• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seven Dead, Several Hospitalized in Isla Vista Mass Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjontrix

Oh snap - it's HAPPENING!

BB misc on lockdown - threads that even have him making a post are getting deleted.

He was clearly mentally unstable though.

he was a handsome(and rich) kid, his issue with woman was clearly his attitude if those videos are anything to go by. RIP the victims, really sad he had to take people with him.

dejay

Banned
Where were the parents? It's clear he was disturbed.

Friends/family should have noticed this.

Which parent in their wildest dreams would believe their sullen but possibly well behaved child, who grew up happily before puberty, would do such a thing? Most just hope for the best. Perhaps they did seek help - we don't know.

(edit) Seems the family were aware something was wrong. If he was getting into guns they should have told someone.

SmokeMaxX

The scariest thing about reading this situation and watching this guy's videos is that I definitely use to have thoughts like these awhile ago. Blaming the world and not realizing it's one self's fault.

That's why I think it's dangerous to just disregard people like this as being "mentally ill." That puts a black and white image to a grey world. I'm sure there are a LOT of people like this who are one step away from doing something terrible, yet also that close to returning to normality if someone would reach out to them.

These sick fucks are fascinating to me. The fact that he uploaded videos is even crazier.

I feel sorry for the victims though. Just take your own life and end it there.

jerry1594

If it hasn't been mentioned already, Puahate is where PUA's congegregate to obsess about alpha-ness, beta-ness, strong or weak jawlines, negging, seduction stuff and just magnify their ultra neurotic insecurity.

breakfuss

he was a handsome(and rich) kid, his issue with woman was clearly his attitude if those videos are anything to go by. RIP the victims, really sad he had to take people with him.

That's the thing! Granted we don't know what kind of personality he had, but this kid couldn't get a date to prom?!

Zaph

Oh snap - it's HAPPENING!

BB misc on lockdown - threads that even have him making a post are getting deleted.

He was clearly mentally unstable though.
If they're deleting threads, not just locking them, isn't that destroying evidence?

lewisgone

Scary stuff. The guy seems so unhinged I'm amazed no one picked up that he needed help. Maybe he was just good at hiding it. Sad his life turned out the way it did, but it probably won't encourage any reforms as per usual. 6 students dead, 7 including him - let's see if that can get enough people to care.

This is insane, it's like some shallow 4chan meme character in real life, but gone off the rails. All the fedora/nice guy/women as objects/racist/doyouevenlift/tiny dick stuff, he was like a twisted physical manifestation of all kinds of different psychotic elements. He comes across as a textbook troll in those bodybuilding threads but it's all real. I honestly won't be able to look at these kind of internet characters the same way anymore.

SmokeMaxX

That's the thing! Granted we don't know what kind of personality he had, but this kid couldn't get a date to prom?!
He was probably severely introverted and didn't have a lot of friends. It's easy to blame the world when you don't have a strong support network. Seems as if there was noone to tell him differently when he was down on himself. Of course I'm sure his posting online didn't help (especially on the BB forums who are filled with alpha-males).

This is insane, it's like some shallow 4chan meme character in real life, but gone off the rails. All the fedora/nice guy/women as objects/racist/doyouevenlift/tiny dick stuff, he was like a twisted physical manifestation of all kinds of different psychotic elements. He comes across as a textbook troll in those bodybuilding threads but it's all real. I honestly won't be able to look at these kind of internet characters the same way anymore.

You simply cannot tell how people actually behave over the internet. You can only trust, really.

Ensirius

Scary stuff. The guy seems so unhinged I'm amazed no one picked up that he needed help. Maybe he was just good at hiding it. Sad his life turned out the way it did, but it probably won't encourage any reforms as per usual. 6 students dead, 7 including him - let's see if that can get enough people to care.

It won't and it never will. Always the same bullshit when stuff like this happens.We will talk about it for a couple of days, and then nothing will be done.

Worst part is I recognize places on those videos. Places I have been going to regularly..Same roads I used to take to go to school. This is seriously messed up.

May the victims rest in peace

kmax

What's amazing is that if he had a positive outlook at life, had been friendly with others and was just easy going overall, he'd have no problems getting some.

Now, we have a megalomaniac psycho that self pities himself for his own personal problems by taking it out on others.

Just sad. I feel bad for the victims.

It's kind of amazing that the BB forum had him solved to a T with the Bateman comparisons, yet his parents weren't getting him the help he sorely needed. Tragic.

MormaPope

Banned
That's why I think it's dangerous to just disregard people like this as being "mentally ill." That puts a black and white image to a grey world. I'm sure there are a LOT of people like this who are one step away from doing something terrible, yet also that close to returning to normality if someone would reach out to them.

Don't understand what you're saying with the bolded. If someone is one step away from killing other human beings with firearms for any reason, that's mental illness. It is not normal to feel that way constantly, it is not normal for people to despise random human beings so much they feel the need to kill them.

Mental illness is underdiagnosed, people don't want to admit they're having difficulty with handling life because of the stigma regarding mental illness. No one is being disregarded, its about accepting the fact that people are born with different brain and personality features.

GorillaJu

I am sure that the mods at bodybuilding can deliver threads as evidence to the police even after they've deleted them from public view. Probably on request from police, even. "Deleted" threads are still viewable by mods/admins on modern forum software.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
God damn that video, his "I'm an evil mastermind laugh" and all.

I would guess Narcissistic personality disorder or sociopathy.

Does not seem to be suffering from mania.

Even though we could in layperson's terms say that this guy is delusional, I don't think it's delusional in a psychotic sense.

FYI I have a degree in psychology but do not think my opinions are necessarily right, just my opinion from the video and his posts.

I have a bacherlor's in Psychology and I'm inclined to agree.

cacildo

I saw one video of his in the last week on reddit, and I think one of the commenters said they got a Patrick Bateman vibe. Spot on, unfortunately. Very sad for the victims and their families. Such a shame that his apparent mental illness wasn't recognised and treated.

so he appeared on reddit before the shooting?

Tugatrix

After watching some of the other videos is clear that the guy had serious personality issues, in such a grave degree that I'm amazed how nobody around him noted it.

Do you guys think it's a good thing that they delete videos, or that they should serve as some kind of warning?

If they keep the videos on youtube I know people will say things like: "that's what he wanted!" and other stuff. But you can't deny that it allows other people to look inside the mind of a sick individual and they might even recognize some people in it (without falsely accusing people of course).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Do you guys think it's a good thing that they delete videos, or that they should serve as some kind of warning?

If they keep the videos on youtube I know people will say things like: "that's what he wanted!" and other stuff. But you can't deny that it allows other people to look inside the mind of a sick individual and they might even recognize some people in it (without falsely accusing people of course).

That's a huge grey area tbh. But I must admit, watching the videos is fascinating.

He complains about not being invited to parties. One of his videos is him filming a party, even seems to be among friends going by the reaction of one of the guys. That was 3 years ago though, wonder what triggered his descent into madness.

Edit: Thinking about it, I guess he got rejected/friendzoned and didn't take it too well.

The beach couple video is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen. And this was filmed hours before the actual murders.

Arozay

It'a horrible that this asshole managed to get a gun and do what he did.

The videos are creepy because I would have just laughed him off as some sort meme in the making. His cheesy super villain delivery and angst comes across like shitty anime character, the Patrick Bateman comparison is spot on.

njean777

Guy def needed help. I am 25 years old and still a virgin, and I am not going around claiming that all women are evil, or threatening people because of my own problems. This guys seems to think that he doesn't have to put any effort in trying to find somebody and expects for the other person to do all the work because he has nice things to give them. Really odd way of thinking I must say.

TheContact

After watching some of the other videos is clear that the guy had serious personality issues, in such a grave degree that I'm amazed how nobody around him noted it.

Looks like their parents did talk to him at least once about it, he probably played it off like it was a joke or something and they never spoke about it again

xbhaskarx

Holy shit that video.... I had to turn it off, I couldn't keep watching it.

Creepy how people on that forum almost immediately compared him to Patrick Bateman, and then he ended up being a mass murderer.

One minute into that girls don't like me video and I can see how out of this world he is. Makes sense what girls don't like about him.

dejay

Banned
He complains about not being invited to parties. One of his videos is him filming a party, even seems to be among friends going by the reaction of one of the guys. That was 3 years ago though, wonder what triggered his descent into madness.

I guess his high school friends moved on, perhaps with girls, perhaps to other universities, and his social group reduced to zero.

FourMyle

Holy shit that guy was awkward as hell. I wonder what his home life must have been like while growing up. His family seems to be well off because that video of him filming the view from his dad's house looks like a rich area.

Vashetti

Banned
BB forum deleting his threads/posts is tampering with evidence.

I guess they don't want to be associated with the kid but too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom