• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV - Abigail Reveal Trailer

I'm legit blown away by the support Punk has received since EVO. He's insanely talented and his gameplay is super fun to watch but I feel like a crazy person. I watched him over the last year be the most arrogant and insufferable personality in SFV and yet him shedding tears after the top 8 has garnered him so much support. I legitimately don't understand it.
Because he's a kid.

Xeteh

All of his trash talk was in game, and, as far as I know, when he loses, he gives respect and doesn't blame the loss on anybody but himself. You're taking it way more personal than any of the players he knows are. From what I've heard he's a friendly, generous person who talks trash in game and then chill and talk about it over dinner after.

I might be taking it more personal than anyone he played but it immediately turned me off of him, I wanted to see him lose.

Punk played up the heel factor for entertainment, but I never got the impression that he was actually an asshole. It all seemed like good fun.

Maybe but I feel like if you play the heel you should expect the response, it felt super crass.

He's a little shit but he's not an asshole.

Not sure what the difference is.

A big thing is that he's only 18 years old. It seems many don't realize that. Another factor is that I at least always felt that he was more joking around when he was being arrogant rather than being serious about it. Basically just going along with being a character. And this is what I think of when I think of him

https://youtu.be/plrXU_SX_rM?t=96

How can you hate him? Dude has so much personality.

I legit hate the "he's 18, he's a kid". Dude is old enough to vote on the leaders and laws of the country.

He dropped combos in matches that mattered to taunt, I get that I might be more annoyed than the people he plays against but I still don't understand why after the one tournament he focused for that people are bending over backwards to show support. The guy taunted and looked down on the people he beat in every tournament over the last few months, why is he suddenly sympathetic?

Skilletor

He dropped combos in matches that mattered to taunt, I get that I might be more annoyed than the people he plays against but I still don't understand why after the one tournament he focused for that people are bending over backwards to show support. The guy taunted and looked down on the people he beat in every tournament over the last few months, why is he suddenly sympathetic?

Why do you care? You feel how you feel, and quite strongly, others don't.

Xeteh

Why do you care? You feel how you feel, and quite strongly, others don't.

I'm curious. I don't get why one tournament changed his perception so much. Hell, look at the response to FChamp making top 8. Dude has played the heel for years and tons respect it but tons of people hate him for it.

I don't hate Punk, if he was more likable I'd be behind him 100% because watching him play is sublime. I just don't get why people have rallied behind him so hard after how he's acted all year. It doesn't make sense to me.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
He's not calling people faggots and going after certain people for the way they look, dress, talk, etc like certain other FGC people. He's just simply using mind games to get an edge on his opponents and he doesn't go beyond anything other than saying he's the best and they suck which is true for the last six months. If you don't have a family or friend you grew up with who you taunted about being better than them in something then I can understand but everybody should know what it's like.

fresquito

I might be taking it more personal than anyone he played but it immediately turned me off of him, I wanted to see him lose.

Maybe but I feel like if you play the heel you should expect the response, it felt super crass.

Not sure what the difference is.

I legit hate the "he's 18, he's a kid". Dude is old enough to vote on the leaders and laws of the country.

Dude was supposed to be a national hero. Had he been Chinese, everybody would be mocking him to no end.

It's part of the culture they say. Wrong, it's part of the american kids culture.

JayEH

Has he gotten in any fights? Said anything racist or sexist? Verbally abuse or insult his opponents? No all he does is teabag and taunt sometimes. Fighting games are half mental and he's attempting to get a leg on his opponent.

He's young and cocky which is a dangerous combination and he got a hard lesson which should hopefully help with some of the juvenile behavior in game. (Same with knuckledu tbh) I haven't heard of anyone saying anything bad about the guy.

edit: lol I just realized this is the Abby thread.

Xeteh

He's not calling people faggots and going after certain people for the way they look, dress, talk, etc like certain other FGC people. He's just simply using mind games to get an edge on his opponents and he doesn't go beyond anything other than saying he's the best and they suck which is true for the last six months. If you don't have a family or friend you grew up with who you taunted about being better than them in something then I can understand but everybody should know what it's like.

I'd actually argue the opposite. I have immediate family that are the type that will lose 9 out of 10 times but the 10th they will talk all the shit like the last 9 didn't happen. It drives me insane, its why that attitude grates.

Has he gotten in any fights? Said anything racist or sexist? Verbally abuse or insult his opponents? No all he does is teabag and taunt sometimes. Fighting games are half mental and he's attempting to get a leg on his opponent.

He's young and cocky which is a dangerous combination and he got a hard lesson which should hopefully help with some of the juvenile behavior in game. (Same with knuckledu tbh) I haven't heard of anyone saying anything bad about the guy.

edit: lol I just realized this is the Abby thread.

You're taking my criticism like I'm saying he's a shit person. I'm not, I just don't understand the response. He has treated his opponents like they're beneath him and not worth his time, why are people suddenly acting like he's needing emotional support?

Anth0ny

I'm legit blown away by the support Punk has received since EVO. He's insanely talented and his gameplay is super fun to watch but I feel like a crazy person. I watched him over the last year be the most arrogant and insufferable personality in SFV and yet him shedding tears after the top 8 has garnered him so much support. I legitimately don't understand it.

think about how many people only watch evo when it comes to fighting games. they don't know of his reputation, they just know him as the young american kid who came THIS close to winning the big one only for the Japanese legend to take it in the end.

Because it doesn't seem like many take it to heart. They just seem him as playing around and having fun. And being 18 does matter. He's technically an adult, but there are still things he can't legally do. So seeing someone like that onstage clearly upset with his performance is going to get to people. Especially if they never viewed said person in a negative light in the first place. The impression I at least get is that people in the community really like Punk. I know i've seen numerous people state that he's really popular among Japanese players.

Skilletor

I'm curious. I don't get why one tournament changed his perception so much. Hell, look at the response to FChamp making top 8. Dude has played the heel for years and tons respect it but tons of people hate him for it.

I don't hate Punk, if he was more likable I'd be behind him 100% because watching him play is sublime. I just don't get why people have rallied behind him so hard after how he's acted all year. It doesn't make sense to me.

Like I said, you are interpreting this how you like. Punk is obviously better than almost everybody he plays. You wanted him to lose? Great. He wanted people to level up. You think players are deserving of respect? I think the only thing to respect is a W. Want him to stop teabagging. Stop losing to him. Seems like he's been having fun the past several tourneys I've watched. The bit with the Pokemon hats was hilarious. He's never been malicious, he's never made excuses, and when he has lost, he's hit the lab and come back better.

He's a kid. Despite your assertion that he's old enough to vote, whatever that means, it doesn't mean maturity. He comes from a poor household and has been thrust into eSports spotlight. He's figuring out what kind of player he is, who he wants to be. He's good for the scene. He's got personality, he helps people level up, and now after this loss, he'll learn from it and grow even more.

Xeteh

think about how many people only watch evo when it comes to fighting games. they don't know of his reputation, they just know him as the young american kid who came THIS close to winning the big one only for the Japanese legend to take it in the end.

Thats fair, I'm more talking about the people who are frequent to the FGC that would have seen him in the last year.

Because it doesn't seem like many take it to heart. They just seem him as playing around and having fun. And being 18 does matter. He's technically an adult, but there are still things he can't legally do. So seeing someone like that onstage clearly upset with his performance is going to get to people. Especially if they never viewed said person in a negative light in the first place. The impression I at least get is that people in the community really like Punk. I know i've seen numerous people state that he's really popular among Japanese players.

You're probably right, I admit that I find a lot of what he's done more annoying than most people. Again, I really don't mean to take away from Punk's skill... I legit think he's likely the best SFV player in the world right now, I just can't stand the taunting and arrogance... so when I see him lose and he's all devastated... I just see it from the stance at someone he's beaten at another tournament, they've put the effort out and tried their best and the guy that beat them acted like they were trash... He might have been doing it for the "lols" but it comes across as harsh... so I'm not going to feel for him when he gets crushed.

Like I said, you are interpreting this how you like. Punk is obviously better than almost everybody he plays. You wanted him to lose? Great. He wanted people to level up. You think players are deserving of respect? I think the only thing to respect is a W. Want him to stop teabagging. Stop losing to him. Seems like he's been having fun the past several tourneys I've watched. The bit with the Pokemon hats was hilarious. He's never been malicious, he's never made excuses, and when he has lost, he's hit the lab and come back better.

He's a kid. Despite your assertion that he's old enough to vote, whatever that means, it doesn't mean maturity. He comes from a poor household and has been thrust into eSports spotlight. He's figuring out what kind of player he is, who he wants to be. He's good for the scene. He's got personality, he helps people level up, and now after this loss, he'll learn from it and grow even more.

Again, I don't disagree that he's amazing, I just don't understand how dropping combos to taunt is "wanting people to level up". Again, I'm not disparaging him as a person I just don't like the persona he puts out there and I can't believe he'd be doing the same for others if roles were reversed. I get that I'm more annoyed by it than most, but I went for cheering for KnuckleDu to being stoked when Kazunoko destroyed him.

Skilletor

Again, I don't disagree that he's amazing, I just don't understand how dropping combos to taunt is "wanting people to level up". Again, I'm not disparaging him as a person I just don't like the persona he puts out there and I can't believe he'd be doing the same for others if roles were reversed. I get that I'm more annoyed by it than most, but I went for cheering for KnuckleDu to being stoked when Kazunoko destroyed him.

It's the same way you wanted to see him lose.

I don't like it, but I grew up in arcades and I understand it. I still run into it online. People that will just do one thing over and over until I beat it, or something that frustrates me to no end. If I want to win, I have to get over their strat. If people want to win Capcup or CPT tourneys, they need to level up. Tokido did just that, went and ran sets with Mago. He even played Punk a ton in casuals (Jwong tweeted out during top 8 that Tokido would be the only one who could take punk out).

I didn't get to see many of his matches before top 8. Was he teabagging and dropping combos? I haven't seen him do that in awhile. For the past few months, he's been silly, but serious. Not too much teabagging, definitely didn't see him dropping anything. I'd say that was mostly right after his early success this past year when people were saying he was just an online warrior and the like.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That's why he got so emotional. He's a little kid. You're a little kid who was half an hour away from doing something no one in your country could do in 15+ years. People and even your opponents said you are the best in the world and this was your very first EVO, the most prestigious tournament.
The pressure the kid had must've been immense. He already lost before the matches even happened. None of his opponents were as nervous as he was. Heavily breathing, taking deep breaths, not smiling, being his usual joyful self etc. His talent overcame his pressure up until grand finals.

Xeteh

It's the same way you wanted to see him lose.

I don't like it, but I grew up in arcades and I understand it. I still run into it online. People that will just do one thing over and over until I beat it, or something that frustrates me to no end. If I want to win, I have to get over their strat. If people want to win Capcup or CPT tourneys, they need to level up. Tokido did just that, went and ran sets with Mago. He even played Punk a ton in casuals (Jwong tweeted out during top 8 that Tokido would be the only one who could take punk out).

I didn't get to see many of his matches before top 8. Was he teabagging and dropping combos? I haven't seen him do that in awhile. For the past few months, he's been silly, but serious. Not too much teabagging, definitely didn't see him dropping anything. I'd say that was mostly right after his early success this past year when people were saying he was just an online warrior and the like.

Nah, I'm not taking anything away from him at Evo... he seemed super focused and was trying to win. (I totally laughed at Du teabagging Kazunoko after his win in the second match and then losing the next two free.) I just don't immediately excuse it after one tournament. Again, I get I'm in the minority, and I won't try to take away from his gameplay... it just surprised me how fast people turned from hating on Punk because he was a heel to supportive after Evo. It just surprised me how many people were like "Oh I didn't like Punk until today but now I feel super bad!" I just don't get it.

so how about that abigail, huh?

lol sorry to derail... I legit think his design is super goofy but he looks fun as fuck to play.

Skilletor

Nah, I'm not taking anything away from him at Evo... he seemed super focused and was trying to win. (I totally laughed at Du teabagging Kazunoko after his win in the second match and then losing the next two free.) I just don't immediately excuse it after one tournament. Again, I get I'm in the minority, and I won't try to take away from his gameplay... it just surprised me how fast people turned from hating on Punk because he was a heel to supportive after Evo. It just surprised me how many people were like "Oh I didn't like Punk until today but now I feel super bad!" I just don't get it.

lol sorry to derail... I legit think his design is super goofy but he looks fun as fuck to play.

Nah, I was legitimately asking. lol. I think I see Du doing it more than Punk now.

I get what you're saying, for real, I just don't think it matters to others as much. Another factor is the America vs. Japan thing. If it were all american finals, Punk would have been the heel. But America v. Japan, Americans going to side with "their dude" all the way. It's probably that more than anything, tbh. Punks our best chance of beating the japanese players, lol.

Anyway, Abigail looks dope af. The backdash sold me.

fresquito

Eh, I don't think thats fair. Skilletor is talking about the FGC specifically and I honestly understand his stance... you're just taking it out of context.
Nope. I'm not talking about outside the FGC. There're plenty of people that deserve mad respect, even when they don't get the Ws. You ever heard of this swedish guy called Sven? Ever heard of BrolyLegs? These are extreme examples, but basically everyone that pushes forward deserves respect. The Ws mean shit when we are talking about respecting others.

Xeteh

Nah, I was legitimately asking. lol. I think I see Du doing it more than Punk now.

I get what you're saying, for real, I just don't think it matters to others as much. Another factor is the America vs. Japan thing. If it were all american finals, Punk would have been the heel. But America v. Japan, Americans going to side with "their dude" all the way. It's probably that more than anything, tbh. Punks our best chance of beating the japanese players, lol.

Anyway, Abigail looks dope af. The backdash sold me.

Yeah, fair enough. I wasn't trying to troll or anything, I was honestly confused with the reception and I get that a lot of it is likely on me.

And yeah, Abigail looks awesome. Can't wait.

ec0ec0

You're not wrong, he was by far the best player this year. I'm not trying to take anything away from his skill... I just don't get why people are all supportive of the guy that intentionally dropped combos to teabag, spam selected his character when the opponent went to character select to take a breather, teabagged and taunted people he beat.... and are now acting like he's some defeated hero that has earned sympathy.

No one is going to get annoyed by someone (punk) going as far as dropping combos, just to taunt his opponents, if he can back that up by destroying his oponents.

If he's literally making top players look free, he can do whatever he wants in game.

Back Fierce destroys projectiles, and so does his qb kick motion.
In V Trigger it actually reflects projectiles, pretty cool.

projectiles in SFV, lmao.

Vice

Thats fair, I'm more talking about the people who are frequent to the FGC that would have seen him in the last year.

You're probably right, I admit that I find a lot of what he's done more annoying than most people. Again, I really don't mean to take away from Punk's skill... I legit think he's likely the best SFV player in the world right now, I just can't stand the taunting and arrogance... so when I see him lose and he's all devastated... I just see it from the stance at someone he's beaten at another tournament, they've put the effort out and tried their best and the guy that beat them acted like they were trash... He might have been doing it for the "lols" but it comes across as harsh... so I'm not going to feel for him when he gets crushed.

Trasg talking and disrespect is a part of the scene. If it's all in good fun, most players are fine wih it and understand. A couple months ago a Tekken player https://youtu.be/-dRGtpLhK3I was mic'd up and trash talking all throughout an entire grand finals and seemingly everyone was fine with it.
Tokido did a taunt combo against Punk for the same reason. Sometimes styling on and taunting people is fun.

Raitaro

Yeah, he definitely looks great in this footage. The only design niggle I continue to have with him is that the tires around his arms in his default costume seem to over-emphasize his muscles even more (creating that inflated Abobo look that has been making the rounds) but other than that I think he looks like a good addition to the cast. His stage looks like a real winner as well, especially because of the dynamic sunrise during rounds.

Yeah, he definitely looks great in this footage. The only design niggle I continue to have with him is that the tires around his arms in his default costume seem to over-emphasize his muscles even more (creating that inflated Abobo look that has been making the rounds) but other than that I think he looks like a good addition to the cast. His stage looks like a real winner as well, especially because of the dynamic sunrise during rounds.

Yep I felt the same way after seeing him in alt costumes. His proportions look much better.

airjoca

Punk being 18 is no excuse for disrespecting opponents. We've seen some of the greats since they were 18 or less like Daigo.

ec0ec0

The pressure the kid had must've been immense. He already lost before the matches even happened. None of his opponents were as nervous as he was. Heavily breathing, taking deep breaths, not smiling, being his usual joyful self etc. His talent overcame his pressure up until grand finals.

lol the stuff i've been reading this past few days. All this excuses for punk.

Punk was the one who sent tokido to losers, but that was just in a short set (2 out of 3).

Prior to the tournament, punk and tokido played a long set (first to 10), and tokido murdered him. Moreover, on top 8, they were playing backstage during the brakes (before they finally met again in tournament in the finals) and, again, tokido was beating him.

So, there was nothing indicating that punk should have won. The longer the set was, it was worse for punk.

The second time they played in tournament, it was a 3 out of 5 (x2), instead of a 2 out of 3. Punk had a better chance without a reset (without having to play a second 3 out of 5 set).

Moaradin

Apparently Abigail's proportions were slightly bugged in the reveal trailer and was permanently stuck in V Trigger mode (which makes his muscles bigger)

VBBHR1Z.gif

launch trailer compared to the WSO stream today.

Raitaro

Apparently Abigail's proportions were slightly bugged in the reveal trailer and was permanently stuck in V Trigger mode (which makes his muscles bigger)

VBBHR1Z.gif

Hey, good catch! I couldn't put my finger on why he looked less muscular apart from the arm tires being gone in his alts but there it is.

A good lesson in not always judging something too harshly instantly, or jumping to conclusions, this...(me of course included).

Rymuth

VBBHR1Z.gif

Excellent catch! I knew I was slowly warming up to him in the stream but I didn't know if my eyes were playing tricks on me or not.

Top Bottom