• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reveals new PSN store

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
:-(

I liked the old store, they just needed to organise it a bit better, 36s to load up the new store?

And the new store is a separate client now?

They should of beta tested this, although I guess thats what they are doing now.

Edit - top of the page eeek!, I feel naked :-O

Loxley

Wow I just found out about this, the update looks great :) I've always had the impression that the design of the store was stuck in 2007.

Carl

I just did a quick comparison aswell. Using the AUS store from UK

2Qh0R.gif

Took me ages to find the content in some of them

All of the times (except start up) are taken from the main splash screen until the content appears.

Quoting for new page

Funny thing is, on the "Red Dead Redemption" search, all i had to search for was "Red" and it still took longer than the old store, lol

StuBurns

Banned
I can't believe it's slower, what the fuck. Of all the many shitty things about the PSN store, the speed is the worst, and they've actually made it worse. Stunning.

i-Lo

Here is my quick video comparison

http://youtu.be/Ht2JUdoiL_c

Covers:
- Start Up time (see picture above :p)
- # of steps to download a demo
- Searching

Generic info:

Early opinion:

Thanks for the comparison and all I can say at this point is that they have not only made it irritably slower but also needlessly more complicated (and wtf is up with the removal of on screen keyboard?).

A change for the worse.

odhiex

The interface looks nice...but a separate download client for PSStore?? sucks...

Why don't they just releasing the usual monthly firmware updates and include this? should they have beta for this first??

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I just did a quick comparison aswell. Using the AUS store from UK

2Qh0R.gif

Took me ages to find the content in some of them

All of the times (except start up) are taken from the main splash screen until the content appears.

That's awful, so could that just be a server issue then?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This thread just proves to me that some people will complain about anything at the first possible opportunity.

As for the ludicrous "benchmarking", am I the only one to have noticed significant variance due to cache-states/network conditions on the old store from time-to-time? Common sense dictates that the new store will have exactly the same issues, especially so soon after roll-out when the load will be at its highest and traffic shaping won't have been properly tweaked.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I can't believe it's slower, what the fuck. Of all the many shitty things about the PSN store, the speed is the worst, and they've actually made it worse. Stunning.

It's temporary, I bet. When we got the new store (upgraded from the HTML page of the old one), it was incredibly slow for a few days/weeks...images wouldn't load, text took forever to load, etc.

jayb

I want to punch the guy who thought adding so many extra steps to download a freaking demo was a good idea. Smh

Twinduct

LOL, was watching that video of TTP. My old store takes around 20 seconds to load (Assume it's due to my connection). Worried the new store might take an hour lol.

Just had a play.

+ Having everything on one page per game is much, much better.

- The slow start up and how sluggish it feels moving around.
- Rather than showing you all the latest content on one grid/screen, you now have to scroll around because half of it is taken up by a big dude-bro or whatever.
- The new search is about as stupidly implemented as you can get. Remember when vidzone launched and the search was fucked up? Well they have topped it again.
- I have no idea where to find the latest store update list, because there are like 3 'latest' options now and they give different content.
- No changes to download list (which personally I couldn't care less about because I would just find the content in the usual way and download it, but I know people want it for some reason?).
- Everything takes longer to do now, like downloading a demo. I shouldn't have to check that shit out.
- Playstation Plus apparently no longer exists because it is hidden away.

Overall? It'll be better when they actually finish it. All the marketing crap is here to stay no doubt, so not much point complaining about that (might as well be complaining about pricing or unreleased content....shame that isn't addressed).
One would think rather than talking to whatever bullshit focus group/marketing team they have been listening too, they would just load up steam or even the ios app-store and see how fucking easy it can be.

I presume this is just a coincidence but since updating to the new store (I'm based in Australia), I can't seem to get PSN to accept my credit card payment. I get a rather unhelpful error message.

psnerror.jpg

I've tried multiple credit cards and no luck. I just want to give Sony my money so I can get a Plus account and play Unfinished Swan :(

Any ideas?

you shouldn't have tried more than once. who knows if that's taken into account but if it did then you'd probably have to wait up to 7 days before trying. maybe more.

This thread just proves to me that some people will complain about anything at the first possible opportunity.

As for the ludicrous "benchmarking", am I the only one to have noticed significant variance due to cache-states/network conditions on the old store from time-to-time? Common sense dictates that the new store will have exactly the same issues, especially so soon after roll-out when the load will be at its highest and traffic shaping won't have been properly tweaked.

This post just proves that some people will defend anything, no matter how much worse than the status quo it is.

Perhaps it is slower right now because they just uploaded it and traffic is high? Perhaps when things settle in it will be better. Right.....right?

This post just proves that some people will defend anything, no matter how much worse than the status quo it is.

even though the store might really take a few more seconds, these benchmarks may still reflect a few network issues while the store is being deployed. i'd say we should wait a few days until comparisons are made.

Hahaha good job Sony. Let's hope they listen to feedback and fix things quickly

maybe for the next store! in 5 years! :D

some of these things seem to be easier fixes like the demo download buttons but the loading times and content grouping seems to be by choice and are there because of the design. Large .png files need to be loaded and all UI operations on the PS3 are slow so i would not expect any updates to the speed.

i-Lo

Yea that cache thing entered my mind and let's hope that's true. But requiring extra steps for download and removal of on screen keyboard are steps in wrong direction.

This makes me want to punch Lionel Messi in the face. It's like he's taunting me from the FIFA 13 cover, saying "Good luck finding three month-old DLC, sucker!"

even though the store might really take a few more seconds, these benchmarks may still reflect a few network issues while the store is being deployed. i'd say we should wait a few days until comparisons are made.

Probably it is..but it isn't a test we are accessing, it is a production system from which we are expected to buy new releases like the Unfinished Swan.

There are ways to deal with such problems properly.

Change for the sake of change IMO.

I never had a problem with the previous store. It did exactly what I wanted it to, and I never had a problem finding anything I wanted to find.

fi1ip

Perhaps it is slower right now because they just uploaded it and traffic is high? Perhaps when things settle in it will be better. Right.....right?

I hope this is the case. Just tried it, super slow for me.

Otherwise it looks much better. I can't comment on usability right now, it's just way too slow.

Stuart444

I did post on the EU blog comments about why they didn't do something similar to google with an on-screen keyboard rather than the tumbler system (just type in stuff on the on-screen keyboard (or real keyboard if you have one) and it shows the titles as you do it rather than the new scrolling letter system)

But besides that, I need to wait til it's up in the UK before I can decide what I think of it.

Even if they fixed those issues, so what? That doesn't fix the myriad of other issues plaguing this store. The sluggish and unresponsive interface, the ridiculous number of button presses to do anything, the fact that so much stuff is hidden behind different layers of the store and so on. This thing is a mess.

Just bought The Unfinished Swan, so fucking slow.

Buying stuff actually works now?! BRB... Nope. Still doesn't like my credit card and won't let me buy Unfinished Swan.

I give the new store MINUS FIVE STARS!

sajj316

As with any rollout, I wait about 2-3 days before coming to any conclusions. However the extra steps to download is asinine.

Number45

Change for the sake of change IMO.
It needed to change. Whether this is for the better or not I'll leave others to debate for now because I haven't seen it yet.

They've posted that the problem with adding funds will be resolved within the next couple of hours.

Top Bottom