• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doubles forecast of annual loss to $6.4bn

CLEEK

Hopefully, the $6.4b is really due to the PS4 manufacturing, as each console will have 1000 x GPUs in it for 1000000 x GRAPHICS.

As for their TV division, when they talk about 4k TVs being the future, part of me always thinks that Sony are just referring to the price tag.

NavNucST3

Was the tax explanation used last FY as well? I know this is not the first time they have used this point but I don't recall when and if I'm mixing a previous Q with a previous FY.

DarkChild

Banned
People don't care about Sony TVs in our store. The ones who are "Sony boys" comes in, but as soon as I show a Samsung they're converted. Sony have no answer to Samsung design and Smart TV features.

Younger people want to use USB memory sticks too to play movies, but Sony are so damn stubborn with going against piracy. You need to register online to even get DivX to work. This while LG and Samsung (both only profitable TV companies) have MKV and all other major formats, while Sony only have DivX.

Adults want design and Smart TV features. Design-wise Sony has no answer to Samsung's thin frame. Their web browser also lack Flash support, making it more or less useless for multimedia. And their Smart TV:ish features are ridiculous. It's funny considering they have so much experience in software via PS3.

Older people dislike the menus and remotes and chose LG any day of the day week due to their simplicity. LG also have many cheaper models that are popular which brings their production prices down.
Their stubbornness lead them to completely loosing in phone business couple years ago. They gave you their flagship model at premium price, than put a kick ass camera in it and bad media player. On top of that for couple years they refused to pack 3.5mm jack in their phones so people can buy their SE headphones which are laughably bad. While Samsung gave you everything in their flagship model that you can think of.

Their stubbornness lead them to completely loosing in phone business couple years ago. They gave you their flagship model at premium price, than put a kick ass camera in it and bad media player. On top of that for couple years they refused to pack 3.5mm jack in their phones so people can buy their SE headphones which are laughably bad. While Samsung gave you everything in their flagship model that you can think of.

This, right here, is a huge problem Sony has in all its areas.
Proprietary bull shit that just turns people off completely.
It's insane.

The OP's a bit misleading in that it seems to pin the cause of the loss on the TV business.

The extra loss above and beyond their original forecast is a non-cash, non-operating loss. They had to write off tax credits in the US they previously recorded as earnings because, well, they didn't have the profits that would enable them to use those credits. Their operating and cash forecasts remain unchanged.

They would have been recorded as an asset on the balance sheet, this move takes the asset off the balance sheet, or at least most of it. If Sony become profitable in the meantime they can bring the asset back onto the balance sheet and will show a ridiculous profit at which time there will be a thread along the lines of: Sony make $15bn profit, are they price gouging customers...

Derrick01

Banned
At least 7 out of 10 Sony products are crap, so I am not surprised.

Getting ready for the last Sony game console, the PS4? After that it could be Microsoft, Nintendo and maybe Apple.

That's an extremely depressing trio. I'm preparing now for a PC only future.

Manager

Yeah, like smartphones. Totally useless for multimedia. And most tablets. Also useless for multimedia.

Tablet browsing and TV browsing are not similar. People don't really surf around much on their TVs since the browsers are slow, at least the ones I talk to. It's really hard with a TV remote. Surfing on tablets are much easier.

Have you tried surfing on a TV with a TV remote? Compared it to a tablet?

What people I've talked to want to use their TV browsers for are streaming sites, like Hulu.com. Those variants in my country doesn't work on Sony TVs due to lack of Flash support.

At least 7 out of 10 Sony products are crap, so I am not surprised.

Getting ready for the last Sony game console, the PS4? After that it could be Microsoft, Nintendo and maybe Apple.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if it were Samsung. They're an incredibly competitive company, I can see them bulldozing their way into the game space if there was an "opening".

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if it were Samsung. They're an incredibly competitive company, I can see them bulldozing their way into the game space if there was an "opening".

I would buy a Samsung console in a heart beat.
I have never had a problem with any of their devices.
Recently got a Galaxy S2. It's damn good.

CLEEK

Well, if Sony bow out of the console business and Apple step in, at least Samsung will follow to copy Apple. The Starcraftstation will be a world wide phenomenon and Sony will be soon forgotten.

I still have my 32" 1080p Bravia from 2009. The picture is still great. I use it as my monitor.

But I would not get another TV from Sony now. Everyone else just does better everything for the same price or cheaper.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I've tried my best Kaz, I have bought a telly, a PS3, a Sony head unit for my car and a mobile phone. It's not like I'll need to replace them within the next few years.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Was the tax explanation used last FY as well? I know this is not the first time they have used this point but I don't recall when and if I'm mixing a previous Q with a previous FY.

I think last year they wrote off tax credits in Japan.

AngryMoth

I'm sure this cant be right but I feel like I've read about sony posting enormous losses for the last 6 years. They must had some success otherwise they wouldnt be still in business, right? Hopefully Kaz can turn it around for them

I'm sure this cant be right but I feel like I've read about sony posting enormous losses for the last 6 years. They must had some success otherwise they wouldnt be still in business, right? Hopefully Kaz can turn it around for them

Four years straight of posting annual losses.
They are still running because they still get people to invest in them.
Basically, "too big to fail." Though, that philosophy only last so long...

Effect

No shows of stopping? Didnt they plan on cutting jobs yesterday?

That's putting a bandaid on a severed arm though. Completely pointless and it doesn't address the problems they having at all. It's not like they couldn't have address this earlier either.

I do think this, as some have suggested, might tell us how they'll be tackling the PS4 with them losing so much money.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda sad, actually. I remember back when LCDs were first coming into vogue, and Sony's XBR line was like... the TV to get if you wanted quality.

This, right here, is a huge problem Sony has in all its areas.
Proprietary bull shit that just turns people off completely.
It's insane.
Yup that's one of the reasons i did buy a psp and a psv.I wonder how much money the mermory stick makes for them to continue using it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tablet browsing and TV browsing are not similar. People don't really surf around much on their TVs since the browsers are slow, at least the ones I talk to. It's really hard with a TV remote. Surfing on tablets are much easier.

Have you tried surfing on a TV with a TV remote? Compared it to a tablet?

What people I've talked to want to use their TV browsers for are streaming sites, like Hulu.com. Those variants in my country doesn't work on Sony TVs due to lack of Flash support.

I'm sure Sony's smart TV stuff is terrible, but not because of lack of Flash. I think the application paradigm makes much more sense for a set-top box than the random web browsing paradigm. If they have or don't have app support, I don't know. My only experience with set-top boxes is the Apple TV, which works great provided you're trying to do something it does.

Flash is a dead-end at this point.

I just wondered whether the Vita business is losing money or whether it isn't ;)

Should get an indication in the next earnings call. In the last one (post-Japan launch, pre-WW launch) the CFO stated that the game business was still profitable.
What happened to Sony's TV section? I remember back when a Trinitron was the TV to have. It really boggles my mind
Flat-panel TVs in general have become commoditized - this isn't a situation affecting only Sony, but all TV makers really.

Culex

Banned
What happened to Sony's TV section? I remember back when a Trinitron was the TV to have. It really boggles my mind

Cygnus X-1

They've completely missed the transition to the LCD or Plasma like they missed the transition from CD to data for music devices. They've tried to catch up, but quality-wise there is still lot to do.

Even Philips dropped out from TV business. I think Sony is not too far away to do so, but for them it would be a sort of nightmare since their electronic section is much, much bigger than within Philips.

DarkChild

Banned
They've completely missed the transition to the LCD or Plasma like they missed the transition from CD to data for music devices. They've tried to catch up, but quality-wise there is still lot to do.

Even Philips dropped out from TV business. I think Sony is not too far away to do so, but for them it would be a sort of nightmare since their electronic section is much, much bigger than within Philips.
Philips dropped out? Damn! They had great LCDs, dunno what happened...

big_z

good bye high end tech ps4

wasnt there news yesterday saying the system is close to this gen in power? going by the orbis name im guessing they're trying to pull a nintendo. shitty hardware packed in with a move controller and back compatible with ps3 controllers.

I think last year they wrote off tax credits in Japan.

Next year they have predicted a profit of $2.2bn so it will be interesting to see if they re-establish a higher valuation of their tax credits in Japan. If Kaz is serious about cutting out unprofitable lines then the company should become profitable enough to bring them back onto the balance sheet...

Cornbread78

Ouch, I really hope they can figure this out and turn it around. Sony has always been one of my favorite and most trusted consumer electronics companies. They make great products, they just have to price it more appropriately and market better in the US.

"You can do it" Kaz!

They were outdone by their "get-more-bang-for-your-buck" South Korean counterparts like LG and Samsung... probably.

But I wonder how Sony Computer Entertainment division fares in all this? The PSVita hasn't exactly set the world on fire yet, but has it been a failure?

Is any TV manufacture doing good today.

I think Samsung has taken most of the global market. They've got the low-end, mid-range and high-end well covered in their range and always seem to be one step ahead, whether it's 3D, Smart functionality, or bezel-less TVs. They're even starting to show Panasonic strong competition in the plasma market now too.

People don't care about Sony TVs in our store. The ones who are "Sony boys" comes in, but as soon as I show a Samsung they're converted. Sony have no answer to Samsung design and Smart TV features.

Younger people want to use USB memory sticks too to play movies, but Sony are so damn stubborn with going against piracy. You need to register online to even get DivX to work. This while LG and Samsung (both only profitable TV companies) have MKV and all other major formats, while Sony only have DivX.

Adults want design and Smart TV features. Design-wise Sony has no answer to Samsung's thin frame. Smart TV-wise, their web browser lack Flash support, making it more or less useless for multimedia (edit: Clarification: Streaming). And their other Smart TV:ish features are ridiculous. It's funny considering they have so much experience in software via PS3.

Older people dislike the menus and remotes and chose LG any day of the day week due to their simplicity. LG also have many cheaper models that are popular which brings their production and components prices down.

The only people who come in my store who downright ask for Sony are either foreign people, where obviously advertisement (India, South America) is predominately Sony, or elderly people, who remember when Sony used to be on top of their television game. And even still, once I show them a Samsung, they're converted.

We just got some 2012 Sony models that we put up and I haven't sold a single one. Everyone keeps asking for the new Samsungs that you can talk to. Besides, most TVs contain Samsung parts when you open them up, anyway.

popeutlal

These annual losses aren't surprising. Every product that Sony has on the market, the competition has them beat in quality and prices. No reason to buy a Sony product unless you just want a Sony branded device.

Top Bottom