• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seven Dead, Several Hospitalized in Isla Vista Mass Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeMaxX

Don't understand what you're saying with the bolded. If someone is one step away from killing other human beings with firearms for any reason, that's mental illness. It is not normal to feel that way constantly, it is not normal for people to despise random human beings so much they feel the need to kill them.

Mental illness is underdiagnosed, people don't want to admit they're having difficulty with handling life because of the stigma regarding mental illness. No one is being disregarded, its about accepting the fact that people are born with different brain and personality features.

It's not to say that there's no mental illness involved. What I mean is, if you disregard killers as just "those with mental illnesses," you're basically resigning yourself to never fixing the problem. "Oh well of course he killed those people; he had a mental illness!" I don't believe that's the right way to look at the issue. That ignores all other causes. What if a kid got bullied everyday and after months of noone caring at all, he finally snaps and shoots up a school. Is the problem that he had a "mental illness"? He might have one, but he probably wouldn't have shot up the school if he wasn't bullied everyday.

Now it's obvious from our perspective that this guy had some issues. However, we should strive to understand why he had those issues and whether this all could have been prevented.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
so he appeared on reddit before the shooting?

Well, as much as he appeared on youtube or any of the other forums people have posted. Someone posted his video in a "look at this idiot" kind of way. It was the one where he's just talking to the camera about how great he is and how it's such a tragedy that women aren't effectively begging him to marry them.

ICKE

Banned
Why has youtube not removed said videos, I assume they are still available since people are posting links even in this thread?

There really is a problem when other individuals who are mentally ill can find peer support via such messages. Not only that, it's tragic that we always concentrate on the irrelevant aspects while the relatives will once again have to suffer through some sort of a media circus.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I saw the video earlier hoping it was fake. guess this confirms it. sad for victims.

MormaPope

Banned
It's not to say that there's no mental illness involved. What I mean is, if you disregard killers as just "those with mental illnesses," you're basically resigning yourself to never fixing the problem. "Oh well of course he killed those people; he had a mental illness!" I don't believe that's the right way to look at the issue. That ignores all other causes. What if a kid got bullied everyday and after months of noone caring at all, he finally snaps and shoots up a school. Is the problem that he had a "mental illness"? He might have one, but he probably wouldn't have shot up the school if he wasn't bullied everyday.

Now it's obvious from our perspective that this guy had some issues. However, we should strive to understand why he had those issues and whether this all could have been prevented.

What? No, not at all. Doing that you're accepting that there is a problem. Thinking that applying some sort of label pushes the problem away is asinine. People have undiagnosed mental illness due to whatever reasons? Help that person with mental illness. You can't prevent bullying with medication and therapy, you can however treat the terrible affects of bullying with therapy and maybe medication.

Treating and diagnosing mental illness itself is a problem, not something to pretend other issues don't exist.

DJ88

Fucking hell man. Can't even walk outside and enjoy life with a friend or loved one without the possibility of some fuckwit like this showing up and ruining lives because he can't stand seeing others happy. Enfuriating.

And sorry if this was already mentioned from the article but, holy shit.

One woman identified as Sierra told Sanchez she was approached by two men in a black BMW. The driver flashed a small black handgun and asked '"Hey, what's up?"'

Sierra, who was visibly shaken, said she thought it was an airsoft gun and kept walking. She said seconds later, she felt something buzz by her head and quickly realized they were bullets. Three or four of them.

Sierra said she ran into a nearby home filled with strangers and explained what happened. She looked down and saw her iPhone had been shattered.

Vashetti

Banned
Fucking hell man. Can't even walk outside and enjoy life with a friend or loved one without the possibility of some fuckwit like this showing up and ruining lives because he can't stand seeing others happy. Enfuriating.

And sorry if this was already mentioned in the article but, holy shit.

Who was the other person in the car?! An accomplice?

How did her iphone get shattered?

Got hit by a bullet? She was probably walking with it held in front of her, so lucky she didn't get hit.

zoozilla

I am pretty sure that the internet as an outlet isn't doing these people any favours either.

Nope. At a fundamental level, people need other people. In this guy's case, a therapist would've been ideal, but I think having anyone with whom he could discuss his deep-seated concerns would have benefited him.

And I think it is a little harder for guys to find someone willing to listen to that kind of personal stuff, especially now when terms like 'alpha male,' 'simp,' etc. are thrown around on the internet.

The Supreme gentleman takes responsibly for his own actions. Women have zero obligation to like you.
What a sick person.

He tried to put on that sinister laugh but he just looked like a dork. No wonder he got picked on.

pants

What? No, not at all. Doing that you're accepting that there is a problem. Thinking that applying some sort of label pushes the problem away is asinine.
It is in fact very often the way people deal with issues like these, by making the bad guy 'one of them' so they can be demonized and no further attention need be given to the matter.

