• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reveals new PSN store

Carl

Fred Dutton off the EU blog,

"A nice chap from the development team just came down to my desk and drew me a very complicated diagram explaining why the speed is currently down and why it will improve in the next day or so. I can’t pretend I understood exactly what he was going on about but I do believe him! Please, bear with us while we iron out the launch day creases."

From TheSixthAxis stream

The diagram was a piece of paper with a drawing of a monkey eating a bananna

it just said "we don't know what we are doing"

Lol

PaulLFC

Why did it need to change? If you go back to the thread where they changed the store previously, people were praising it up and down for being great.

Then a few years go by and people want change, so they start complaining about how it's so outdated, and "poorly organized". These are such subjective things, but they inevitably are said about any website, user interface, or console storefront after a period of time.
Mainly because things advance and competition also moves forward at the same time. What was great a few years ago may not look so great now next to rivals that have advanced within those few years, or compared to what can be accomplished with the technology available toady.

As far as I saw there were no options on how to view your download list. It worked the same as the old store or XMB > Account Management > Transaction Management > Download List. But slower, probably.

sTeLioSco

Banned
definitely an improvement on presentation and looks.
makes the old one look very dated(which was)

the speed is very very slow.
no way is going to stay so slow,its almost unusable
so probably because they are rolling it out now....

A door with a hundred people trying to run through all at once.

lol

test_account

XP-39C²
That is my feeling exactly. I liked the old store. Sure the search could have been improved, but other than that, no complaints here.

Now we've got something that I think might be a step back in every way, and I'm not just talking about performance today. I think it looks rather drab.
I agree, but i think has more to do with being used to it.

Hanmik

sorry but I just suggested that the people running the stream closed it down and started it again.. and now they can only load the old store.. lol

Why did it need to change? If you go back to the thread where they changed the store previously, people were praising it up and down for being great.

Then a few years go by and people want change, so they start complaining about how it's so outdated, and "poorly organized". These are such subjective things, but they inevitably are said about any website, user interface, or console storefront after a period of time.

Poorly organized is not necessarily subjective.

To use an old example of the Euro store, Killzone Liberation does not show up in the list of all A-Z PSP games, but does exist on the store. None of these problems seemed to require building a new store from scratch.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It will speed up in a few days.. Right now were dealing with another glorious day.

original.gif

Carl

After using the new store, switching back to the old store really made me appreciate how fast it is and how well it works. Lol.

Shtof

And we still can't sort our download list? I can see only they included an info bar on each download if its a game, demo, upgrade and so on.

Number45

Sure it could have been improved, but those complaints are all small things that could have been tweaked with the old store.
You're assuming it was a straightforward tweak, but without knowing anything about how it all actually works who knows how easy implementing those tweaks will have been? The fact that the tiles were broken and they resolved it by creating more containers suggests that a proper fix wasn't that all that straightforward.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Did they really have to do this on the day of a store update? This is gonna be even more of a mess later on. Or the update will be extremely late. Either way I don't see this going well.
Couldn't try the new store so far, though. I think it was never up in Germany, or if it was I missed it.

meta4

I can't believe it's slower, what the fuck. Of all the many shitty things about the PSN store, the speed is the worst, and they've actually made it worse. Stunning.

Did you read the blog comments where they stated it will be slow until they complete the world wide launch? It should hopefully be okay once the rollout is complete.

deim0s

Did JP/Asia get anything too?

After using the new store, switching back to the old store really made me appreciate how fast it is and how well it works. Lol.

You've just got accustomed to the old store - Sony knows it and they'll fix it.

flowsnake

Holy crap the interface is laggy. And of course everything is slow to load. I'll use it more when they've patched it a few many times

Twinduct

So just took a spin.

Quick notes:

• Took 72 seconds to launch! (old store took between 20-30 during business hours).
  • Have yet to load one of the 'tiles' of game adverts (aka seems to be limited to lastest of each section)
  • The layout ain't bad. Hell it seems to make almost more sense than what the PAL store was before the update
  • Ignoring the 'latest' sections, everything else is really speedy.
  • FILTERS! Fuck yeah! (Can't wait for it to be ported to the download list)

Lets focus on some positives:
  • FILTERS!!!!!!!
  • Search is actually pretty decent. It has quirks, but searching for all stars and getting the results shown so fast already puts this heads above old store
  • How about no more 'lag' after you've added something to the cart? It's gone!
  • Labels in the normal list view! Loads way faster than the icon so no need to wait for the damn icons to load first.

