• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reveals new PSN store

It is so very awfully slow and bad.

I didn't think they would manage it but they did. Initial load for me was 30 seconds and then the tile windows are always a full 5s load away. There's a couple of improvements like search but overall it is slower to find anything or buy anything.

The most surprising thing is that the two-layer tile and background effect only works 50% of the time! The other half you've gone left or right twice so the tile you have selected is partially over the wrong image. Parallel movement isn't hard! Just test it once!

Looks nicer but so far it's still that same old playstation store experience where if i'm using it for more than 3 minutes i want to smash my head against something due to the sloooooow fucking load times. Hate it.

Then I don't see a problem with the ads. Will have to try the new interface out for myself though.

The problem with them is that they're huge, so they take a while to load. And often, you have to scroll through three pages of them to get what you want (like a list of the latest content). It's a clusterfuck.

Why they don't at least cache all the banners on the system itself, so that they can be instantly loaded on second look, I've no clue.

But why are people already posting (bad) impressions? Is it rolled out country by country? Update time is usually around 17:00 in europe...

It's probably being rolled out by local date and time, and so NZ and Australia are amongst the first countries in the world to get it (being close to the international date line). Or maybe Sony just said EU gets it at 6pm on Wednesday, and forgot that AU and NZ were in their EU group and 10+ hours ahead of Europe lol.

Twinduct

Vita store is dead slow for me this morning. PS3 store won't even load atm.
Think the PSN servers are under heavy load or something

Number45

http://community.eu.playstation.com...gned-PS-Store/m-p/17261740?WT.mc_id=TSO_EN100

1. Launching the store (particularly for the first time) takes longer than usual. Perhaps since it now appears to be a seperate application (rather than part of the system software), so I'm hoping it'll get baked in once the other regions get the redesign and the next system update happens.
I wonder if this is true, and they can improve the performance with an eventual firmware update to perform some of the tasks locally?

web01

Can't you just press Triangle > Recent?

Also, what type of Advertising?

Nope.

If you select "whats new" you have to scroll across three pages of selected game advertising to get to all new content option which is on the very far right side. So they make is so you cannot avoid going past the advertisements. It is giant full screen size stuff for games like Fifa, Dishonored, new movies and so on with links to the content.

It is only a small amount of the new content featured and not everything.

If you select "games" and "whats new" you still have to scroll all the way to far right side across three pages before you can access all new games.

This is the same for all categories, you always have to scroll past the 2 - 3 pages of featured content before you can select the all latest games, all latest demos, all latest DLC option and actually and see everything not just the highlighted content.

Its nothing like the old store where you could avoid the changes advertisements that showed up on the side of the screen.

edit: actually for some categories like "games" then "all ps3 games" you wont get the advertising but you will have to manual sort through every game on the store.
But you always get if for the new categories.

Robso

So there's a search function in the download list now? Is this just for typing in game titles or could you type in say, 'avatars' if anybody knows.

waypoetic

Banned
I love it when John Koller does a features-video. He can percive you in to thinking that "this VW Golf is a supercar, you don't need that Lambo Aventador!". Like the store... It's fucking nothing.

1. Launching the store (particularly for the first time) takes longer than usual. Perhaps since it now appears to be a seperate application (rather than part of the system software), so I'm hoping it'll get baked in once the other regions get the redesign and the next system update happens.

Figured as much.

Perkel

Banned
I still don't get why they can't hdd based store. It needs only name and size of pictures to work propetly and that would work super fast.

T-0800

AUS Gaf here.

New store looks great. Takes longer to get into than before but once in it has been smooth sailing for me. I'm just annoyed I keep getting an error message when trying to buy Unfinished Swan.

So there's a search function in the download list now? Is this just for typing in game titles or could you type in say, 'avatars' if anybody knows.

but you can and always have been able to just search for a game you know you have downloaded with the normal search, and re-download it there.

filtering options based on platform, video, avatars...that would be nice. I too have over 700 downloads and can't remember what all that is and going through the whole list is slow and annoying.

web01

AUS Gaf here.

New store looks great. Takes longer to get into than before but once in it has been smooth sailing for me. I'm just annoyed I keep getting an error message when trying to buy Unfinished Swan.

Adding funds or purchasing currently does not work at all.

AUS Gaf here.

How much is Unfinished Swan in Aus? Have you tried putting that much on your account and then trying to buy it? Or are you getting the same error I am even when you do that?

Edit: Oh, so adding funds doesn't work for anyone. Good. I've been getting agitated over my card possibly not being supported anymore.

Robso

but you can and always have been able to just search for a game you know you have downloaded with the normal search, and re-download it there.

filtering options based on platform, video, avatars...that would be nice. I too have over 700 downloads and can't remember what all that is and going through the whole list is slow and annoying.

Filtering would be a dream come true. I was looking to change my avatar yesterday, and having received numerous free with Plus and not having downloaded them all, I'd have to go through my whole download list just to recall what avatars are there.

All I wanted to do was try the PSASBR beta...

- Add to cart
- View cart
- Checkout
- Confirm purchase
- Download
- Download in background

Fuck off.

All I want is a list of the new shit on the store, but now they've split it into five different categories, so I have to trawl each of them to see everything. You keep diving into new screens filled with rectangles that you forget which category you're in in the first place.

It looks nice, but is a UI disaster. I think they're hoping you catch yourself browsing through the mess and find something cool to buy, but then buying something is such a pain in the ass that you won't even bother.

Awful. Just awful.

Trailers can be downloaded in 2 steps... but free demos need 5.

Dumb
Rofl. Sony gotta make it better to download stuff. Don't really want to view my cart before downloading it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Seems to load fairly quickly here, besides that initial load before entering the store. But having to move three screens to the right to find the latest demos kinda sucks. Also, ads out the ass. I don't want to see ads for a bunch of shit I don't care about, just let me go to latest demos as soon as the store opens.

Edit: Oh, wait. I can just select games, push right on the D-pad and I'll get the latest demos. Nice. But where have they hidden the apps & services category?

Number45

Technically you can omit the download in background step too, but I don't see why you would. Pretty annoying that you have to press x that one extra time though!
They need a setting somewhere that you can set this as the default option (aside from those that don't allow background downloading, but those themes/unlocks come down in seconds anyway).

web01

Chill down people, Store is slow because everyone want to check it out. Like when a new Apple store opens.

Do not kid yourself its slower because it has to load a shit load of advertisement images.
It was only open to Aus/NZ before and it was still slow. It takes 20 - 30 seconds to get from from the application to very first home screen. This used to take 3 seconds on the old store.

They need a setting somewhere that you can set this as the default option (aside from those that don't allow background downloading, but those themes/unlocks come down in seconds anyway).

Vita store does this automatically, they should have included atleast that feature from it to this new store :p

Ardenyal

The official bluetooth chatpad thingy works for typing in search at least. Don't know about a proper keyboard but it should be the same, right?

Carl

Awesome, didn't know this would be up already. Thought it would go up with the usual update

Keyboard doesn't work for search, i don't think.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Took some comparison footage. Will upload as soon as it finishes rendering.

Loading times (from XMB to frontend - not including full items load. Just background showing up):
Old: 5 secs
New: 29 secs (35 secs if you wait to fully load)

Steps to download a demo (from item highlighted):
Old: 3
New: 7

Search times are hard to measure but overall old is faster as well (thanks also to the virtual KB having prediction feature).

Hanmik

the blogpost reads like it is "blaming" US for the new store..

You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...You told us...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Took some comparison footage. Will upload as soon as it finishes rendering.

Loading times (from XMB to frontend - not including full items load. Just background showing up):
Old: 5 secs
New: 29 secs

Steps to download a demo (from item highlighted):
Old: 3
New: 7

Search times are hard to measure but overall old is faster as well (thanks also to the virtual KB having prediction feature).

does the first time use differ from repeat usage? Wondering if its caching anything to help

Carl

So it's slow, you need to scroll across 2 pages of ads to see new content, and it takes more steps than ever to do anything.

Wonderful.

Top Bottom