• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2017 is going to be the biggest independent film ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
what?

aren't the Star Wars films the biggest independent films of all time?

also didn't they try (and fail miserably) with the whole indie schtick with webb, who was brought on board with 500 days of summer as his entire resume

Exactly, kids talking shit. It was just poorly worded, I think he means they're going for more of a 80s teen movie vibe

Dunno about this one. Marvel studios, writers of vacation and horrible bosses, random director. Only thing I'm on board with so far is the casting

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Can we just get JK Simmons back as Jonah? That's all I ask...

dQ8fJQD.gif

The man was perfection as JJJ.

When they say think John Hughes, they mean, imagine a Spider-Man movie directed by John Hughes.

It's obviously gonna be a modern day Breakfast Club/Sixteen Candles.

It makes so much sense to have Spider-Man be the MCU Molly Ringwald.

They're probably gonna pull it off in spades. Spidey will be the new face of the MCU for sure.

Squire

Banned
The indie quote is so dumb it's not worth dignifying with a response.

Raimi pretty much did John Hughes spidey.

CloudWolf

How is this an independent movie? It's a huge license movie being funded by Disney and Sony and it's already a film in the one of the biggest modern movie franchises.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Sounds like they're aiming for a more intimate movie, instead of going ballsout. Could be interesting, considering we already had 5 Spidey vs the villain movies.

a916

Sounds like they are talking about the scope of the film. Like Ant-Man.

Ant-Man was never about some world ending villain plot. I would very much love a Spider-Man with a smaller scale along those lines. I hope it's a good villain... we've had 5 movies and only one had a good villain. Save for Green Goblin (who was alright) the rest were terrrrrrrible.

CloudWolf

Sounds like they are talking about the scope of the film. Like Ant-Man.

Ant-Man was never about some world ending villain plot. I would very much love a Spider-Man with a smaller scale along those lines. I hope it's a good villain... we've had 5 movies and only one had a good villain. Save for Green Goblin (who was alright) the rest were terrrrrrrible.

It was though. It was about an evil scientist working with Hydra to create an army of tiny supersoldiers to rule the world.

dabig2

Ian McKellen would like a word.

Not even he works quite as well solely due to physique. Magneto is an extremely buff old (young?) man. Meanwhile, JJ is a regular guy and so is JK Simmons. Now, Professor X/Patrick Stewart on the other hand is definitely in that realm of frame-by-frame perfect casting.

fucking LMAO what

call it a character study or something

people using the term "independent" to describe a kind of film smh

I guess it gets across but it's hilarious in context with Disney

It's like an independent film, produced and financed by Disney and Sony who probably have a combined worth of like half a trillion dollars!

Anth0ny

I kinda wish they did the origin story again just so we can get another wrestling scene. ASM dropped the fucking ball on that.

Spider-Man 2002 had

ZO1uaGn.gif

Spider-Man 2017 can have

2XykKDy.gif

I kinda wish they did the origin story again just so we can get another wrestling scene. ASM dropped the fucking ball on that.

Spider-Man 2002 had

ZO1uaGn.gif

Spider-Man 2017 can have

2XykKDy.gif

While that might be fun, everyone's tired of the origin. Same with Batman. Every time they do a franchise reboot, we have to get the origin again. One of the things that made me both wary and weary of Gotham.

With Spider-Man, it's especially bad because we've had the reboot with in what, a 10 year gap? Not counting the 6 years between the ending and beginning of both franchises. Now we're getting ANOTHER movie within 3 years from the most recent one?

We don't need a new origin. It's fresh in everyone's minds.

a916

It was though. It was about an evil scientist working with Hydra to create an army of tiny supersoldiers to rule the world.

It never got to that though. It was about Yellow Jacket (I think that was his name) and him duking it out
in the same office we've seen a few times and then back in his home.
Much much smaller in scale than the other MCU movies.

While that might be fun, everyone's tired of the origin. Same with Batman. Every time they do a franchise reboot, we have to get the origin again. One of the things that made me both wary and weary of Gotham.

With Spider-Man, it's especially bad because we've had the reboot with in what, a 10 year gap? Not counting the 6 years between the ending and beginning of both franchises. Now we're getting ANOTHER movie within 3 years from the most recent one?

We don't need a new origin. It's fresh in everyone's minds.
The cool thing is that Feige said Peter is already active and swinging around the MCU, during the current Marvel movies, so he has some experience already being a hero. How many superhero movies start after the hero is already being a hero?

Nuke Soda

Seems like one of those weird ads:

"Independent films hate him. Click here to learn his weird trick."
*Picture of new Spider-Man*

Spinluck

Exactly, kids talking shit. It was just poorly worded, I think he means they're going for more of a 80s teen movie vibe

Dunno about this one. Marvel studios, writers of vacation and horrible bosses, random director. Only thing I'm on board with so far is the casting

Besides Holland and Tomei, who's been casted for this?

The director might actually be below Mark Webb tier and the writers are a concern. I'm afraid, but I'm just gonna have to hope Marvel isn't running their best hero into the ground.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Besides Holland and Tomei, who's been casted for this?

The director might actually be below Mark Webb tier and the writers are a concern. I'm afraid, but I'm just gonna have to hope Marvel isn't running their best hero into the ground.
No one.
But jumping to conclusion is fun.

Spinluck

Have you seen any of the movies the director and writers were involved in? Do you judge every director solely on the names of the movies they've directed?

They are filmmakers, of course I judge them based off their films. What else am I to go off of? It's not like the MCU has a perfect track record. Do you not judge athletes based off their performances? Or musicians based off their music?

I haven't seen Vacation or Cop Car, but I've seen enough and heard enough to know Vacation is trash at least. It looked like a terrible We're The Millers knock off. Cop Car looks like it deserves a watch.

Could Marvel have chosen better writers and directors, absolutely. But like I said, I'm just gonna have to hope this direction they're going in gives us a good film. Because the odds aren't in the films favor.

NotLiquid

dQ8fJQD.gif

The man was perfection as JJJ.

I can see the post credits scene right now.

In the news room of an all too familiar location, writers are working around the clock to present their boss with an exclusive new scoop about a vigilante that's been making waves in the streets. A writer enters the boss' office with the female secretary right outside warning him that he's feeling exceptionally cranky today because of his nagging wife and the newspaper numbers being at an all time low. As the camera cuts to an angle of the boss reading the issue they'll be running while the writer explains what they're going for, he laments that they don't have any good pictures to run the story with.

The boss puts the newspaper down, revealing himself to be J.K fucking Simmons as Jameson, with a stern look and puffing a cigar. Cut to black.

Best Marvel end-credits stinger since Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom