• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Move is not a bad name, considering what they're going for :lol

Gem sounded more for the hardcore tho

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the original name was Arc.

That logo sure looks like an A and I get the feeling the subcontroller was probably called the Arc Move or just Move (since that's what it's used for).

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Okay guys, my Two sents about pointing. In the LBP demo, It clearly was using the absolute position of the ball rather than the posiiton and the angles. Socom 4 was better, But the guy himself didn't looked very confortable (i think it was stage panic :D ). But he kept doing small movements mostly with the wand and crosshair looks huge, a ball indeed. How is the normal socom crosshair?

Lonely1 said:
Okay guys, my Two sents about pointing. In the LBP demo, It clearly was using the absolute position of the ball rather than the angles. Socom 4 was better, But the guy himself didn't looked very confortable (i think it was stage panic :D ). But he kept doing small movements mostly with the wand and crosshair looks huge, a ball indeed. How is the normal socom crosshair?

On the PS2 it was a large circle too.

I find it strange that for LBP they're still wanting to you do arm motions while the SOCOM 4 demo showed the same Wii style wrist movement. Again, despite the impressive tech, what they're showing off is so...ghetto.

donny2112

So, was a nunchuk attachment announced? Edit: Yes, Move Subcontroller.
Price? Edit: No

I'm curious to see if that fighting game could be pulled off with two Wii Motion+ controllers, too.

Liked the pointing. Hopefully hands-on demonstrations turn out well. :)

KingJ2002

this is a complete rip off of the wiimote and nunchuck... but to be quite honest... seeing this in high definition. it makes these rips offs more immersive than the originals.

time crisis move incoming!

Man

4422280435_98ed827968_b.jpg

4423031462_c7f959bd98_b.jpg

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

alr1ghtstart said:
PR

OVERVIEW

PlayStation®Move offers a new and innovative gaming experience for the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) system
by fusing realistic, high-definition gaming along with accurate, intuitive control. Consisting of
PlayStation®Move motion controller, PlayStation®Move sub-controller and PlayStation®Eye camera,
PlayStation Move enables sophisticated motion control and immersive gameplay only possible on the PS3
system.

PLAYSTATION®MOVE MOTION CONTROLLER

The corner stone of PlayStation Move, PlayStation Move motion controller combines advanced motion
sensors, a dynamic color changing sphere, vibration feedback, and an easy to use button interface. Equipped
with three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer and terrestrial magnetic field sensor, PlayStation Move
motion controller tracks the precise movements and the angle of the controller. The PS3 system also detects
the absolute position of the controller in 3D space by using PlayStation Eye camera. Highly sensitive
movement tracking can be accurately traced back to the game, allowing intuitive gameplay as if the player
is within the game.

KEY FEATURES:
o Works with PlayStation Eye camera to accurately track player position
o Includes action buttons of DUALSHOCK®3 and SIXAXIS® wireless controller for direct
input
o Sleek and Wireless
o Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
o Advanced motion sensors in the controller precisely track both fast and subtle movements
o Color of the sphere's light provides visual feedback during gameplay
o Vibration feedback is felt during specific actions
o Bluetooth® technology supports wireless gaming
o Simultaneously use up to four motion controllers with a PS3 system
o Charge the controller and automatically pair it with the PS3 system via a USB cable (Type
A - Mini-B)

PLAYSTATION®MOVE SUB-CONTROLLER

PlayStation Move sub controller is a supplementary controller, developed to further expand the experience
that PlayStation Move games can offer. It can be used in most PlayStation Move games that require
navigating an in-game character as it replicates the control features of the left side of DUALSHOCK 3 and
SIXAXIS wireless controller into one’s PlayStation Move experience. PlayStation Move sub controller
adds an analog stick, directional buttons and two face buttons into the PlayStation Move's control scheme.
In addition, the sub-controller contains the L1 button, L2 button and L3 button for actions and commands
common in advanced gaming.

KEY FEAURES:
o Wireless control completely untethered from PlayStation Move motion controller
o Intuitive navigation of in-game characters
o Easy and intuitive XMB™ menu navigation
o Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
o Charge the controller and automatically pair it with the PS3 system via a USB cable (Type
A - Mini-B)
o Sleek curved body design that easily pairs with the motion controller

Note: DUALSHOCK 3 and SIXAXIS wireless controller can be used in place of the sub controller for all games
that are compatible with the sub controller

PLAYSTATION®EYE CAMERA

As an integral part of PlayStation Move, PlayStation Eye camera is designed specifically to work with the
next generation of PlayStation Move gaming titles being developed for the PS3 system. When used with
PlayStation Move motion controller, PlayStation Eye camera precisely tracks a user’s movement and the
motion controller’s sphere to help bring every move into the game. In addition, PlayStation Eye camera
captures a player’s voice or image and when combined together with PlayStation Move games, will bring a
whole new entertainment experience to user only possible on the PlayStation® platform.

KEY FEAURES:
o Engineered to perform in low-light conditions so that the rooms do not have to be lit
brightly for the camera to deliver crisp, perfectly exposed video
o Two position zoom lens for close-up and full body options
o At 60 frames per second, captures a sharp, clear picture at 640 x 480 resolutions
o Frame rate of up to 120 frames per second for improved tracking, responsiveness and
smoothness
o A sophisticated microphone with the ability to reduce background noise and focus on
spoken word for smoother, more accurate speech recognition

PRICING AND AVAILABLILITY:
Available in North America fall 2010. Pricing to be announced.

Massa

The controller and camera for under $100? How much does it add up to when you add the second Move and the "sub-controller" (ffs, what a name)? I wonder how close they'll get to $199, which gets you a Wii with everything out of the box.

Games looked mostly derivative and boring. Adding motion controller to games like SOCOM, Killzone and Resistance has the potential to ruin their online modes.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So how much profit is Sony making of these periphials? Nintendo-like? That's probably a big aim for them

Garjon

Judging by this conference, Sony have a lot of work to do. That motion boxing game looks atrocious.
I'm disappointed they didn't show more of SOCOM 4 either; Sony could've distanced themselves from the Wii and NATAL by appealing to their current fanbase, but instead they seem intent on capturing every single person in the known universe.

Also, SamBishop...... :(

pulga

Banned
Do they need Nintendo too to come up with different symbols (talking 'bout the second set of X-O) for their nunchuck?

Massa

Teetris said:
So how much profit is Sony making of these periphials? Nintendo-like? That's probably a big aim for them

Judging by what they spent on R&D and what they'll spend on marketing I'd say they're bound to lose a lot of money on this thing.

Nessus

Not a fan of the button naming conventions Sony's introduced.

"Push the X button."

"WHICH ONE?!"

"Push the... /|_ button."

Is it just me, or are the PR pictures practically identical to the PR pictures for the "Revolution" controller released in 2005 or 2006? I wonder if they used the same hand model for authenticity. also, why are there buttons with the same geometric shapes? Couldn't they have added a trapezoid button or something?

Lonely1 said:
Does the nunchuck has any motion sensing at all?

-No off-hand gyro: The Wii Nunchuk has a sensor that detects motion, more crudely than does the Remote. The PS3's version of the Nunchuk, does not have a motion sensor, according to a developer I was speaking to. There's a chance that is not final, but that is the case with the controllers at Sony's showcase event today. But that's why two-handed boxing-style games were shown with two Moves. On the Wii, those kinds of games are handled, with supposedly less precision, with a Remote and Nunchuk.

http://kotaku.com/5490574/how-the-playstation-move-is-not-a-wii-remote

Zen

Banned
Animator said:
No but they have come up with a worse name. Playstation Move Subcontroller

That seriously sounds like the name the designers would give it before a WIP name could be decided on.

The Playstation Move Subcontroller? Seriously :lol

Although it's not the easiest thing to name, I guess.

Garjon

Actually, I've been thinking that it might be better if Sony dropped the word Playstation from this:
1. The phrase 'Move' sounds a lot more snappy and consumer friendly than 'Playstation Move' (I still don't like either though)
2. The 'Playstation' brand is heavily associated with the hardcore gamer and so it may be very difficult to entice their target market with this name attached.
3. This gen has already proved that brand loyalty is a fickle thing.

There are counterpoints though:
1. The obvious being that people may get confused and think that the Move and PS3 are completely separate devices.
2. If Sony decides to fall back on their current fanbase, having Playstation in the name could prove essential.

All this aside, I still think the name 'Move' doesn't sound right. What do you guys think?

Top Bottom