Too bad that there is still no default background downloading.
Sadly I think the overall sluggish nature of it won't go away I think.
And where is the damn virtual keyboard! I get what they wanted to achieve with the keyboard they have (strange auto completeness), but the sluggish nature of it is sadly making it a chore.

This is a nice starting point though. Lets hope they take all the feedback and improve on the areas that's lacking it.

That and it's nice to have a competent search function
When are they planning to patch one in? I use a USB keyboard and not only is there no input buffer in the new store, but the keyboard only seems to be polled once every 6 seconds or so. I have to type one letter into the keyboard every 6 seconds; any faster and the keystroke is ignored. There are many words I would use to describe a search function like this, but competent is not one of them.

When are they planning to patch one in? I use a USB keyboard and not only is there no input buffer in the new store, but the keyboard only seems to be polled once every 6 seconds or so. I have to type one letter into the keyboard every 6 seconds; any faster and the keystroke is ignored. There are many words I would use to describe a search function like this, but competent is not one of them.

It won't let you enter another letter (controller or keyboard) until it's talked with the server and got a new list of matches. Terrible idea.

Carl

I was talking about the search function on the old store. The new one is freaking terrible, i agree.

Carl

Okay to give them credit, they've integrated PS+ pretty well.

If you're a regular member and you add something to your cart that is free or discounted with PS+ it will say "Join PS+ to save £XX" which is pretty cool.

Okay to give them credit, they've integrated PS+ pretty well.

If you're a regular member and you add something to your cart that is free or discounted with PS+ it will say "Join PS+ to save £XX" which is pretty cool.

That's very smart. I'm sure things will settle down soon with regards to speed and functionality. It's probably best not to get too agitated about performance until the weekend. This kind of thing must be difficult to roll out.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm glad that they added how much space everything takes now. For example, if i go to The Unfinished Swan now, it says that it takes 1.5GB.

jayb

I can understand first day slowness and can even overlook the stupid new input method for search, but again, the extra steps to download a demo is absolutely mind-bogglingly dumb!

tumblr_lqptqk1F6i1qhtqtjo1_500.gif

Sorry if posted already but found this reply on the ps blog.

Posted on 17 October, 2012 at 1:22 pm by Fred Dutton
I can jump in and comment on this while we’re waiting for Elliott. The speed issue will improve drastically when the region-wide roll-out is complete. These are just launch day jitters. Sorry for any inconvenience – please be patient while the creases are ironed out.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I can understand first day slowness and can even overlook the stupid new input method for search, but again, the extra steps to download a demo is absolutely mind-bogglingly dumb!

tumblr_lqptqk1F6i1qhtqtjo1_500.gif

Those are basically the "Purchase" steps (which I'm fine with, sort of) applied to free stuff like demos.

Free stuff should have a "Download" (RIGHT AWAY!) option.

jayb

Those are basically the "Purchase" steps (which I'm fine with, sort of) applied to free stuff like demos.

Free stuff should have a "Download" (RIGHT AWAY!) option.

I understand that, but the old store had a download button and they took it away. No game or app store should make you go through all the 'purchase' steps just to download something free.

Massa

So not only did Sony choose to not have a beta at all, they decided to launch the store on the day it updates, the busiest day of the week.

Brilliant, really.

jayb

So not only did Sony choose to not have a beta at all, they decided to launch the store on the day it updates, the busiest day of the week.

Brilliant, really.

They did choose to have a beta.
EU is beta testing for the NA rollout. :p

I just noticed that things that have a download button like the stuff you have purchased and themes start downloading as soon as you chose to download it. This should, like TTP said, be on all free stuff. Then it's just klick and download for free stuff and for the rest you'll have to confirm and checkout.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I understand that, but the old store had a download button and they took it away. No game or app store should make you go through all the 'purchase' steps just to download something free.

Yeah, I agree. Just saying they are missing the old download button. The current procedure is per se understandable for purchasing stuff.

I just noticed that things that have a download button like the stuff you have purchased and themes start downloading as soon as you chose to download it. This should, like TTP said, be on all free stuff. Then it's just klick and download for free stuff and for the rest you'll have to confirm and checkout.

Yep. Noticed that as well. Stuff you have downloaded (or put in the cart) show a download button when you revisit them. They only need to make it so that download button is there from the start for free stuff.

Top Bottom