• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seven Dead, Several Hospitalized in Isla Vista Mass Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KissVibes

Banned
By making this killer famous we're giving him what he wanted and potentially encouraging future murderers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

While I agree that there should be a limit on the coverage of this very sick, awful indivigual, by trying to ignore situations like these you potentially hamper these ability to prevent these terrible events from happening in the future.

Hopefully people who see this story will alert the authorities about friends and family that display similar behavior and help for themselves if they feel like they're relating to this guy in any way.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I saw one video of his in the last week on reddit, and I think one of the commenters said they got a Patrick Bateman vibe. Spot on, unfortunately. Very sad for the victims and their families. Such a shame that his apparent mental illness wasn't recognised and treated.

Zaph

That video came across like complete satire. Mental health is incredibly serious and parents need to get better educated at picking up the signs - there is no way someone like that, who freely attached his real name to those crazy posts and videos, wasn't displaying obvious signs of instability to his family.

My heart goes out to the victim's families. I cannot imagine the pain they're in.

tkscz

I would guess Narcissistic personality disorder or sociopathy.

Does not seem to be suffering from mania.

Even though we could in layperson's terms say that this guy is delusional, I don't think it's delusional in a psychotic sense.

FYI I have a degree in psychology but do not think my opinions are necessarily right, just my opinion from the video and his posts.

Enough to have your opinion hold a little more weight than mine.

I'm trying to make sense of the youtube videos. The most recent ones were uploaded 6 and 7 hours ago (and theres ones going back months so its not a rehost). But the shooting occurred around 7 hours ago? Was he uploading videos to youtube as he went>?

dejay

Banned
Jesus those videos were messed up. Seems like his Youtube account was a last ditched attempt to get the beautiful women and when that failed he gave up but decided to take people out with him.

tehbible

I'm trying to make sense of the youtube videos. The most recent ones were uploaded 6 and 7 hours ago (and theres ones going back months so its not a rehost). But the shooting occurred around 7 hours ago? Was he uploading videos to youtube as he went>?

Thie event occurred at around 9:30 PM Pacific. Looks as though he posted the youtube videos then went on his rampage. This literally just happened. National news will most likely pick this up. Already on the front page of CNN.com

This is going to be a controversial opinion.. And while it would not have prevented what happened with this kid... Having legalized means for males to release tension and desire through some type of prostitution would greatly reduce violence in societies like ours. Testosterone is a hell of a motivator and drug.
There.
I said it.

Tugatrix

I would guess Narcissistic personality disorder or sociopathy.

Does not seem to be suffering from mania.

Even though we could in layperson's terms say that this guy is delusional, I don't think it's delusional in a psychotic sense.

FYI I have a degree in psychology but do not think my opinions are necessarily right, just my opinion from the video and his posts.

We don't use in psychology the term sociopathy any more, now it's Anti-Social Personality Disorder. But this case don't fit APD your first guess is my guess, but I can't be sure just from a 6min video.

MormaPope

Banned
This is going to be a controversial opinion.. And while it would not have prevented what happened with this kid... Having legalized means for males to release tension and desire through some type of prostitution would greatly reduce violence in societies like ours. Testosterone is a hell of a motivator and drug.
There.
I said it.

Dude could've bought time with women at a Nevada brothel 5 days a week if he wanted to, he seemed to focus on rejection of what he thought he wanted over the act of sex itself.

What sucks is that it feels so natural and tempting to mock someone like this, but you're likely making the problem worse by doing so.

Like this type of person clearly deserves to be taken down a notch, but I feel like having it done over the internet removes all humanity from the process.

I also wonder if he'd adapt and learn to socialize if he didn't have the internet to depend on.
Or if he would bother to go on the murdering spree if he didn't have the platform to stroke his ego.

Stuff we all have to adapt to.

FZZ

Banned
Fucking terrible. May those who died rest in piece and the families affected get compensation.

He also seems like he had a legit mental disorder.

It's such a fucking horrible situation all around.

P. Fembot

Banned
We don't use in psychology the term sociopathy any more, now it's Anti-Social Personality Disorder. But this case don't fit APD your first guess is my guess, but I can't be sure just from a 6min video.

Yup it's been a few years since I graduated haha.

I agree that NPD is what you could get from the video. He should have gotten help from his family :( Horrible turn of events.

Enco

Holy fucking shit.

WOW.

I saw him on that thread and watched his video. Saw his video and totally thought he's got that fucked up killer vibe.

Wow....

Dude could've bought time with women at a Nevada brothel 5 days a week if he wanted to, he seemed to focus on rejection of what he thought he wanted over the act of sex itself.
This is true. However the stigma of knowing it's mostly illegal and frowned upon that our society has done for that is also troublesome for someone already suffering from issues with self image. As I said.. In this case it would not have prevented what happened.

From the Body Building forum:

This.

Dude seriously channels Patrick Bateman (the film one, portrayed by Christian Bale) for some inexplicable reason. Narcissistic, superficial, intense, angry, supremely unfulfilled.

EDIT: Add entitled to that list. LOL. Keep making videos cuz, keep hustlin.

Absolutely spot on description. To which someone responds with this.

Also this video too is very alarming, in which he watches another couple in envy from his car.

A very disturbed man. It's a wonder that no one from his family/friends saw the signs that something was seriously wrong with his mental state.

Oh there's plenty of us from poor families, that are really fucked up too. I wouldn't have minded my parents to be loaded.

Oh, yes, indeed. But I am pleased that I acquired some form of humility, and realised that, no matter what I do, I will never be perfect. And also, I realised that some people will think otherwise about themselves. Sorry, but these are always upper-middle class or higher. Well, in my experience, anyway.

EDIT: Ugh. The comments section, though. "Wat a fggt this guy was", among other horrid things. This is going to get blown out of proportion~

tkscz

Yup it's been a few years since I graduated haha.

I agree that NPD is what you could get from the video. He should have gotten help from his family :( Horrible turn of events.

He probably shouldn't have gone to the internet to vent either. This is the place where the bullied go to bully. So his ideals would get him straight attacked, which it did. We already know why his father didn't speak to him, probably barely saw his son with his profession. While I can't forgive him, I can't say I don't feel bad for him.

zoozilla

He obviously had some sort of mental illness.

I agree, though I tend to think most people who commit murder have some kind of mental illness.

That video's extremely disturbing. I wonder if there was anything anyone could have said to him to change his mind...

Sneds

For the record, has any murderer cited that another murderer enticed them to do what they wanted to do? Severe mental illness combined with not caring about human life anymore or despising human life is what causes these murder sprees. "Future murderers" don't exist because of other murderers.

The more people don't acknowledge and accept mental illness existing, the more you encourage future mass murder.

After a widely publicised mass-murder, shortly after we see a spike in similar crimes.

I'm not suggesting the crime shouldn't be reported and I'm certainly not saying that mental health problems shouldn't be discussed but that doesn't necessitate fixating on the individual killer in a sensationalist fashion that turns him into almost an anti-hero.

While I agree that there should be a limit on the coverage of this very sick, awful indivigual, by trying to ignore situations like these you potentially hamper these ability to prevent these terrible events from happening in the future.

Hopefully people who see this story will alert the authorities about friends and family that display similar behavior and help for themselves if they feel like they're relating to this guy in any way.

We'll see how the news reports it.

Busty

Banned
Holy. Shit.

The real irony here is that the kid looks pretty good so I imagine that the thing that repelled women was his personality rather than his physical appearance.

All in all it's really upsetting.

Jacobi

Banned
Wonder why he didn't get laid, he did have the looks...

And it's weird as hell you can look up what these massacre guys liked so much more thorough than before... Thanks to Web 2.0. Seems like this guy liked Pokemon and Conker's BFD and Game of Thrones.

That video is something else. He obviously had a disturbed mind; it's a shame his parents didn't get him help before he committed this tragedy.

Tragic. Kid clearly needed help. If he wasn't so damn unbalanced he could have easily had dates/girlfriends/whatever, but he just seems like one of those kids everyone else would know is "the weird kid."

He calls himself a "supreme gentleman" and a "true alpha male" and has these sinister laughs. I know the kid grew up around a family involved with the film industry, but I think this kid took it a bit too close to heart as he seems like something ripped from a movie.

Acorn

He was really trying to pull off a movie villian vibe in that monologue with the forced "heh heh heh" after every sentence.

Phocks

The scariest thing about reading this situation and watching this guy's videos is that I definitely use to have thoughts like these awhile ago. Blaming the world and not realizing it's one self's fault.

Zamorro

A very disturbed man. It's a wonder that no one from his family/friends saw the signs that something was seriously wrong with his mental state.

Description of his oldest youtube video:
I temporarily took all of my Vlog's down due to the alarm it caused with some people in my family. I will post more updates in the future.

I guess they did notice.

Maybe he just refused all help. It's pretty clear he was in complete denial about his own condition.

Holy. Shit.

The real irony here is that the kid looks pretty good so I imagine that the thing that repelled women is his personality rather than his physical appearance.

All in all it's really upsetting.
I'm pretty sure nothing repelled women. He was probably insanely shy and didn't pick up on social cues. Channeled all that frustration and anger he had towards himself and his social inabilities on others while spewing stuff about himself he didn't even belief as an overcompensation.

breakfuss

Just so sad, man. I know I shouldn't have but I watched more of the videos on his channel. Creepy as fuck. The 80s music blasting in his beemer? The maniacal laughing. He clearly anticipated people would flock to his channel, which means he may have been planning for a while. And it really doesn't appear he was "sick" or deranged, though I'm obviously not qualified to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom