• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singularity |OT| - Anyone? No?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I know atleast one thing this game would benefit of, and that is a demo. A demo would/could persuade a lot of people to buy it.

The_Dude

I've been interested in it for a while and had no idea it was already out. I actually thought it must have been delayed since I saw no mention of it at E3!

Probably going to pick it up when it comes out next week for PS3 or 360. Has always looked interesting to me, plus Amazon is giving a 20 dollar off your next game purchase with it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MacBosse said:
More fast impressions:

- Feels alot like Bioshock blended with the last Raven game Wolfenstein
- Guns feel weak, the gun is awful, the shotgun is kinda cool. There is a upgrade system for weapons
- Story seems alright, its told trough flashbacks and audiotapes
- Enemies are cool, they really setup the encounters in a cool way
- Enviroments are really nice done, alot of detail
- What looks like the main villain is truly the stereotype russian general kinda guy, but with a bearpelt cape (so evil)

I'm liking it so far. Will surely be recieved as Wolfenstein was. Too bad Activision just let it out to die. Raven makes solid games.

What console are you playing it on, btw?

Corky

Gamereactor swedens EIC posted his review just now :

http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/23173/Singularity/

He gave it a 9/10. I reckon thats a very good score coming from him seeing as he is rather "picky" ( example, he gave uncharted 2 8/10 )

" The good :

Wonderful environments,intelligent enemies,fun weapons, varied levels, cool timemechanic, cool bosses and a wellwritten story.

The bad :

Slow/boring opening, very linear "

Hopefully the rest of the reviews will be as positive as his was.

MacBosse said:
Soooo ... I'm the only one who is playing it right now? I just got it and played about 20 minutes of the first level. Reminds me of Bioshock actually. The enviroments are full of nice little details and audiologs, it helps bring the place to life.

So far its good, but Raven ... no subtitles option? The hell?

Anyone else playing? Anyone buying it? Anyone even knows it's been released in Europe? :lol

Edit: Looks like even Raven doesn't know it's out ... http://www.ravensoft.com/

Homepage for Singularity

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought of what I have played it,. Starts off very Bioshock at first, but then gets very shooter-heavy for a brief period. If the game sticks with the Bioshock "shooter-light" periods it could be a solid sleeper title.

george_us

I'd love to get it but I'm broke this month. Shame too 'cause I loved Wolfenstein and all its craziness and Singularity looks like that x 10 with a bigger budget.

MacBosse

Stumpokapow said:
What console are you playing it on, btw?

Edit: Wow, glowin' review of Singularity there in the Swedish mag. "Every moment has been polished, balanced and carefully crafted to a very compact whole that feels like Half-Life, Prey and Bioshock."

"Detta för att varje moment polerats, balanserats och noggrant passats in i en väldigt väl sammanhållen helhet som doftar av Half-Life, Prey och Bioshock."

DaBuddaDa

MacBosse said:
More fast impressions:

- Guns feel weak, the gun is awful, the shotgun is kinda cool. There is a upgrade system for weapons
- Story seems alright, its told trough flashbacks and audiotapes
- Enemies are cool, they really setup the encounters in a cool way
- Enviroments are really nice done, alot of detail
- What looks like the main villain is truly the stereotype russian general kinda guy, but with a bearpelt cape (so evil)

The "gun" is awful, the enemies are "cool," the environments are "nice," and the villain is "evil?" God, please don't ever try to review videogames :lol

Thanks for the impressions though, i'm glad someone else had this game on their radar.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MacBosse said:

It's more than a week before Singularity comes out at retail, although there are some stores selling it particularly in Europe so I don't assume that everyone in here with impressions has pirated it. I also note that the game leaked just before you posted the thread.

Because we're trying to crack down on pirated impressions, I checked your Gamertag. I notice that Singularity is not on your Gamertag and yet you've played several games online since posting this thread so it's not a case of having an outdated gamertag in your profile and it's not a case of having your Xbox offline.

Would you mind showing some confirmation that you actually purchased the game or were given a review copy?

MacBosse

DaBuddaDa said:
The "gun" is awful, the enemies are "cool," the environments are "nice," and the villain is "evil?" God, please don't ever try to review videogames :lol

Thanks for the impressions though, i'm glad someone else had this game on their radar.

Haha, well excuuuuuse me for posting quick impressions that are quick! :lol

Ok let me elaborate ... Enemies are cool. So far the enemies has been presented in cool ways that either scare you or gets you offguard. Almost always scripted sure but it is good scripted events that you don't see coming a mile away.

Enviroments are nice. There is alot of detail in the enviroments and you can see that Raven put alot of time in them. Debris everywhere, when entering houses you can see the dust against the lights and it all feels legit.

And the villain ... yeah he looks evil, talks evil and well ... yeah. Haven't seen him that much yet.

Another note: This is feeling like Bioshock more and more. The device you use for time manipulation is awesome! You can use various different powers and augment yourself powers from blueprints you find.

Singularity is growin' to be the sleeper hit of the year for me!

jehanzeb_khan

Neo Member
Just played an hour of this game. Really liking it. It definitely has a bioshock vibe to it as well as feels kinda similar to wolfenstien game. The town level gave a lot of Silent hill type of feel. I really like the atmosphere. The gameplay is alright. hopefully it gets better as the game progresses. Graphically on pc it looks nice. It has typical UE3 issues. Like slow texture loading etc. Atleast from the first hour or so that I have played, I am really liking this game. Everyone should atleast give this one a try. I am curious on why activision released it with no hype at all. Like even in media there is little to no info about this game.
--
I just realized there is not even a official thread on neogaf. :(
Really feel sorry for the dev the game is pretty good.

Interfectum

jehanzeb_khan said:
Just played an hour of this game. Really liking it. It definitely has a bioshock vibe to it as well as feels kinda similar to wolfenstien game. The town level gave a lot of Silent hill type of feel. I really like the atmosphere. The gameplay is alright. hopefully it gets better as the game progresses. Graphically on pc it looks nice. It has typical UE3 issues. Like slow texture loading etc. Atleast from the first hour or so that I have played, I am really liking this game. Everyone should atleast give this one a try. I am curious on why activision released it with no hype at all. Like even in media there is little to no info about this game.

360 version, yeah? :lol

Spookie

MacBosse said:
What are you smokin'? Feels like MW2?

Gimme some of that crazy stuff!

You don't think the shooting feels a bit MW2? With the laser guns with no recoil, the slick animations and 1st person set pieces?

CAVE343

Stumpokapow said:
It's more than a week before Singularity comes out at retail, although there are some stores selling it particularly in Europe so I don't assume that everyone in here with impressions has pirated it. I also note that the game leaked just before you posted the thread.

Because we're trying to crack down on pirated impressions, I checked your Gamertag. I notice that Singularity is not on your Gamertag and yet you've played several games online since posting this thread so it's not a case of having an outdated gamertag in your profile and it's not a case of having your Xbox offline.

Would you mind showing some confirmation that you actually purchased the game or were given a review copy?

In his defence, I saw the game this morning at my local store (NL) so its available at least in some places. But if he pirated, then screw him :)

I remember reading about this in GI and was a bit underwhelmed but reading the opinions in this thread (sketchiness aside) has got me interested. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Corky

bad-joey said:
In his defence, I saw the game this morning at my local store (NL) so its available at least in some places. But if he pirated, then screw him :)

yup, its out here in sweden aswell. Tomorrow is a holiday so the stores are closed, thus the gamestores could release the game 1 day early.

I was keeping an eye on this game, but the lack of hype from pretty much everyone and the fact that it looks like a sequel to Wolfenstein sorta turned me off.

Videos give me that Timeshift/Fracture/Legendary vibe, so a rough-around-the-edges slightly above average Sci-Fi/Fantasy FPS that will get destroyed critically and at retail because it's not AAA.

MacBosse

Stumpokapow said:

Wow, attacking hard are we?

Lets see.

"It's more than a week before Singularity comes out at retail". Wrong.

Webhallen
CDON
Spelbutiken

All these Swedish online retailers has it to be released tomorrow. Shops are closed tomorrow so no surprise that it's on sale today.

"I checked your Gamertag. I notice that Singularity is not on your Gamertag and yet you've played several games online since posting this thread ..." Wrong.

That Gamertag hasn't been online the past 18 Hrs. This thread was posted at 09:01 AM. But, where am I playing then you ask? At work? You bet.

"I also note that the game leaked just before you posted the thread." Wrong.

From what I can tell the game was leaked 4 days ago.

Now this puts me in somewhat of a problem. Do I have to provide evidence to not get banned straight away? Yes probably since this is not a democracy, mods do as they please. But being accused of pirating without any subtancial proof against me kinda pisses me off. Not providing proof will surely get the same ol' "you can't provide it because ..." but yeah, I don't care. I'm putting my foot down.

So with the risk of getting banned, Stumpokapow, with respect, you won't get shit from me.

Corky

MacBosse said:

Well given that you've listed swedish online-retailers thus insinuating that you're a swedish resident I've already indirectly vouched for you in my post a couple of posts up.

I was interested in this when I first heard about it, but kinda totally forgot about it before this thread. Watching the trailer on Amazon (which does seem Bioshock-ish) and the impressions on this thread.... I think I may get this.

The $20 credit towards my next game, artbook, and early copies getting a free copy of Prototype (this is the game thats coming with this, correct?) from Amazon is definitely weighing in on that decision.

MacBosse said:
All these Swedish online retailers has it to be released tomorrow. Shops are closed tomorrow so no surprise that it's on sale today.

Release date in rest of Europe is next monday as far as I know. But many shops are selling it early indeed.

Blader

MacBosse said:
Wow, attacking hard are we?

Lets see.

"It's more than a week before Singularity comes out at retail". Wrong.

Webhallen
CDON
Spelbutiken

"I checked your Gamertag. I notice that Singularity is not on your Gamertag and yet you've played several games online since posting this thread ..." Wrong.

That Gamertag hasn't been online the past 18 Hrs. This thread was posted at 09:01 AM. But, where am I playing then you ask? At work? You bet.

"I also note that the game leaked just before you posted the thread." Wrong.

From what I can tell the game was leaked 4 days ago.

Now this puts me in somewhat of a problem. Do I have to provide evidence to not get banned straight away? Yes probably since this is not a democracy, mods do as they please. But being accused of pirating without any subtancial proof against me kinda pisses me off. Not providing proof will surely get the same ol' "you can't provide it because ..." but yeah, I don't care. I'm putting my foot down.

So with the risk of getting banned, Stumpokapow, with respect, you won't get shit from me.

XBL Gamertag:
Stumpokapow
:lol

S1kkZ

the beginning really looks like a call of duty game, so the comparison is not completley off.
and guess who voices the first ingame character that talks to you?

Hesemonni

Banned
MacBosse said:
Or you could stop playing the drama queen, see the point Stunpokapow is making and provide him with some sort of proof that you actually own the game to make matter easy for everyone involved?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MacBosse said:

It is absolutely typical that people posting pre-release impressions of a game are asked to show that they legally own a copy. I'll give you two examples. People were banned in the Scribblenauts thread (one guy in fact photoshopped a fake Scribblenauts cartridge to try to cover his ass!). People were banned in the Wii emulator thread (posting screenshots of SMG2 and then editing them out and running from the thread when asked to document having a copy).

I laid out why I suspected this might not be above board and did so in a neutral tone. I don't think anyone reading my post would claim that I was hysterically running around "attacking hard". I readily concede that it's likely some people have early Euro retail copies. This isn't a witch hunt.

MacBosse

Hesemonni said:
Or you could stop playing the drama queen, see the point Stunpokapow is making and provide him with some sort of proof that you actually own the game to make matter easy for everyone involved?

But you see, that is the thing about putting the foot down. You don't do as they tell you.

Anyways, I'm leaving the debate about this in this thread. Don't want to derail. PM if anyone would like to discuss the matter.

Lol at the drama, as if it's so hard to produce a cell phone pic or gamertag with the info.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards picking up the PS3 version, mostly because I fell like playing a PS3 game and Wolfenstein was very solid on PS3 (had no tearing whereas the 360 version had some). I just wish there were more non-dudebro single-player focused FPS like this.

Tonza

I've been actually interested in the game.

It's pretty weird Activision is releasing this and Transformers on the same day in Europe.
I ordered Transformers and I don't have money for both so I'll wait for sales. Too bad though since Raven seems to have done good job with it. (judging from the review and impressions)

duckroll

MacBosse said:
But you see, that is the thing about putting the foot down. You don't do as they tell you.

Anyways, I'm leaving the debate about this in this thread. Don't want to derail. PM if anyone would like to discuss the matter.

I'm not sure what you are putting your foot down about. It's a very simple request. The game isn't out in most territories, so it's not surprising that some people are suspicious. If you can easily prove that you bought the game, what's the problem? Usually when people get a game early and enjoy the game, they're proud to show that they own it. Right?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I almost don't want to play this game because I know if it turns out really good then it would only be more tragic that Raven is now just another Call of Duty dev studio.

Activision really needs to get their shit straight.

derFeef

I just checked and I am not defending anyone, but the game is available here in Austria since tuesday for PC. Uncut non-USK version comes in two days for consoles.

BobsRevenge said:
I almost don't want to play this game because I know if it turns out really good then it would only be more tragic that Raven is now just another Call of Duty dev studio.

Activision really needs to get their shit straight.

Holy shit, I forgot about that!

So tragic =(

But hey, at least they're all gainfully employed and had a chance to make they game they wanted to after all those licensed IPs

S1kkZ

only played 30 minutes so far, but the gunplay with the first handgun feels very much like call of duty (incl. the "snap lock-on" when aiming down the sight). so far this feels like a bioshock sequel (new setting and story of course). will post more impression later, i am impressed so far. the only thing that bothers me so far: nolan as a voice actor AGAIN (in typical drake mode) and some of the textures are very low res-

the game is out here in germany since yesterday, i rented it from the local videostore. the mods can check my gamertag if they want (no achievements or online matches so far) and i can post a photo of the game dvd.

Top Bottom