• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: Vengeance |OT| - The gods are ready to spread the cheeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

I fucking hate Ashur, but love Glaber. I don't know how that works. Maybe because he actually has an ounce of honor in him. Well deserved payback.

Its a curious thing that I founded myself rooting for Glabber last night but given how everyone was seeking to screw him I am glad he ended up on top.

Zeliard

They did the classic thing with Gaius Glaber where they made everyone around him so vile that he seems vaguely decent simply by contrast.

Dysun

One of the best episodes of Spartacus ever, it rivals the season 1 and GOTA finales.

I didnt even notice the terrible CGI on first viewing because I was so enthralled by everything.

Glaber finally looks like a convincing "big bad" for the season as well

Ripclawe

Banned
I can forgive the poor CG with the magnitude that is happening.

Looks like that is it for gladiator games in Capua. Time for Rome

yep Capua is over.

“I am for wine. And the embrace of questionable women."

Fucking Gannicus with the awesome ass line.

I think I found my new life motto

Plus as much as I like Liam, Gannicus in his short screen time showed more gravitas.

As for Glaber, all he is doing is his job and trying to advance his career while his wife, father in law, rival are openly in his face working against him. How can you not root for him.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Gannicus is such a handsome man, good god.
I think I'm cute.
I know I'm sexy.
I've got the looks,
That drive the girls wild
I've got the moves, that really move 'em.
I send chills up.
Up and down their spines.

I'm just a sexy boy.
I fucking hate Ashur, but love Glaber. I don't know how that works. Maybe because he actually has an ounce of honor in him. Well deserved payback.
lol Honor? Glaber? Do you remember what that piece of shit did in the first episode of B&S? He even had a reputation amongst his own colleagues of being a prick long before this story was even set in motion.

Can't wait till that fucker kicks the bucket. But since I like his character I want it to be glorious.
They did the classic thing with Gaius Glaber where they made everyone around him so vile that he seems vaguely decent simply by contrast.
Absolutely nailed it.

Wray

What a great episode.

So glad Gannicus is back. "I am for wine. And the embrace of questionable women." Indeed!

He's going to give Team Spartacus that much needed charisma that Team Rome had in buckets. Speaking of which, I cant wait to see what Ilithyia is going to do now. With her father dead, she's pretty much at Glabers mercy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was quite a good episode. The ending, even with the horrid CGI, was incredibly thrilling. I thought that Agron and Crixus were going to die at several different moments, which I think is a testament to the show's ability to make the the danger feel real. Outside of Spartacus, it feels like pretty much anyone else could die at any moment.

Also, Illythia is so so so fucked. She prematurely spilled the beans to Glabber, Luctretia is out to get her, and Varinius is no longer interested because her father is dead and can't break her marriage! lol

loooooool

The only thing that might "save" her now, is if Spartacus is the father of her baby.

oh yeah that was disgusting how they got in

That place where they cut up the dead gladiators was nasty. DAT INTESTINE.

Seriously, that place was so disgusting! Do they just throw the entrails into the sewer or something?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What a great episode.

So glad Gannicus is back. "I am for wine. And the embrace of questionable women." Indeed!

He's going to give Team Spartacus that much needed charisma that Team Rome had in buckets. Speaking of which, I cant wait to see what Ilithyia is going to do now. With her father dead, she's pretty much at Glabers mercy.

Yea all the stonefaced stoicism on team Spartacus was started to be a bit of a drag, Gannicus is going to really help.

He was amazing in Gods of the Arena so I'm expecting big things here.

Really? Episode 2 and 3 were some of the best in the series. Period. Combine that with tonights episode, and that's three A/A+ episodes out of 5. I'd hardly call that lost.

You can't expect every episode to have the quality of a series finale like last night. GoTA and B&S didn't even have that standard.

You are in the vast minority in this thinking. This season has been crap compared to the lat 8 episodes of the first season. Last night changed that.

Clevinger

You are in the vast minority in this thinking. This season has been crap compared to the lat 8 episodes of the first season. Last night changed that.

No, it hasn't. And the first season took a while to get going/good as well. It was actually much worse in that regard.

Spartacus doesn't have his wife thanks to Glaber. That fuck can swing in the wind from his balls. His wife may be a bigger bitch than him, but that don't mean his shit don't stink too.

He's good to hate though. So is his wife.

No, it hasn't. And the first season took a while to get going/good as well. It was actually much worse in that regard.

We'll agree to disagree. The show is still realing from the loss of Batiatus as a main character. Last night was the first episode where he didn't feel missed. Plus, having a new Naivia that most feel so far hasn't lived up to the original (I think she will eventually) and a Spartacus replacement that, though adequate, isn't on par with the original yet.

To me, the season has been below average until last night. It'd be nice to start a poll and find out who agrees though.

royalan

So far for me this season has been "Ok" until last night's great episode.

Then again, my favorite season of the show is still the prequel, which I think puts me in a minority group...

There is a trend the writers follow where those motivated by love [triangle] demonstrate the most gripping drama and character development. We saw this with Lucretia and Spartacus in Blood and Sand, and we saw it once more with Gannicus in Gods of the Arena.

In this season, without his wife, Spartacus' development and intrigue has paled in comparison to that of Crixus, Glabber and Ilithyia who have all overshadowed what was meant to be the main character. With the introduction of Gannicus and Dotore, again a love triangle playing the central tenet, I fear Spartacus may be an afterthought for the writers right now but I'm not complaining - this is brilliant to watch.

There is a trend the writers follow where those motivated by love [triangle] demonstrate the most gripping drama and character development. We saw this with Lucretia and Spartacus in Blood and Sand, and we saw it once more with Gannicus in Gods of the Arena.

In this season, without his wife, Spartacus' development and intrigue has paled in comparison to that of Crixus, Glabber and Ilithyia who have all overshadowed what was meant to be the main character. With the introduction of Gannicus and Dotore, again a love triangle playing the central tenet, I fear Spartacus may be an afterthought for the writers right now but I'm not complaining - this is brilliant to watch.

They haven't even introduced the SAXA character yet. Afterthought might be the appropriate word to describe Spartacus.

Recon

Banned

With the loss of Andy, I am ok with Spartacus becoming a less prominent character. I rather see Gannicus and Crixus.

Crixus is my favourite character so far. You just don't know what to expect from him. I've noticed he and Spartacus have become incredibly close this season in contrast to when they met. I wonder if we'll see Crixus forced to choose between Neavia and his brother who has risked everything for him.

We'll agree to disagree. The show is still realing from the loss of Batiatus as a main character. Last night was the first episode where he didn't feel missed. Plus, having a new Naivia that most feel so far hasn't lived up to the original (I think she will eventually) and a Spartacus replacement that, though adequate, isn't on par with the original yet.

To me, the season has been below average until last night. It'd be nice to start a poll and find out who agrees though.

Very few I'd wager. The season on the whole has delivered in spades. The quality bar has generally been as high as S2.

I just think you miss Batiatus. Which is understandable.

Recon

Banned
I dont miss Batiatus at all. He was great for two seasons, but more would of felt forced and the writers are making Glabor feel like the same conniving asshole that Batiatus was. It is quite obvious they are making him into Batiatus 2.0. I dont know how to feel about that yet.

Recon

Banned
There's nothing to disagree on. You're wrong, and that's a fact.

Reread this thread. The vast majority of people here have thought this season has been awesome so far. Especially episodes 2,3 and 5.

Oh please. I have enjoyed this season but saying he is wrong because a majority think otherwise is quite laughable. His opinion on this season is as valid as anyone else.

Wray

Oh please. I have enjoyed this season but saying he is wrong because a majority think otherwise is quite laughable. His opinion on this season is as valid as anyone else.

He's wrong because he said he said a vast majority of people think the way he does toward the season. That's factually wrong, at least as far as this thread goes. A simple reread of this thread proves that.

Recon

Banned
He's wrong because he said he said a vast majority of people think the way he does toward the season. That's factually wrong, at least as far as this thread goes. A simple reread of this thread proves that.

He could have a bunch of people he knows that feel the way he does. This thread isnt everything.

pgtl_10

Okay, best episode of the series for me. Even the season 1 finale can't measure up to this in my book. And Glaber is now top notch. Too bad nobody has said anything about the possibility that Spartacus is the father of Ilythea's baby.

Wow I never though...

Al-ibn Kermit

I think that was the best episode of the series since the season 1 finale. Just fucking wow.

The whole time Mira and the other slaves were setting the fires, I was wondering how they planned to do that without hurting the audience. They obviously aren't planning on letting dozens/hundreds of Romans die in a fire....

..yeah, so now Spartacus and his group will become a much bigger target than they were previously. So many regular citizens as well as a few high-ranking politicians died in this fire. I think the second half of the season is going to be a lot more violent.

The interesting thing is that for Glaber, this whole thing is actually a net positive. His father-in-law is dead so his wife can't leave him. The arena demolition will give Glaber unlimited resources to go after Spartacus. And maybe, just possibly he will learn that Lucretia isn't exactly blessed by the gods.

You can tell that Illythia is going to be in deep shit. I just can't imagine what she's going to do now. Most likely, the baby does not even belong to Spartacus since there's no way to prove who the real father is in those days. The thing about this show is that there are no baby/child characters since that would get really weird. Either Illythia will die by the end or she'll somehow abort/miscarry.

I'm leaning towards the latter.

I think Varineus and Oenamaeus will fall this season.

Yes, Varineus doesn't have many friends left and he's really unlikable so he's gonna go down.

Oenamaeus is awesome though and it doesn't make sense to have Gannicus around without him as there wouldn't be a love triangle conflict anymore. I think gradually Oenamaeus will cool down.

Argon has been giving shifty eyes lately. I expect betrayal and an act of redemption from him

tumblr_lzmex7LUzn1qkc8gxo3_500.png

Gibbo

This fucking show. Wow. The latest episode is almost up there with the Season 1 finale I think .

How are the ratings for the show? I've been trying to get my friends to watch this - but most have downplayed as a bad 300 ripoff. Their loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom