• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls 2nd Encore |OT| Launch Party (2012-still going)

Beats

logoodr06.png

Game Info:

Developer: Lab Zero Games
Genre: 2D Fighter
Platforms: PS4/Vita Digital Release (Crossbuy support for these two platforms)/PC
Price: $24.99/$19.99 pre-order price for PS+ members
Release Date: 07/07/2015 for PS4 in NA. EU release date not yet confirmed.
File Size: 1.9GB
Launch Trailer
Pre-order Theme

Updates/News:
- Skullgirls Encore 1.05/2nd Encore 1.00 Patch Notes.
- Arc System Works will be publishing Skullgirls 2nd Encore in Japan.
- Vita version releasing April 5th + Lobby Patch News
- 2nd Encore Content coming to Steam as DLC on 4/13
- Lobby Patch Notes

About:
Skullgirls is a 2D variable team size Fighter by Lab Zero Games that was released on PS3/360/PC. The game plays similarly to VS style fighters such as Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and features hand drawn animation, character designs by Alex Ahad, a variable tag battle system letting you choose one to three characters, custom team assists, GGPO netcode for online play, music by Michiru Yamane and Vincent Diamante, story mode, a good tutorial to help you get into the game and more.

2nd Encore is the ultimate edition of the game for PS4/Vita which includes:

• Crossbuy support (PS4/Vita)
  • All previous DLC characters (Squigly, Big Band, Fukua, Eliza, Beowulf, Robo-Fortune)
  • Fully voiced story modes
  • New Challenge and Trial modes
  • PS3/Vita/PS4 online crossplay
  • PS3 fightstick support
  • A full platinum trophy set, including new achievements
*For more in-depth info on the new features check here. The full voice cast is also in the link.

Characters added since the original release:

These characters were all made due to the success of the Indiegogo campaign that Lab Zero did a while back. They're all included in this release of the game.

Squigly
ICahyvN.png

Meet Squigly!

Fukua
0U5S15O.png

Meet...Fukua?

Big Band
IlZd7ZE.png

Meet Big Band!

Eliza
X9IeAgX.png

Eliza Takes the Stage!

Beowulf
kL5j4GQ.png

Beowulf Enters the Ring!

Robo-Fortune
czFyyWr.png

Frequently Asked Questions:

- What about Europe?

- What About Multiplayer Lobbies?

- When Will the PS Vita Version Release?

- Will 2nd Encore be released on Steam?

- How do I use my PS3 Stick?
Boot up the game using a DS4, then plug in your PS3 stick then either turn off or leave your DS4 there. Check the FAQ here as well.

- What about Robo Fortune and the other platforms?
She's coming out alongside this release on the other platforms as well. Like the other characters she'll be free for the first three months of release. There's also gonna be an update with some other stuff for the other platforms. Check the bottom of this PS blog post.
- Art Gallery: A massive gallery featuring concept, production and guest art!
- CPU Quickmatch: Pick your AI opponents and fight them for a quick Skullgirls fix!
- New Alternate Voice Packs: For Peacock, Parasoul, Painwheel, Big Band, and Double!
- New Alternate Announcer Voice Packs: Female Announcer and “Dazed” Announcer!
- New Taunts: Every character old and new has taunts now!
- New Tutorials: Covering gameplay systems that have been updated since the original release!

This stuff is gonna be in 2nd encore as well.

Videos:
Skullgirls Top 8 at Combo Breaker 2015
Skullgirls Top 8 at Northwest Majors 7
Skullgirls Top 8 at EVO 2015
Skullgirls Top 16/ Top 8 at Combo Breaker 2016
Skullgirls 2nd Encore on UltraChenTV
- Mike Z, UltraDavid and James Chen talk about 2nd Encore and go through the game's systems and characters. It's fairly lengthy, but there's some good info in there.

Misc. Links:
Skullheart Forums - Official forums of the game. If you're looking for character specific info, gameplay strats, setups, combos and such you should check it out.
Beginner Resource Thread on Skullheart
Previous |OT| by SolarPowered

shaowebb

I need to play this more. There are no tag fighters left for me and Skullgirls is solid and supported heavily by a very caring developer. I should just stick with this and ASW stuff at this point till another VS title appears.

Looking hard at:
FUKUA-she's damn good at what I like to do
VALENTINE-my old main. No matter who was with her, Valentine put in my main effort.

I'd also like to try my hand at a Squigly team for that delicious screen drag assist and her great DHC shenanigans.

Usoto215

Neo Member
Downloaded and ready... Just waiting til 9 to play

And to people curious about the theme, it is great. The artwork shows a lot of love to the cast and the music is soothing and phenomenal.

SoldnerKei

nice, didn't know about the extra stuff that will come with Robo Fortune, taunts are pretty important P:

gonna focus on Filia & Fukua, because more Filia is always welcome... and perhaps some Parasoul and Beowulf from time to time...

Gintoki

Will the Vita version be available on release as the PS4 version?

From the op

Skullgirls 2nd Encore will be arriving on PS Vita after the initial PS4 release. We’re aiming to have it out around 6 weeks after the PS4 launch, but that may change.
The Vita version is up and running, but needs further optimization and multiplayer testing before we’d feel comfortable releasing it.

Kanann

Bought.
I Dreamed a Dream that some day this series will have cast of playable character like 50+ LOL I'm really big fan of 2d hand drawn animations

So the lobbies wont be coming out at launch but will I still be able to play PS4 or Vita players as soon as the update / release goes live?

Nice OP, Beats.

Can't wait for the SG community to have a large PS playerbase once the Vita and PS3 versions all have crossplay with each other AND lobbies.
Bought.
I Dreamed a Dream that some day this series will have cast of playable character like 50+ LOL I'm really big fan of 2d hand drawn animations
I'm sure there a few hundred thousand people who feel the same way you do. For now all we can do is throw money at Lab Zero and keep hope alive.

Nice,OP Beats.

Can't wait for the SG community to have a large PS playerbase once the Vita and PS3 versions all have crossplay with each other AND lobbies.

Beyond RoboFortune herself and all the fun shenanigans that come with the alternate voice packs I think the fact that the PS playerbase will have a unified player pool is my most anticipated new feature with this whole thing. Hopefully they'll be able to compete with the PC version on the numbers front.

RIP Xbox. :(

Beats

I forgot to put this link in the OP, but here's a FAQ about using PS3 Sticks.

Some stuff won't work:

As a General Rule: If your stick is wired and works without needing special driver software on PC, it should work with Lab Zero’s PS3 stick technology.

The following peripherals are confirmed to be incompatible:

Arcade Fighter Micro by dreamGEAR
Inpin PS2 controller adaptors
Custom sticks with DualShock 3 internals built into them

Many unlicensed PS3 peripherals masquerade as DualShock 3s, which ensures that the PlayStation 4 will not be able to “see” them.

edit:

So the lobbies wont be coming out at launch but will I still be able to play PS4 or Vita players as soon as the update / release goes live?

I remember in one of the Salty Updates Mike said there's ranked/unranked crossplay. I'll have to find the video though. Ravidrath might be able to answer if he's around.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I just put in my pre-order. Saw that it would unlock at 11 CST and couldn't resist. I don't even remember if I actually paid for it or got it from PS+ on the PS3. Heck, I shouldn't actually be using money right now but the promise of a new Vita fighting game and just being able to jam out to the music whenever I want on PS4 is too much.

I wonder if Lab Zero would think about putting the OST up on PSN. Perfect lounge music for my taste.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's on Spotify... I'd still consider it.

Hubb

Unfortunate that the Vita version wont release at the same time. Going on vacation next week and it would have been nice to have during the travel. All being said I went ahead and preordered it.

Ravidrath

Correct.

Like I said in the quoted thing, we decided to hold off on releasing Lobbies on PS4 because it would've made the game only cross-play in Ranked.

Once we have lobbies working on all three platforms, we'll patch them all at the same time.

I just put in my pre-order. Saw that it would unlock at 11 CST and couldn't resist. I don't even remember if I actually paid for it or got it from PS+ on the PS3. Heck, I shouldn't actually be using money right now but the promise of a new Vita fighting game and just being able to jam out to the music whenever I want on PS4 is too much.

I wonder if Lab Zero would think about putting the OST up on PSN. Perfect lounge music for my taste.

We'll be adding the SG "append" disc with all the new music to iTunes, Amazon MP3 and Spotify soon enough. So it'll all be up there.

Going to see about getting it on Steam music and PSN, too.

naib

Bought at work but didn't realize there was preload. Just bought it sight unseen. Super stoked to play again. At 11 CST? Don't tease me.

Haven't played since Squigly came out on endless beta. PC not a good option right now and PS3 is borked.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
How is the pre-order exclusive Theme?

love the music but the theme is way too busy. It's really makes the ui hard on the eyes.

In. Own the frist game on ps3 but never touched it. Gonna dig hard into this one though.

jacobeid

Banned
Yeah, gonna buy this (for the fourth time) tonight.

<3 you guys at Lab Zero. Thanks for the passion, and especially for the driver.

Edit: Purchased.

SerTapTap

Already bought. Need to actually try the theme, looked sweet.

Also preorders on PS4 are pretty nice, I just randomly got a "downloading skullgirls!" notification a day or two ago and it's all ready well in advance.

Anbec7

I just want to comment that while I see some people who have been active (launch party erryday) remember that there may be some new players on PS4 so try not to be complete dicks online lol

naib

I just want to comment that while I see some people who have been active (launch party erryday) remember that there may be some new players on PS4 so try not to be complete dicks online lol
Yeah. Gonna be lots of cats playin' with their food. :lol

I would get destroyed.

Pics_nao

This releases tomorrow? No wonder I got a notification on my ps4 saying it's ready to download.

I've bought just about every copy of this game as well as throwing a few hundred into the indiegogo campaign and have yet to put more than 10 minutes in the game across all platforms.

I can't wait for this to come out in the EU! (I hope we get that gorgeous PS4 theme, too.)

Both Eliza's and Big Band's animations are insaaaaaane.

ajb1888

Banned
I remember voting for Eliza in that poll and being happy the character was actually chosen. That poll feels like forever ago lol.

I can pick this up on PS4 now!

Top Bottom