by the President in one of the most expensive cities in the world and pay market value.

Going back into the Trump's pocket. That''s awesome. And he'll be able to essentially do that for the rest of his life.

Who's the senile old man now liberals?

*sigh*

If I had to hazard a guess, whatever admin coming after him will probably put restrictions on the Secret Service protection just for an easy political win

Tovarisc

If I had to hazard a guess, whatever admin coming after him will probably put restrictions on the Secret Service protection just for an easy political win

No they wont. No administration wants to gamble with risk of assassinations and other fun stuff like that by limiting how and where head(s) of nation are protected.

Top Bottom