That is the reality we live in, as soon as something can be comfortably pigeon-holed very little is done to further investigate, debate or learn from what happened.Typical human reaction to try and feel safe, like this cant happen to 'our kids' in 'our neighborhoods'

params7

Banned
narcissistic, sociopathic, bad upbringing, lack of social skills, no family or friends close enough to vent frustrations to, easy access to guns, lot of free time, and I can see why this can happen. I don't feel anger, just pity and tragic for the victims.

Help those who can't help themselves. Yes he was an ego manic but putting them down further only adds fire to their situation. Sometimes all one needs is some empathy, someone to truly confide in and to be understood. People like that will listen and will probably see their faults if they could get some perspective that wasn't " you're a supreme gentleman? lol what a cunt" "do it fgt!!". America can't support anti-bullying regimens on one hand then make fun of mentally wrought and isolated cases like him on the other.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
So how quickly does Fox news link this to Hunger games and demand it banned?

You'd think having some kind of connection to the Hunger Games movies would get him some action. Ladies love that shit.

GorillaJu

How did her iphone get shattered?

Yeah that goes unexplained. Could the sound of a gunshot shatter a small glass object? Seems unlikely. Maybe she just had it in her pocket and accidentally smashed it into something running away. Seems like it'd be more or less obvious to tell through deformation if the phone took a bullet.

Caesnd

narcissistic, sociopathic, bad upbringing, lack of social skills, no family or friends close enough to vent frustrations to, easy access to guns, lot of free time, and I can see why this can happen. I don't feel anger, just pity and tragic for the victims.

Help those who can't help themselves. Yes he was an ego manic but putting them down further only adds fire to their situation. Sometimes all one needs is some empathy, someone to truly confide in and to be understood. People like that will listen and will probably see their faults if could get some perspective that wasn't " you're a supreme gentleman? lol what a cunt" "do it fgt!!". America can't support anti-bullying regimens on one hand then make fun of mentally wrought and isolated cases like him on the other.

He might have had people to confide in. People that looked out for him and genuinely wanted to help him. Even so, it wouldn't matter. These things are about as natural as whirlwind or the change of seasons. It's one aspect of emotion just as much as any other. The hatred, and your contrasting viewpoint, just as well.

Enco

My video has generated more attention than I expected. Do you know how pride-wounding it is to appear to the world this way? Everyone who sees this now knows that I don't get girls. I shouldn't be appearing to the world this way. I should be out there, enjoying life with a beautiful girlfriend that I so rightfully deserve.

I don't understand why girls don't want me. I'm such a good catch. I'm sophisticated and intelligent. I've traveled all over the world, and I've walked the red carpet at several movie premieres.

In this video you'll see me walking on the red carpet of the premiere of the Hunger Games. My stepmom was a star in this French reality T.V. series, and I appear briefly. Skip to 31:30 and you'll see me walking the red carpet with my father and stepmom. I'm in the flamboyant blue shirt:

One of his comments

Maddocks

Watched the video. That laugh. It was like he was trying to be a super villain. But who really views the world like that? At one time in my life I blamed everyone else for me not being able to get girls and that blame turned into self reflection and I corrected the problem and now getting women is not an issue.. He seemed to be privileged, so why did he aim for girls who have the same background.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
His YouTube Channel videos are deeply fascinating and disturbing. It gives you a look at what goes inside the mind of such a person.

"Elliot Rodger added to Favorites and liked

10 Things That Could Wipe Out Life On Earth"

Oh...

GorillaJu

I'm confused why police say the suspect acted alone when witnesses claim that there were two men in the BMW. Am I missing something obvious?

MormaPope

Banned
I'm confused why police say the suspect acted alone when witnesses claim that there were two men in the BMW. Am I missing something obvious?

Would be really bad if his accomplice escaped with nobody being able to give a description. Maybe he killed his accomplice before killing himself as some sort of death pact?

Zaph

Description of his oldest youtube video:

I temporarily took all of my Vlog's down due to the alarm it caused with some people in my family. I will post more updates in the future.

I guess they did notice.

Maybe he just refused all help. It's pretty clear he was in complete denial about his own condition.

This post didn't get enough attention. Seems the family knew he wasn't stable but they either didn't take it seriously enough or he was resistant to getting help and they didn't force the issue.

Could the mass murder have been prevented had the forum reacted in a different way? Not to say that his crazy thoughts are warranted in any way, but constant bashing and insults could have potentially pushed him over.

I don't think so. The world only reacts one way to entitled pricks, and 99.9% of them never kill anyone over it. He chose to interact with the world in such a way that such responses were inevitable. Really, it's beneficial for people to get knocked off their high horse - hard. This guy was an anomaly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom