• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: Vengeance |OT| - The gods are ready to spread the cheeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking Ashur. That mothfucka is too smart.

I saw almost expected Qrixus to pull that out at the last minute there. Then I was greatly relieved when Ashur just knocked him out. So we know he's still alive, though who knows for how long when Lawless gets first glimpse of him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Holy shit! I really thought Ashur was going to kill Crixus for a second, but he's too fucking clever to just kill him in the salt mines. While Spartacus and Naevia (Rihanna?) were watching, he positioned the sword as if he meant to slice Crixus's throat, but the moment Sparty and Naevia ran off, he just knocked him out. I wonder what his plans are...

I wonder if the girl that plays Seppia intentionally chose the...very over the top acting style she exhibits on the show, or if that's how she acts in all her work? It's pretty bad, but also kinda fitting somehow.

DieH@rd

Banned
Death of historical Crixys was so bad ass, hopefully TV show will show it [and the bloody aftermath after his death].

Rur0ni

Ashur is a layered character with motivations no less authentic than those of anyone else in the show. When he started his career as a gladiator, he earnestly desired glory in the arena. It was Batiatus's scheming that forced Ashur down a lower road into the orchard of disgrace. Ashur's wits allowed him to make the best of a grim situation by embracing a role that was chosen for him against his wishes. With his own cunning he transmuted humiliation's bitter fruit into a means of personal vindication, venom potent enough to burn out every eye that spited him.

It's a guilty thrill to watch Ashur slither among the carnivores who would gobble him whole, angling his syringe as best to inflict the sharpest agony. He has a mammoth ego but it's brittle as an eggshell. You can see this sensitivity register on his face whenever he's insulted, a glimpse of the flayed man under the smarmy mask. I expect great things from him this season.
Great post.

Zzoram

Gannicus was forced into having sex with Oenomaus' wife, Ashur said as much during the interrogation so Oenomaus has the context at least.

That said, Oenomaus probably won't accept it even if it was something forced on them.

Gannicus was forced into having sex with Oenomaus' wife, Ashur said as much during the interrogation so Oenomaus has the context at least.

That said, Oenomaus probably won't accept it even if it was something forced on them.
I think the much deeper wound there is Ashur's statement that she only died because she went back for seconds with Gannicus.

Enosh

yeah he was forced
for the first time
it's kinda shady after that

Mifune

Mehmber
This last episode was unreal. I think Spartacus might be the best show airing on TV right now, no joke.

Anyway, I guess I should go back and finish up Gods of the Arena. Could not get into it at all when it aired.

dalin80

Banned
Genuinely surprised by how many are complaining about historical spoilers, really thought most already new the story as it has been presented in a fair few ways of over the years and is (well i though it was) pretty well known.

GeoramA

Loved this episode. Loved Ashur, best villain on TV :D

I'm completely sold on Liam as Spartacus now, with him bitchslapping Agron. That was awesome.

Magnus

Ashur's alriiiiight. I don't understand what he did that was so fantastic to gain such magnanimous praise in this thread. Show's had better/more interesting villains and TV at large has had countless more.

Ashur's alriiiiight. I don't understand what he did that was so fantastic to gain such magnanimous praise in this thread. Show's had better/more interesting villains and TV at large has had countless more.

Agreed. I don't mind Ashur but he aint even a Batiatus.

Al-ibn Kermit

Ashur is like a smarter Batiatus but with no swag.

Despite the fact that he's just a slave and that pretty much everybody dislikes him, he still may end up being the most capable evil character on this show.

oktarb

I think I've come to love him for a couple of reasons. First he's got a great evil, happy shit eating grin when something does go right. He's actually hardcore but doesn't always realize how hardcore he is. He gets his hands dirty, actually kills people and transforms from a insidious snake to a tiger wielding his gladiator skills. He's smart. With one slip he can calculate depths and reverse the situation.

Like a good evil character he doesn't think he's evil. He hates the other gladiators for their mocking and his lost dream of glory. One could ask what's so evil about him? He was mocked after being badly hurt. Served his master extremely well and never truly rewarded. When he resurfaces instead of being looked at as a valuable survivor he is again treated like a slave (which he is). Who has he really betrayed? Everyone I can think of was an outright enemy. he doesn't have friends.

He's a survivor trying to change his plight. And he's pissed at those that mock or keep him down.

Kinyou

Does anyone else wonder why they're still fighting int speedos? I mean I could understand why they wouldn't wear full roman uniforms but they could at least wear some parts

are we allowed to talk about this leaked episode?
iirc, it might be in violation the TOS to illegally download content and discuss it on GAF, so talk about it at your own risk. It's happened before and people aren't usually banned, but I'm not sure what the official policy is. If you do decide to discuss it, please label and tag your spoilers appropriately until the episode airs on Starz tomorrow evening. (e.g. Episode 4 spoilers:
put spoilers here
)

DieH@rd

Banned
historical spoiler:
everyone that was involved in spartacus' rebelion has died ~2000 years ago :)

I really hope that they will stay true to some of the historical events, cos they are pretty bad ass.

FGMPR

Banned
Considering all the fucked-up evil shit that Spartacus and his rebels were responsible for in real-life, I'm not sure how accurately they will be following the history books anyhow. It just doesn't fit how they have portrayed him in the show.

This season really got into its groove with this episode, and judging by the preview of next week's episode it's going to continue to get better. I can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom