• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reveals new PSN store

AndyD

aka andydumi
I do like the slick black, but I wish they retained a more PlayStation feel with the blue and waves. Something to make it clear that it is PlayStation.

I think the biggest thing going forward is to make PSN a brandname. This definitely helps, but they need to distinguish themselves from MS. Hoping Sony retains the XMB for PS4.

I wonder what the non ad default back color is? Is it that dark blue gradient on the Madden shot?

btkadams

What do you want to be revamped in the download list?
everything needs to be separated. if i need to redownload my games to my ps3, i have to sift through a 1500+ download list of everything, including demos.

it should be separated into games, demos, add-ons, applications. you should also be able to search within your download list.

Sid

everything needs to be separated. if i need to redownload my games to my ps3, i have to sift through a 1500+ download list of everything, including demos.

it should be separated into games, demos, add-ons, applications. you should also be able to search within your download list.

I have 851 items listed on my download list. I have no way to sort through them without giving me a headache. :X
Yeah i want that too,it is pretty pathetic that our download list can't be sorted still,the messages can't be sorted either i believe.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
That's probably US only. I have never seen the ticker.

I've only seen them use it once in the UK, and that was to advertise the PlayStation Plus offer they had one a few weeks ago.
Otherwise I have never seen it used unless I jump on my US account.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What do you want to be revamped in the download list?

They have a long way to go. For one, sort in categories, demos, avatars, games... Second tiered filters by price, date... And also a PSN plus section/filter overall.

So that if I get a new PS3 or reformat or whatnot, and want to reinstall all of my full games bought in 2011 and 2012 I can make a filter and have half a dozen results I can easily hit download on. Rather than go back chronologically through all the free demos, games, avatars, PS1, PSN and whatnot games.

But overall, I hope with the new store they add a button shortcut for add to cart. So I dont have to go into the description of an item, hit add to cart, then see the cart, just to hit back a few times and look for something else.

I like the pics on the blog. Shows the integration between the video and game store. That's a nice first step for Sony.

BTW, the Vita store is staying the same for the time being.

Do you have a ps3?there were ads on the store before too,the people you are talking about are against ads on the XMB.

There are ads on the XMB.

I have never seen ads on the PS3 store. Unless by ads you're talking about ads for new content and games coming out or featured games? When I think of ads on XBL that people complain about I think of Old Spice ads and whatnot. I explained why I believe they are coming to PS3 new store as well, but so far nothing like that has shown up on the PSN store or XMB.

No, the ticker that you can't remove advertising stuff like Weezy's new album.

Was that for Music Unlimited? If so, that's still within the ecosystem. I will see and pay attention to that ticker once I get home.

The fact that they are grouping together all downloadable content for each game is a major improvement over the tedious store they have now.

Just fired up my PS3 and the current ads on the XMB in the US are for:

Day 1 digital
Dishourned
King of Fighters PS+
Halloween Ghost movies
Discover a rising star with her hit "Want U Back" (whoever this is)

I have never seen ads on the PS3 store. Unless by ads you're talking about ads for new content and games coming out or featured games? When I think of ads on XBL that people complain about I think of Old Spice ads and whatnot. I explained why I believe they are coming to PS3 new store as well, but so far nothing like that has shown up on the PSN store or XMB.

According to some on GAF and even in this thread, if it is something for sale it is an ad regardless of if the content is related or not.

Day 1 digital
Dishourned
King of Fighters PS+
Halloween Ghost movies

According to some on GAF and even in this thread, if it is something for sale it is an ad regardless of if the content is related or not.

Technically they are right, and if the ads you are talking about are the one in what's new section, you are technically right too. I just happen to disagree with that notion.

Regardless, I have explained in this thread why I think we'll see "coca-cola", "ford", and related ads on ps3 store like we see on xbl. Basically too much money to make.

You can disable the what's new section, you cannot disable the ticker. At least not in the US.

I'll see what the hell you're talking about once I get home.

edgefusion

Day 1 digital
Dishourned
King of Fighters PS+
Halloween Ghost movies

On the XMB they are ads, in the store they are products for sale.

About time. I thought we were stuck with PSP's UI for all of our lives. Wait, this is just the store? Anything other than that bright blue and I'm good.

untitled33s5q5z.jpg

Tratorn

It shouldn't be staying the same, you should be able to search it... at least I thought it was confirmed.

I would like to be able to group it by download type though.

Both (search and filter/sort) is confirmed, but not for day 1. They'll update that later.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Anyone reckon if this will need a new firmware update?

I would suspect so, even if it is just to remove the main store app we have now and replace it with a frame for the new store seeing as it is HTML5 now. So once we get it they shouldn't need to release firmwares to sort it out afterwards besides just improving HTML5 on the PS3 as a whole like they have had to do previously.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Paging Mr. Rigby. Mr Rigby to the PSN Store thread.

Sometimes it is nice when Jeff is right, at least he was right on the fact that they were updating HTML5 on the PS3 and in turn would be updating the store and other such apps.

Though were still waiting on the other predictions like the PS3.5, new motion camera, and a few other things for other devices that haven't appeared, lol.

Alej

Banned
Sometimes it is nice when Jeff is right, at least he was right on the fact that they were updating HTML5 on the PS3 and in turn would be updating the store and other such apps.

Though were still waiting on the other predictions like the PS3.5, new motion camera, and a few other things for other devices that haven't appeared, lol.

Stop it, he was right on everything on earth.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

it can take a while to wade through some of his posts, but he digs really hard for information from lots of interesting sources. I like his stuff too.

Lucifon

Very slick, now how about updating the 7 year old XMB UI. (I know it's too late in the generation for them to realistically want to do it). Wonder if this is an indication of the visual style they might go for with the PS4's UI.

If only we had SCEA handling the EU store, SCEE are beyond a joke.

It's an improvement. I think Sony is stuck where Google and Samsung were against the iPhone where the touchscreen + grid icons was the most logical answer at the time but were called copy cats because Apple made it popular first.

I think the large box layout, light text on images, and options/menus across the top and bottom is probably the best and most visually appealing way to layout content on a TV screen and make good use of space for the time being. You can't avoid comparisons with the Xbox now though because they'll be thought of in that Android - iPhone sort of way.

edgefusion

Very slick, now how about updating the 7 year old XMB UI. (I know it's too late in the generation for them to realistically want to do it). Wonder if this is an indication of the visual style they might go for with the PS4's UI.

If only we had SCEA handling the EU store, SCEE are beyond a joke.

SCEE haven't even acknowledged it have they?

So what's the benefit of moving to HTML 5? Speed and?

Depends on how HTML5-compliant it is. If I'm not mistaken, the Vita browser was HTML5 too but it was awful. Might still be. I'd imagine Sony's new PS3 browser would be more inline with Microsoft's 360 browser, which itself is speedy, plays embedded videos etc.

Top Bottom