• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 5 Announced - 2012 - [Up 7: Make A New E3 Thread Please]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
_dementia said:
Dante wouldn't be too outlandish. I'm sure Capcom and Namco are pretty buddy-buddy. Capcom even developed the recent DBZ arcade fighter.
They had a Monster Hunter song in a recent Taiko no Tatsujin, too.

Which gets me to thinking: A bunch of Monster Hunter armor pieces for use in SCV's character creator would be a pretty damn cool cross-promotional thing.

Roto13

Neiteio said:
The story in SCIV tried to make Star Wars a part of the Soul Calibur canon, saying Darth Vader and Yoda sensed huge spikes in the Force and traveled to the Soul Calibur galaxy only to find it was Soul Edge and/or Soul Calibur creating the spike in the Force. Likewise, Soul Calibur II tried to explain Link's presence by saying he journeyed beyond the kingdom of Hyrule to the lands of Soul Calibur -- which, may I remind, includes such places as Japan. What all is this means is, Soul Calibur's amazing story puts Hyrule, Earth and Star Wars in the same universe. In other words, they need to stop telling stories.
None of that is canon. They just stick some random excuse in guest characters' profiles and never speak of it again.

TreIII

SiegfriedFM said:
The new kid's dad is Rothion. Patroklos' family has been known for more than ten years now, it's nothing to speculate about.

Well, with this possible being the "Tekken 3" for the Soul series, I can guess Pat will be its "Jin Kazama". Right down to how his Soul Edge taint will probably give him some type of obligatory "dark power" that will be at the crux of things. :lol

Neiteio said:
The story in SCIV tried to make Star Wars a part of the Soul Calibur canon, saying Darth Vader and Yoda sensed huge spikes in the Force and traveled to the Soul Calibur galaxy only to find it was Soul Edge and/or Soul Calibur creating the spike in the Force. Likewise, Soul Calibur II tried to explain Link's presence by saying he journeyed beyond the kingdom of Hyrule to the lands of Soul Calibur -- which, may I remind, includes such places as Japan. What all is this means is, Soul Calibur's amazing story puts Hyrule, Earth and Star Wars in the same universe. In other words, they need to stop telling stories.

241967029_3V9PQ-L-2.jpg

I'm expecting Pat and a couple of returning characters. Considering Daishi was a bit hesitant to reveal Siegfried in his twitter though, I'm not sure if they're actually going to have any.

Edit: OMG at that Siegfried art!!!

Edit2: New avatar get!

scosher

I'm excited. I still enjoyed the hell out of SC4, even if it was the weakest in the series. I even grew to like Soul Crushes, although they do need to get rid of armor breaking off mid-match and being handicapped the rest of the way.

My guess on new characters:

Sophitia/Cassandra likely replaced by Sophitia's son and daughter respectively. My primary character has always been Soph, so I hope Patrocles doesn't look like a total Tidus-like doofus.

Ivy will probably remain with some sort of demon blood or whatever plot device to freeze her age and boob size.

Mitsurugi will remain but older. Same for most of the male cast actually, although they might introduce new characters for Kilik, Maxi, and Yunseong.

If there's any female character that they'll keep at age 40, my money is on Taki to be the MILF of the series.

NeonZ

Neiteio said:

The guest characters never appear outside of their own stories though.

Yes, of course, if you chose Vader and went to play the story mode with him, there'll be a story explaning what the hell he's doing on Earth, but, if you play with anyone else, there'll be no Vader or Yoda at all. I don't see how that's a problem. Crippling the gameplay of the guest characters (by cutting them from story mode) would be stupid.

Also, technically, according to SCII's story, Hyrule is in another universe, not just a far away land. But the same thing goes to Link. He doesn't exist in anyone's story but his own. And, like already mentioned, those stories aren't referenced in later games.

Probably the weirdest "connection" is Angol Fear, who is a guest character but actually appeared in other people's stories and she's actually directly connected to the Sgt.Frog /Keroro Gunso manga. She later appears in that manga, and the events from her story in Soul Calibur are (very briefly) referenced in the volume 19 extras.

TreIII

Excellent. Siggy's finally done with the "pretty-boy" act, and now he's become all MANLY. Can't wait to hear how Nobuyuki Hiyama (his Seiyuu in the JP vocal track) acts him this time around.

DasRaven

Propagation delay probably. They wisely kept the content off the main site until the timer expired for fear of hacks/leaks.

Kimosabae

Banned
CHRIST, I love Team Soul's character designs so much. Who's their artist again?

One of the main reasons I fell in love with this series.

Anyways, those gameplay details don't leave me with much faith.

How could they possibly make combos more "accessible"? For the most part, the execution of most damaging juggle combos in SC came down to the simple fact of knowing them (memorization). Sounds like they want to turn attack strings into some dial-a-combo BS. Stun combos were already a step in that direction and I hated them.

Also, I don't want every character in the game to have to be in your face to be viable. The variety of weapons and styles that fostered gameplay from a variety of ranges was more pronounced in this series (well, at least the first two games) than other fighters. In 2d fighters, you can zone/pit/turtle. In most 3D fighters there's largely just pit/turtle with some variance between. Fundamentally, you could just take your inclination and apply it to a character. But to say Cervantes was a "mid-range" character actually meant something specific to that character. To say Mitsu was pitbull meant something specific to him. Kilik was beyond mid-range, etc. The closest thing to a pure zoning character in this seres has been Ivy, but it isn't zoning in the 2D sense.

Anyway, yeah, sorry for the rant. I suspect that if Team Soul has been developing this game in a bubble without paying attention to the recent trends set by SF4, MvC3, MK9 etc. - it's going to be trash, like the last few games.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Revolutionary said:
The last time a Namco fighting game jumped ~15 years, we got Tekken 3.

This new Soul game will be awesome.

well if thats the case, sophitia is gonna be removed from the roster

LowParry

Kimosabae said:
How could they possibly make combos more "accessible"?

Maybe we'll see more dial-in combos? Which would be weird in SC. It's all about the impact of one move, which can turn into a small juggle.

Dead Man

Roto13 said:
This is what happens if you click "like" and press next a few times. Naked Nightmare or someone new?

http://i.imgur.com/PoNq4.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Has to be someone new, it's not Siegfried, and Nightmare would not be so human looking... surely. Maybe it is Siegs alt costume.

sleepykyo

Kimosabae said:
Anyway, yeah, sorry for the rant. I suspect that if Team Soul has been developing this game in a bubble without paying attention to the recent trends set by SF4, MvC3, MK9 etc. - it's going to be trash, like the last few games.

I figure they meant the recovery frames are going to closer to Tekken. Basically a lot more -1 to +1 scenarios. Also you're really going to put MVC3 and MK9 over the SC4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom