• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 5 Announced - 2012 - [Up 7: Make A New E3 Thread Please]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morph-0

The concept art looks good as always but that teaser trailer was pants. Makes it feel like nothing much will change with this game. I hope I'm wrong but in the mean time I think I'll stick to SC1.

NeonZ

Kimosabae said:
How could they possibly make combos more "accessible"?

Juggles? I hope they won't do that and I don't see how it could work well for people with slower weapons.

There's also the chance of that just meaning a smaller recovery time after attacks, which they also mentioned there separately. It wouldn't really make any significant combos "easier", but players would be able to get one extra hit or so.

Kurtofan

Roto13 said:
They just posted some art on Facebook. Looks like Siegfried is back. Also, a close up of Patroklos' sword.

http://i.imgur.com/Fflmv.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WJV84.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
Manliness incarnate.

Skilletor

CcrooK said:
Maybe we'll see more dial-in combos? Which would be weird in SC. It's all about the impact of one move, which can turn into a small juggle.

Some people were saying they wanted it to be more "soul edge" like. That would fall in line with this expectation.

LowParry

Skilletor said:
Some people were saying they wanted it to be more "soul edge" like. That would fall in line with this expectation.

I'd be game for that. Hopefully we get some gameplay vids at E3.

Skilletor said:

This would be outstanding since, as much as I do enjoy SC, I've always preferred the way SE/SB played.

Ezalc

Can't wait to see how much skimpier the outfits get. I hope Ivy comes out with only tape covering all the lady parts.

So the countdown was to a website prompting people to join a Facebook page before they show anything. I bet one of the new characters is named Ovaltine.

LowParry

Let's hope they do away with those "I'm on drugs" eyes. I'd love to see some facial animations when they block or attack.

TreIII

hikarutilmitt said:
This would be outstanding since, as much as I do enjoy SC, I've always preferred the way SE/SB played.

Agreed, except for Weapon Breaking, the overly-exaggerated jumps and, of course, no 8WR.

But there's nothing I could take away from SE having some of the best music in the series. Somewhere between SE and SC is where I would love to see the music direction go once again.

PBalfredo

This sounds awesome, but I'm really, really hoping they include Cassandra. Not just a new generation character with her moveset, but her. Her attitude and appearance are big parts in the total package (which includes moveset and play-style) that makes her my favorite fighting game character.

Ashodin

I think that "character art" we are going to reveal is still just another Siegfried pic (not complaining). I would have rather liked to have seen another new character.

Dahbomb

Siegfried looks BAD FUCKING ASS!

Also did anyone see this:

sc_handychart.jpg

Height = breast size

eso76

It's not like they could keep enlarging Ivy's ass and Taki's breasts
I actually think boobs are getting smaller and clothes less revealing this time, just a guess.

Kimosabae

Banned
sleepykyo said:
I figure they meant the recovery frames are going to closer to Tekken. Basically a lot more -1 to +1 scenarios. Also you're really going to put MVC3 and MK9 over the SC4?

Actually, I should have just said MK9. Even though I'm not as much of a fan of its gameplay mechanics as the Capcom games, out of those three, its the game with a thriving competitive community whose design actually embraces the competitive mindset the most. With less focus on comeback mechanics and putting reigns on creativity than MvC3 and SF4, the outcome of matches seem to have more integrity. However, NR's implementation of those mechanics are much more subtle, so other developers may not pick up on what makes them so much better than X-Factor or Ultras.

Also, it's focus on singleplayer should set a new standard regarding what to expect from every fighter from here on out. Its quantity doesn't need to be matched nearly as much as quality of in effort.

I hardly liked SC4 at all. While the gameplay is relatively solid compared to 3 (sans Hilde), the game is boring as fuck. No Soul Charge? Really? No frames for offense/mixups on block - though you mentioned they may be looking to address this, slow speed, shitty step, no creativity in terms of juggles, ugh. I could go on. I fall asleep just looking at that game.

Yeah, I'd definitely put MvC (SF4)and MK9 above SC4. While X-factor may make Marvel a shitty competitive game - at least the game is fun as hell. That's what matters.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Soul Series character art really is among the best. Exactly why the Namco X Capcom Art was so awesome! Really makes me wish they'd make a "hand-drawn" game...

Seig and Sophi's Son look awesome. Hope Seig's english voice is still Crispin Freeman! :lol:

TreIII said:
Agreed, except for Weapon Breaking, the overly-exaggerated jumps and, of course, no 8WR.

But there's nothing I could take away from SE having some of the best music in the series. Somewhere between SE and SC is where I would love to see the music direction go once again.

It's odd because I don't really care for 8WR in any of the 3D fighters that I play. I think a good evasion mechanic like in VF or a better version of Tekken's would work better, IMO.

Also, weapon breaking, so long as they did it in a logical sense instead of just an arbitrary meter that goes boom when you guard/Soul Crush too much would be fine.

There were a LOT of things changed from SE to SC that contribute to my liking SC as a game, but still preferring the way SE plays. Some of them were the single player (the way EMM worked was outstanding in SE) others were just stylistic changes.

Oh oh, maybe we can get another Khan Super Sessions soundtrack?

Skilletor

I thought the 8WR was perfect in SC4, too strong in SC2. It's a great system that makes perfect sense with the control scheme of the SC series.

Kimosabae

Banned
Skilletor said:
I thought the 8WR was perfect in SC4, too strong in SC2. It's a great system that makes perfect sense with the control scheme of the SC series.

Yeah, it's debatable, but I hate slow games. For me, when it comes to a fighting engine; faster = better.

Subitai

17 years. Wow. This means a pretty big roster shuffle. For me, the excitement came from new moves for old characters as much as new characters. In case, I'll be down for a preorder as soon as they're available.

RedSwirl

Green Scar said:
OK, actually guest character suggestion with a decent chance of popping up- Ezio.

Ehhh... Soul Calibur actually takes place about a century after Ezio's time. They'd still have to pull some kind of bullshit.

Honestly I don't have an issue with guest characters because they get sales, and I can just ignore them. If we're gonna go down this route though, I've never seen any reason why Final Fantasy characters couldn't show up, like Cloud or Lightning for the PS3 version. I think it'd be a bit much to expect characters from competing Non-Namco fighters though.

sleepykyo

Kimosabae said:
Actually, I should have just said MK9. Even though I'm not as much of a fan of its gameplay mechanics as the Capcom games, out of those three, its the game with a thriving competitive community whose design actually embraces the competitive mindset the most. With less focus on comeback mechanics and putting reigns on creativity than MvC3 and SF4, the outcome of matches seem to have more integrity. However, NR's implementation of those mechanics are much more subtle, so other developers may not pick up on what makes them so much better than X-Factor or Ultras.

I hardly liked SC4 at all. While the gameplay is relatively solid compared to 3 (sans Hilde), the game is boring as fuck. No Soul Charge? Really? No frames for offense/mixups on block - though you mentioned they may be looking to address this, slow speed, shitty step, ugh. I fall asleep just looking at that game.

Yeah, I'd definitely put MvC (SF4)and MK9 above SC4. While X-factor may make Marvel a shitty competitive game - at least the game is fun as hell. That's what matters.

MK9 has a thriving competitive community? I'd wait until a month after Evo on that one. There has a been a lot of hype but that has been mostly been generated by the Capcom crowd propping it up and the payouts coming from NRS.

I agree that if SC5 really wants to incorporate comeback mechanics that MK9 has the best out of the 3. SF4 never really needed an ultra for comebacks when it already had a super meter bar.

But SC already has two solid (and arguably the best) comeback mechanics in the form of ring outs and critical finishes. One relies on properly exploiting positioning (okay not so much with Hilde and her half screen carry) and the other careful consistent offense. Deliberate planned out scenarios instead of a single reversal move with invincibility frames/hyper armor.

SAB CA said:
Seig and Sophi's Son look awesome. Hope Seig's english voice is still Crispin Freeman! :lol:

He isn't Siegfried's son. Siegfried and Sophitia have never been romantically linked in the franchise. It's Ivy that seems to be his canonical love interest; re-inforced by all the dreaded fan-fiction that's out there.

Dead Man

Acquiescence said:
He isn't Siegfried's son. Siegfried and Sophitia have never been romantically linked in the franchise. It's Ivy that seems to be his canonical love interest; re-inforced by all the dreaded fan-fiction that's out there.
I think they meant Siegfried looks great, and Sopitias son looks great.

RedSwirl

Acquiescence said:

I think what he meant and Siegfried, and then Sophitia's son.

...and I've only seen one piece of official art linking Ivy to Siegfried. Anything else on that?

TreIII

hikarutilmitt said:
It's odd because I don't really care for 8WR in any of the 3D fighters that I play. I think a good evasion mechanic like in VF or a better version of Tekken's would work better, IMO.

Also, weapon breaking, so long as they did it in a logical sense instead of just an arbitrary meter that goes boom when you guard/Soul Crush too much would be fine.

There were a LOT of things changed from SE to SC that contribute to my liking SC as a game, but still preferring the way SE plays. Some of them were the single player (the way EMM worked was outstanding in SE) others were just stylistic changes.

Oh oh, maybe we can get another Khan Super Sessions soundtrack?

See, I love 8WR in the original SC. SC2 made things perhaps "too good", and everything else afterward was perhaps too stilted. But in the original game, it was practically perfect. So I could definitely stand to see something closer to what the original game had (c'mon Odashima, you know what's best!).

Any way, the reason I hated weapon breaking back then is for the same reason I hated soul crushing in SC4. It did more to punish good defense than anything else. And in this day and age, if they put something like that in there, they would like throw in some lame come back mechanic to try and "balance" it out. No thank you. Ring outs are the ONLY "equalizer" that this series has ever needed.

But yeah, EMM was something awesome. Hope they DO bring that much back from SE.

Skilletor

Kimosabae said:
Yeah, it's debatable, but I hate slow games. For me, when it comes to a fighting engine; faster = better.

I don't mean movement speed, I mean implementation. 8WR was too strong in SC2 because it was far too effective. That, combined with 2G just made it stupid. I prefer SC2's speed, as well.

Kimosabae

Banned
sleepykyo said:
MK9 has a thriving competitive community? I'd wait until a month after Evo on that one. There has a been a lot of hype but that has been mostly been generated by the Capcom crowd propping it up and the payouts coming from NRS.

I never knew Tom Brady, Perfect Legend and Krazie Bone were considered part of the Capcom crowd? You have to understand, there's a lot of known SF heads that played MK games prior to SF. LI Joe and Chris G come to mind. MK had an established competitive community many years ago, it was just relatively niche.

But you're right, it's too early to say anything for certain, but as long as interest in the game remains positive, I see no reason to be cynical about the game's competitive prospects, unless you're a hater.

But SC already has two solid (and arguably the best) comeback mechanics in the form of ring outs and critical finishes. One relies on properly exploiting positioning (okay not so much with Hilde and her half screen carry) and the other careful consistent offense. Deliberate planned out scenarios instead of a single reversal move with invincibility frames/hyper armor.

I also hated Critical Finishers. Not the concept itself, as much as the execution. I hate any mechanic that wrestles control from the player: which means I hate cutscenes in fighting games. If they were tweaked to be more dynamic and less tacky in presentation (no silly close up and darkening of the background with FATALITY style presentation) I could get behind it.

I'd prefer it just not be there though :p

Roto13

I hope Ivy can control her sagging boobs with her mind, the way she controls her sword. She can use them for elaborate "kick" attacks.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
twinturbo2 said:
Guys, Sophie has a daughter, too. Will she be in the game?

Glancing at the wiki for both kids, I'd say almost certainly.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Nils said:
Glancing at the wiki for both kids, I'd say almost certainly.
I hope so, that would be at least one hot piece of ass, if her mom is any indication.

Will wait and see how Amy and Talim grow up, too.

sleepykyo

Roto13 said:
I hope Ivy can control her sagging boobs with her mind, the way she controls her sword. She can use them for elaborate "kick" attacks.

Oh please, as another poster noted, she'll probably be kept in her current state by her living Soul Edge based sword.

edit: Also without Critical Finishes, expect to see a lot more of the old SC2 step guard fests.

scosher

Skilletor said:

I loved SC4, but I preferred the stepping speed in SC2. The only way to replicate that in SC4 is to get the "Side Step Up" attribute, but no one really bothers with special versus.

I'm hoping they dump armor breaks (don't mind Soul Crushes and Critical Finishes though...I like mechanics that promote offensive play).

Nome

I hope they at least keep Sophitia. I'm going to miss the Greek motifs she had going on. Her character designs were always nice because they were simple yet highly distinctive.

LiK

Casval said:
I hope they at least keep Sophitia. I'm going to miss the Greek motifs she had going on. Her character designs were always nice because they were simple yet highly distinctive.
She also has one of the best grab moves in the game. ;)

Sectus

Casval said:
42 years old. I don't think I need to say more. Unless they randomly decided she isn't aging, I seriously doubt they'll include her. Same with most of the female characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom