• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: “PS4 ‘generally sold out at all retailers”

Sony just held a meeting to discuss the state of the PS4 in general. What journalists decide to make of that info is up to them.

Increased market-share amongst "heavy-gamers"
172M online gameplay hours LTD
90% of PS4's are net-connected, (70% for PS3 after 3 years)
Weekly use: 34M hours on games, 16M hours on entertainment
48M video/screenshot shares
1.7M hours of livestreaming
PSN card sales up 120% YOY
PS+ subs up 90% since PS4 launch

I'm guessing no, but did they say if those PSN card sales include PS+ subs or wether it's just wallet credits?

Texhex

Banned
It's true. Online retailers are sold out all the time.
A new shipment lasts 1 - 3 days until it's sold out again (in NA).
Can't find a PS4 on Amazon, Best Buy, and so on.
I heard germany is waiting for over 2 months now.
No PS4's, because the shops have to deal with the pre-orders.

I don't go to Best Buy/Future Shop often, but when I do I check just to see and there are never any PS4s.

I've seen Xbox Ones at a few stores, but I've yet to see a PS4.

saw 2 at my target two, anyways sounds like npd damage control

hmmm.....

Welcome back Arrogant Sony

:p

An internal meeting where they say "the promise of what’s to come is really critical."

hmmmm.......

Either way, I think they are playing there cards fine. The time to release what's to come is when demand starts to go down. January is typically the slowest month, and yet it's still selling well. I don't see this as arrogant. Maybe logical?

Micerider

Meanwhile In "Tier 2" Territory with no official Xbox One release date yet :

Yup, my country (Belgium) does not even have a release date yet...but it already has plenty of Xbox One's stock (took those pictures just walking in 2 different stores in Brussels last week).

Meijer tends to carry PS4s, not sure about Toys R Us. Have seen Xbox Ones at Target and Toys R Us though. Mid last month I even spotted a Day One Xbox One.

Serenity

How much of this is constrained supply due to Sony stocking up for the Japanese launch? The puzzling bit is that it's mid-Feb and Sony is still having trouble shipping out units in decent numbers -- this is supposed to be a generic box vs the weird custom chips on PS2/PS3, so why aren't they able to meet demand?

Like was said in the other thread they aren't having trouble. They are making and selling more consoles than any company in history to this point. If you look at the weekly charts in the PAL thread you will see ps4 games are taking over the charts. If there wasn't any supply this would not be happening. It just sells that fast.

Not to be too cynical but I'm sure some of it has to do with image. They want PS4's to sell as soon as they hit the store. Keeping supply 'low' makes the item seem like something you have to purchase when you see it. If you went to BB and always saw a stack of fifty sitting there then you wouldn't consider it as something you had to get, right that instant.

Truthfully though, I'm sure they are trying to hold back a solid amount of consoles for the Japan launch next week.

Where do you think they are hiding these consoles they have but refuse to sell to artificially reduce supply?

And for the fake shortage plan to work they would still have to supply more consoles than their competitors if they plan on being number one.

Yup, my country (Belgium) does not even have a release date yet...but it already has plenty of Xbox One's stock (took those pictures just walking in 2 different stores in Brussels last week).

All right that's just funny

Guymelef

Looks like Media Markt/Saturn central warehouse are sending their overstock...

B.O.O.M

eatreggiepigeon.gif

I just wanted an excuse to post this gif

fk...didn't even know that this was a thing....turtles can be scary

m0t0k1

Make them €99 like the wiiu's and record it live on film should be enough for some great tv and great marketing for media markt.

Cheech

In the USA, this is pretty much bullshit. I can throw a rock from my work and hit a big box store with plenty of PS4s for sale.

Micerider

Make them €99 like the wiiu's and record it live on film should be enough for some great tv and great marketing for media markt.

Hehe, you know, I think they are trying to do the same with PS3's now. Saw a Mediamarkt's add yesterday for PS3 Slim (12Gb version) selling for 139 euros. Not as impressive as the Wii U offer, but it is bound to move some people.

For the Xbox One...it's...everywhere. I can't believe it, the console has no frigging release date here but I have found dozens of them at various FNAC, Mediamarkt, Smartoys and PlayerOne shops here. I almost picked one, but eventually restrained myself from doing so (got a PS4 for multiplat, and only Forza 5 is really pushing me for an Xbox One for now).

PS4 is nowhere to be found in Belgium bytw.

Hoo-doo

Banned
In the USA, this is pretty much bullshit. I can throw a rock from my work and hit a big box store with plenty of PS4s for sale.

Apparently, this is not remotely the case for many people in the US, read the thread.

Maybe, just maybe your regional supply-situation is not actually representative of the entire country.

It's true. I have yet to see any PS4's just sitting around my local Best Buy. A couple days ago I was in there and I asked an employee what the deal was. He told me their store gets in a shipment of a few hundred PS4s a day, but they sell out within minutes. I thought he made a mistake so I asked him if he meant to say hours but he shook his head no and silently mouthed the word 'minutes.' As for Xbox Ones, the store I go to apparently had so many sitting around that they actually built a great wall of Xbox Ones around the outside of the store. I thought that was strange so I asked an employee about that too. He said they were selling so poorly that it actually made financial sense to use them to augment the store's security and apparently it's working and deterring would be thieves from breaking into the store at night to steal the PS4 camera and other PS4 peripherals. Crazy huh

It's true. Online retailers are sold out all the time.
A new shipment lasts 1 - 3 days until it's sold out again (in NA).
Can't find a PS4 on Amazon, Best Buy, and so on.
I heard germany is waiting for over 2 months now.
No PS4's, because the shops have to deal with the pre-orders.

Here in Sweden its basically the same as in Germany. Talked to local gamestop on behalf of my brother in law and gf brother but they said they get almost the same amount of preorders as they get consoles. Also he said that not many of the people asking about it wants to preorder (50$ deposit) so he thought it would be hard to get on in the future when preorders are meet.

Saya Brea

Banned

There have been 3 members from DFW in Texas who've only found a few since launch, that speaks otherwise. Speak for your area, not a whole country.

Brew124

Just saw a few today at Walmart here in Ohio. I've seen them a few times there, but they don't last more than a day or two at most.

EGOMON

eatreggiepigeon.gif

I just wanted an excuse to post this gif

WTF! since when turtles eat birds?!!

on topic: here in middle east we received one shipment after the official launch but got sold out within a day, the console no where to be find oh and Xbox doesn't have a market here i doubt they will ever officially launch it.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yesterday my local Best Buy (Los Angeles) had a big sign out front saying they had PS4s in stock. This is the FIRST time I've seen them in stock since launch, although I've yet to actually see one on the shelves.

Briarios

Here in Tampa, I saw 4 or 5 PS4s in a case at a Target today. First time, actually. I'll check and see if they're there tomorrow.

Card Boy

Banned

Cool? PS4s got sold out at the pre-order stage 2 months before release in Australia and you can't get one until at least March. We all know they sent the all the PS4 shipments to America.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Right? Those liars...

CAUGHT and EXPOSED

As said earlier in the thread, BLOWNY. PHONY.

I'd also add TOTALLY, just for giving more strength to your words.

Being serious, there are reports about the console being available in US, and reports of it being sold out. Still, they said "generally", so they're not saying that it's COMPLETELY sold out. And, to be honest, I'd believe much more Sony than MS, for such statements. :p

plainr_

My cousin and her friend was on a scavenger hunt for one last week. I guess it's still sold out here in Vegas. I have yet to see one in the wild myself.

SkylineRKR

True in Holland as well. Seriously, I've yet to encounter the first Ps4 in a store. And I always have to take a look when I'm in a store, just out of curiosity.

The only Ps4 i've seen is the one I picked up on the 29th of November.

Carnby

LIAR. I saw one at my local target. You liar Sony you lie you think you can get away with Lying but you were wrong Sony you were wrongggggg because I found a playstation 4 and now everyone and I mean EVERYONE knows about the time you lieeed on the internet in your internal presentation

I don't get it. Is this a parody of an Xbox 1 or PS4 fan?

Top Bottom