• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't offer option to disable PS4 DualShock 4 light bar

Nymphae

Banned
If you turn on the auto off function of your controller it will turn off and the movies will keep playing. Watched a season of dexter the last two days...never once stopped playing when the controller did. Set it to 10 minutes.......

Thanks, this has been said several times. Kind of a bummer that my PS4 can't handle shutting off a controller like my PS3 did.

Light is used to:
1. tell if controller on. (ir wont work)
2. tel wich player the controller belongs to. (ir wont work)
3. give ambient light effects. (ir wont work)
4. tracking controller (ir is enough)

They should give option to turn it off.

that sounds like that "assing user to controller feature". Sounds inconvinient. Things are clearly yet to be fully thought out.

What do you mean by IR won't work? That you can't use infrared light to do those things?

turnbuckle

The only way to actually tell how much draw the lights are using is to take the lights out and see what they are rated to/actually physically use to light up with a meter. The test that xn0 did was fairly speculative. His test did not replicate real world use conditions, he could not test actual power draw, and when he removed the led's he removed the entire USB controller board from the battery as well so that you cannot actually tell how much battery life you would actually get if just the lights were off. The USB board draws and uses constant power, hooked up or not. Until you can isolate the LED power draw alone from the controller, you cannot accurately measure the effect on the battery life.

I'm not saying that the LED's use no power, I'm just saying that it's reckless and likely incorrect to assume that turning them off will give you any appreciable extra battery life. LED's are not really known for being huge energy sinks.

"reckless"

Oh geez. You yourself have said the only way to know is with a specific test so you're working with the same (lack) of information as the rest of us. Then we get into vague terms like "appreciable". Is that just 10-30 minutes? Is it perhaps an hour? Even an extra hour would be nice; 20 minutes I'd be indifferent to. We don't know.

So if commenting on it is reckless, you're just as reckless as the rest of us.

Breemin

I am pretty sure that very soon there will aftermarket controllers that will have a switch on them to turn off/on the LED. Then eventually I expect Sony to come out with their own with this option, and with a smaller light that will indicate if the controller is on and which controller number it is.

There will be solutions. But it will not come in the form of a on/off options in Sony's OS.

Pretty sure this won't bother me when I get a PS4. Wii's blue disc tray light was never a problem for me even when it lit up at night while I was trying to sleep.

"reckless"

Oh geez. You yourself have said the only way to know is with a specific test so you're working with the same (lack) of information as the rest of us. Then we get into vague terms like "appreciable". Is that just 10-30 minutes? Is it perhaps an hour? Even an extra hour would be nice; 20 minutes I'd be indifferent to. We don't know.

So if commenting on it is reckless, you're just as reckless as the rest of us.

Commenting is not reckless, drawing any conclusion based on the test is reckless. I did not do that.

Why is this such a big deal? it has literally never reflected on the tv for me, nor I have been annoyed by it. I actually like it.

"It isn't a problem for me, so it's not an issue at all." Come on now. There would be zero negatives to giving people options. Everybody wins when there are options.

I can't believe people are defending this. Tape it, stick it under a pillow...what the hell? That doesn't solve the battery issue for starters. I'm not losing any sleep over this and of course in the grand scheme of things this is an insignificant issue..but to defend it? Let's try and push aside any bias and look at this simply for what it is.

It is an issue for many that Sony should address with a better response than "no".

people really need to get over this light.

I agree.

It's really not a big deal. My couch is directly facing my 3D 55 (semi glossy) LED TV. The tv is not hung on the wall, but sits at couch level (entertainment table).

If the lightbar doesn't bother me or anyone in our house (I'm super picky*), I don't see it being that big a deal.

*exchanged an iPad 2 at launch slight backlight bleed in a corner.

*exhanged 3DS twice for floppy hinge

*exchanged 3DSXL at launch twice (screen had slight seam from housing another had floppy hinge and wiggly shoulder button)

*exchanged black iphone 5 for a white, next day for fear of chipping bezel

*exchanged PSVita (vertical lines)

I clean Vita and 3DS daily (hate fingerprints and reflective smearing in the light).

If anyone would be picky about a light bar, I thought'd be me. I totally haven't even noticed it when playing.

Squire

Banned
They will, eventually. It might take two years or longer, but they will.

Eventually people who are at Sony and are relatively high up are going to get annoyed with it themselves.

KoopaTheCasual

Can't wait until somebody makes a good third party controller. The battery life pisses me off even more than the light, which in and of itself is the most annoying controller related issue I've dealt with since the disintegrating Atari 5200 joysticks.

It IS a fairly arrogant thing he said. What happened to, "We are always listening to our customer base, and looking into ways to make your PS4 experience the best it can possibly be!"
I mean, if you read all of Shu's responses to fan questions on twitter, they're always single word answers, even when it's a positive 'yes'. I don't see any arrogance from Shu's response at all, however I do see Sony's sluggishness in response to something that counter's their vision, which is really annoying.

TheYanger

Half of these responses are ridiculous. TURN IT AROUND. PUT IT IN A DRAWER...Maybe Sony could just put in an option to shut the shit off? It's a fucking controller, you have to use it to do things, and in many cases (Like watching movies) You want the light to be off. It serves no purpose here other than to be smug. Last I checked, even if it's not glaring on my TV, I would prefer to not have an atomic glowing controller in the room when I'm watching something in the dark. Putting your means of control inside of a desk or whatever is hardly an acceptable solution to the issue, might as well say "STOP WATCHING MOVIES DUMMY"

Qassim

Maybe they should learn more about it before purchasing it. It's a controller feature and well advertised, why would they want to disable a feature?

Yes.. Sony advertised "there is an LED strip on the back of your controller that you may never, ever use that is so bright that you may see it reflected back at you in your TV"

Zee-Row

Banned
I never notice it even in the dark , I always have to turn it over to see what color it is because i like how it changes color when you take damage in Killzone.

Breemin

I love how everyone is ignoring this with the whole movie watching issues. "I have to sign back in everytime though!" That literally, LITERALLY, only takes 5 seconds still.

Some people are stupid about security and need to re-enter their stupidly complex 20 digit password each time they log in.. hehe

Vesper73

This is actually quite a problem with my projector. The DS4 lightbar actually casts enough light onto the screen to wash out the image a bit! >< Yeah I know, first world.....

potential solution for Netflix?

nT32CnA.jpg

I had no idea this was a problem for people. Light doesn't bother me at all, but I understand wanting the option to be able to turn it off.

Lasdrub

I want this option and also the option to turn off the light on the Vita home button. It's distracting when I'm playing in the dark.

Marc

At least Sony listens to its customers... wait... what?!?!

It reflects off the TV, it clearly drains the battery, you can't even really see the light as intended at least with Killzone I only noticed the light as a reflection (when dark). You don't even get to choose the colour.

Seems like Sony pre-launch and Sony post-launch are very different prospects, a little concerning really.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Because they stupidly built the light as the ONLY way to know if the controller is on. So I'm sure they're afraid of the confusion it would cause if you could turn them off.

It was a really dumb mistake that they're not going to fix now.

Plug it in for the LED to reactivate. Problem solved.

TheYanger

A person can have privacy concerns with the kinect, that's a good reason to complain.

You have the option of not buying it.

Turn your kinect around. Put it in a shoebox. Put tape over it.

Are you beginning to see how fucking stupid it is to actively lobby AGAINST options?

I get that some people don't care about the light, that's fine, but it's completely asinine to tell others that they should stfu and take it.

Not having an unnecessary light on the top of your controller is a last generation feature.

It doesn't really bother me, but without the camera, it's not really a feature add either. You really don't see it when you're playing a game, so the little gimmicky uses they've come up with are pretty inconsequential.

Turn your kinect around. Put it in a shoebox. Put tape over it.

Are you beginning to see how fucking stupid it is to actively lobby AGAINST options?

I get that some people don't care about the light, that's fine, but it's completely asinine to tell others that they should stfu and take it.

Privacy is a whole different issue than some lightbar on a controller.

Top Bottom