• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

Mik2121 said:
Because "let's use the Wii" sounded super hot back when the Wii was announced, right?.

Seriously, I just can't shake my head anymore with you guys.. It's like nobody here learnt with the whole Wii thing... :|

You can't compare a common word to a completely new word for something. Nintendo said they chose the name Wii thinking of names like Google, which sounded stupid initially but soon became synonymous with searching without ANY chance of being mistaken for something else. The name Wii is the same. The name Move, isn't.

racerx

Banned
Sony and Microsoft will be in for a surprise after both their motion techs bomb this holiday season.

I understand why both are trying to out wii the wii, but I think all the novelty of motion control that the general public has has been spent by Nintendo. Sony and MS won't be able to replicate Wii's success.

also I really don't think the wii is successful because of the motion tech. Certainly, some people, especially the casuals, bought because of the motion control, but the wii success has more to do with Nintendo's brand image more than anything.

It'll be a lesson learned by both sony and MS.

OniShiro

Banned
Move? Seriously? their heads must have exploded to think such a name.

At least Gem or Arc were original names, Move sounds silly.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Move makes a lot of sense that apparently few people thought about.
-The logo looks like a heartbeat and the letter M.
-Obviously, the name and logo wants to encourage people to actively engage in their gaming
-Move is straightforward and has a lot of meaning as both PlayStation's "Move" (like in chess) towards this section of the consumer pie, as well as relating to getting people to "Move", and like a "Movement", hopes this will sweep across the world.

It's obvious you guys don't work in marketing, because you laughed at the name Wii, too.

They also make abso-fucking-lutely no sense.

OniShiro said:
Move? Seriously? their heads must have exploded to think such a name.

Arc is already the name of a fitness suite. It is not unique at all. I believe Noah may also have a patent.

Apath

I NEED SCISSORS said:
At least it's way better than Arc.
You're nuts. Arc sounded good. Move.... eh.
Dogenzaka said:
Move makes a lot of sense that apparently few people thought about.
-The logo looks like a heartbeat and the letter M.
-Obviously, the name and logo wants to encourage people to actively engage in their gaming
-Move is straightforward and has a lot of meaning as both PlayStation's "Move" (like in chess) towards this section of the consumer pie, as well as relating to getting people to "Move", and like a "Movement", hopes this will sweep across the world.

It's obvious you guys don't work in marketing, because you laughed at the name Wii, too.

They also make abso-fucking-lutely no sense.
To be fair, Wii is a totally made up word that sounds synonymous with piss. Not to mention you would probably be posting the same exact thing if it went from Gem/Move to Arc.

Raist

Banned
Kenak said:

Well "Arc" might sound mysterious and high-tech and cool and all, but I think "Move" probably represents the product better, hence is a much more marketable name.

Some (reputable) German magzine just had the following headline show up on German Google News: "Sony's Wii controller to be released this fall". Heavy-handed journalism at work or an attempt to be snarky? It could even be both!

Insisting that "Playstation" be part of the name was probably a mistake if Sony truly wants to go for the expanded audience thing, though.

Apath

Raist said:
Well "Arc" might sound mysterious and high-tech and cool and all, but I think "Move" probably represents the product better, hence is a much more marketable name.
*Shrug* Move just sounds generic to me is all. I acknowledged earlier in this thread, where I first heard the name, that it may grow on me like the Wii did. Time will tell I guess.

Goldrusher

magicalsoundshower said:
Some (reputable) German magzine just had the following headline show up on German Google News: "Sony's Wii controller to be released this fall". Heavy-handed journalism at work or an attempt to be snarky? It could even be both!
It's more a "Wii controller" than a "motion controller" though. The PS3 already has a motion controller.
So a title like "Sony's motion controller to be released this fall" would make readers wonder what the hell they've been playing with for the past 3.5 years then.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Lol, "Move."

Just awful.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Microsoft has a trademark for the Arc mouse. I wonder if that was the issue.
you cant trademark "arc" as you can not tradmark "water"... you can trademark "PSarc" but i really think it has nothing to do with trademark stuff at all...

---

also:hate to say i told you soo

Kenak said:
Tell that to Edge.

that was some damn mofo who tried to get some money, you cant now nor will you ever be able to trademark such words

Apath

sankt-Antonio said:
you cant trademark "arc" as you can not tradmark "water"... you can trademark "PSarc" but i really think it has nothing to do with trademark stuff at all...
Tell that to Edge.™

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, more follow up about the pointer issue from IGN.

"There are a couple of "pointer" based games on display, too. A game called "The Shoot," basically a rail shooter along the lines of Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles or Dead Space Extraction. Players move the PlayStation Move controller to guide the on-screen reticule around the playfield and shoot the incoming enemies. The "lag" I felt in the augmented reality demos was more apparent here because you didn't have your on-screen self guiding the reticule, and it wasn't matching up with any physical object. Plus, the game has its own calibration system and it was throwing off my aim – someone had set up the calibration for wide sweeping motions to guide the reticule just a few inches on-screen. Luckily a quick recalibration with the menu option, and a simple tap of the button on the controller and I was back in business.

I should note that The Shoot did get thrown out of whack in aiming, much like the same thing that happens in Wii Sports Resort's Sword Play. The game has a built-in recentering tool for when the reticule drifts, so it looks like the system may have a similar calibration issue that Wii MotionPlus does."

So it seems like, as some argued, Move is far superior for 1-1 movements for things like Table tennis and sword, but not as good for absolute pointing.

Dipswitch

Sony Move eh? I definitely thought Arc was a catchier name, but Move is far better from a branding perspective - it's an intuitive brand name that consumers will be able to get their heads around. It also looks like nice kit, but I guess gameplay will determine whether it will be a success or not. Reports of lag/precision issues during game demos do not fill me with a great deal of confidence. Those are the issues that'll make or break Natal too.

Anyway, it'll probably do ok if they flog it for $79.99 or less. That's a fair price IMO.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
What's bothers me is that, unlike weird sounding stuff like Wii and Arc, Sony Move sounds a bit like a title of a Shovelware game.

Lonely1 said:
Ok, more follow up about the pointer issue from IGN.

"There are a couple of "pointer" based games on display, too. A game called "The Shoot," basically a rail shooter along the lines of Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles or Dead Space Extraction. Players move the PlayStation Move controller to guide the on-screen reticule around the playfield and shoot the incoming enemies. The "lag" I felt in the augmented reality demos was more apparent here because you didn't have your on-screen self guiding the reticule, and it wasn't matching up with any physical object. Plus, the game has its own calibration system and it was throwing off my aim – someone had set up the calibration for wide sweeping motions to guide the reticule just a few inches on-screen. Luckily a quick recalibration with the menu option, and a simple tap of the button on the controller and I was back in business.

I should note that The Shoot did get thrown out of whack in aiming, much like the same thing that happens in Wii Sports Resort's Sword Play. The game has a built-in recentering tool for when the reticule drifts, so it looks like the system may have a similar calibration issue that Wii MotionPlus does."

the guy who wrote that also said

So it seems like, as some argued, Move is far superior for 1-1 movements for things like Table tennis and sword, but not as good for absolute pointing.

It's the implementation. Just as controls in Red Steel 1 are far inferior to Metroid Prime 3, we're looking at very early games that have different amounts of lag between the demos. Considering the tech, this shouldn't be an issue once they figure have games closer to being complete. Even in the old E3 tech demos that showed raw data, this wasn't a problem.

the guy who wrote that also says:
However, ignoring pricing, the PlayStation Move is clearly a stronger solution than Nintendo's Wii remote, nunchuk, and Wii MotionPlus combination, and it definitely has more potential because of this more sensitive and more capable tech.

a lot of conflicting reports about this thing

Baki

The tech is good. Games so far do not look appealing. The art style is pretty poor except for MOVE party.

I like Move. It sounds generic but Sony will be able to market the controller a lot better than they could have with Arc. Plus, people I've asked who aren't really gamers understand what Move is already.

Kenak said:

Move makes more sense. It's something you actually do with the controller - you move.

What the hell does Arc have to do with motion control? Nothing. I already gave my reasons for disliking it, but here they are again - it's already the name of a fitness suite, already the name of a car wash chain in the UK, and also is too reminiscent of Noah's Ark. It doesn't make any sense other than trying to be hip for the sake of hip. I know Sony's strategy is to sell you two of every controller, but come on.

TTP said:
This Move hate reminds me of the early Wii/Pee jokes. I guess it's a good sign after all.
Eh, Wii ended up 'working' because the experience that accompanied it was undeniably attractive and, most of all, wholly unique. The name just stuck because you had no other choice if you wanted a platform with that experience. Move is an optional peripheral platform on a well-defined traditional gaming system that borrows heavily from Wii. Not sure what sign that is, really.

GeeDuhb

Yeah....move is a pretty stupid name, in my opinion. It would work better for Natal than this. I am still pretty excited for this, but it is beginning to look more and more like a Wii knockoff...at least Natal is a different concept...

mik

mik is unbeatable
Not sure about some of these custom colors, but, you know, whatever:
14ae9ea.jpg

I honestly believe Sony should drop "Go" from PSP name and give it to Playstation ("Go") Controller.

It has a nice ring to it and will gain alot of attentions and acceptance for gamers.

Okay, I finally found what I was looking for, now let's hope this is the right Move thread. :lol Some people were asking about the issue of multiple devices needing to be charged via USB with the limited number of ports on the PS3. It looks like Sony will release a dock for the wands because they seem to have charging contacts on the bottom:

img6648-3102010-3.jpg

There's also an "EXT" port. If I didn't already know the subcontroller was wireless, I would think that was where that connected. Maybe that's how they're initially synced to a Move controller?

Also, for those hating on the name, some banned site says that the name was supposed to be "Arc" (which is why the logo looks like an "A"), but it was changed at the last minute because they were denied a copyright request.

Top Bottom