• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reveals new PSN store

Sounds like a flawed launch.

On the plus side. HTML 5 means faster updates to improve performance. It also means they can add new features and modify the set up really easily, as opposed to having a "separate" program like the old PSN store.

Hopefully they fix this stuff soon.

jayb

since it's html 5, is there any chance that we can figure out the url for the new store so we can access it from a web browser?

I'm tired and feel like saying something about how poorly I think the UI has been designed so here's some relatively simple changes I'd make in order to improve it:
  • Map "Search" to the Square button.
  • Map "Cart" to the Start button.
  • Get rid of the upper menu, making triangle go straight to the left menu.
  • In the upper menus place, put the PS3/Vita/PSP store selection there and map L1/R1 to switch between them.
  • Replace the "Games" option on the left menu with all the menu options within it (Latest, Most Popular, etc.) except for the PSP and Vita stores obviously.
  • Rename "What's New" to "Front Page" because What's New is stupid and can be confused with Latest.
  • Make the sections under "Latest" go straight to the lists instead of ads, so you can easily see everything.
  • Add the new button options to the bar at the bottom of the screen and keep it visible at all times, in order to help people unfamiliar with the store.

These changes alone would make it much easier to use IMO. A few layers of menus removed, easier access to pretty much everything (especially the Cart, Search and PSP/Vita stores) and better use of the controller (something Sony's UIs suck at).

Oh and list Trial and Unlock games as one f'n game. Trials are just demos!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sounds like a flawed launch.

On the plus side. HTML 5 means faster updates to improve performance. It also means they can add new features and modify the set up really easily, as opposed to having a "separate" program like the old PSN store.

Hopefully they fix this stuff soon.

I'm not an expert so I wonder... can the scrolling graphics get any smoother or is there an HTML5 limitation?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gotta say the AUS store is going pretty fast now, bar the start up (that's still 35s) and the in-between purchasing steps.

I'm not an expert so I wonder... can the scrolling graphics get any smoother or is there an HTML5 limitation?

HTML5 is VERY powerful. Capable of "flash like" content and even 3D rendering. Of course there is a hardware limitation, but the browser and all the software behind it are going to get updated more and more. Jeff_Rigby has followed this stuff for years. He's expected all these changes... just expected them years ago. Sony has been slow to implement HTML5 in the first place, so hopefully now that they have it up and running they can continue to improve it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The limitation is in the browser rendering engine and JavaScript VM... and in how you write the app itself. There are very easy way to get things done with JavaScript and libraries built on top of it (and extensions to CSS that provide 2D and 3D effects)... many ways to get something working... and yet so many ways to throw performance away.

I don't think this is part of the Jeff_Rigby prophecy. It's just a standalone program, it's completely seperate from the XMB while the old one integrated into it somewhat. HTML5 applications like this have been on the PS3 for over a year now.

HTML5 is VERY powerful. Capable of "flash like" content and even 3D rendering. Of course there is a hardware limitation, but the browser and all the software behind it are going to get updated more and more. Jeff_Rigby has followed this stuff for years. He's expected all these changes... just expected them years ago. Sony has been slow to implement HTML5 in the first place, so hopefully now that they have it up and running they can continue to improve it.

It's worth bearing in mind that Facebook recently rewrote their mobile app in native code (thus moving away from HTML5).

The old FB mobile app was slow and clunky too. Coincidence?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's worth bearing in mind that Facebook recently rewrote their mobile app in native code (thus moving away from HTML5).

Of course not, but you must remember one thing: when you develop an iOS app that uses an UIWebView you do not get full acceleration that you get from Safari Mobile. Still, it is true that even a best of breed mobile browser like that cannot match what native apps can provide in terms of animation, special effects, general UI performance... or at least it is very tough to do so in an efficient way. Facebook does not need a native app on your Windows, MacOS X, or desktop Linux distro of choice.

I do believe PS3, while it is not easy to do so, would have more resources available for a dedicated web app (more than you get from iOS right now where you cannot allocate like 150 MB of RAM without having to worry about being killed by the OS) and that when you develop both a web browser as well as a web app that must run on it, you should be able to find the muscle that makes it run fast and smooth.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just noticed the search alphabet shrinks as you select letters according to the last character you entered. So you don't have to scroll through the whole thing every time, but just the letters that could come after the last you entered.

GeoramA

Just noticed the search alphabet shrinks as you select letters according to the last character you entered. So you don't have to scroll through the whole thing every time, but just the letters that could come after the last you entered.
It's just like the Youtube app, only this looks a lot more responsive.

Mario007

Well that was more of a case of facebook programmers being shit and facebook concentrating on desktop version rather than mobile in the past.

I see the store content is updated in Germany but not the look. Where can i download the PSABR beta for PSVita? It doesnt appear in the Vita store, neither can i download it on the PS3 ...

Foshy

@PlayStationEU: The new PlayStation Store goes live in Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands and Belgium in the next hour.
Hmm so we are next (Dutchie here)
FINALLY. I want my PS All-Stars Beta.

Switzerland, btw.

I see the store content is updated in Germany but not the look. Where can i download the PSABR beta for PSVita? It doesnt appear in the Vita store, neither can i download it on the PS3 ...
From what I've heard here on GAF, the beta is only on the new store for some reason.

Old store is advertising 'When Vikings Attack'. When I click on it, it says 'This content cannot be accessed on your account.'
Also it's saying I can BESTELLUNG German Sports Champions 2 in the UK store. ZUSATZ INHALTE

Foshy

Finally updated, downloading the All-Stars betas.

I like the design of the new store, but it's pretty slow as of now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
For the love of god we need to be able to sort categories by newest releases. That's so damn basic.

Yeah, they need to redesign the filters so that you can check multiple filtering options rather than just one. Or something to the same effect.

Arklite

Sounds like a nice piece of garbage they rolled out. The thing looked overly bloated from the start, not surprised it's responding like shit, and thirty seconds for start up should've clued them in immediately that it needs a lot more work or a different interface entirely.

Arklite

+ Eric Lempel on October 17th, 2012 at 9:21 am said:
We are looking at making improvements to the download list along with deploying many additional new features. We wanted to get this out to you as soon as possible, but rest assured that we will be making additional changes and enhancements to the store in the future.

Please don't. Take your time and get it working in a manageable fashion first.

Top Bottom