• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 5 Announced - 2012 - [Up 7: Make A New E3 Thread Please]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
_dementia said:
Dream guest characters (now that we know guest characters are a certainty) MC (360), Kratos (PS3), and Hayabusa (both)
Ugh. I'm so sick of Kratos. MC doesn't fit at all, and nobody cares about Hayabusa.

New Berserk anime's coming. Perfect time for a cross promotion. Heck, bring in Game of Thrones characters. They'd fit.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If we're talking ludicrous guest characters that will never happen, how about Duke Nukem? He did the time-traveling thing, lots of hot babes, and it would be awesome.

TreIII said:
See, I love 8WR in the original SC. SC2 made things perhaps "too good", and everything else afterward was perhaps too stilted. But in the original game, it was practically perfect. So I could definitely stand to see something closer to what the original game had (c'mon Odashima, you know what's best!).

Any way, the reason I hated weapon breaking back then is for the same reason I hated soul crushing in SC4. It did more to punish good defense than anything else. And in this day and age, if they put something like that in there, they would like throw in some lame come back mechanic to try and "balance" it out. No thank you. Ring outs are the ONLY "equalizer" that this series has ever needed.

But yeah, EMM was something awesome. Hope they DO bring that much back from SE.
This x 1000. Odashima has directly stated that he thinks SC1's system is the best. Again, this game will be a return to SC1 form with other things tossed in.

PBalfredo

Dahbomb said:
Siegfried looks BAD FUCKING ASS!

Also did anyone see this:

sc_handychart.jpg

Height = breast size
Who is the fifth from the left? Is that suppose to be Hilde?

Sectus

PBalfredo said:
Who is the fifth from the left? Is that suppose to be Hilde?
From the left it's:
Ivy, Setsuka, Sophitia, Taki, Cassandra, Hilde, Tira, Seung Mina, Xianghua, Talim and Amy.

I know my boobies well!

TreIII

Green Scar said:
Seeing as he just appeared in MK, I doubt Warner would be too happy about that.

If Namco was smart, they'd think about something closer to home. TALES characters.

I mean, Lord knows that Graces F will need a serious marketing push if the Tales series is to have any hope of success over in the West. I could think of few better means to help market the series than in something like SC. As long as SC is going to be this type of game that has guest characters, Namco might as well use it to its own benefit. Save some money on the same tip, since they wouldn't have to pay for licensing rights.

LiK

Sectus said:
From the left it's:
Ivy, Setsuka, Sophitia, Taki, Cassandra, Hilde, Tira, Seung Mina, Xianghua, Talim and Amy.

I know my boobies well!
That's why we're friends from the RE5 thread ;)

TreIII said:
If Namco was smart, they'd think about something closer to home. TALES characters.

I mean, Lord knows that Graces F will need a serious marketing push if the Tales series is to have any hope of success over in the West. I could think of few better means to help market the series than in something like SC. As long as SC is going to be this type of game that has guest characters, Namco might as well use it to its own benefit. Save some money on the same tip, since they wouldn't have to pay for licensing rights.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see Tales characters in SC5. BUT... there's no way they'd be the only guest characters. They'd probably get treated as an unlockable, like Roy in Smash Bros Melee, that's supposed to make those unfamiliar with the character interested. But they can't be used as a marketing tool (the point of SC guest characters), so yeah.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Cataferal said:
I want to play as My Little Pony characters. It's the only way they can better the Star Wars cameos.
The only way they can better the Star Wars cameos is if there's Spaceballs cameos. Real talk.

soakrates

sleepykyo said:
Oh please, as another poster noted, she'll probably be kept in her current state by her living Soul Edge based sword.

edit: Also without Critical Finishes, expect to see a lot more of the old SC2 step guard fests.

Lows and throws still beat step guard, I believe. And critical finishes weren't really much of a threat at the higher levels of play, anyway. Especially not after the patch made them much more difficult to earn. CF's much bigger impact was to make SC4 boring as shit to play.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Cataferal said:
I want to play as My Little Pony characters. It's the only way they can better the Star Wars cameos.
They could always go with Big Lebowski characters.

soakrates said:
Lows and throws still beat step guard, I believe. And critical finishes weren't really much of a threat at the higher levels of play, anyway. Especially not after the patch made them much more difficult to earn. CF's much bigger impact was to make SC4 boring as shit to play.
I thought throws didn't track step only 8WR.

soakrates

Freshmaker said:
I thought throws didn't track step only 8WR.
Could be. My memories of SC2 are a bit foggy. I do remember people being caught by throws at the end of a step-g pretty often, though.

Pimpbaa

No underaged girls this time please. I assume we are going to see an adult Talim in this, which is good. Really gonna miss Ivy, Sophitia, and Taki :( Hopefully Ivy is immortal or something.

Looking for guest characters?

The-Witcher-2-Screenshots-Will-Impress.jpg

It would never happen because the Japanese market wouldn't give a crap, but Namco Bandai does publish Witcher 2 in Europe, and CD Projekt will probably be trying to put out a console version next year so the timing would be right.

sleepykyo

soakrates said:

And those are still in SC4. CFs just add an additional option. Not sure one more way to discourage blocking makes SC4 boring.

We'll have agree to disagree about the impact of CFs. Mick v. RTD SC2 match was painfully boring. Mick v. Malek was a little less boring and the CF did come into play. While Malek was always using a variety of guard impacts, sidesteps and jumping mids. Mick was always extremely conservative until his soul gauge start flashing. Not everyone responds the same way to that gauge flashing, but it they respond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx2O9fInU78

What made SC4 worse than SC2 was the movement was off and the move lists were neutered. eg. Taki losing the ability to throw from Posession stance.

Jay Shadow said:
Looking for guest characters?

http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/The-Witcher-2-Screenshots-Will-Impress.jpg[IMG]

It would never happen because the Japanese market wouldn't give a crap, but Namco Bandai does publish Witcher 2 in Europe, and CD Projekt will probably be trying to put out a console version next year so the timing would be right.[/QUOTE]
I like the cut of your jib.

LowParry

I wouldn't mind another Tekken character. Like say, Kunimitsu? It'd be the ultimate troll Namco ever did. But Tales characters would be fun to see as guests.

soakrates

sleepykyo said:
We'll have agree to disagree about the impact of CFs. Mick v. RTD SC2 match was painfully boring. Mick v. Malek was a little less boring and the CF did come into play. While Malek was always using a variety of guard impacts, sidesteps and jumping mids. Mick was always extremely conservative until his soul gauge start flashing. Not everyone responds the same way to that gauge flashing, but it they respond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx2O9fInU78

What made SC4 worse than SC2 was the movement was off and the move lists were neutered. eg. Taki losing the ability to throw from Posession stance.
Back when I played SC4 (stopped around mid-2009) I rarely saw CFs have any significant impact in a high-level match. It happened occasionally, sure, but not enough to really consider CFs a constant threat.

Sluggish movement and gutted move lists aside, SC4 was garbage because CF forced Project Soul to make every character swing like a kitten. As a result, blockstun is rubbish and the game doesn't flow nearly as well as past installments. I find it's just a chore to play.

Not only that, it just makes way more sense to reward good offense instead of punishing good defense. I'll be glad to see CF go, especially if it's replaced with SC2's guard break system or some facsimile of it.

Dahbomb

My guest character of choice:

Sparda.jpg

But that would be too awesome for Soul Calibur. Also would be weird since Sparda's sword looks a lot like Soul Edge to begin with.

plO5G3f2.jpg

Dahbomb

No Dante in SC because if you want to play the perfect action game to fighting game transition of Dante you have to play MVC3. No other game will ever be able to do him justice and since MVC3 already has so many godlike characters, no character would stand a chance against him.

_dementia said:
I would say Dante, but you said stylish.
Stylish probably wasn't even in Capcom's vocabulary before they made Dante.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom