• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: “PS4 ‘generally sold out at all retailers”

My best buy and gamestop have them in stock; but only small amounts (5 and 4). Still, to have regular shipments coming in and selling out is very nice to see. Meanwhile, Xbox Ones are collecting dust.

Usobuko

Banned
'Generally' because it's a hard sell in countries when the local retailers priced it way above American's $399. Like Mine.

Krakn3Dfx

"Generally" sold out at retailers? I saw two when I was just perusing Walmart. Demand is high but a statement like this is just weird.

Oh, then it's settled, they can't give these things away.

Most places are sold out or are having problems keeping them in stock for any amount of time. Regions vary obviously.

jaaz

Until its regularly available at the largest on-line retailer (i.e., Amazon), I think its safe to say demand is outstripping supply.

Grinchy

Banned
BLOWNY and PHOWNY are my favorite console war terms. I wish they'd get more widespread and that people would use them seriously instead of ironically.

beast786

"Generally" sold out at retailers? I saw two when I was just perusing Walmart. Demand is high but a statement like this is just weird.

gen·er·al·ly [jen-er-uh-lee]
adverb
usually; commonly; ordinarily: He generally comes home at noon.
with respect to the larger part; for the most part: a

Tripon

No one does. I have been to various retailers in the Houston area and I have only seen two in the wild. Both were at Wal-Marts. Since Nov, I have probably hit up 25-30 stores (Target, BB, Wal-Mart, Gamestop, Frys) if they weren't scarce I would have ran across them countless times. Oddly enough, I haven't seen an Xbox One at Wal-Mart outside of launch week. Seen plenty at BB/Frys though.

How weird, SoCal been stocked pretty well over the past couple of weeks. Guess its because we're closer to the supply lines. I could probably buy half a dozen PS4s if I wanted to waste a day driving all over SoCal.

LilBro64

Neo Member
A couple of thousands maybe.

Wonder how much they'll hold back from the rest of the world, especially as launch gets closer. Must be tough for them. They know that Japan is well in the bag, but can't screw it too bad. It'd be tough to hold it back for Japan with how hot it is worldwide. Will be interesting to see how tough it is for Japanese to get.

LakeEarth

I've been seeing Xbox Ones available in the majority of stores that sell them. EB, Best Buy, 3 at a Wal-Mart today. Still never seen a PS4 in the wild. Driving me nuts.

I've been seeing Xbox Ones available in the majority of stores that sell them. EB, Best Buy, 3 at a Wal-Mart today. Still never seen a PS4 in the wild. Driving me nuts.

Yeah, stores are flooded with xbox ones. That's why you see them doing discounts and giving free games at some stores. They are trying to move them. Even before Christmas they weren't that hard to find.

At least try and hide the trollism syndrome, I will call it now...you won't last but 2 days. lol

Holy shit, I though his first post was sarcastic (mix with name & avatar for full effect) but now I'm going through his post history... it's enlightening xD
Or he's trolling everyone for kicks

Like was said in the other thread they aren't having trouble. They are making and selling more consoles than any company in history to this point. If you look at the weekly charts in the PAL thread you will see ps4 games are taking over the charts. If there wasn't any supply this would not be happening. It just sells that fast.

Just because they're selling fast doesn't mean they don't have a supply problem. It just means that they did not gear up their production line for the amount of demand for the console, either because they didn't forecast such strength of demand, or because they had no capacity to do so. Either way, that's a problem because they're leaving money on the table, and money is something Sony could use right now.

Gamestop

Gamestop said:
xLwFrTX.png

It's doing very well here in the UK, reading the press and media hype hasn't died down and speaking to retail managers around my city they have no problem shifting units once they come in.

Personally I think it's deserved from my own standpoint, it's a great price for a system I have been very impressed with despite a lack of real must have software yet.

I'm not the biggest Sony/Playstation fan by any means but even in its short life span, I feel it's the best system they have made and that controller is fucking glorious.

Just because they're selling fast doesn't mean they don't have a supply problem. It just means that they did not gear up their production line for the amount of demand for the console, either because they didn't forecast such strength of demand, or because they had no capacity to do so. Either way, that's a problem because they're leaving money on the table, and money is something Sony could use right now.

Sure, but normally when people cite supply problems around here they refer more to things like yield issues or other production problems - i.e., something that wouldn't allow them to meet their production goals.

Not having enough product to sell is a problem of course, but not a supply/production problem in the sense that things are (apparently) going according to plan - although maybe the plan itself fell a bit short.

Sure, but normally when people cite supply problems around here they refer more to things like yield issues or other production problems - i.e., something that wouldn't allow them to meet their production goals.

Not having enough product to sell is a problem of course, but not a supply/production problem in the sense that things are (apparently) going according to plan - although maybe the plan itself fell a bit short.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's a good problem to have. But it's something that for instance Apple gets dinged for by investors all the time when they can't make iPhones fast enough to meet the initial demand. My guess is that Sony underestimated the launch demand, and thus the production capabilities are geared for an interest level that's lower than what it is. When Japan launches the stock issue could get worse before it gets better.

Jabba

Banned
Was at a Walmart in Seekonk, Mass, there were no PS4s and about seven XB1s. The electronics guy said they got a ton at first. (maybe initial shipments)

I asked about current shipments. He said, haven't had them for many weeks and couldn't remember the last shipment they got. He also said, If/When they do get PS4s, it's like 10 or so. Guy said, go to Costco or other places.

Slashlen

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's a good problem to have. But it's something that for instance Apple gets dinged for by investors all the time when they can't make iPhones fast enough to meet the initial demand. My guess is that Sony underestimated the launch demand, and thus the production capabilities are geared for an interest level that's lower than what it is. When Japan launches the stock issue could get worse before it gets better.

They did underestimate, but to be fair, the estimate they had was REALLY high. It's not like they were conservative and unprepared for success. They prepared for a huge success and got something bigger.

Huh, I wonder if that's a store wide thing?

https://twitter.com/GameStop/status/431533604871897088

http://www.spawnfirst.com/news/gamestop-advertising-layaway-program-xbox-one-ps4-doesnt-one/

They’re advertising a layaway program for the Xbox One, but not the PlayStation 4. The Xbox One’s $500 price tag just might be enough to justify such a promotion, seeing as Gamestop probably drew a fine line between $400 and $500, on what could be considered affordable for a game console in one lump payment.

Wonder if that's threadworthy

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
LIAR. I saw one at my local target. You liar Sony you lie you think you can get away with Lying but you were wrong Sony you were wrongggggg because I found a playstation 4 and now everyone and I mean EVERYONE knows about the time you lieeed on the internet in your internal presentation

I don't know why, but I read this in Troy Baker's voice.

I don't think that's it. One of the problems with ramping up production that high when manufactured by a third party (Foxconn) is that, generally speaking, you have to keep production up that high for a long time as part of your contract. So, for example, if they'd wanted to be able to produce 1.5 million consoles in China per month instead of 1 million, they'd have to agree to do that for the entire year, which may or may not have been worth it just to try to make sure they met demand for the first 3-5 months. It's like when an anticipated online service launches and has connection problems, it's because they aren't willing to buy enough servers to handle the launch day load when the load probably isn't going to be that heavy again post launch and the servers would just be sitting there idle.

jester_

Saw a couple people looking for one in Colorado, and if you don't have a Costco membership then I'd be happy to help you out for like 10 or 15 bucks! I'm on the NE side of the springs, shoot me a PM if you need a PS4 without paying $55 for a Costco membership.

How is it weird? Kinda make sense, especially considering what you are saying, and what others are posting in this thread!

Generally - "in most cases; usually." synonyms - "normally" "more often than not"

Top Bottom