• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

DMeisterJ

Banned
Raist said:
Phil Harrison.

SURPRISE

mc9dlu.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Man said:
Sony has been spamming on Twitter today about the live conference. Sixth time or so now. They don't want us to miss this.

Make it 8th. Just got a couple of reminders :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Blablurn said:
seems like sony is promoting the shit out of this event. even the fucking german playstation blog announced it.

i'm ready.

Not the Italian one. Disappointed.

Blablurn

spwolf said:
too big ;-).

you guys dont get too crazy with ideas, would not want anyone to be disappointed ;-)

thank god i stopped having big expectations for conferences some years ago.

still looking forward to this one. i hope they have a real killer app.

Razor210

So, anyone going to make a thread closer to showtime to direct all conversations to? Better than having two separate discussions in the GDC and this thread.

volmer

gofreak said:
The wiimote was built first and foremost as pointing device. Not as a motion capture device. As a motion capture device it's technically inferior even to a DS3.
What the Wii Remote was first "built as" is a pointless argument. The device clearly succeeded in the market due to its unique form factor (for a modern game controller) and clever use of acceleration data in Wii Sports. I seriously find it hard to believe that it was not built with motion tracking in mind.

Also, even the standard Wii Remote is in fact superior to the SIXAXIS as a motion capture device, since it can track up to four separate IR sources which enough for inferring both absolute position and orientation. Take a look at this video (more information here.)

gofreak said:
The motion+ introduced 'proper' motion tracking for limited periods of time.

The Sony motion controller is built with motion tracking in mind. You can get 'proper' motion tracking without the time constraints and reset-restrictions of the M+.
As I see it, the MotionPlus is a derivative work of the standard Wii Remote, and the Sony motion controller is a derivative work of the Wii Remote in combination with MotionPlus. The new thing the Sony motion controller brings to the table is the light emitter and the camera. In combination, these additions allow for absolute position tracking even under difficult lighting conditions.

This is fairly trivial stuff, and actually you can do exactly the same type of tracking if you just add a light to the Wii Remote + MotionPlus and use a high-speed webcam. Here are some videos as proof:

Bicycle light + colored ball + Wii Motion plus = Ps3 motion controller for windows
PSWii Software Demo

Personally I think it's very exciting that we're now starting to see derivative works in this direction, but it's also important to recognize why this is happening now (and not in five years) and give credit where credit is due. Looking forward to the Sony conference.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
volmer said:
What the Wii Remote was first "built as" is a pointless argument. The device clearly succeeded in the market due to its unique form factor (for a modern game controller) and clever use of acceleration data in Wii Sports. I seriously find it hard to believe that it was not built with motion tracking in mind.

Also, even the standard Wii Remote is in fact superior to the SIXAXIS as a motion capture device, since it can track up to four separate IR sources which enough for inferring both absolute position and orientation.

With the current sensor bar it is not. You have total ambiguity on at least one axis wrt differentiating between rotation and translation, hence you can't determine 'absolute' xy or rotation from the cam and sensor bar. (You can - and it does - calculate orientation on one axis to fill in for a gap in accelerometer coverage, but that's it) That distinction is irrelevant for pointing, but is very relevant for motion tracking. If it could do that, M+ would be entirely unnecessary. I think it is very fair to say that with the original wiimote, Nintendo was very focussed on pointing. The motion tracking on the thing is pretty poor, hence why M+ was released.

Also, what you link to is exactly the project I referenced earlier, where he rearranged the IR blobs into a pattern from which orientation and position could be unambiguously determined, how he achieved 6DOF without a gyro. With Nintendo's bar, there's no way to judge orientation based on distance between blobs when changing pitch, but there is if you have a 2D array of leds instead of just 1 line of them.

And I cast absolutely no aspersions about its success or whatever. And, yes, what it was designed as initially is pointless in that regard. But it's less pointless in the argument about PSGame's assertion re. the Sony controller being a 'jack of all trades, master of none' which is what I was addressing.

(And yes, the ball stuff etc. is very simple, but it makes a big difference to the robustness of the motion track.)

Dogenzaka

Banned
HAH, so it IS called PlayStation Move

Edit: Playstation MOVE. Liked Arc better

I like Move. Arc never really made sense.

PlayStation Move gives it kind of that edgy "casual" name like Wii, but still interesting, to me.

Dogenzaka

Banned
What are you watching on ustream? >_>

Anyway.

The nunchuk looks really neat! Just as described earlier by our members.
GAF <3

Man! I can't believe how incredible this would be with 3D TVs in the future, and 4 players having a Move.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Hell yes! I saw a Survival Horror game in there!

2 important questions I have are:
-Will it work in darkness? I can play games in the dark, but I'm assuming the PS Eye, as a camera, likes light? Is that what the ball is for? So it'll work in the dark?
-Will I be able to adjust sensitivity? If I've had a long day and don't really want to jump around to play gladiator, can I adjust my sensitivity so that just a mere twitch of my wrist will swing the entire hammer, etc.?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Oh wow Move Party. It's like Natal and the old PS Eye, but a lot of precision.

I'm calling it: MoveParty is going to kick the ass of whatever the next "WiiSports/Play" game is in terms of quality.

Top Bottom