• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2017 is going to be the biggest independent film ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

ZuUrBBS.jpg

You can now read about how Tom Holland got his role as Peter Parker at The Daily Beast.

Some of the more interesting quotes I found from that article were these.

It’s not The Dark Knight,” he says. “One of the special things about what we’re going to try and create is that you’re going to see the biggest independent film ever. It’s not going to be an epic thing; it’s going to be a film surrounded by these incredible things, but that follows this boy and his life. Peter Parker is a favorite of many because everyone can relate to him, and we’re going to try to make everyone relate to our Peter Parker. And John Hughes is a perfect example of what we’re going to try and do.

“We had to do a movement test and then I said, ‘Can I just demonstrate some of the things that I can do?’ and they all were a little unsure of what I was talking about, and then I did a series of backflips and landed on the X, and was like, ‘Thank you!’ and then just left.”

He first did five self-tapes and then had two auditions; one with Robert Downey Jr. and another with Chris Evans which is were he showed off his moves. He did the self tapes with - among others - John Bernthal who is the Punisher on Daredevil. He also learned that he were cast as Spider-Man the same way as everyone else, online.

Salsa

fucking LMAO what

call it a character study or something

people using the term "independent" to describe a kind of film smh

I guess it gets across but it's hilarious in context with Disney

Pachimari

It's not actually gonna be an independent film, it's just a saying, a way of describing how it's going to be in broad strokes.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I like the idea of someone doing a series of backflips, saying thank you and then just leaving.

They cast the right person.

I think by independent film they're saying its not going to be part of a set series, but a standalone. At least, that's my take from it.

Loxley

One of the most common things I've heard actors say regarding news about films they're apart of, is that they are always the last people to find out anything. So it's no surprise Holland found out about his casting by reading it online.

Still though, that's pretty damn hilarious.

They pulled the same shit with Ruffalo, IIRC. They basically told him to look for a car at his house on the day of Comic-Con. If it was there, he got it.

Also now I've got a mental image of a totally HAMMERED Chris Evans drunkenly telling Tom to DO A FLIP ON DAH THING

Salsa

best bit about this whole thing is him screen testing with The Punisher

im ready for them to bring the Netflix cast in somehow

tho I really think it aint gonna happen for a long time

Pachimari

I think by independent film they're saying its not going to be part of a set series, but a standalone. At least, that's my take from it.

Well, he follows it up with:

it’s going to be a film surrounded by these incredible things, but that follows this boy and his life. Peter Parker is a favorite of many because everyone can relate to him, and we’re going to try to make everyone relate to our Peter Parker. And John Hughes is a perfect example of what we’re going to try and do.”

I just think he means it's gonna be a more grounded take following this boy and his everyday life. Rather than this big epic blockbuster with lots of fighting against huge villains. I don't know.

Here's hoping it evokes 500 Days of Summer.
Me too. That's what I wanted from Amazing Spider-Man.

Salsa

there's absolutely 0 chance of him not fighting a big CG villain

John Hughes gets thrown around a lot and I get it and that's fine. Raimi walked that line perfectly and whatever recalls to that im totally down with.

Quick

Banned
Having Marvel Studios AND Sony involved is the complete opposite of "independent film."

Seems like he's referring to the tone of the movie, rather than the production. Jon Watts hasn't directed anything big, and the writers are new to the MCU.

Loxley

there's absolutely 0 chance of him not fighting a big CG villain

John Hughes gets thrown around a lot and I get it and that's fine. Raimi walked that line perfectly and whatever recalls to that im totally down with.

Unless he fights Kraven, which I thought I remembered hearing rumors about a few months back.

Though I could be pulling that out of my ass.

Pachimari

In other Tom Holland news, he has now revealed, that he don't know what Captain America: Civil War is about - he were actually only on set for 1-2 weeks.

So they offered for me to read the script, and I said ‘No, I don’t want to read it, because I’ll be doing all these interviews and I’ll end up telling secrets and stuff. I’ve got such a big mouth.’ So I actually don’t know what it’s about. I’m going to watch this film as an audience member, rather than someone who is in it. I’ll be like, ‘I wonder what my bits are about?'"

He's swell at those back flips:

"Any opportunity I got, I was just doing back flips and stuff to try to convince them. Like, ‘Look Marvel! I’m a gymnast! Please give me the role! I’m so close to sticking to walls now!’"

Much more at Entertainment Weekly.

Afrodium

Banned
I don't know what he means by independent. I would think he means solo movie, but that doesn't work with the phrase "it's not going to be an epic thing". Is he saying it will somehow have the tone of an indie flick with a Hollywood budget?

Pachimari

I don't know what he means by independent. I would think he means solo movie, but that doesn't work with the phrase "it's not going to be an epic thing". Is he saying it will somehow have the tone of an indie flick with a Hollywood budget?

Yes. He's describing the tone of the movie. It's not the actual production.

Kevinroc

I'm hoping these new films can get the horrible taste of the Amazing films out of my head. I really hated those films.

Him reading with Bernthal is pretty great, considering Punisher debuted in Spider-Man. I doubt they'd actually put him in the movie, though.

Pachimari

Tom Holland is growing on me slowly. I really hope they focus on his core group of school friends, like Flash, Mary Jane, Harry, Liss etc.

Johndoey

Banned
They pulled the same shit with Ruffalo, IIRC. They basically told him to look for a car at his house on the day of Comic-Con. If it was there, he got it.

Also now I've got a mental image of a totally HAMMERED Chris Evans drunkenly telling Tom to DO A FLIP ON DAH THING
"Kid hey kid do that flip I like, yeah just like that... slower this time, yeah"

The word independent scares me. Sometimes independent movies are great, but there are so many bad ones with names like "Zombie Vampire Lesbians From Deep Outer Space."

Saya

They already said the first villain has never been in film before.

So an indie rom-com featuring Mysterio, hopefully.

Oh really? So that will rule out The Green Goblin, Electro, Doc Ock, Venom, Lizard, and Sandman.

I guess Mysterio or Vulture. Kraven would be cool, but it seems too soon?

Fury451

Banned
Remember Jeff Bridges saying that he felt Iron Man was a big budget indie film in the way that it was made, and that turned out good. So bring it on.

Kevinroc

Oh really? So that will rule out The Green Goblin, Electro, Doc Ock, Venom, Lizard, and Sandman.

I guess Mysterio or Vulture. Kraven would be cool, but it seems too soon?

http://screenrant.com/spider-man-reboot-2017-new-villain-john-hughes/

“Right now we’re interested in seeing villains we haven’t seen before.”

That was Feige's quote. That doesn't mean we couldn't see Doc Ock or Green Goblin again in the future. But I would love to see some of the underappreciated villains get their time in the spotlight.

I could see them going for Chameleon since he was the villain of the first issue of Amazing Spider-Man. But I really want to see Mysterio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom