• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

Move is much more marketable than Arc or Gem. I's better assosiated with the product... as in moving about, so advertising won't have to explain anything there. The Wii's also done the job of getting the motion stuff out there, so people will almost be familiar with Move straight away with it's look and what it does.

jmd494

CrayzeeCarl said:
There's also an "EXT" port. If I didn't already know the subcontroller was wireless, I would think that was where that connected. Maybe that's how they're initially synced to a Move controller?

EXT port could be for extensions (Move Motion +)? :lol

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm honestly shocked this picture isn't a photoshop every time I scroll by it.

2a7toow.jpg

CrayzeeCarl said:
Also, for those hating on the name, some banned site says that the name was supposed to be "Arc" (which is why the logo looks like an "A"), but it was changed at the last minute because they were denied a copyright request.

Exactly my point. It's been done to death. It's not original.

Garjon

Baki said:
The tech is good. Games so far do not look appealing. The art style is pretty poor except for MOVE party.
This - I cannot believe I forgot to mention this. The reason why Wii games are able to overcome the system's weaknesses is using an effective art style. This is something SCE seems to have completely missed (especially with that game show thing - dear gawd that's ugly) and as a result, the games seem to lack a much needed 'charm factor'.

4423031462_c7f959bd98_b.jpg

I LOVE the PS3, but has there been a more shameless rip off/imitation in the history of video games?

Anyway, the bulb thing just looks fragile. Was that really the best option?

Right, since my last post was buried under the avalanche of crap in that other thread, here I go again!

We have battery life stats!

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1076722p2.html

IGN: What's battery life looking like?

Shu Yoshida: I think we're looking at up to 10 hours with a full charge to play the games.

IGN: Does that hold true for the sub-controller, too?

Shu Yoshida: Sub-controller is much longer. 30 hours.

10 hours seems low, especially since you can't replace the batteries on a whim like with the Wiimote...

DonMigs85

BolognaSoup said:

I LOVE the PS3, but has there been a more shameless rip off/imitation in the history of video games?

It's probably made of tough, textured translucent plastic.
I must ask again. Can anyone confirm if the Sub-controller has motion sensing ability at all? I see conflicting reports online.

filopilo

what's called 'Rip off' is often simple common sense in a line of thought...
Controlers ,features , and so long...

WrikaWrek

Banned
TTP said:
This Move hate reminds me of the early Wii/Pee jokes. I guess it's a good sign after all.

Ok, i need to say something about this bs right here. Wii is still a joke of a name, i mean cmon, Wii? Really?

But Wii was "laughed at" because it's such an odd name, it sounds like some japanese game show where the winning phrase is "Wiiiiiii" and guess what, Nintendo did win that shit.

Move isn't a joke of a name, although the Home joke there by NullPointer was pretty funny, it's not a joke. Move is just bland.

It's like say, you have Google right and then MS came with that piece of shit name Bing and it was just a bad name, everybody said that Google was also an odd name but they are different in that Google is a funny weird name while Bing is a bland piece of shit.

Sorry man, but no. And i hate the Wii name.

shagg_187 said:
I think they included X and O on subcontroller cause it's a "Enter/Exit" button for menus and a way of making it useful for navigation.

I seriously must be the only one on this Earth that sees why they put X and O on both of them.

Just look at the thumbs on the pictures. It is so you can easily tap X,O,[], or ^ without having to move your thumb off the squiggly button/analog stick. Pretty genius to me. Unlike, say the Wii remote where you have to move your thumb off of the D-pad during play to hit + or _ or 1 and 2, it makes it easier for the person to be in contact with all buttons at the same time.

I may be the only person that sees this, though.

bryehn

Sorry for the bump, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put this.

Richard Marks is about to present a keynote at the 2010 Games for Health Conference in Boston.

Considering how much headway Wii has made in the games for health/serious games area, I'm really excited to see Sony involved at an early stage (with Move) in this field. I'll update if I hear any pertinent info come out.

ram

O-Games Announces John Daly’s ProStroke Golf to Feature Sony’s PlayStation®Move Technology at E3 2010

O-Games™ is proud to announce that its upcoming golf title, John Daly’s Prostroke Golf, will be utilizing Sony’s recently unveiled motion control scheme, PlayStation®Move support! John Daly’s ProStroke Golf will be debuting at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) from 15-17 June, 2010, at the Los Angeles Convention Center, and will feature none other than the man himself, John “The Lion” Daly in the O-Games booth showcasing the title…make your appointment to come by and check out the legend and his exciting new title today!

John will be on hand all day Tuesday, 16th June, challenging players to “Grip it and Rip it” and showing off the game’s innovative ProStroke™ control scheme that will take advantage of PlayStation®Move.

darkwing

ram said:
O-Games Announces John Daly’s ProStroke Golf to Feature Sony’s PlayStation®Move Technology at E3 2010

O-Games™ is proud to announce that its upcoming golf title, John Daly’s Prostroke Golf, will be utilizing Sony’s recently unveiled motion control scheme, PlayStation®Move support! John Daly’s ProStroke Golf will be debuting at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) from 15-17 June, 2010, at the Los Angeles Convention Center, and will feature none other than the man himself, John “The Lion” Daly in the O-Games booth showcasing the title…make your appointment to come by and check out the legend and his exciting new title today!

John will be on hand all day Tuesday, 16th June, challenging players to “Grip it and Rip it” and showing off the game’s innovative ProStroke™ control scheme that will take advantage of PlayStation®Move.

woah!

kharma45

BolognaSoup said:

I remember reading somewhere that the bulb at the end isn't hard, it's kind of malleable and squeezable/squidgy.

Sony Computer Entertainment head Shuhei Yoshida noted that the sphere on the end of the Move was actually soft, and wouldn’t have the same shattering effect if thrown at, say, a TV. “What’s good about the sphere is that it’s very, very robust,” said Yoshida. “It’s much more robust in terms of protection for the controller and people around it because it’s soft. So we don’t need a sleeve.”

Bradach

bryehn said:
Sorry for the bump, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put this.

Richard Marks is about to present a keynote at the 2010 Games for Health Conference in Boston.

Considering how much headway Wii has made in the games for health/serious games area, I'm really excited to see Sony involved at an early stage (with Move) in this field. I'll update if I hear any pertinent info come out.

how did it go? any good stuff / new tech demos? couldn't find any video of it on google :(

V_Ben

Banned
ram said:

Hmm. Will it control better than tiger '11 with move? We'll see...

Dave Long

Banned

O-Games Announces John Daly’s ProStroke Golf to Feature Sony’s PlayStation®Move Technology

O-Games Announces John Daly’s ProStroke Golf

John Daly’s ProStroke Golf

ProStroke Golf

ProStroke

RavenFox

Banned
Just read that reaction time, from movement to delivering to the screen, is just 22 milliseconds and on screen it is pixel precise

RavenFox said:
Just read that reaction time, from movement to delivering to the screen, is just 22 milliseconds and on screen it is pixel precise
You can't really beat that. Each frame at 60 fps is 16.7 milliseconds (33.3ms at 30fps).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

thcsquad

WrikaWrek said:
Ok, i need to say something about this bs right here. Wii is still a joke of a name, i mean cmon, Wii? Really?

But Wii was "laughed at" because it's such an odd name, it sounds like some japanese game show where the winning phrase is "Wiiiiiii" and guess what, Nintendo did win that shit.

Move isn't a joke of a name, although the Home joke there by NullPointer was pretty funny, it's not a joke. Move is just bland.

It's like say, you have Google right and then MS came with that piece of shit name Bing and it was just a bad name, everybody said that Google was also an odd name but they are different in that Google is a funny weird name while Bing is a bland piece of shit.

Sorry man, but no. And i hate the Wii name.

With Google and Bing, it just sounds like you're grasping at straws. They are both weird-sounding names, and neither is more bland than the other. The only difference is that Google is more successful, so you can make up theories about the name to justify it.

I'll agree on Wii versus Move, though. Move sounds like a marketing team picked it, while Wii sounds like the children of a marketing team picked it.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
FOUND IT!!!!!!!

Games for Health Day 2 Highlights:

The opening festivities continued with Richard Marks, senior researcher at Sony who discussed balance in the context of the EyeToy, its history, and the evolution of their new Move controller. How do you balance the physical with the mental, interactivity with passivity, imagination with action, being social with being alone, and finally, delight with purpose? Marks talked about "somatic gratification" in interfaces and the ultimate balance of encumbrance versus empowerment. He showed compelling videos of simple virtual manipulations of glasses of water and slinky fabric and my hair stood up because I felt the sensation of what was shown without doing it myself. I experienced somatic gratification by proxy -- something I haven't felt since I was doing networked VR experiments many years ago. I know that everyone in the audience felt it too. Finally, I feel a little less alone in the world ;)

As Marks continued to demonstrate the Move controller, the audience was further impressed and delighted. I found myself smiling deeply because this technology and modality is finally out of research labs and in the consumer living room. And for cheap. And perhaps, may I dare say it is also somewhat robust and ready for content? It has been a long time since my research partner and I painted ping pong balls in different colors and wore silly hats to perform endless motion tracking calibration sessions. We were being geeky grad students but Sony is [ FINALLY ] making it cool and affordable, and that is revolutionary. Microsoft Project Natal is trying to achieve a similar goal. Pair that with a stereo 3DTV and call it real VR and now all of a sudden you have a powerful telehealth platfform that is deployable in the home.

Looks like we may have just found a hint of how Sony will market the Move controller, somatic gratification.

Source

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Actually, someone's uploaded his keynote to Youtube.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/ExergameLab#p/u/3/OkTnZluYo1E

The water and cloth demos were the stuff they were doing around about E3 05, when they showed the duck demo. They had a version where it wasn't in the bathroom, but where it was a video feed of yourself with the cups, but the virtual water composited in.

Shows other neat little insights. They had a demo with eyetoy that never got finished that they show, but it looked cool: render a fake shadow into the scene, so that the fake shadow could play around and do stuff different to you.

Also show some of the evolution of Move...they at one point had a protoptype that was a DS3 turned on its side with the prongs hacked off and the ball on top :p Talks about how a certain level of 'encumberment' (in terms of holding a controller) can actually be a good thing etc. etc.

Man

I like the hush hush tone of the video. It's like they sneaked into a empty warehouse or something and started playing.

Edit: Is that a Trico demo in the background? Looks like the spot where the birdcat and boy are sleeping.

Man

Sports Championship (the game they are playing 90% of the time in the video) looks breezy. I mean, it zips in and out of different games without any sort of loading and it looks pretty enough.

1-D_FTW

DeadGzuz said:
Edit: The chick in purple is retarded.

:lol As I was watching the beginning footage of table tennis, I thought, that's some awful waggle there. I can't believe she's scoring points off that. Then they started showing her on-screen actions and all I could do is :lol . Good god, woman. If you're weakly hitting the ball straight into the air and missing the table entirely, don't you think it's time to try a new technique?

Top Bottom