• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soda consumption down slightly, still #1 source of calories in U.S. diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
I'm also against just out loud stating that diet soda is just as bad as regular soda. That will just make people go: "well, if I'm drinking soda, I might as well go pure sugar because diet soda isn't any better."

At least with diet soda you can still into ketosis. It's less carbs by default..

The point is that if you're worried about weight loss/low carbs/ketosis, then you're better off never drinking any type of soda, instead of halfassing it by switching to diet soda. All of it is shit for your body.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I hate fake sugar. I can always tell when it is in something and it ruins my day.

Am I particularly sensitive or something? Or is this fake sugar stuff just methadone to some of you?

I remember the first thing I did to change my health was to cut liquid sugar and I switched to diet soda (Splenda based). I lost a big % of body fat, blood glucose levels normalized, lipid counts and triglycerides improved, etc. I guess people want to justify drinking regular soda by using shitty epidemiology studies using questionnaires by fatties who are more likely to drink diet soda (as well as sugars from other places) while proclaiming "they're well controlled for that!" Diet soda has yet to make me fatter nor ever kicked me out of ketosis. The six weeks I once went without soda of any kind didn't do much of anything either.

http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionF...iquid-Water-Enhancer-Mango-Peach-162-oz/58517

Apparently a few sketchy ingredients, but on the surface it seems fairly harmless.

Yup, it likely has some sketchy stuff in it, but after drinking nothing but water and black coffee all day, I generally need something with a bit of flavor by the evening. I'm a big fan of their "energy drink" flavor, which has a small amount of caffeine as well (still less than a cup of coffee).

gate777

I haven't drank any type of soda (coke, pepsi, etc..) in a long time. More specifically, since 2007. Only water, tea and the occasional beer.

goldensun

Once people learn they're getting fat from all of the CALORIES they consume, and not carbs/fats/etc., they'll stop having soda eventually.

Stop drinking calories! I've been drinking nothing but water and 0%/skim milk for a year or two now and it's extremely easy.

deviant1

Once people learn they're getting fat from all of the CALORIES they consume, and not carbs/fats/etc., they'll stop having soda eventually.

Stop drinking calories! I've been drinking nothing but water and 0%/skim milk for a year or two now and it's extremely easy.

Watch this vid and than come back and say that calories are calories.

entrement said:
It's not just the calories, but the damaging metabolic effects of fructose, the primary sweetener of these drinks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Is Naked Juice good, too much sugar? I spent $30 getting 5 64oz of them from Costcos recently and I couldn't be any happier.

47255-hi-naked_juice_pins.jpg

Srsly

Banned
Is Naked Juice good, too much sugar? I spent $30 getting 5 64oz of them from Costcos recently and I couldn't be any happier.

47255-hi-naked_juice_pins.jpg

Check the back and look at the amount of sugar. They probably have just as much sugar in them as any other juice, which is bad. It's the large bolus of fructose in juice and soda that can hit the liver at once and cause damage if you're glycogen replete, which most people are the majority of their waking hours. It doesn't matter if it's natural or not or has a lot of vitamins and minerals; once again, it's the high concentration of fructose containing sugar that does the damage. However, if you've just worked out intensely and your glycogen stores are depleted, the sugar is fine.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Anything that isn't milk or water, I don't drink on a daily or even weekly basis. And I make sure to watch my milk consumption, too.

Basically just don't drink juice period. You can get pretty much any beneficial nutrients from it from other foods in many times the quantity.

Soda is my choice beverage because nothing else refreshes and quenches my thirst more quickly. I attribute this to the carbonation whichs provides that slight burn on the tongue, replenishing it with moisture.

My method for drinking a soda:
1. It MUST be in a resealable container (preferably plastic bottle). I will not drink any soda from a can because exposure to open air will deteriorate the carbonation.
2. Put the bottle in the freezer long enough just so the top portion forms ice crystals.
3. Upon taking out, unscrew the top, place the tongue until it touches the tip of the opening, then take very light sips. DO NOT GULP. Repeat, DO NOT GULP. Light sipping gives the taste buds time to appreciate the flavor of the soda as well as rejigger the tongue due to the slight tinge from the carbonation. Gulps will just cause the eyes to bulge from the excess inhale of CO2.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Soda is my choice beverage because nothing else refreshes and quenches my thirst more quickly. I attribute this to the carbonation whichs provides that slight burn on the tongue, replenishing it with moisture.

My method for drinking a soda:
1. It MUST be in a resealable container (preferably plastic bottle). I will not drink any soda from a can because exposure to open air will deteriorate the carbonation.
2. Put the bottle in the freezer long enough just so the top portion forms ice crystals.
3. Upon taking out, unscrew the top, place the tongue until it touches the tip of the opening, then take very light sips. DO NOT GULP. Repeat, DO NOT GULP. Light sipping gives the taste buds time to appreciate the flavor of the soda as well as rejigger the tongue due to the slight tinge from the carbonation. Gulps will just cause the eyes to bulge from the excess inhale of CO2.

Mineral water is your friend.

devilhawk

I haven't had soda in 20 years. I only drink water or water with a lemon. I normally don't add a lemon because of the calories it may add to my water. A single drop of soda makes me shake.

I drink one or two cans a day

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I remember the first thing I did to change my health was to cut liquid sugar and I switched to diet soda (Splenda based). I lost a big % of body fat, blood glucose levels normalized, lipid counts and triglycerides improved, etc. I guess people want to justify drinking regular soda by using shitty epidemiology studies using questionnaires by fatties who are more likely to drink diet soda (as well as sugars from other places) while proclaiming "they're well controlled for that!" Diet soda has yet to make me fatter nor ever kicked me out of ketosis. The six weeks I once went without soda of any kind didn't do much of anything either.
Sounds like you cut out all sugar and carbs. As you suggested, a lot of people drinking diet soda just compensate with other carbs, and the studies suggest that the body processes them differently after being acclimated to sweet tasting soda that's actually calorie empty.

Been trying to cut soda out of my diet for the past two months. I knew I couldn't just go cold turkey, so I set limits for myself: 1 time per week when eating out, and when I am drinking it with a mixed drink (rum/whisky and cokes). Every once in a while I get a sweet tooth for it and really get a craving for Dr. Pepper. I only drank regular pepsi and Dr. Pepper, so it is a good thing that most places I eat carry coke products. I always knew soda was stunting any progress I was trying to make at the gym, so I finally feel like I am close to breaking free from it.

I maybe drink 1 or 2 Coke Zeros a week now, usually at work.
Dropping soda from my normal diet has lead to a pretty eye-opening shift in energy and weight-management.
I do tend to mix fresh made juice (typically asian pear) and mineral water for a nice refreshing cocktail.

LosDaddie

Banned
I haven't had soda in 20 years. I only drink water or water with a lemon. I normally don't add a lemon because of the calories it may add to my water. A single drop of soda makes me shake.

I drink one or two cans a day

Perfect. :)

Been trying to cut soda out of my diet for the past two months. I knew I couldn't just go cold turkey, so I set limits for myself: 1 time per week when eating out, and when I am drinking it with a mixed drink (rum/whisky and cokes). Every once in a while I get a sweet tooth for it and really get a craving for Dr. Pepper. I only drank regular pepsi and Dr. Pepper, so it is a good thing that most places I eat carry coke products. I always knew soda was stunting any progress I was trying to make at the gym, so I finally feel like I am close to breaking free from it.

It's perfectly fine to have a weekly Cheat Day where you can eat & drink anything you want. Just make sure you limit it to 1 day a week, and you'll still lose weight.

RedSwirl

This mentality is so problematic and has got to be a huge cause of everyone being so goddamn fat. Since when did we, as a species, decide that every time we drink something it must be "interesting" or have a powerful flavor?

I've heard variants of, "I can't drink water! It doesn't taste like anything!" so many times and all I can do is shake my head.

Oh I love ice cold water (but I drink it out of a bottle, is that bad too?). Drink it every day, but I couldn't imagine living purely off of it. And fuck mineral water too. I'd never even heard of that stuff until I started living in Germany and hated it immediately.

I try not to have McDonalds more than once a week at the absolute most, but it just get's down to a lack of options when cooking is out of the question.

Mumei

I don't think Americans have a fucking clue about what they put into their bodies.

If every American used MyFitnessPal for a week it would shock them.

Interesting website. I'm going to try it for a week and see how horrified I am. Right now it is recommending I get 1280 calories. But it also seems to think I'm a 34 year old female; I think I must have misclicked something or ignored the part where you put in your age and gender. Ugh.

And I didn't realize walking around at a slow (~2 mph) pace for four hours burned quite that many calories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom