• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony looking to make films of R&C, J&D, Sly Cooper and more [Update: Sony cover-up?]

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Daxter's wisecracks are as good as any sidekick character dialog in hollywood movies... Jak was a horrid lifeless character, but Daxter was great.

DanielJr82

There's a Heavenly Sword movie in the works? Very nice. I always thought Heavenly Sword would make a better movie than game, same for Uncharted.

Toppot

The Film Financial Services site has now removed all Sony films, including the Heavenly Sword one that we know is real and almost complete
http://www.filmfinancialservices.com/our-films.xml

Original page still available on Google cache
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...J:www.filmfinancialservices.com/our-films.xml

And I still have a screenshot
http://i.imgur.com/oXW7D.png

Looks like someone is trying to coverup/hide things from us... looking at you Sony!

EDIT: Images are still up on their server, just the page that has been changed
http://www.filmfinancialservices.com/images/RatchetandClank.jpg

The Film Financial Services site has now removed all Sony films, including the Heavenly Sword one that we know is real and almost complete

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Looks like someone is trying to coverup/hide things from us... looking at you Sony!

Oh man.........shit could be getting real.

Acrylic7

no, to all of it/
I love these franchises (especially R&C and Jak) but I don't need this. Nobody asked for it nor needs it.

please Sony, just focus on more games before you go bankrupt.

Takao

Banned

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...J:www.filmfinancialservices.com/our-films.xml

EDIT: Images are still up on their server, just the page that has been changed
http://www.filmfinancialservices.com/images/RatchetandClank.jpg

Dun Dun Dun

Toppot

Oh man.........shit could be getting real.

It is real, they're hidding it now. I'm sure they will use that Nariko is in PSABR to promote the film and vis versa.

I'm supervised Kotaku or someone hasn't picked up on this story yet, I'd love to hear what Sony had to say. Though I'm sure all they would say is 'No comment' or 'We are always looking to expand our brands yadda yadda'

no, to all of it/
I love these franchises (especially R&C and Jak) but I don't need this. Nobody asked for it nor needs it.

please Sony, just focus on more games before you go bankrupt.

I seriously don't understand these kind of comments. Even overlooking that Sony aren't even making these movies, you've heard of Sony Pictures, right? Guess what? They make movies.

Acrylic7

I seriously don't understand these kind of comments. Even overlooking that Sony aren't even making these movies, you've heard of Sony Pictures, right? Guess what? They make movies.

HAhahahaha. Oh Arceus, that was a good laugh.
So you want bad- almost average movies to be made of out beloved franchises?

The only way for this to actually work is by them being done by Pixar or someone close to them in terms of quality. and why would Pixar or anyone else agree to do this? They are already rolling in cash and have no need for something that might work, and could go horrible wrong.

Takao

Banned

The only way for this to actually work is by them being done by Pixar or someone close to them in terms of quality. and why would Pixar or anyone else agree to do this? They are already rolling in cash and have no need for something that might work, and could go horrible wrong.

You're not really insinuating that Sony Pictures is incapable of making a good movie, right?

Yeah because Sony Pictures have never made a single good movie and Pixar are the only animation studio that've produced good movies. This is a joke, right?

The cutscenes in Heavenly Sword are hilarious. And while I love R&C, I could see how someone could find the gameplay getting long in the tooth. Same with Sly Cooper, judging from how people have lamented the addition of other characters beyond Sly.

I've never seen anyone have problems with the cutscenes/vibe/the characters themselves of these games though. I'd actually enjoy seeing some adventures from these IPs without having to build a game around them. Could give the series breathers until their next game.

Acrylic7

You're not really insinuating that Sony Pictures is incapable of making a good movie, right?

.... kinda :eek:
I don't have faith in their Movie/Animation department to make a Good Ratchet or Jak movie.

Yeah because Sony Pictures have never made a single good movie and Pixar are the only animation studio that've produced good movies. This is a joke, right?

well who would you trust your top Video Game franchises with? Someone who isn't Pixar or at their level?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
.... kinda :eek:
I don't have faith in their Movie/Animation department to make a Good Ratchet or Jak movie.

well who would you trust your top Video Game franchises with? Someone who isn't Pixar or at their level?

Sony Pictures Animation made Monster House,Open Season,Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Arthur Christmas.

it's a very good studio and can handle Ratchet and other.

Takao

Banned
To be honest, I wouldn't want a Jak movie. The games are a lot more serious in nature (as the series progressed) than Ratchet, with Jak kind of being a dull lead.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Im surprised Sony never used their movie arm to make shows/films based on their games.

They'd rather let others make games based on their IPs, like letting Atari make that multiplat Ghostbusters game a few years ago. To add insult to injury the PS3 version was also the worst of the three HD versions.

Sony just fucking sucks at utilizing their own IPs.

Takao

Banned
They'd rather let others make games based on their IPs, like letting Atari make that multiplat Ghostbusters game a few years ago. To add insult to injury the PS3 version was also the worst of the three HD versions.

Sony just fucking sucks at utilizing their own IPs.

Atari actually got that from when Sierra merged with Activision. SCE published it in Europe though, lol.

I don't really mind the movie based games being on a variety of platforms, simply because Sony's aren't the defacto ones the public owns right now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
To be honest, I wouldn't want a Jak movie. The games are a lot more serious in nature (as the series progressed) than Ratchet, with Jak kind of being a dull lead.

well movies of games usually change the games origin stories or at least don't follow the entire story, so I think they can take Jak 1 story and remove some of the serious notes from it.

Combichristoffersen

Atari actually got that from when Sierra merged with Activision. SCE actually published it in Europe though, lol.

Sony still fucking sucks at utilizing their own IPs :p

Sony owns the Men in Black IP too IIRC, via their ownership of Columbia. And hey, whaddayaknow, Activision made a multiplat MiB III tie-in game. Fucking Sony.

Acrylic7

Sony Pictures Animation made Monster House,Open Season,Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Arthur Christmas.

it's a very good studio and can handle Ratchet and other.

Monster House was eh. I liked it but not something I'm going to see in theaters or pay for.
Open Season was fun, but eh. which is why its 2 sequels are straight to DVD
I liked Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs. Fun movie.
I don't know what Arthur Christmas is

Why would the animation studio matter? The script and director are far more important.
yeah, pretty sure its a team effort.

would those titles even be popular with the audience?

Anything that started on the the ps2 like Ratchet and Jak, heck no.
maybe Uncharted. I can see that being a movie just to rake in cash. It can backfire though, which is something they probably don't want to risk.
Only think I can actually see myself paying to see in theaters is God Of War. That could be awesome.

Takao

Banned

Sony owns the Men in Black IP too IIRC, via their ownership of Columbia. And hey, whaddayaknow, Activision made a multiplat MiB III tie-in game. Fucking Sony.

Licensed games have not done as well as they used to this gen. Sentencing them to be exclusive to Sony hardware likely would mean Sony Pictures is SOLed on licensing money since I doubt any third party would be happy to accept that deal. Though, at the very least Sony Pictures based games should launch on all Sony hardware. The latest Spider-Man, and MIB games didn't launch on Vita, and Hotel Transylvania won't launch on any Sony hardware.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

That because Sony Pictures operate separately and independently from SCE.

Sony Pictures have deals with Ubi and Activision on games, and honestly I don't want to see SCE studio wasting their time on MIB or other movie stuff that should be multiplat anyway.

Monster House was eh. I liked it but not something I'm going to see in theaters or pay for.

Was pretty cool,will be on blu-ray in November

a8lccf.gif

Combichristoffersen

Licensed games have not done as well as they used to this gen. Sentencing them to be exclusive to Sony hardware likely would mean Sony Pictures is SOLed on licensing money since I doubt any third party would be happy to accept that deal. Though, at the very least Sony Pictures based games should launch on all Sony hardware. The latest Spider-Man, and MIB games didn't launch on Vita, and Hotel Transylvania won't launch on any Sony hardware.

That because Sony Pictures operate separately and independently from SCE.

Sony Pictures have deals with Ubi and Activision on games, and honestly I don't want to see SCE studio wasting their time on MIB or other movie stuff that should be multiplat anyway.

What I'm getting at is that they shouldn't be whoring out their well-known IPs to third parties, but make the games in-house, maybe as smaller projects, and release them exclusively on their own platforms (Spiderman would be the odd one out since Sony only owns the movie rights IIRC, not the video game rights) rather than waste money on dross like Resistance (but that series is basically dead now anyway). Sony is just far too splintered for its own good, with the right hand not knowing what the left is doing, and the brain not knowing what neither hands nor feet are doing. Sometimes I genuinely wonder if the PS1 and PS2 were succesful despite Sony or because of Sony.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Anything that started on the the ps2 like Ratchet and Jak, heck no.
maybe Uncharted. I can see that being a movie just to rake in cash. It can backfire though, which is something they probably don't want to risk.
Only think I can actually see myself paying to see in theaters is God Of War. That could be awesome.

haha, mate, mine was a rhetoric question . Those titles will be best suited to the straight to dvd market. Releasing them in theater would be a tragic error

and Arthur Christmas is really, really good. It's made by the Aardman guys, the ones behing Shaun the Sheep and Wallace & Gromit. Get it along with Pirates! :)

Takao

Banned
What I'm getting at is that they shouldn't be whoring out their well-known IPs to third parties, but make the games in-house, maybe as smaller projects, and release them exclusively on their own platforms (Spiderman would be the odd one out since Sony only owns the movie rights IIRC, not the video game rights) rather than waste money on dross like Resistance (but that series is basically dead now anyway). Sony is just far too splintered for its own good, with the right hand not knowing what the left is doing, and the brain not knowing what neither hands nor feet are doing. Sometimes I genuinely wonder if the PS1 and PS2 were succesful despite Sony or because of Sony.

Sony doesn't have the market share to do licensed games only on their platforms and make it work. The market for them has simply collapsed to the point where you need a big userbase to support them. That's besides the fact that I suspect no SCE owned studio would want to make games that have to launch alongside a movie. It's a tact that just doesn't instill quality.

I will agree that the company often doesn't let the right hand to the left. For example, Crackle (an online portal for films and TV shows produced by Sony Pictures) had a fully dedicated app on iOS, Android, and even Xbox 360. The only way to use Crackle on PS3 is through Home ... It has been worse though, Sony Pictures used to actively develop and publish games themselves. It seems once SOE was transfered to SCE they stopped that.

Combichristoffersen

Sony doesn't have the market share to do licensed games only on their platforms and make it work. The market for them has simply collapsed to the point where you need a big userbase to support them. That's besides the fact that I suspect no SCE owned studio would want to make games that have to launch alongside a movie. It's a tact that just doesn't instill quality.

I will agree that the company often doesn't let the right hand to the left. For example, Crackle (an online portal for films and TV shows produced by Sony Pictures) had a fully dedicated app on iOS, Android, and even Xbox 360. The only way to use Crackle on PS3 is through Home ... It has been worse though, Sony Pictures used to actively develop and publish games themselves. It seems once SOE was transfered to SCE they stopped that.

If Sony were willing to actually spend money on making games on their well-known IPs like Ghostbusters, I see no reason why they couldn't end up with a quality game. It wouldn't even have to release alongside a movie since Ghostbusters 3 is stranded in development Hell anyway. Use their well-known IPs to sell their consoles. Want to play Ghostbusters? Get a PS3/Vita.

As for Crackle, I think you can actually access the service via the PS3 browser by opening the Crackle website. Never tried it myself though, because it most likely wouldn't work in Europe anyway, since Sony doesn't give a shit about adding services for Europe.

Takao

Banned
If Sony were willing to actually spend money on making games on their well-known IPs like Ghostbusters, I see no reason why they couldn't end up with a quality game. It wouldn't even have to release alongside a movie since Ghostbusters 3 is stranded in development Hell anyway. Use their well-known IPs to sell their consoles. Want to play Ghostbusters? Get a PS3/Vita.

As for Crackle, I think you can actually access the service via the PS3 browser by opening the Crackle website. Never tried it myself though, because it most likely wouldn't work in Europe anyway, since Sony doesn't give a shit about adding services for Europe.

I'm unconvinced that someone would buy a PS3/Vita for a Ghostbusters game. I just don't see it worth SCE, nor Sony Pictures' time.

And yeah, Crackle's only available in North America, Australia, and the UK.

Combichristoffersen

I'm unconvinced that someone would buy a PS3/Vita for a Ghostbusters game. I just don't see it worth SCE, nor Sony Pictures' time.

And yeah, Crackle's only available in North America, Australia, and the UK.

I'd buy a PS3 for Ghostbusters (if I didn't already own a PS3) :(

But first I want a Ghostbusters 3. And Gremlins 3. And Lost Boys 4. Warner, why aren't you making Gremlins 3 and Lost Boys 4?

Combichristoffersen

Theres a Lost Boys 2 and 3?

Yeah, DTV sequels. There were rumours a few years ago that Warner were considering DTV sequels for Gremlins and Goonies too, but obviously nothing happened.

If that is the case, why do you want more?

Because the third one was decent and I wouldn't mind a sequel since the ending teased a fight between vampires and werewolves.

Acrylic7

When it comes to the animation quality, sure, but the actual movie itself? No. Cars 2 didn't suck because Pixar sucks (or Lasseter for that matter, it was the script).

what the fuck?
so I can hire the guys that did the writing for The Incredibles and Finding Nemo, and then hire a animation team at my community college and get a great movie out of it.
HIGHLY unlikely.
HIGHLY

The movie itself is a joint effort. Period.

Top Bottom