• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reveals new PSN store

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I don't think the new store is bad per se. It is indeed easier to find stuff due to how they are organized/displayed. It's just not as fast as before due to loading times/steps needed to get there.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
loading speed will get improved

However the increases in steps is an issue which i hope they sort out

To be honest the store was relatively fast for me besides that initial load, and the number of steps thing didn't really bother me that much. But I still have no idea where they've put the apps and services category, as I was looking for the Netflix app.

Carl

Store has never been that slow for me. Only thing that was slow was after purchasing something, where it takes about 10 seconds to load.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
All these 'extra steps' makes it sound like the 3DS store. Which is awfully annoying.

Can't check it myself right now to really compare though.

I dont find the loading times too bad. Imo its not worse than it was before. The layout is way better though and for that i guess the new store is a winner.

In my eyes, the most interesting feature is the support of PayPal for payment. Strange, that this isn't mentioned in the blog post (maybe US exclusive?)

Would be interesting to see if it is possible to buy US-Store content and vice versa from now on. But they have certainly thought of a way to lock this down.

Withnail

The old store was horribly slow when it first came out and I seem to recall a similarly melodramatic reaction then. Obviously it improved over time as they optimised it and I'm sure this will be exactly the same.

Combichristoffersen

In my eyes, the most interesting feature is the support of PayPal for payment. Strange, that this isn't mentioned in the blog post (maybe US exclusive?)

Would be interesting to see if it is possible to buy US-Store content and vice versa from now on. But they have certainly thought of a way to lock this down.

PayPal payment doesn't work for US PSN AFAIK. Hell, it doesn't even work in all countries in Europe.

Store has never been that slow for me. Only thing that was slow was after purchasing something, where it takes about 10 seconds to load.

Never? Even back when it was a web page?

I posted a list of my complaints on the blog comments. I expect them to be ignored.

PaulLFC

Has the "complete purchase, wait about 5 seconds or more before you can go back or do anything else" wait time been fixed?

Tankshell

The PSN store was way overdue an overhaul. Those stupid grid icons from the current store are completely useless when you want to quickly preview content etc.

Looking forward to the change. When does it hit?

Combichristoffersen

The PSN store was way overdue an overhaul. Those stupid grid icons from the current store are completely useless when you want to quickly preview content etc.

Looking forward to the change. When does it hit?

It's up in SCEE territories. US gets it next week.

Carl

Never? Even back when it was a web page?

I posted a list of my complaints on the blog comments. I expect them to be ignored.

I meant the current store. I honestly can't remember the speed of it when it was a web page.

And yeah i already posted the complains and told everyone the download list hasn't changed, but no one takes any notice.

sTeLioSco

Banned
I meant the current store. I honestly can't remember the speed of it when it was a web page.

And yeah i already posted the complains and told everyone the download list hasn't changed, but no one takes any notice.

they said in an interview that the download list will be changed later.

Combichristoffersen

Finally. Can you access the XMB in the Store?

Nope.

Not up in Germany yet. :(

Really? That's strange. It's up in NZ/AU, Scandinavia, the UK (I think) and at least parts of mainland Europe. It'll probably roll out in Germany later today then.

Tried searching for VidZone, and the apps/services seem to have disappeared entirely from the store. Fix this shit, Guerilla!

test_account

XP-39C²
All I wanted to do was try the PSASBR beta...

- Add to cart
- View cart
- Checkout
- Confirm purchase
- Download
- Download in background

Fuck off.

All I want is a list of the new shit on the store, but now they've split it into five different categories, so I have to trawl each of them to see everything. You keep diving into new screens filled with rectangles that you forget which category you're in in the first place.

It looks nice, but is a UI disaster. I think they're hoping you catch yourself browsing through the mess and find something cool to buy, but then buying something is such a pain in the ass that you won't even bother.

Awful. Just awful.
That buying process you describe is how it always has been, nothing has changed there. You dont have to press "view cart" after pressing "add to cart" either by the way. Once you click "add to cart", you get the option of "continue shopping and "proceed to checkout". It is just like before.

I think the new UI is just something one have to get used to. I think it is like this with pretty much all new UI. At least i have that experience with for example Ebay. I remember when they changed the UI and i didnt like it at first, but now i have no problem with it.

It seems that a lot of interfaces are going this way. Not just the obvious comparisons with Metro, but also the Youtube apps on various interfaces, the Steam TV mode thing, the Android Play store, websites like The Verge - I think people are finally realising that horizontal space needs to be better utilised since almost all devices we view these interfaces on are widescreen (and even those that aren't are still wider than they are tall in 99% of instances).

I think you've confused what I was saying there. I'm talking about how games, their DLC, their demos and media are all consolidated onto a single page, like Steam. It's a much more cohesive setup.

That's what I mean too.

In the old EU store, a downloadable retail game was in the "PS3 Games" category, where it'd show for example a demo, then the game you can buy and download.

But any DLC for that game was in the "PS3 Add-ons" category, requiring you to go all the way to the homepage of the store and browse for that title in that category.

The same for trailers, avatars, and so on.

However in the US store, all of the game's media and content is under the one title. It's a much better way to do things.

That buying process you describe is how it always has been, nothing has changed there. You dont have to press "view cart" after pressing "add to cart" either by the way. Once you click "add to cart", you get the option of "continue shopping and "proceed to checkout". It is just like before.

There is an extra step when you're getting a demo. When you add something to your cart, when you select "proceed to checkout", it shows you a new screen with your cart, with a button "checkout" which leads to the confirmation/buy screen.

It's just like buying something with money, but because you aren't paying anything, it's completely redundant.

test_account

XP-39C²
There is an extra step when you're getting a demo. When you add something to your cart, when you select "proceed to checkout", it shows you a new screen with your cart, with a button "checkout" which leads to the confirmation/buy screen.

It's just like buying something with money, but because you aren't paying anything, it's completely redundant.
Oh ok, sorry, i didnt know about demos. But with purchasing stuff, it is the same as before :)

That's what I mean too.

In the old EU store, a downloadable retail game was in the "PS3 Games" category, where it'd show for example a demo, then the game you can buy and download.

But any DLC for that game was in the "PS3 Add-ons" category, requiring you to go all the way to the homepage of the store and browse for that title in that category.

The same for trailers, avatars, and so on.

However in the US store, all of the game's media and content is under the one title. It's a much better way to do things.

I guess but I think there's a big difference between the US stores folders and the single cohesive page on the new store. The latter is much better.

Almost everyone on the EU PS Blog are bagging the new store. I wonder if Sony were expecting this. Usually it seems like they're completely shocked by these kind of developments, as if they live in a glass bubble.

I presume this is just a coincidence but since updating to the new store (I'm based in Australia), I can't seem to get PSN to accept my credit card payment. I get a rather unhelpful error message.

psnerror.jpg

I've tried multiple credit cards and no luck. I just want to give Sony my money so I can get a Plus account and play Unfinished Swan :(

Any ideas?

Carl

I presume this is just a coincidence but since updating to the new store (I'm based in Australia), I can't seem to get PSN to accept my credit card payment. I get a rather unhelpful error message.

psnerror.jpg

I've tried multiple credit cards and no luck. I just want to give Sony my money so I can get a Plus account and play Unfinished Swan :(

Any ideas?

It's fucked.

psnerror.jpg

Any ideas?

Yeah I was panicking earlier but there's no need to worry, it's fucked for everyone.

The new store launch has been a huge success.

Carl

I was curious so i made an Aus account. And i'm confused as hell. No idea what everything is, or where to find new content, or anything really.

I was curious so i made an Aus account. And i'm confused as hell. No idea what everything is, or where to find new content, or anything really.

Just booted it up and can't say I'm impressed. They need to add more categories in the left menu and also organise the squares into logical groups, like full retail games on one side and PSN games on the other with maybe the newest game highlighted in the centre. Just seems really random.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Here is my quick video comparison

http://youtu.be/Ht2JUdoiL_c

Covers:
- Start Up time (see picture above :p)
- # of steps to download a demo
- Searching

Generic info:

The video was recorded in Europe (Italy) before the new Store actually went up in that region. At the time of recording, only the Australian new Store was up, therefore I compared the latter with the old US one (rather than the EU one to keep "internet distance" as similar as possible).

It goes without saying that both the old and the new PlayStation Stores were reached via the very same PS3 system (wired internet connection / fairly fast BB / no background downloadings going on).

Early opinion:

Even tho these results favor the old PlayStation Store, the new one provides a nicer layout and, more importantly, a slicker interface and better content arrangement. So, even tho it's slower to load and requires more steps to download free stuff (at least in its current state), I think the new PlayStation Store makes it easier to find the content you are looking for.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Very nice video, TTP. Thanks. :)

The startup difference is huuuuge. Really disappointing.

Yeah, it makes it all kinda pointless if it takes as much time to find stuff in the old Store as it does to simply load the new one.

Hopefully it gets faster soon.

Carl

I just did a quick comparison aswell. Using the AUS store from UK

2Qh0R.gif

Took me ages to find the content in some of them

All of the times (except start up) are taken from the main splash screen until the content appears.

Top Bottom