• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY banned someone based on his real name

Noobcraft

Because they designed it for that. Sony didn't. Now they're stuck with a subpar architecture unless they (partially) tear it down and rebuild it.
Maybe they should use all that PS+ money the community is giving them to modernize their architecture and provide people with basic functionality like 2 step auth. and name changing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe they should use all that PS+ money the community is giving them to modernize their architecture and provide people with basic functionality like 2 step auth. and name changing.
I doubt that this is primarily a money issue, but we'll see what happends with PSN further on.

It's really not 'fair' at all actually. It just shows how much they NEED to invest in fixing this shit. I understand wanting to make him change his name, and I'm sure he does too, but the fact that he has to compromise in any way at all is way beyond 'fair' and is actually just shit.

Agree. The situation is nothing i would remotely call fair. I mean Sony blocked a customer that had an id for 10 years and now they decided it's not good anymore and took his stuff out of him just like that. I mean WTF is this shit ? They should give him money credit or something for causing him problems in the first place. Not creating a new account, making him lose his stats, friends and calling it a day.

Budi

Whew the blatant racism in this thread.

People would probably be defending Sony if his name was Osama or Saddam too.

Who would you be defending if his name was Kike? And I really don't think (m)any here agree with the banning of the account but would rather have his games back but with different username. Atleast I hope that would rather be the case. Since Sony has fucked up with the complete ban, but obviously people can find his name to be offensive even with multiple meanings. Random PSN user can't know the origin of his name.

Edit: Glad to see the problem got resolved and he didn't get unfairly punished for his given name.

MaulerX

It's really not 'fair' at all actually. It just shows how much they NEED to invest in fixing this shit. I understand wanting to make him change his name, and I'm sure he does too, but the fact that he has to compromise in any way at all is way beyond 'fair' and is actually just shit.

Yea, you're right. It's not fair but I'm still glad he got to keep his purchases. If anything this has brought to light the clusterfuck of a network they have. Apparently other people (in less pubicized cases) have lost purchases etc... similarly. I can't believe this has gone relatively unchecked all this time.

L.O.R.D

glad he got his account back...but in what price
dam it Sony.

so in order to make name change,all trophies must be reset?

i have friend also named jihad in his PSN name and change it,but he didn't lose any trophy.

I doubt that this is primarily a money issue, but we'll see what happends with PSN further on.

With how terribly it seems like they designed that system, I could see it being more a matter of downtime. There's a good chance that even Sony doesn't know how much downtime they would need to implement the overhaul that PSN needs. That's incredibly hard to communicate to customers, especially when PS4 has so much goodwill. The last thing they want to do is take PSN offline for a week/few weeks/month as a scheduled event.

Gnomist

TheYanger said:
I understand wanting to make him change his name, and I'm sure he does too, but the fact that he has to compromise in any way at all is way beyond 'fair' and is actually just shit.

I agree with this. I understand global companies will have broad rules or guidelines in place that are meant to work for the majority, but in special cases like this they should absolutely be doing more. The fact that it seemingly took some bad publicity to even get them to restore his purchases and give him a new account name (that they picked out for him!?) is garbage. After someone with some authority was made aware of this situation they should have done better than that.

Tumle

Sony made it so that you could link your Facebook name and picture to your own account.. Why can't they make a new layer that would be like that for in game names?

test_account

XP-39C²
With how terribly it seems like they designed that system, I could see it being more a matter of downtime. There's a good chance that even Sony doesn't know how much downtime they would need to implement the overhaul that PSN needs. That's incredibly hard to communicate to customers, especially when PS4 has so much goodwill. The last thing they want to do is take PSN offline for a week/few weeks/month as a scheduled event.
Yeah, that sounds like a probable reason.

TheYanger

I agree that's the primary reason, but I'd be shocked if it took more than a day or two. The other issue is just the amount of testing they need to do to make sure it'll even work, they could easily completely break certain games or something. Doesn't mean they don't need to do it. Like, sooner or later it HAS to be done. It's like upgrading your shit for Y2K, at some point you have to rip that bandaid off, because it's a pretty serious flaw.

L.O.R.D

hehehe

https://twitter.com/D_Qahtani0/status/747519483078713344

Hey @PlayStation forgot to ban 9800 PSN with the same ID as @iJihad ..Unban iJihad or refund him his money #disgrace

Cl-4_8EXIAEQXfZ.jpg

Nerokis

What the origin of the word is interesting in itself. But it doesn't really matter considering the meaning has actually been changed or skewed over time. This is not uncommon. Plenty of words have changed their meanings over time, one example being the word "gay".

The usage is not solely media created. We know for a fact that it started with religious political extremists who hijacked the concept to justify various forms of violence.

So the word has now an established current meaning, and everyone must take the consequences of that, right or wrong. No one can seriously expect Sony to let this go just like that, not when the world is what it is right now.

He should be given back his stuff though, of course.

People tend to make this point in such a self-serving way. You acknowledge the malleability of language, but only to say your personal definition of a word is the "established" one. The word 'jihad' has multiple meanings, and evokes different things for different people. For some who only care about Islam to the extent it shows up on the news, it means a certain thing; for people who care about the nuances and complexities of Islam, I'm sure the concept of jihad is multifaceted and far from inherently bad.

This situation has most of the staples of discrimination. The name Muhammad is tainted now for a lot of people, but that doesn't mean it should be banned. I see no reason the name Jihad should be. Barack Hussein Obama got a lot of flack for his name, as another example, but luckily the majority of Americans were able to see past the stigma.

_Ryo_

They gave him another account but without his friends, social media and trophies? That's dumb as fuck. I mean, other than games its pretty much the main point of an account is well, the things you use it for.

L.O.R.D

They gave him another account but without his friends, social media and trophies? That's dumb as fuck. I mean, other than games its pretty much the main point of an account is well, the things you use it for.
Wait,WHAT?

so they made new account with stupid name and then they transferred his games to the new account?
Because i still see his old account.
Why not make him create new account with good name and then transfer games from his old account?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Dude... No. As a Muslim, I know what I'm talking about with regards to this. Jihad means a war or fight, generally. Not only in terms of religious wars for the sake of Allah, but wars in general. In fact, the word is mainly used in Islam to describe an internal battle with ones self to overcome one's weaknesses and lusts. It's a way of improving one's self. Yes, recently it's been mainly used as a word to refer to physical religious war, but that's not where the word comes from, the media has created that connotation with the word.

Please, Google is your friend.

But the meaning war... I mean, what kind of sick parent do you have to be to name your child war? Even if it is not a religious war, or not even a physical war, I can hardly see how that is a positive name for a child. Anyway, it should be allowed to carry one's real name in a community. You don't get to choose your real name. So I feel Sony should lift the ban.

TheYanger

But the meaning war... I mean, what kind of sick parent do you have to be to name your child war? Even if it is not a religious war, or not even a physical war, I can hardly see how that is a positive name for a child. Anyway, it should be allowed to carry one's real name in a community. You don't get to choose your real name. So I feel Sony should lift the ban.

That's not how language and translation works. The concept of war is more akin to a struggle in this case.

Trup1aya

My god!

Have you ever heard of the phrase "lost in translation"?The number of perfect 1:1 translations between Arabic and English has got to TINY. When different people try to define jihad in English, you'll here graduating variations of the same concept: personal struggle -> noble conflict -> righteous battle -> holy war. Can't you see how the meanings can melt into each other?

It's a mistake to assume that the parents names their kid 'War'

Orca

War is one meaning, not all meanings. Struggle against odds is a more apt definition.

And the list of baby names in Alberta was just released. I'd rather ask what was on the minds of parents that named their kid Bane or Neo.

Because they designed it for that. Sony didn't. Now they're stuck with a subpar architecture unless they (partially) tear it down and rebuild it.

Only if close-minded atheists make up your main clientele.

They better have a plan in place to get this system fixed. If they continuously pile on to a shitty architecture its eventually going to topple down around them and they will deserve it when it happens.

Davide

Putting "jihad" in your username is really unwise whether that's your real name or not, frankly.

The anger directed towards Sony here for this is ridiculous.

Detective

Putting "jihad" in your username is really unwise whether that's your real name or not.

The anger directed towards Sony here for this is utterly ridiculous.

It's his name. And his GT was created years ago.

Do you own some stocks at Sony or just being a completely fan boy now?

Any company that violate a customer right should be treated as such no matter what company that is.

If the guy hadn't post this on the internet and the websites shared his story Sony would never back off.

Hate toward Sony..Please..

AAK

Putting "jihad" in your username is really unwise whether that's your real name or not.

The anger directed towards Sony here for this is ridiculous.

Sony was about to strip away thousands of dollars worth of software from him just because of a name he was born with that has become turned into something taboo because of ignorance. They deserve far worse.

What you wrote is straight up victim blaming.

Detective

Sony was about to strip away thousands of dollars worth of software from him just because of a name he was born with that has become turned into something taboo because of ignorance. They deserve far worse.

poundit.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Man...

Just goes to show that for some people, they just don't seem willing to understand and prefer to have their clamshell world-view affirmed again and again and again instead of learning and accepting. Sick parents, you say, as you so easily attributing some kind of mental illness to people doing something that you are not comfortable with since they are beyond your own personal world-view.

This whole ordeal is saddening for me to see.

I'll give Sony props if they allow you free name changes. Bigger props if they let you change names without limit. Steam + origin (I think origin but not 100%) let you change names whenever, for free, however many times you want. Battlenet lets you change once for free, but only once and never again. I know xbox charges you like 10usd which in my mind is the dumbest thing ever.

Seriously. If this is someone's defense for Sony, they may as well have said "Sony is such a terrible company that they should be held to lower standards than children."

Davide

It's his name. And his GT was created years ago.

Do you own some stocks at Sony or just being a completely fan boy now?

Any company that violate a customer right should be treated as such no matter what company that is.

If the guy hadn't post this on the internet and the websites shared his story Sony would never back off.

Hate toward Sony..Please..
And how about if his name was a different racist term which I won't write here or even if his full name spelled out a racist sentence?

I don't think you have the right to use your full name as a user name without any exceptions. This would probably be the case on GAF as well.

I can't say I support any one being banned from their PSN purchases in any case. I don't think he deserved a permaban, although I'm fine with Sony taking action like asking him to change his username, which is what should have been happened in the first place.

I have no problem saying it was a really bad idea.

New update:

I don't understand why Sony didn't do this in first place...
I'm glad this got a reasonably good ending. I hope he was at least compensated a little for this massive inconvinience. The internet shouldn't have to band together for one guy to be able to keep his purchases.

This is all still incredibly poor from Sony. The fact that their 10+ year old online infrastructure is still incapable of simple changes to accounts is incredibly embarrassing. Sony as a developer and publisher has its consistent high points, but PSN as a whole is just an awful, unfriendly service.

edit:

And how about if his name was a different racist term which I won't write here or even if his full name spelled out a racist sentence?

I don't think you have the right to use your full name as a user name without any exceptions. This would probably be the case on GAF as well.

This argument has been made throughout this thread and it still doesn't hold any water. Jihad is an incredibly common middle eastern name. Overtly racist words or phrases are not. It's a false equivalence and needs to stop being made. PSN is a global service and needs to consider more than just the perception of the west.

GAF is an English speaking forum and does not cater to the audience that PSN does. They're not comparable.

Also a Jihad in the holy war sense isn't inherently racist. That in itself is ignorant.

Detective

I can't say I support any one being banned from their PSN purchases in any case. I don't think he deserved a permaban, although I'm fine with Sony taking action like asking him to change his username, which is what should have been happened in the first place.

Sure, I have no problem saying it was a really bad idea.

So if you're name or GT means something hateful on other contries Or cultures/language's should Sony also bans you?

Try to think outside your border for once. There are humans all over the world and stop eating whateva the media feeds you. It's a name.

I didn't see Sony having problems with these tags:

Arabkiller

GWbush

Usarmy

And don't get me starting at what's wrong with these tags.

Are they not also offending the people ? you know people outside your region ? Yes human beings.

Davide

So if you're name or GT means something hateful on other contries Or cultures/language's should Sony also bans you?

Try to think outside your border for once. There are humans all over the world and stop eating whateva the media feeds you. It's a name.
Come on, common sense. A username like "Kill***s" (whatever offensive term) would also deserve a username ID change, I (or more importantly likely Sony) don't care if it's another name in another language and it coincidentally seems racist. Jihad is a term for an ideology widely and most commonly associated with ISIS/terrorism, it's perfectly acceptable for Sony to want a user to change it. I already said I didn't think an instant ban was fitting.

AAK

Sure, I have no problem saying it was a really bad idea.

If you want to play analogies, this situation is like claiming a guy/girl made a bad idea by going outside alone because they got assaulted. NO, no innocent person should have to suffer when they did nothing wrong. Same thing here, people should have the freedom of having their names part of their handles. Sony being a multi-national company should exhibit the cultural awareness to allow the name Jihad to raise awareness and dispel the ignorance propagated by and taking the name back from the crazies.

Come on, common sense. A username like "Kill*****s" (insert racist term) would also deserve a username ID change, I don't care if it's another name in another language and it coincidentally seems racist. Jihad is a term widely and most commonly associated with radical Islam, it's perfectly acceptable for Sony to want a user to change it. I already said I didn't think an instant ban was fitting.
I'm going to stop coming into this thread now.

Come on, common sense. A username like "Kill*****s" (insert racist term) would also deserve a username ID change, I don't care if it's another name in another language and it coincidentally seems racist. Jihad is a term widely and most commonly associated with radical Islam, it's perfectly acceptable for Sony to want a user to change it. I already said I didn't think an instant ban was fitting.

I mean, fair point - there are, after all, a lot of people with that name. We're all culturally offensive because we didn't consider the culture of people whose name became something awful.

With that said, how offended are you that Obama is so insensitive for not having his middle name changed? Isn't it so obscene that he would flaunt like that?

Davide

I mean, fair point - there are, after all, a lot of people with that name. We're all culturally offensive because we didn't consider the culture of people whose name became something awful.

With that said, how offended are you that Obama is so insensitive for not having his middle name changed? Isn't it so obscene that he would flaunt like that?
Obama coincidentally had the same middle name as the last name of another person - however bad you might want to say he was, I think there's a big difference here - just like a thing there's a big difference between having "Adolf" in your PSN ID and it including "Nazi". If Sony doesn't want Jihad (the ISIS kind) or Nazism on their network, I think it's probably fine in principle to request a change in username - again, I don't support Sony permabanning him no questions asked. Just doing a quick google search, I found numerous cases of Sony permabanning people for their username for various reasons, there's a lot that they don't tolerate.

Detective

Obama coincidentally had the same name as another man - however bad you might want to say he was, I think there's a big difference here - just like a thing there's a big difference between having "Adolf" in your PSN ID and it including "Nazi". If Sony doesn't want Jihad or Nazism on their network, I think it's perfectly fine in principle to request a change in username - again, I don't support Sony permabanning him no questions asked.

Why are they not banning these? So you see what's the problem with these tags?

Arabkiller

GWbush

Usarmy

If it's okay to have names like this on PSN than Sony should reconsider their online structure. Have region locked and that's it.

Davide

Why are they not banning these?

Arabkiller

GWbush

Usarmy

If it's okay to have names like this on PSN than Sony should reconsider their online structure. Have region locked and that's it.
First one should be banned, what's your problem with the other two?

AAK

Obama coincidentally had the same name as another man - however bad you might want to say he was, I think there's a big difference here - just like a thing there's a big difference between having "Adolf" in your PSN ID and it including "Nazi". If Sony doesn't want Jihad or Nazism on their network, I think it's perfectly fine in principle to request a change in username - again, I don't support Sony permabanning him no questions asked. Just doing a quick google search, I found numerous cases of Sony permabanning people for their username for various reasons, there's a lot that they don't tolerate.

So you're OK with Sony being a multi-national company playing along with having the name Jihad as taboo based on ignorance. There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of people in the world with that name that will be applying for jobs, applying for credit, seeking services that could one day be involved with Sony that should just get the middle finger because of a name that means "struggle"?

Obama coincidentally had the same middle name as the last name of another person - however bad you might want to say he was, I think there's a big difference here - just like a thing there's a big difference between having "Adolf" in your PSN ID and it including "Nazi". If Sony doesn't want Jihad or Nazism on their network, I think it's perfectly fine in principle to request a change in username - again, I don't support Sony permabanning him no questions asked. Just doing a quick google search, I found numerous cases of Sony permabanning people for their username for various reasons, there's a lot that they don't tolerate.

People aren't named Nazi, people are named Jihad and Isis.

Detective

First one should be banned, what's your problem with the other two?

Really? Like you don't know? Of course you don't.

How many innocent people got killed by these two ? Don't you think people from other part of the world find these also offending? Or are you again thinking within your own part of the world?

I guess you didn't also see how the helicopter murdered innocent people. Or how the army treated the civilians on Iraqi prison.

But to you I guess those are all same.

What the origin of the word is interesting in itself. But it doesn't really matter considering the meaning has actually been changed or skewed over time. This is not uncommon. Plenty of words have changed their meanings over time, one example being the word "gay".

The usage is not solely media created. We know for a fact that it started with religious political extremists who hijacked the concept to justify various forms of violence.

So the word has now an established current meaning, and everyone must take the consequences of that, right or wrong. No one can seriously expect Sony to let this go just like that, not when the world is what it is right now.

He should be given back his stuff though, of course.

False.
Jihad as it is taught to Muslims around the world is a struggle of any kind to improve yourself.

You go to medical school and become a doctor? You went through jihad. You trained to become an Olympic athlete? You went through jihad.

You don't get to change the meaning of the word. It has a meaning already, educate yourself.

Davide

Alright, I'm out of this thread some things I disagree with (don't want to get into touchy subjects) still but I will say you'll have swayed my opinion on this and I am less convinced now that the PSN name "Jihad" should have been disallowed - especially as it is a common Middle Eastern name, which I wasn't really aware of, and I wasn't aware of the other definitions. Sony can I think understandably decide what they want on this (and they have fortunately made some corrections), but I wouldn't make the same decision as them (in either banning or making him change the name).

Anticol

Banned
Come on, common sense. A username like "Kill***s" (insert whatever offensive term) would also deserve a username ID change, I (or more importantly likely Sony) don't care if it's another name in another language and it coincidentally seems racist. Jihad is a term for an ideology widely and most commonly associated with ISIS/terrorism, it's perfectly acceptable for Sony to want a user to change it. I already said I didn't think an instant ban was fitting.

It is associated to terrorism and ISIS by you not by their culture, fuck why don't people respect other cultures? Seriously what is wrong with you guys, there is probably a lot of offensive stuff in American and/or European cultures int eh eyes of others, but you will not let them censored you or will you?

Censoring the real name of a guy just because you find it offensive is wrong, as simple as that. Stop blaming the victim for god's sake.

Top Bottom