• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: “PS4 ‘generally sold out at all retailers”

spwolf

as everyone was saying, february will be tight due to japanese launch... continental europe is also still out of stock... unless it tanks completely in japan, we wont see proper stock until april.

i was surprised when it sold here in eastern europe, as they have been advertising it and i tought it would surely stay in stock due to economic situation. But in reality, it is priced great and i bet everyone pays extra €100 over PS3 bundles they have.

Saw many available here in West London. At my local asda
20140131_220714.jpg

Plenty PS4s available in Colombia as well. U$661 though. Fuck that.

I'm wondering if the reason why they're super scarce in the US is because everybody else is importing them. It's way cheaper that way!

SnakeEyes

Banned
Where did this start? I've not seen them in in stock down here in Dunedin since launch and know two people on waiting list for this/next months shipment of PS4s.
It started with the guy mentioned in the quote below. Some doofus in the lower North Island (Wellington, I think).

The now banned user, oconnomiyaki, saying dumb things. His greatest hits include:

- PS4 demand has "fallen off a cliff" in NZ, because I saw some in a store one time.
- That picture of 63 PS4s is clearly 42, and I am willing to spend 3 pages arguing about it.
- "Nintendo deserves to go out of business" (because I had trouble transferring a 3DS file)
- The PS2 did not have a good gaming library.
- Microsoft paying Youtube reviewers to break the law isn't that bad.

Can you guess what fanboy faction he represents?

I knew his PS4 comments were bad, the rest of those... MAN!
I hope that ban is permanent.

Replicant

The now banned user, oconnomiyaki, saying dumb things. His greatest hits include:

- PS4 demand has "fallen off a cliff" in NZ, because I saw some in a store one time.
- That picture of 63 PS4s is clearly 42, and I am willing to spend 3 pages arguing about it.
- "Nintendo deserves to go out of business" (because I had trouble transferring a 3DS file)
- The PS2 did not have a good gaming library.
- Microsoft paying Youtube reviewers to break the law isn't that bad.

Can you guess what fanboy faction he represents?

EL-OH-EL. I can't at that list. Hardcore fanaticism at its looniest peak.

Still impossible to find in Norway (or at least very hard), but I suspect shipment to Norway is very low.

That is my impression 2. Some random memory I have says we'll have to wait until March for serious shipments.

Anyway. We need games. If not I can imagine people starting to sell their PS4s used. If they haven't already started.

joecanada

western canada - been looking every week .... zip zero, nada since launch....

they all gone to new zealand. so unfair.

Foshy

Meanwhile In "Tier 2" Territory with no official Xbox One release date yet :

Yup, my country (Belgium) does not even have a release date yet...but it already has plenty of Xbox One's stock (took those pictures just walking in 2 different stores in Brussels last week).
Same thing happening in Switzerland.

The Media Markt I'm working at put up about 30-40 XB1's for sale 2 weeks ago. We still have half of them. PS4s usually sell out within hours whenever we get them.

ClearData

The ETA for January NPD numbers is at the end of the week, correct? That would give a snapshot of U.S. performance, at least.

Daedardus

umm...what?!

Well, I was halfly joking but there's some truth to a company that has trouble meeting demand. It'd be better for them if they could ramp up that production and sell everyone who knows they want a PS4 a unit. Not meeting demand essentially means lost sales. Of course it's not that simple with having to watch out for overproduction in the midterm and a risk of a drop off for financial reports. But small stock only annoys the consumer in the end and should be nothing to brag about.

Meanwhile Walmart has Xbox One + free game for $499.
Yeah because they're selling SO well that Walmart has to be competitive in the Xbox One rush. I even saw a PS4 in a store once, seriously.

Genuinely though, Xbox One consoles are like a plague in Hampshire/Lincolnshire in the UK whereas my friend struggled for about 2 months to get a PS4.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Hmm I wonder if I could sell mine for $600 or more since it's "sold out"

I know a couple of people who did it last december.

Freeman

Banned
Not that I would buy for the price they are charging here in Brazil, but I am yet to see a single PS4 on shelves since release and there is plenty of Xones. They are probably not even bothering until they find a way to lower the cost.

GPsych

They're all over the place in Loveland, Colorado. Admittedly, almost everyone who lives here is 65+ years old so I'm not sure how much PS4 demand there is for that demographic.

Blastoise

Banned
I hope after the Japanese launch we will see them on the shelves. I just want to walk in and grab one. I don't want to call stores or pre-order.

EGOMON

Well, I was halfly joking but there's some truth to a company that has trouble meeting demand. It'd be better for them if they could ramp up that production and sell everyone who knows they want a PS4 a unit. Not meeting demand essentially means lost sales. Of course it's not that simple with having to watch out for overproduction in the midterm and a risk of a drop off for financial reports. But small stock only annoys the consumer in the end and should be nothing to brag about.

Ah i see where you coming from i was confused a bit lol

Where I am, there's never any in stock. It makes me glad I preordered. It kind of reminds me of when my brother was trying to get a Wii every Sunday morning since the launch.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't seen a PS4 or a camera in the wild since launch. Sony I want that camera!

I finally saw some PS4s at both Best Buy and Target last week (Buckhead/Lindbergh stores in Atlanta). Both had 3 or 4, and about the same number of X1s. No PS cameras as far as I could tell though.

RE_Player

I finally saw some PS4s at both Best Buy and Target last week (Buckhead/Lindbergh stores in Atlanta). Both had 3 or 4, and about the same number of X1s. No PS cameras as far as I could tell though.
I bet they didn't think the Playstation Camera would be a hit. Wonder when they'll ramp up production of them again.

test_account

XP-39C²
Welcome back Arrogant Sony

:p
How so? It doesnt seem arrogant to me, at least not the way the article writes it. The picture posted earlier in this thread where Sony talks about the gap between PS2 and Xbox/Gamecube being like the Gran Canyon, thats more arrogant though :)

LIAR. I saw one at my local target. You liar Sony you lie you think you can get away with Lying but you were wrong Sony you were wrongggggg because I found a playstation 4 and now everyone and I mean EVERYONE knows about the time you lieeed on the internet in your internal presentation
How dare they lieeeeeeeee.

UK here, entire district constantly sells out of solus units. All we have left are knack and killzone bundles, and those are only available as part of our 'deals' (i.e. Fifa 14 + 1 year PS+ sub = £449). If we offered the console by itself, we'd routinely sell out weeks before new shipments arrived.

Xbox Ones are still piled up. We have 3 pre-owned units going for £389 sitting in the window.

Does anyone know when is the next time Sony will reveal WW numbers for PS4?

There is no set time for them to release WW numbers as it's a PR move.

As SolidSnakex mentioned there are various events they might mention it although apparently Destination Playstation isn't for the public so doubt it would be there. GDC is possible, E3 is pretty much guaranteed

Why not New Zealand?

Any reason? Not familiar with that territory.

It's a joke based off another member here being a tad disingenuous about how PS4's were selling in New Zealand

Yagharek

Time for Jack T to renew that bet?

He might have to pay out on the first one before he can renew it ;)

That said, its encouraging to see these early sales for PS4. Compared to the relatively obnoxious view MS seems to have towards non-"Tier 1" consumers I find it far more preferable to see PS4 become market leader.

Sony just need to stop price gouging on PSN digital content ($10 more expensive than retail versions in Australia) and I'll probably get one.

spwolf

Nope. If I had to guess i'd say either Destination Playstation or GDC. GDC seems much more likely since it's an event covered by the media.

maybe even after NPD's or after Japanese launch... they will keep us informed because it helps them as well - media will keep writing how PS4 is hot and in demand and hence that will increase the demand.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Why not New Zealand?

Any reason? Not familiar with that territory.

*sigh* for the tenth time:

Some now (perma?)banned dude named oconnomiyaki claimed demand for PS4s had fallen "like a rocket" in New Zealand where he lived. Everyone proved him wrong within minutes. He still stuck with his story. hence the hilarity at his expense.

Meanwhile In "Tier 2" Territory with no official Xbox One release date yet :

Yup, my country (Belgium) does not even have a release date yet...but it already has plenty of Xbox One's stock (took those pictures just walking in 2 different stores in Brussels last week).
At least they aren't the Day One edition.

PJV3

At least they aren't the Day One edition.

A bit weird though, are they going to bother with an official launch, or just accept the stealth release. Are they everywhere in that country now?

I wasn't expecting pallets of the console to be available.
Nevermind, I need my eyes testing I thought they were all FIFA XB1s not 360s.

Top Bottom