• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't offer option to disable PS4 DualShock 4 light bar

EL CUCO

The lightbar doesn't bother me too much ATM, because I've been playing mostly shooters in with lots of stuff going on to even notice (in regular lighting).

However, I did have to put it on the floor facing the wall the other day while watching a bluray. I have too much OCD to not let it annoy me.

Man, playing Outlast in the dark is going to be annoying. I like playing horror games in pitch black with headphones on. I can already see it distracting me.

Found a way to fix the problem

1) Open the controller
2) Take the little robots out
3) Light should now be off
4) ???????
5) [Insert rest of overused South Park joke]

Reallink

Someone needs to make a molded plastic cover that affixes itself to the charging port with a dummy micro USB head. Amazing we got a Kinect cover at launch, but no one has made one of these yet.

Pillville

It's a flimsy use case but it's used to gauge your health in Killzone.

Am I the only one who can't see this while playing? Even if I look down, I have to tilt the controller to see the color. Kinda hard to do while playing.

I guess I need to sit closer to the TV so I can see the reflection on the screen. lol.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I wonder why they are being so stubborn about this.

The only thing I can think of is that there's some sort of core functionality tied to it? I honestly don't know because people on here have already said that they've covered the light with electrical tape and apparently that doesn't cause problems.

Krakn3Dfx

They can't just flip a switch to turn off the light, the console was built around it.

1280319878_parrot-is-playing-dead.gif

Nakor

A) Some guy ran tests and proved that it draws more power with the light on, which is obvious.
B) I have one of the more reflective TV's (S60) and I never notice the light reflecting in the TV unless I strain my eyes and look for it, or nothing is on-screen.
C) I do however, always notice it when the lights are off - it lights up the room like your phone screen would, ruining the lightning of the room.

The only thing I can think of is that there's some sort of core functionality tied to it? I honestly don't know because people on here have already said that they've covered the light with electrical tape and apparently that doesn't cause problems.

It supposedly works perfectly fine with the the lights off on PC as well. It's not mandatory at all, 0 reason for it to be on for people who don't have a camera.

MaulerX

If they really wanted to, they could release a software/firmware update that allows the led to be off and only turn on when the PS4 detects the camera to be plugged in.

Am I the only one who can't see this while playing? Even if I look down, I have to tilt the controller to see the color. Kinda hard to do while playing.

I guess I need to sit closer to the TV so I can see the reflection on the screen. lol.

Agreed. I usually forget it's even there. That said, I could understand why it would bug some people.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It shines through and still reflects off the tv?

That's nuts.

YUP

My TV is low and glossy and my room is small so I have to sit pretty close. It's a shitstorm for reflections from the controller and I mentally can't block out reflections. My eye just focuses on them.

Also, like i've said previously, I think the people having a problem with the light on the TV is because of how you hold the controller. Set the Dualshock on a flat surface...the light actually points DOWN.

At least for me, when I play, I don't keep my elbows and the controller tilted up. So the light has always pointed downwards for me, and never been an issue.
Unfortunately, in my case, my TV is eye level. When I game on my couch, I like to sit back and relax and have my arms on my lap so the damn lightbar shows up on the bottom parts of my TV. The controller is not flat unless I sit straight up and kinda aim the controller down.

As for my TV, I have the Sony w900a, a LED TV that is unfortunately, quite reflective. Just sucks that there isn't an option to simply turn off the lightbar. And from the sounds of it, seems like Sony won't ever make that feature available. :/

If they really wanted to, they could release a software/firmware update that allows the led to be off and only turn on when the PS4 detects the camera to be plugged in.
Please make that happen Sony... please!

I don't have a problem with the light but I do have a problem with battery drain and the battery's drain fast on the ds4. Either offer one without the light or give the option to disable it.

ironcreed

Banned
YUP

My TV is low and glossy and my room is small so I have to sit pretty close. It's a shitstorm for reflections from the controller and I mentally can't block out reflections. My eye just focuses on them.

That sucks, as I sit pretty much right in front of my TV when gaming and it's about level with my body when sitting. That would no doubt be a problem for me, so I'll likely put some black electrical tape over it whenever I get a PS4.

Man, I wish they put in a dimming option that only works by the PSEye adjusting the brightness according to the room's lighting. Just to read more outrage on GAF about a light mainly used as battery and profile indicator.

Still no idea how people have set up their TV that they can see reflections from something that's resting in their hands (and from nothing else).

Sleepwalker

Why is this such a big deal? it has literally never reflected on the tv for me, nor I have been annoyed by it. I actually like it.

CalebW

Banned

You're not alone. The light is useless in games.

Freeman

Banned
What pisses me is the people who don't mind the issue of battery life and uselessness of the light taking the time to come here to complain about who is complaining.

Breemin

I don't get why so many people are complaining about the light bar while watching a movie or Netflix.

Do you really hold on to the controller and use it like your playing a game while your watching a movie?? I would find that kind of weird and uncomfortable.

Just put it down... face it in a way the light wont bother you or the TV. My controller turns itself off after a short while when im on Netflix or watching a Blu-ray.

KoopaTheCasual

Ugh, that's annoying. I couldn't give a shit about 'glare' but the battery drain is no doubt going to be annoying. Come on, Shu. -___-

Because their launch success has already gone to their head. Didn't take long for PS2-era mentality to creep back in.
Between this and the other thread, you're really working overtime on the hyperbole.

Cheech

Can't wait until somebody makes a good third party controller. The battery life pisses me off even more than the light, which in and of itself is the most annoying controller related issue I've dealt with since the disintegrating Atari 5200 joysticks.

Between this and the other thread, you're really working overtime on the hyperbole.

It IS a fairly arrogant thing he said. What happened to, "We are always listening to our customer base, and looking into ways to make your PS4 experience the best it can possibly be!"

turnbuckle

Is it possible the design hardware wise just doesn't allow for it and they don't want to admit it? I've always felt they initially intended to follow MS in having a camera in every box and their odd stance on the lightbar has always had me thinking maybe the just didn't include and physical element to turn it off that could be controlled via the OS.

I mean if it could be turned off and given most games don't seem to need it (unless I'm missing something) then why wouldn't hey allow it and continue to look all consumer friendly vs flat out refusing?

This could be a good explanation.

And it's not like Sony is new to releasing updated versions of controllers.

PS1 had at least 3 versions. Normal, Analog, Dual Shock.
PS3 had Sixaxis and Dual Shock 3.

I suspect there'll be an updated version of the Dual Shock 4. At the very least they'll do something about the rubber on analog sticks.

Hyun Sai

I dont understand why they wont offer and option AND people defend them not offering an option.
Because for some people Sony is always right and pretending the contrary is heresy.

I don't see the big deal about giving people the option to turn it off.

Nymphae

Banned
Are they constantly using the controller while watching netflix?

put the damn thing down and turn it away from the tv....

What the hell is with this defence force for a feature no one really wanted, a huge bright shining blue light that is absolutely unnecessary 95% of the time?

No, I'm not constantly using my controller while I watch Netflix, but the DS4's battery life sucks compared to other devices I own, and I like to turn it off when I'm not using it to save power.

Telling me to turn it away from myself or wait 10 minutes for the software to do it for me is missing the point. I was able to shut of my controller while watching Netflix on PS3, I kind of expected that to stay the same.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
iirc Sony also said no one wanted rumble in their controllers. It took about a year, but then the DS3 was released. I'm sure we'll get a controller without the light bar soon enough.

Gaf I have a question to all of you who own the PS4 and this is about the lightbar on the PS4. The moment you turn on the PS4 with the dualshock4, the light on the light bar turns white, but the light on the PS4 is blue and pulsating, once when the initial start up screen appears the Ps4's light has turned white while the Dualshock4's lightbar is now bright blue. I find this rather odd, because when the system is in standby mode, the controller is blinking orange when plugged in and the light on the PS4 is bright orange, and even my monitor has the orange light when it's on standby and the blue light when it's powered back on. Can Sony change the PS4's pulsating blue light upon starting the PS4 to white and then once you get to the start up screen it should turn to bright blue. I am just nitpicking, but the bright blue on the pitch piano black console felt visually pleasing than white.

The only way to actually tell how much draw the lights are using is to take the lights out and see what they are rated to/actually physically use to light up with a meter. The test that xn0 did was fairly speculative. His test did not replicate real world use conditions, he could not test actual power draw, and when he removed the led's he removed the entire USB controller board from the battery as well so that you cannot actually tell how much battery life you would actually get if just the lights were off. The USB board draws and uses constant power, hooked up or not. Until you can isolate the LED power draw alone from the controller, you cannot accurately measure the effect on the battery life.

I'm not saying that the LED's use no power, I'm just saying that it's reckless and likely incorrect to assume that turning them off will give you any appreciable extra battery life. LED's are not really known for being huge energy sinks.

CDV13

If you turn on the auto off function of your controller it will turn off and the movies will keep playing. Watched a season of dexter the last two days...never once stopped playing when the controller did. Set it to 10 minutes.......

Raonak

Banned
I do wonder what the reasoning behind it is. Im guessing it's because there's no other way for players to tell which controller they have, since there's no other player indicator besides the light.

dimming would be a good solution.

Top Bottom