• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: Vengeance |OT| - The gods are ready to spread the cheeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Man, what I'd give for simultaneous airing in Canada. This two days later shit is for the birds.

Who or what is HBK? Heartbreak Kid, because Gannicus looks like Shawn Michaels? Say it isn't so, lol.

Man, what I'd give for simultaneous airing in Canada. This two days later shit is for the birds.

Who or what is HBK? Heartbreak Kid, because Gannicus looks like Shawn Michaels? Say it isn't so, lol.

Scroll couple of pages

But yes someone posted he looks like HBK

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Good episode overall.

I have to agree with most here in my dislike of New Navea. Not feeling her at all...

Shit is about to get fucking REAL in the next episode too. Can't. Wait.

MrHicks

Banned
kinda sad this is a historic show because you know in the end the romans will win :(
depressing really cause you start to like these guys

AiTM

Banned
kinda sad this is a historic show because you know in the end the romans will win :(
depressing really cause you start to like these guys

well, slavery is illegal now, and the Roman empire fell...so in the end Spartacus won!

Also finally settling into the new Spartacus. I still watch his scenes and think how utterly awesome they would be were Andy doing them, but he is coming into his own.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
You guys need to spoiler tag historical information. Not everyone knows the story of Spartacus, as wild as that may seem to you.

Please be considerate.

Recon

Banned
"the romans win in the end" can't be a spoiler
CAN it?
lets not go overboard

No, it isnt. Some people are a bit ridiculous with what they consider spoilers. Individual events like when people die should be considered spoilers, not something as historical as the slaves being beat. I mean, do people really think a band of slaves over throw the roman empire?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I'm saying it for general purposes. Not for that specific fact.

Historical character spoilers have happened recently. People have been really loose lately with that shit.

Just be careful and considerate.

Al-ibn Kermit

It's worth keeping in mind that Ashur can still really fuck over the slaves once he reconnects with Glaber's remaining men as he can probably figure out what direction Spartacus is moving towards. If it turns out that Ashur and Tiberius are really brothers, then I wonder if that would make Ashur do anything differently? I doubt it would considering how he literally fucked over his Syrian buddy in GotA.

I also feel like there's no way both Glaber and Illythia survive this season. Perhaps Veronius will brag about fingering Illythia once news comes that Glaber's men were single handedly slaughtered by Spartacus. I could see Illythia's father still refusing to dissolve the marriage, and possibly that would push Lucretia to murdering him and then pointing the blame at Glaber. Obviously she has experience with that type of thing.

The lack of Andy doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would since the Spartacus character isn't so central to everything in the show now. All the other characters and plotlines are getting plenty of attention. I think Illythia actually had more lines in this episode than Spartacus lol.

Anyways, it's hard to believe that we're not even halfway through the season. One of the best things about this this show is how little filler there is.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'm actually missing Navea's previous actress this season more so than Andy.... did not see that coming. o_O

Same; I just hate the way Naevia is currently portrayed--really want her to die. Her facial expressions are annoying; every time I think she's supposed to be calm or sad, she appears possessed by a demon??? Just puts me off.

Liam on the other hand has tackled the role very well. Like others have said, I can't help but think how Andy would have acted or delivered scenes, but so far Liam has been great. The one thing I don't understand is the lack of fight scenes for Spartacus, he had a couple in this episode but they were quick, and the camera angles/cuts hid much of the fighting. Seems almost like the creators can't rely on Liam as much compared to Andy for the action packed fight scenes? Who knows?

The one thing I don't understand is the lack of fight scenes for Spartacus, he had a couple in this episode but they were quick, and the camera angles/cuts hid much of the fighting. Seems almost like the creators can't rely on Liam as much compared to Andy for the action packed fight scenes? Who knows?

I just think it's more that these guys aren't in the arena, and aren't putting on a show for the crowd anymore. They're fighting to be efficient. Quick kills are the name of the game, and the editing/choreography reflects that. I'm sure we'll still get a big showdown with Spartacus against someone.

And yeah, this week's ep was another good one. Lots of pieces moving into position.

Same; I just hate the way Naevia is currently portrayed--really want her to die. Her facial expressions are annoying; every time I think she's supposed to be calm or sad, she appears possessed by a demon??? Just puts me off.
People who just survived a couple of months in the mines cant even keep their emotions in check? What is up with that!?

Joni

Following this episode, does this mean all of Crixus's
followers are dead?
There is still his second in command with him, but I suspect he'll be killed if Doctore and Crixus manage to break out. I'm suspecting they'll just act like Spartacus and kill everyone that the Arena sends at them. (Really, how can it be considered a good idea to send them to be killed in the arena when the entire series started with sending one badly trained soldier to the arena. Now they're sending his best two fighters to the arena together.)

Anybody have a preview for episode 5?

Anybody have a preview for episode 5?
I took a quick look on youtube and the Starz site, but I don't think it's been uploaded yet. Someone will probably get it up later today.

In the meantime, here's the logline:
Spartacus leads a bold mission to free Crixus from Roman captivity, but a storied gladiator from the House of Batiatus complicates matters. Ilithyia’s scheming puts her marriage to Glaber at risk.
There are some pictures up up on the Starz website, too.

As always, please spoiler tag discussion of promo material for episodes that haven't aired yet. Thanks.

C2dnQ.gif

Drazgul

Plus the original actress was way hotter, too. :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The stuff in the forest was a little drawn out, but the stuff at Batiatus's house was really good. Illythia sure isn't making any new friends with her super obvious scheming. I'm betting that she'll bite the dust before the season ends.

The scene where the Romans are alternatively cutting pieces off that guy was brutal!

And the award for best kill goes to...

Clipjoint

Not feeling the new Spartacus, sad to say. Whitfield just had something extra the new guy is lacking. Depending on the size of the role, I really think Gannicus may outshine Spartacus because he's a more charismatic actor. Everyone else is still fantastic. I would let Ilythia do evil, evil things to me.

fanboi

Banned
Not feeling the new Spartacus, sad to say. Whitfield just had something extra the new guy is lacking. Depending on the size of the role, I really think Gannicus may outshine Spartacus because he's a more charismatic actor. Everyone else is still fantastic. I would let Ilythia do evil, evil things to me.

Agreed... but he growned this ep...

But Andy... what a mancrush I had...

Clipjoint

I think the mistake was going for an actor that looked like Whitfield, rather than just finding the best possible actor for the role. He's just lacking the grandiose charisma in the scenes where he's supposed to be seen as a leader, and the introspective humility needed for the scenes with Mira or Crixus. I hope he proves me wrong as the season unfolds (it took Whitfield 5 episodes to grow into the role) but so far that's my biggest disappointment with the season.

Derwind

Just watched the Empty Hands episode....

Well Crixus & Oenomaus are going back to the basics, it's going to be interesting... I doubt they'll just roll over and die... they'll probably frustrate the hell out of Varinius who got them in the ring in the first place..

The way that gladiator rebel was slowly killed at the party was gruesome...

The ending was great!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It's charm. This new guy does the stoic hero thing fine but Andy brought some real charm/charisma to the role that this new guy is missing.

Moaradin

New Spartacus is a much better actor. I remember the cringeworthy yells Andy was doing early on in the season. I still would have rather kept Andy (his acting got a lot better in the end so it would be nice to see his progress) and the actor who played Naevia, for continuity and all, but I don't hate the new guy at all.

Just about everything in this show has improved incredibly since the beginning but the action has been gradually slipping in the other direction. They've gone way too far with the "shaky-cam," quick cuts, speed ramping, fake zooms and general 300-ness. Fights in the first season were so much better.

It's really too bad they Don Cheadled Navia, just as I was starting to get used to New Spartacus that extra bit of weirdness is introduced.

Zeliard

I think the mistake was going for an actor that looked like Whitfield, rather than just finding the best possible actor for the role. He's just lacking the grandiose charisma in the scenes where he's supposed to be seen as a leader, and the introspective humility needed for the scenes with Mira or Crixus. I hope he proves me wrong as the season unfolds (it took Whitfield 5 episodes to grow into the role) but so far that's my biggest disappointment with the season.

Couldn't agree more. The actor is just bland, and I don't think the writing is necessarily the issue. He comes across like one of those random background redshirts who should have been part of the gladiator group, not Spartacus himself. He just doesn't carry that sort of screen presence and his dialogue delivery does nothing for me.

I mean compare him to Gannicus, Oenomaus, Ashur, and especially Crixus. The Spartacus character is fairly stoic relative to those guys but McIntyre just feels unconvincing.

Dennis

Banned
Glaber was really a weak villain in the first season but I think his extra screen time has markedly improved the character.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I find it really odd that they even bothered to change Navia's actress, I mean they had the perfect out to kill her character off altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom