• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Gears of War Judgement has leaked to the web...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My brother wants me to get the game so we can play co-op but no way am I paying $60 for a shitty stripped down gears experience.

Maybe I'll consider a purchase at $30

Give it a month and the price will probably be close to it. If there's one thing I've noticed this gen it's that Gears of War and Mass Effect games plummet in price super fast.

When has Microsoft picked an inappropriate music for Gears trailers?

They've always been anti-war songs, which is appropriate for the franchise's narrative.

I thought the Mad World song was perfect for the first games trailer. I had my parents even asking me about the game after seeing that commercial, and they are not into videogames at all.

EagleEyes

What do they have on XBLA this year?
Well I know their big one is Battleblock Theater which will more than likely be the best selling downloadable game on consoles this year. So theres that at least. I would rather them focus on an amazing launch for the next Xbox. There is more than enough big third party game coming to the 360 this year that 360 owners aren't going to complaining about nothing to play. :)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
What's the reason for no locusts in MP? Is there some story related reason?

There is no proper explanation for that, because the one they did give (there were people that apparently didn't like playing as the Locust - what now?) was just too silly for me to accept.

The game is all about experimentation as stated by one of the devs, hence the whole no downs in everything aside from the Campaign and Overrun, no more spawning with both a rifle and shotgun, controller layout changes, etc. They did it like this so they would risk it with a main Gears title.

Alright, but you pasted something else by the way.

JB1981

I wasn't even buying this game for the mp anyway. I'm getting it for the campaign and because I'm a fan of the series. But only four maps is a disgrace.

Oh, I started playing Gears 3 again. I decided to ignore my obnoxiously huge backlog and return home. It feels so good to come back and effortlessly tear people up. I miss the Gears 1 GAF crew.

I have to go pick up MGR tonight, but I might say screw it and play Gears instead. I'm off tomorrow, meaning I'm gonna be on Live all day until the PS4 event.

Gears brethren... y'all know how to reach me.

wait a minute, this game is shipping with only 4 maps?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
"wait a minute, this game is shipping with only 4 maps?"

NO, it's not. There are more maps.

Is there a reason you didn't say how many maps are actually in the game?

The game is done and out there so it couldn't hurt to clear up the confusion.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
No Locust Mp characters was the deal breaker for me.

Sucks, Gears3 was/ is brilliant.

Preorder cancelled.

I was mad about that big time myself too, but then thinking about the rest that the game had to offer, especially with People Can Fly doing the Campaign, and the Free For All & Domination being brand new modes, I still want to play this experiment. I'm a diehard Gears fan in the end.

Just watched the latest MP Trailer.

There are so many things wrong with the new multiplayer. Basically, they took nearly everything away that made the first GeOW so much fun and replaced it with stuff that every other MP has because, I guess, the devs somehow felt like they had to.

Gears of War 1 was amazing because it was simple. No player progression, no special perks or weapon-upgrades. Everyone started with the same loadout, the rules were clear... and above all, it had a great community. At least, that's how I experienced it.

Even without all the meta-game stuff that you see in modern games, it never got boring, because at its core... it was FUN.
Sure, there were some issues (host advantage, etc), but instead of just fixing those tiny issues for Gears 2, they messed it up.

Gears 3 was better, but still not as good as the first... And now?

Quick grenades, classes, SEEING THROUGH WALLS? I can live with the first two - and classes might even turn out to be a great addition. But... SEEING THROUGH WALLS?

Fuck off.

Is it just me getting older and acting like a whiny little bitch because I'm struggling to move on, 'blinded' by nostalgia and simply unable to accept change? Could be.
Maybe younger kids - 'the new generation' - will have loads of fun with this game. I guess it's just not for me anymore then. And that makes me sad.

Microsoft really wants that money, why not just give the franchise a bit of a cooldown and then release on new hardware?

Baird is also a lame character to make a game off of, couple of better characters and they chose him? Could have even took the time to introduce a new character as lead.

Just watched the latest MP Trailer.

There are so many things wrong with the new multiplayer. Basically, they took nearly everything away that made the first GeOW so much fun and replaced it with stuff that every other MP has because, I guess, the devs feel like they somehow have to.

Gears of War 1 was amazing because it was simple. No player progression, no special perks or weapon-upgrades. Everyone started with the same loadout, the rules were clear... and above all, it had a great community. At least, that's how I experienced it.

Without all the meta-game stuff, it never got boring, because at its core... it was FUN.
Sure, there were some issues (host advantage, etc), but instead of just fixing those tiny issues for Gears 2, they messed it up.

Gears 3 was better, but still not as good as the first... And now?

Quick grenades, classes, SEEING THROUGH WALLS? I can live with the first two - and classes might even turn out to be a great addition. But... SEEING THROUGH WALLS?

Fuck off.

I can totally see where you coming from with all the changes but your talking about different modes. the classes are limited to OverRun. Im also pretty sure seeing through wall is limited to the beacon grenades, a pickup.

lot's of people are going to hate this game and it's simply not the gears of war we played in 2006.

Grisby

After watching that mp trailer I'm more excited. I'm curious to see how pcf handled the gears experience. New is always exciting.

What's not exciting is the map count. I hope they clarify this. Bioshock infinite is out the week after so I'm undecided on a launch day buy. If there's a higher map count ill buy because of the preorder and play mp early deal from GameStop.

I can totally see where you coming from with all the changes but your talking about different modes. the classes are limited to OverRun. Im also pretty sure seeing through wall is limited to the beacon grenades, a pickup.

lot's of people are going to hate this game and it's simply not the gears of war we played in 2006.

I'm probably buying it anyway and I'll give it a fair chance.
Will they still have the classic modes, like Execution?

Because if so - assuming the 'wall hack' grenades are excluded from that - I could just stick to those modes if I end up not liking the new stuff.

REV 09

not sure about some of this news, but the trailer actually looked fun. I'm a diehard Gears fan so i got to give Judgment's changes a try at least. Falling off ledges is actually a good thing. the grenade changes seem interesting too.

They are actually trying some new things with this game, and its a bummer to see people shrug it aside just because its more Gears.

Here's hoping it ends up as good in practice as it does on paper. I'm still day one for this.

Alchemy

I wish Epic would let People Can Fly do something other than regurgitate Gears. I've played enough Gears of War thanks.

JB1981

not sure about some of this news, but the trailer actually looked fun. I'm a diehard Gears fan so i got to give Judgment's changes a try at least. Falling off ledges is actually a good thing. the grenade changes seem interesting too.

Falling off ledges is a big improvement on getting stuck on them. I like the grenade throwing mechanic as well. The less I have to fumble with the shitty 360 d-pad to select the wrong weapon the better

smik

Will they still have the classic modes, like Execution?

Because if so - assuming the 'wall hack' grenades are excluded from that - I could just stick to those modes if I end up not liking the new stuff.

No Execution/Warzone modes are available in GOWJ, "Recon" Spot grenades are in all modes.

4 MP maps in total for TDM/FFA/DOM and 4 for Survival/Overun

-PXG-

They are actually trying some new things with this game, and its a bummer to see people shrug it aside just because its more Gears.

Here's hoping it ends up as good in practice as it does on paper. I'm still day one for this.

Yeah, by making it play and feel like everything else or adding things that has nothing to do with Gears at all.

Like I said in another thread, Gears used to have an identity. Now with progression, meta games, classes and emphasis on long range combat, Gears is just becoming "yet another shooter".

Bb-b-bb-b-b-but they're making it more accessible. Please. Sure, lets dumb it down, cater to the lowest common denominator (which doesn't give a single fuck about your game in the first place) and strip it of almost everything that made the series popular to begin with. This is the attitude, thought and design that I cannot stand. Go ahead and make your game like CoD or whatever homogeneous bullshit is out there. Go ahead and see what happens. These are the mindless decisions that cause games to have poor sales, leave games forgotten and result in people getting fired.

I'm sure the campaign will be solid. But the multiplayer....I don't even want to think about it. It's my love for Gears that gets me so upset.

It's my love for Gears that gets me so upset.
I hear ya, but your focus is on the multiplayer right? The no-locust thing makes zero sense to me, but the other changes have some logic to them at least, and not just in terms of accessibility.

A very positive take on the changes here, from the official forums. Not saying that all the changes are truly for the better, but then again the multiplayer is not the draw for me.

On the campaign front the dynamic spawning and Bulletstorm score-attack elements should bring about more organic co-op and replayability.

This isn't a numbered Gears game, so they're giving themselves some room to experiment with the formula, and they *are* trying new things. But most of what I read here on GAF is either gripes about it being just another Gears, or complaints that they've changed too much. Just seems unreasonable.

Maybe I'm just weird (pretty sure I am), but besides ditching locust it all looks good to me.

REV 09

Falling off ledges is a big improvement on getting stuck on them. I like the grenade throwing mechanic as well. The less I have to fumble with the shitty 360 d-pad to select the wrong weapon the better

no kidding. hopping off ledges was too glitchy before and it usually just got me killed. The new mechanic here seems like it would eliminate that frustration at least.

I hear ya, but your focus is on the multiplayer right? The no-locust thing makes zero sense to me, but the other changes have some logic to them at least, and not just in terms of accessibility.

A very positive take on the changes here, from the official forums. Not saying that all the changes are truly for the better, but then again the multiplayer is not the draw for me.

On the campaign front the dynamic spawning and Bulletstorm score-attack elements should bring about more organic co-op and replayability.

This isn't a numbered Gears game, so they're giving themselves some room to experiment with the formula, and they *are* trying new things. But most of what I read here on GAF is either gripes about it being just another Gears, or complaints that they've changed too much. Just seems unreasonable.

Maybe I'm just weird (pretty sure I am), but besides ditching locust it all looks good to me.
The way I see it for the bolded is that Gears 3 came out recently and was "the end", and people are burned out on the franchise now. I personally either wanted them to drop it completely or at least make a proper Gears 4 next-gen. And then the people that complain about the changes, that's in my mind because not a lot of the changes actually seem like positive changes to the formula.

Generally, anything popular is un-cool. I dunno, I've always enjoyed the GoW series. I enjoy it more than CoD, which comes out every single year.

Raptor

One complaint I don't understand is the "no DBNO" stuff, if the hardcore Gears fans are Gnashers players as far as Im seeing mentioned here then why does it matter?

Maybe is important thing in a mode I don't play?

I'm a Gnasher player myself and there is nothing I benefit for downing an oponent, in fact that only makes me waste a bullet because I "need" to take him out after I downed him, now without I will only care for the kill and nothing more, maybe the better approach was to test the waters with a "no DBNO" mode and a classic mode too with it included and if they see that the majority of players prefer it then straight up take it off the game on a patch or something, I don't know.

Maybe I was never a fan of it myself and I'm alone on this.

I can't wait myself for this game but at the same time I understand the enraged fans, they shouldn't had acted like this and alienated an entire fanbase, I hope it doesn't bites them in the ass.

this is what I keep reminding myself too. something in the same realm as ODST and it's also mainly a PeopleCanFly effort. there is a demo coming out on release day too so all the people who are unsure about this new direction can try it and decide for themselves.

dab0ne

I was really hyped for this game but the more I think about it the more I realize I can wait for a price drop. If the "only 4 maps" thing is true then that's a deal breaker for me because that just reeks of a season pass exploit. I'll get it eventually but what I'll probably do is rent and play the campaign then make my decision based on that.

-PXG-

Normally, I'd write a huge ass post in response to this, but I won't...this time.

First of all....No one has EVER complained about DBNO. Seriously. Where the fuck have these people been since 2006? I've NEVER heard complaints about it.

The "hitbox" issue with the Locust (in reality, it was on the Theron Guards) is really so insignificant. The likelihood of that ever being a problem was very VERY slim. In fact, a bigger issue in Gears 3 was the seeming "lower" cover and the fact that bullets could travel closer objects.

Sticky grenades is just dumb. This isn't Halo. Grenade tagging was a terrible addition to the series. This takes something bad and makes it worse.

Gears was never supposed to be a fast paced, twitchy arena shooter. Everything they've added is making it more so.

EDIT

Screw Metal Gear Rising. That shit can wait for tomorrow. I'm hopping on Gears 3 now...

smik

Yeah, by making it play and feel like everything else or adding things that has nothing to do with Gears at all.

Like I said in another thread, Gears used to have an identity. Now with progression, meta games, classes and emphasis on long range combat, Gears is just becoming "yet another shooter".

Bb-b-bb-b-b-but they're making it more accessible. Please. Sure, lets dumb it down, cater to the lowest common denominator (which doesn't give a single fuck about your game in the first place) and strip it of almost everything that made the series popular to begin with. This is the attitude, thought and design that I cannot stand. Go ahead and make your game like CoD or whatever homogeneous bullshit is out there. Go ahead and see what happens. These are the mindless decisions that cause games to have poor sales, leave games forgotten and result in people getting fired.

It's my love for Gears that gets me so upset.

Agree with all of this.

By watching the stream last night, GOWJ certainly doesnt have any resemblance or flow like any of the 3 previous titles,
everything that was successful in Gears has been stripped away in favor of stale COD traits that just dont fit the Gears of War gameplay system.

GOW3 had gone along way in pleasing fans and people who support there game, feedback was taken on board
and the end product was a great for GOW3, the fundamentals had been improve upon and still intact (Retro just needed a slight tweak, SOS imo was counterable) .

There was alot of room for improvement for the next title, but in GOWJ all has gone to waste.

-PXG-

Agree with all of this.

By watching the stream last night, GOWJ certainly doesnt have any resemblance or flow like any of the 3 previous titles,
everything that was successful in Gears has been stripped away in favor of stale COD traits that just dont fit the Gears of War gameplay system.

GOW3 had gone along way in pleasing fans and people who support there game, feedback was taken on board
and the end product was a great for GOW3, the fundamentals had been improve upon and still intact (Retro just needed a slight tweak, SOS imo was counterable) .

There was alot of room for improvement for the next title, but in GOWJ all has gone to waste.

Hopefully the backlash from this game, and enough vocal (yet insightful and reasonable) bitching will send Epic and PCF a message.

All I want is a true, simple, return to form. Gears 1, that works. No bullshit (well, maybe just a little bit for old time's sake, lol), no extras. No bells and whistles. Just simple, stupid, pure Gears. Dark, gritty, eery , macabre, claustrophobic and atmosphereic with a hint of horror. Those are the words and feelings that come to mind when Gears 1 comes to mind. Go back to that. Go back to what made series great.

smik

Hopefully the backlash from this game, and enough vocal (yet insightful and reasonable) bitching will send Epic and PCF a message.

All I want is a true, simple, return to form. Gears 1, that works. No bullshit (well, maybe just a little bit for old time's sake, lol), no extras. No bells and whistles. Just simple, stupid, pure Gears. Dark, gritty, eery , macabre, claustrophobic and atmosphereic with a hint of horror. Those are the words and feelings that come to mind when Gears 1 comes to mind. Go back to that. Go back to what made series great.

I really hope EPIC takes note (yet again) and go back to the things they did great particular with GOW3 and GOW1, The Gears franchise atm is becoming really inconsistent after each title and we all know what debacles we went through with GOW2 MP, but its sad to see GOWJ fall in what looks like the same fate.

also, its the small things they get swept under the rug that really annoys me with EPIC

EG:

:Only 8 Gnasher bullets in total for GOWJ, GOW3 had 16 bullets was perfectly fine. (GOW1=32)
:Marksa renders longshot useless, as it starts with 40 bullets and is semi automatic
:(Although not little) Locust and Mode removal with literally no evidence of the community wanting them gone

sometimes i think they do this shit on purpose to fuck with the fans.

sp3000

Any franchise that releases more than 3 games in a console gen is worthless

The 4th game is almost always milking

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Gears of war 1 GAF represent!

Back when there was no party chat, I was unemployed and games for hours and hours. I'd stay up til 3 or 4am to play with US gaffers despite being in the uk. Xbox live was so much more....alive back then. I used to jump into random games and ended up making friends with a few random teams and played with them for months and months.

Of course it all descended into team killing gunshot chaos a lot of times but the maps and weapons were perfect.

I hate that they made weapons rotate, nerfed the sniper and added nade tagging. Maps and weapon spots used to be perfectly balanced to each other. Make the weapons rotate and the weapon suddenly becomes detached from the map.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I really hope EPIC takes note (yet again) and go back to the things they did great particular with GOW3 and GOW1, The Gears franchise atm is becoming really inconsistent after each title and we all know what debacles we went through with GOW2 MP, but its sad to see GOWJ fall in what looks like the same fate.

also, its the small things they get swept under the rug that really annoys me with EPIC

EG:

:Only 8 Gnasher bullets in total for GOWJ, GOW3 had 16 bullets was perfectly fine. (GOW1=32)
:Marksa renders longshot useless, as it starts with 40 bullets and is semi automatic
:(Although not little) Locust and Mode removal with literally no evidence of the community wanting them gone

Holy shit 8 gnasher bullets? I kinda struggle to see how the gnasher can be used as a primary tbh, especially if DBNO is no longer in the game, people can just take you out with rifles or 2 shots from a semi auto sniper! Sounds crazy unbalanced.

Maybe the game will still be fun if we don't approach it as a refinement of the gears franchise. We still have the old games floating round should we need em I guess. I never really played gears 3 as much as I wanted to cos my community of mates moved off it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I never really understood gears multi, will the horrible 'host advantage' thing be gone in this one?

I tried to take the games seriously as multi, but after reading up on them and the horrible 'host advantage' thing, I could never actually tell if I was getting owned sometimes because of that or I was just a newb. It made the whole experience frustrating and unenjoyable.

Was that overblown? If not why was 'host advantage' so prevalent in this game? I've never heard of such a thing in halo I don't think. I can't remember if router cheating in halo 2 had to do with having host or not.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

EG:

The videos I've seen today have shown 16 bullets for the Gnasher (eight in the gun, eight extra). Either way it's not a huge problem as now you can just run over spare gun ammo on the ground and pick it up automatically without stopping for it, there are actual universal ammo crates on the maps for all guns and grenades, and there are Gnasher pick ups on the map as well if you chose not to spawn with one.

Marksa needs at least two headshots for a kill, while the Longshot still only needs one headshot regardless of where you are on the map, plus it penetrates multiple enemies now with one bullet.

I am disliking the whole no Locust-thing they blindsided us with, but the rest of the things you posted were wrong - if you're going to put them on the spot, you gotta be fair about it.

Your point about going back to GOW1 & 3 is out because again, this isn't a main title that was made to take risks with brand new stuff.

I never really understood gears multi, will the horrible 'host advantage' thing be gone in this one?

I tried to take the games seriously as multi, but after reading up on them and the horrible 'host advantage' thing, I could never actually tell if I was getting owned sometimes because of that or I was just a newb. It made the whole experience frustrating and unenjoyable.

Was that overblown? If not why was 'host advantage' so prevalent in this game? I've never heard of such a thing in halo I don't think. I can't remember if router cheating in halo 2 had to do with having host or not.

Host advantage did exist for Gears 1 & 2, which is why they added dedicated servers for Gears 3, and Judgment has them as well - one thing I'll always hold Epic in high regards for no matter what, seeing as not even Call of Duty will do this on consoles.

Dawg

Someone posted this on my fb:

420288_10151320467309405_1131791814_n.jpg

I haven't been following the gears news, but how did he acquire it already?

Someone posted this on my fb:

I haven't been following the gears news, but how did he acquire it already?

it's either a fake sleeve or they really do have a copy. the game did go gold 2 weeks ago. it's possible there are copies in the wild already. im sure reviewers also have their copies too.

Top Bottom