• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reveals new PSN store

Probably it is..but it isn't a test we are accessing, it is a production system from which we are expected to buy new releases like the Unfinished Swan.

There are ways to deal with such problems properly.

oh, i don't disagree. but the reality is, i just tried the store, clicked on the tokyo jungle icon on the main page, and then nothing showed up. while it's up, it does seem to have a few issues.

It needed to change. Whether this is for the better or not I'll leave others to debate for now because I haven't seen it yet.

Why did it need to change? If you go back to the thread where they changed the store previously, people were praising it up and down for being great.

Then a few years go by and people want change, so they start complaining about how it's so outdated, and "poorly organized". These are such subjective things, but they inevitably are said about any website, user interface, or console storefront after a period of time.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
It needed to change. Whether this is for the better or not I'll leave others to debate for now because I haven't seen it yet.

Why did it need too change?, what was wrong with the old store?

edit

From PlaystationEU,

"@lowrider007 The speed will improve greatly over the next 24 hours or so as launch day creases are ironed out."

I hope so but still, not really a fan, it feels like I'm viewing the store through a web browing client, it's not as slick imo.

Tratorn

I just did a quick comparison aswell. Using the AUS store from UK

2Qh0R.gif

Took me ages to find the content in some of them

All of the times (except start up) are taken from the main splash screen until the content appears.

Why did you need so much time for RDR?
You just have to type "red" and its the third option.

New search-function is really great imo. :)

But damn, especially the start-loading is annoying...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I like it visually, the use of layers and motion through the larger menus, it is pretty on the eyes, just a shame about the dreadful performance which will hopefully improve.

They've posted that the problem with adding funds will be resolved within the next couple of hours.

The change was needed, and the organisation of content per game is very good.

The issue is they fucked up everything else whilst they were at it, no doubt chasing more marketing dollars.

It'll settle down, but the whole 'you asked for' bullshit is really annoying me right now.

The problem is it isn't actually that good for a lot of other examples. Try searching for 'street fighter x tekken' or something a bit more generic and see how you go. There are so many better ways to do it and Sony has been through this problem with their apps before. You watch them add a standard text search after about a month.

I should say, I already had money in my wallet, so I can't say if my card is working or not.

Ah, lucky you. Apparently they're fixing the issue now, so I guess I'll be able to buy it in a couple of hours.

It was a clusterfuck. Though that was ENTIRELY because the store managers are awful at their jobs, not because the actual UI sucked.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
LiquidSolid said:
This post just proves that some people will defend anything, no matter how much worse than the status quo it is.

Give them a week and if its still bad, its fair comment to complain. But after a few hours when its still being rolled out across some territories...?

I'm not defending Sony, I'm just tired of people overreacting at the first opportunity. Its pathetic, and in the long run damaging because real complaints end up getting shoved in the "Whiners - Ignore" pile when every helpful piece of feedback is buried in a mountain of specious complaints.

Sucks balls. Previously, the only issue I had was the organizing of stuff. Now, it takes fucking ages to load anything up. Why does it operate like launching a game?

Ardenyal

For starters there was content missing that people already had paid for. They tried to fix it by putting stuff into separate folders with max 5 items in them... How is that for intuitive?

Carl

Why did you need so much time for RDR?
You just have to type "red" and its the third option.

But damn, especially the start-loading is annoying...

I DID just type "Red", but it still took that long.

Number45

Why did it need to change?

Organisation was haphazard (finding everything related to one game wasn't as straightforward as it should have been), the recent issues with PS+ content tiles being broken (not sure if this issue was seen outside of the PS+ sections), the search functionality was incredibly basic (limited further by not having the ability to filter) and the download list was unmanageable to name just a few.

They also now have the ability to make at the back end on the fly, so they should be able to continue improving it.

I never had a problem with the store previously, but to think it couldn't have been improved?

lowrider007

It was a clusterfuck. Though that was ENTIRELY because the store managers are awful at their jobs, not because the actual UI sucked.

Exactly, the actual interface was fine, it just need a bit better organisation.

Why does it operate like launching a game?

Because it's a separate client now, my TV blacks out and re-syncs it's res every time I load it just like loading a game, not slick at all and doesn't feel well integrated.

I never had a problem with the store previously, but to think it couldn't have been improved?

I was just a big fan of the interface mainly, I have a 'thing' for nice interfaces.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Organisation was haphazard (finding everything related to one game wasn't as straightforward as it should have been), the recent issues with PS+ content tiles being broken (not sure if this issue was seen outside of the PS+ sections), the search functionality was incredibly basic (limited further by not having the ability to filter) and the download list was unmanageable to name just a few.

They also now have the ability to make at the back end on the fly, so they should be able to continue improving it.

It was. Even in non-PS+ sections you'd have those 'invisible' tiles.

Carl

Because it's a separate client now, my TV blacks out and re-syncs it's res every time I load it just like loading a game, not slick at all and doesn't feel well integrated.

Yup, so does mine. Very annoying because i get a bright blue screen for a few seconds.

Also, looks like the Store no longer works on remote play.

E: Okay, my info was wrong ;) It does work on RP, but it's still the old store.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
What the heck, my region store is even slower than the AUS one :D

Found the Vita section. Didn't get a trophy tho.

Hanmik

I´m sitting here laughing out loud.. I´m at work so can´t see the store myself.. but the livestream from sixthaxis just shows how broken it is right now.. nothing loads..

lowrider007

To get away from my negative rantings for second or two I guess being that it's a client should make it easy for Sony to update it and make more 'radical' changes easily, I guess they were stuck in the framework of the old interface and now they can be a bit more dynamic.

test_account

XP-39C²
The store using ~30 seconds to start is pretty weird.

This post just proves that some people will defend anything, no matter how much worse than the status quo it is.
I think he means more that someone are very quick on jumping with the "over-the-top" complaints. The store does have some issues, but it just launched, it isnt uncommon that things doesnt go 100% smooth at launch.

Give them a week and if its still bad, its fair comment to complain. But after a few hours when its still being rolled out across some territories...?

I'm not defending Sony, I'm just tired of people overreacting at the first opportunity. Its pathetic, and in the long run damaging because real complaints end up getting shoved in the "Whiners - Ignore" pile when every helpful piece of feedback is buried in a mountain of specious complaints.

It's been crazy slow ever since they first released it in Aus/NZ like 13-14 hours ago. And there are a number of big issues with the store that have nothing to do with Sony's servers.

Plus, there's no possible way the initial load is solely because of their servers. Pretty sure it's spending a lot of that time loading the webkit-based back-end of the store.

offshore

I see I'm a little late here, but why, oh why have they added extra steps to download? Seriously.

And even with the "it'll all speed up in the next 24hrs" claim, I doubt it'll ever be as fast as the previous version. Big regression.

It's been crazy slow ever since they first released it in Aus/NZ like 13-14 hours ago. And there are a number of big issues with the store that have nothing to do with Sony's servers.

Plus, there's no possible way the initial load is solely because of their servers. Pretty sure it's spending a lot of that time loading the webkit-based back-end of the store.
If it is then there is more loading than for the PS3 webkit2 browser; it takes just over 3 seconds to load. Not currently loading in the browser would be Video playback (player and codecs) as well as eGL and Cairo.

Old store used OpenVG and XML with I think a SOAP interface so less overhead but that should only NOTICEABLY impact the initial load times.

lowrider007

Fred Dutton off the EU blog,

"A nice chap from the development team just came down to my desk and drew me a very complicated diagram explaining why the speed is currently down and why it will improve in the next day or so. I can’t pretend I understood exactly what he was going on about but I do believe him! Please, bear with us while we iron out the launch day creases."

Foshy

"A nice chap from the development team just came down to my desk and drew me a very complicated diagram explaining why the speed is currently down and why it will improve in the next day or so. I can’t pretend I understood exactly what he was going on about but I do believe him! Please, bear with us while we iron out the launch day creases."

I'd love too see that "very complicated diagram".

MNC

Hehe. Oh well, first day kinks. The ads sound really bad though.

Sure it could have been improved, but those complaints are all small things that could have been tweaked with the old store.

Exactly, the actual interface was fine, it just need a bit better organisation.

That is my feeling exactly. I liked the old store. Sure the search could have been improved, but other than that, no complaints here.

Now we've got something that I think might be a step back in every way, and I'm not just talking about performance today. I think it looks rather drab.

Top Bottom