• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doubles forecast of annual loss to $6.4bn

BibiMaghoo

I would imagine that making 10,000 people redundant is a large factor in this. Even if the redundancy payment is only 10k, that's still a hundred, million dollars. Laying that many people off is extremely expensive.

I would imagine that making 10,000 people redundant is a large factor in this. Even if the redundancy payment is only 10k, that's still a hundred, million dollars. Laying that many people off is extremely expensive.

Will go towards next fiscal year which makes me wonder how big the actual net profit will be next year when all of the one time costs are factored into their projected operating income.

Manager

I'm sure Sony's smart TV stuff is terrible, but not because of lack of Flash. I think the application paradigm makes much more sense for a set-top box than the random web browsing paradigm. If they have or don't have app support, I don't know. My only experience with set-top boxes is the Apple TV, which works great provided you're trying to do something it does.

Flash is a dead-end at this point.

Yet, their lack of it makes mainstream people can't use their TV for streaming on the most popular sites. In Sweden streaming is incredibly popular and all major channels have their own high-quality streaming site, uploading new shows and movies every week. But, they mostly use Flash or Silverlight.

It's important to separate the browser and Apps. Netflix and similar big companies obviously have the economical strength to do apps for a lot of platforms, but many others don't. Specially the ones here in Europe that only cover one small country, that doesn't have 300 million inhabitants like the US. They can afford programming a Internet streaming site (potential customers: all PC owners), but programming an App for a small platform like Sony TV? No.

So, since Sony have more or less no App support (Youtube, Skype, Eurosport and a couple others but nothing major), people are forced to use the browser to visit the streaming sites. Since they all use Flash, Sony TV owners are fucked.

Samsung, on the other hand, both has a huge App marketplace AND Flash support. A couple TV companies (I think Philips, LG and Panasonic?) are teaming up for a shared app platform á la Android phone OS. Sony, on the other hand, are continuing on their own.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Apple has taken their mantle as the go to brand for high end consumer electronics. MP3 Players, Laptops, Cell Phones.

Microsoft has split the high end console market and edged them out in a market that makes up nearly 30% of the entire industry.

Samsung, LG, Panasonic and Vizio own the TV market from top to bottom.

Noone buys DVD or Blu-Ray players anymore.

Their systems in a box audio systems are decent, but so are 100 others.

Sony's marketing is also just plain terrible. Their shtick has been to market their products as something desirable because it's "so far over your head" that their ads make no sense at all anymore. That shit might have been impressive in the 90's but it doesn't work anymore. We live in an age of >1080p tablets, 4G and instant access internet 24/7.

They're so far behind with their product lines that I don't see how they could make any kind of comeback in the next 10 years. They'd probably be better off focusing solely on the Playstation brand, or being bought out by someone who knows what they're doing.

Ouch, I really hope they can figure this out and turn it around. Sony has always been one of my favorite and most trusted consumer electronics companies. They make great products, they just have to price it more appropriately and market better in the US.

"You can do it" Kaz!

I still wonder where all Sony's ad money goes. Psv was supposed to be their biggest ever but I only ever saw the one commercial meanwhile Ms has a one ad every 5 minutes.

Will go towards next fiscal year which makes me wonder how big the actual net profit will be next year when all of the one time costs are factored into their projected operating income.

Sony haven't outlined what, if any, restructuring charges they are going to take yet, I expect we will find out on Thursday.

If Kaz doesn't exit LCD TVs entirely then Sony are done IMO. He needs to come out and say that LCD TVs are dead and that they are now going with high margin TVs with super quality and tech. CLED looks like a decent idea that negates OLED manufacturing issues while maintaining the quality. They could charge whatever they want for it given the quality jump from LCD and the possibility of 4k and 8k.

It's interesting because I think the PS4 needs to be a big hit and be pretty profitable. The question is can they achieve that with a conservative design or do they need to go high end? There are valid reasons for both answers to that question and it depends on who is answering that question for Sony. The reality is no one knows how the market will react so either way they're gambling (all three companies are really taking a gamble imo)

This is actually pretty easy to answer. Before the PS3 their prior two console designs were some of the weaker of their generation. The PSX in particular was made with pretty simplistic parts. The most advanced part of it being the CD drive.

nasos_333

It's interesting because I think the PS4 needs to be a big hit and be pretty profitable. The question is can they achieve that with a conservative design or do they need to go high end? There are valid reasons for both answers to that question and it depends on who is answering that question for Sony. The reality is no one knows how the market will react so either way they're gambling (all three companies are really taking a gamble imo)

Indeed, it is a gamble either way, but with a concervative approach at least wont loose as much if it goes wrong

Kaz-Hirai-Ridge-Racer.jpg

Go KAZ!!!

Cygnus X-1

Philips dropped out? Damn! They had great LCDs, dunno what happened...

They said that the division had deep losses and for too much time. They will concentrate on Healthcare, Consumer Lifestyle and Lightning. The latter not having investments in LG.

Actually, Philips is still investing in TV, but through the Hong-Kong's based TPV, one of the largest asian emerging TV makers.

TV LCD are dominated nowadays by Samsung and LG overall. Chinese are rising in importance though.

Actually, let me add that Sony has the largest non-corean market share with 9.4% and that's probably the reason they're not dropping out for now.

Manager

Apple has taken their mantle as the go to brand for high end consumer electronics. MP3 Players, Laptops, Cell Phones.

Microsoft has split the high end console market and edged them out in a market that makes up nearly 30% of the entire industry.

Samsung, LG, Panasonic and Vizio own the TV market from top to bottom.

Noone buys DVD or Blu-Ray players anymore.

Their systems in a box audio systems are decent, but so are 100 others.

Sony's marketing is also just plain terrible. Their shtick has been to market their products as something desirable because it's "so far over your head" that their ads make no sense at all anymore. That shit might have been impressive in the 90's but it doesn't work anymore. We live in an age of >1080p tablets, 4G and instant access internet 24/7.

They're so far behind with their product lines that I don't see how they could make any kind of comeback in the next 10 years. They'd probably be better off focusing solely on the Playstation brand, or being bought out by someone who knows what they're doing.

A huge amount of Bluray players are sold. Problem, just like with TVs, is that Sony have nothing in their Bluray players that the competitors don't. They're also more expensive.

They might've been expecting that people would buy the PS3 instead of a player. Instead, LG and Samsung's €60 editions sells more than ever.

Triple U

Banned
It's a balance sheet loss because of a loss of tax credits due to questionable profitability in the short to medium term.

The $3.2bn charge will not affect Sony's cash balance, they will end this financial year with around $10bn in the bank.

On Thursday at 3pm Japan time (2am New York) Kaz will outline his plan for the coming year and his long term vision for Sony as a company and where he sees them years from now. He will need to outline how he intends to make "One Sony" out of the 20 or so separate divisions they have right now

Thanks for clearing that up. Darkchild should put this in the OP for clarity, but then that wouldn't be any fun.

ReyBrujo

Damn! Sony is not doing well...

Reports say the company is planning 10,000 job cuts as Sony exits businesses that are not profitable or central to the firm's strategy.
Sony going third party. Oh, wait...

I was reading the other day some statistics in a local newspaper: for the first time in history people streamed (legally) more movies and series than bought copies in DVD/BR. While I wouldn't download a 50gb BR movie via streaming, the mass consumer doesn't mind a 480p/720p compressed content streamed. I wonder if Sony will acknowledge that or try to continue pushing BR.

Sony isn't going anywhere. I doubt Sony Gaming is going anywhere either. However Sony is at a cross roads. They will either have to be a content provider or a hardware manufacturer. Sony can't be both except on a platform it owns such as the playstation. Sony really should get out of manufacturing

Busty

Banned
Sony isn't going anywhere. I doubt Sony Gaming is going anywhere either. However Sony is at a cross roads. They will either have to be a content provider or a hardware manufacturer. Sony can't be both except on a platform it owns such as the playstation. Sony really should get out of manufacturing

This. But they should stay in manufacturing not leave it. Sony aren't in a position to become a global content/media player like Disney or Time Warner.

Being a Japanese company they aren't able to make inroads into the majority of markets such as the UK, USA etc because of the laws on foreign media ownership.

Sony make cash off their music division but are basically keeping their head above water with their film & TV division.

A long time considering most of their losses in the past four years have been paper losses. They actually have more cash now than they did in 2006.

I was under the impression that Sony were heavily indebted, do they have cash large reserves?

Danielsan

Kaz definitely needs to put the knife into most of their departments. Drop TVs and other departments that don't turn a profit and focus their efforts on the products that do manage to be financially worthwhile.

A long time considering most of their losses in the past four years have been paper losses. They actually have more cash now than they did in 2006.

Incredible really. However it is worth noting that the paper losses that they are taking on tax credits do represent real loss of future earning potential.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I never understood why they don't have the exclusives on games based on movies they've produced. Shit like Ghostbusters and The Amazing Spiderman. I think it would be pretty smart to have the those exclusively on their platforms.

I still have my 32" 1080p Bravia from 2009. The picture is still great. I use it as my monitor.

But I would not get another TV from Sony now. Everyone else just does better everything for the same price or cheaper.

I thought the same a couple years ago. I purchased a samsung. It made sense since the were sharing LCD tech with Sony yet somehow they were cheaper. Starting at the end of last year and all through the start of this year.... I found out the hard way about the cost cutting measures used. I am used to TV's lasting years. After owning the HDTV for about 3 years it starting giving trouble. Image blinks out and Flashing red power led. It turns out this is a common problem across many different models of that time. Something to do with the power capacitors and a lesser known issue with the main logic board. My friends purchased Sony and I thought I was getting a deal by getting what I thought was the same tech for cheaper. Their TV still works, mine doesn't, and there is a class action against samsung.

If paying a premium ensures that I will still have a working product more than 5 years from now then so be it. I purchased a sony again. I guess they paid the price for not sacrificing quality and people will only go back to them if they are burned.

Danielsan

I never understood why they don't have the exclusives on games based on movies they've produced. Shit like Ghostbusters and The Amazing Spiderman. I think it would be pretty smart to have the those exclusively on their platforms.
It's probably more profitable to sell the license to Activision for multiplatform use.

Drencrom

8 years? Just close the damn tv section and put the money in the divisions that are earning money or at least have good future outlook (i.e. put it in the gaming division).

MisterHero

I don't know how any company can be fine after cutting so many jobs, which they've already done in the last few years.

Somehow, they do it.

TheOddOne

This doesn't make sense one bit. Why risk it on one platform, while you can reap profit from 9 other sources?

Movie games tend to only apeal to a fraction of each consoles userbase, it doesnt really make much financial sense to have them as exclusive

Top Bottom