• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Not a huge Marvel movie fan, but this was a perfect summer popcorn flick. Fantastic cast and it didn't drag at all despite its 2+ hour runtime.

Also holy shit I'm in love with Marisa Tomei.

border

This is everyday life in that world. Peter is just some kid who grew up watching Iron Man fly past in the distance from his bedroom window, learned about Cap and Hydra in his history books, and cited a Bruce Banner research paper for his science class essay. If we have inspirational posters with movie characters, cosplay as favorite characters, causally drop pop culture references and lines in conversation, why wouldn't people in this world do the same with the heroes that actually exist in their world?

It only feels jarring because we've never seen the MCU from this perspective before.

It's something that will work and make sense for others, but just doesn't for me. Probably because so many of the references are incredibly superfluous, and just feel like they are pandering to the people who want the films to feel really integrated into one another. I said I liked that the Vulture's origin ties into the Battle of New York, and that's probably because it's related to the plot and the origin of a major characer. By comparison, having some teenage girls talk about which Avenger they want to fuck just feels cheap and needless (not to mention kinda gross).

All the Marvel TV shows take place from "Down Looking Up" street-level heroes and characters. Are they as heavily laden with references to the rest of the MCU? I never got beyond the first 5 or 6 episodes of Agents of SHIELD, but even that show did not seem as wrought with throwaway references to established continuity.

PR_rambo

Banned
It's easily better than Raimi's films, and I loved 1 and 2 to death, big part of my childhood. I still like them, they aren't less impacting just because Homecoming ended up being better.

ZeoVGM

Banned
They did it.

They topped Spider-Man 2.

As someone who adores the character in ways I can't put into words, that was pretty much perfect. I'll have to get my thoughts together but it was absolutely amazing.

border

How many Avengers are remaining, after Civil War? Iron Man, Vision, and nobody else? It's kinda funny that Tony Stark is moving the Avengers HQ to accommodate a total of 2 people.

All the Marvel TV shows take place from "Down Looking Up" street-level heroes and characters. Are they as heavily laden with references to the rest of the MCU? I never got beyond the first 5 or 6 episodes of Agents of SHIELD, but even that show did not seem as wrought with throwaway references to established continuity.
Barely, to the point of them feeling nearly separate from the movies with different actors portraying the same characters in the movies and shows

This feels authentic and realistic to what street level MCU would really be like, similar to the comics. Compared to "the incident" and "the big green guy" of the shows

Dai101

Banned
So yeah, a fire alarm went off during my showing of this. Kinda frazzled. I'll post more when I get home. For now, random very thoughts:

Very authentic adding a bodega cat for once.

This movie makes me wish I actually went to HS in New York.

Ned is funny but fuuuuuuuuuuck Marvel for taking Miles Morales' cast away from him.

"Aren't you gonna step inside?" "I'd rather not celebrate a place built by slaves." Yeah, I can tell this is gonna be my favorite MJ on film.

How the fuck did this movie have an invisible jet but Wonder Woman didn't?

Oh hey, Space Age Love Song by A Flock of Seagulls! Love that track.

Tony & Pepper are getting married! The slowest build of all finally gets paid off.

Since 2008, LMAO.

And yes, that part with MJ WAS LIT AF

Aikidoka

I suppose my biggest complaint would actually be that everything seemed to work out too nicely. I can't really think of any negative consequences from Peter's actions.

This is an amazing movie.

Man, I don't know if I'd put it at the level of Spider-Man 2 which is the greatest comic book movie ever, but the fact that you could make a case that Homecoming competes at that level of goodness is a testament to the quality of this film.

I suppose my biggest complaint would actually be that everything seemed to work out too nicely. I can't really think of any negative consequences from Peter's actions.

He inflicted enormous emotional pain to a girl she liked

Neoxon

So yeah, a fire alarm went off during my showing of this. Kinda frazzled. I'll post more when I get home. For now, random very thoughts:

Very authentic adding a bodega cat for once.

This movie makes me wish I actually went to HS in New York.

Ned is funny but fuuuuuuuuuuck Marvel for taking Miles Morales' cast away from him.

"Aren't you gonna step inside?" "I'd rather not celebrate a place built by slaves." Yeah, I can tell this is gonna be my favorite MJ on film.

How the fuck did this movie have an invisible jet but Wonder Woman didn't?

Oh hey, Space Age Love Song by A Flock of Seagulls! Love that track.

Tony & Pepper are getting married! The slowest build of all finally gets paid off.
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f5134336c4f474e47705f525663413d3d2d3238303632303134352e313435656439373130656338356637303131373336363036333834312e676966

We got Dong Lover as the god damn PROWLER UP IN THIS BITCH.

AND HE MENTIONED MILES.

SHIT WAS DOPPPPPEEEEEE

This was damn near a straight up comedy and I loved every moment.

better than I was expecting which wasn't much after the Garfield movies effectively killed the character

but aint shit on Spiderman 1 and 2

Peter had like no obvious wounds on him in this movie and he was taking a lot of hits but he had a black eye in civil war and was momentarily knocked out by Lang. Would have liked to see a bruise or two on him.

AND HE MENTIONED MILES.

SHIT WAS DOPPPPPEEEEEE

I must have missed both the Prowler and Miles bit.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Peter had like no obvious wounds on him in this movie and he was taking a lot of hits but he had a black eye in civil war and was momentarily knocked out by Lang. Would have liked to see a bruise or two on him.

He got some blood on his face after his final fight with the Vulture.

I feel like saying this "ain't shit" on the original Spider-Man is pure nostalgia at this point.

This is absolutely better than either of those two, if for no other reason than there's nothing as patently fucking stupid as the jingoistic nonsense of 1 or the train sequence in 2.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

AND HE MENTIONED MILES.

SHIT WAS DOPPPPPEEEEEE

Ohhh shiiit, I totally missed that.

They said his name was Aaron Davis, and for a split second I thought "was that Miles' uncle?" but I wasn't sure, so I completely forgot about it until you brought it up.

Also love how Tom can portray the difficulties of the character without having to completely overdo it. That shot of him watching his friends having fun at the hotel through the skylight while he had to swing off says more than 5 minutes of Maguire awkwardly monologuing ever could.

I must have missed both the Prowler and Miles bit.

Donald Glover's character is Miles' uncle, he references him by saying he's got a nephew he wants to protect.

Ohhh shiiit, I totally missed that.

They said his name was Aaron Davis, and for a split second I thought "was that Miles' uncle?" but I wasn't sure, so I completely forgot about it until you brought it up.

THEY EVEN HAVE HIS CODE NAME AS "PROWLER" IN THE CORNER.

I damn near lept out of my seat.

Also shout to the beautiful Marisa Tomei who was just a beacon of amazing comedic timing, her read on that last line was perfect.

Just got out. Thought it was good, not fantastic. I enjoyed the characters, especially Peter, ned and vulture. Felt the marisa tomei being hot and lusted after was really off putting and pointless. But her character was pleasant. There were other random side characters I got a kick out of, like Hannibal as the coach and Martin star as the teacher.

I didn't like the action scenes much sadly enough. Also, the entire plot and arc of the movie was definitely spoiled from just one terribly edited trailer which was a shame. The final climactic battle was poorly constructed and poorly shot too. I loved the design of the vulture in this though. Definitely a highlight.

There were a lot of ups and downs for me. Funny gags, lines, great costumes, overall good tale. I do wish spiderman didn't seem to be so reliant on Starks gear though. I did not like Karen at all. That was out of left field in the worst way possible. So overall it was good but there was a lot I didn't like. One things for sure though, this one is waaaaaaaaaay better than the Andrew Garfield ones. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I absolutely love the teases they managed to plant without it being forced.

The fact that in 10-15 years, they could bring Miles into the universe -- with an older Donald Glover attached -- using a seed they planted in a movie 10-15 years prior? That's just great.

ryseing

This is absolutely better than either of those two, if for no other reason than there's nothing as patently fucking stupid as the jingoistic nonsense of 1 or the train sequence in 2.

To be fair to 1, it was a post 9/11 film set in New York. The jingoistic stuff doesn't hold up well but I believe it was a necessary salve at the time. Isn't the train sequence in 2 regarded as the best part of the movie?

Is it controversial to say this is the best MCU movie so far? Cause holy shit, I just got back from seeing it,and I'm in love. Movie knocked it out of the park. 10/10 IMO perfect summer movie

border

This feels authentic and realistic to what street level MCU would really be like, similar to the comics. Compared to "the incident" and "the big green guy" of the shows

At the same time, the MCU deals with none of the obvious theological and social issues that would arise from the revelation of "Hey, aliens exist! Sentient beings from across the stars are coming to kill and/or interact with us." I guess Iron Man 3 briefly touches on this problem, but beyond that there isn't much else.

I certainly think that direct references to MCU events and characters feel more realistic than completely vague allusions to "the incident" or "the green guy," but there's probably a better middle-ground than what we're presented with in Homecoming.

Zen Aku

I have to say first off. As great as Doctor Strange was, this is the first time since the original Iron Man and Captain America that a solo superhero movie impressed me so much. It feels so fresh and entertaining that it almost didn't feel like a MCU movie.

Tom Holland, Zendaya, and Michael Keaton were the absolute stand out in this movie. Especially Keaton. As sarcastic and sadistic Tom Hiddleston is, Keaton is just down right creepy and brutal with his performance. The scene where Peter came to pick up Liz and it turns out Keaton was the father? I think everyone in my theatre was caught completely off guard. We knew he has a family but we never connect it together. My friend lean over and told me that its the first time in a long while that he didn't see a plot twist like that coming. It was incredibly well done.

Then the scene with Vulture, Peter and Liz in the car going to homecoming together was so tense, you can feel it. It reminds me a lot of the original Spider-man movie where Norman and Harry Osborn came over the Parker's place for Thanksgiving and Peter was bleeding from an earlier encounter. Norman slowly put together that Peter was Spider-man. They both knew that the other know about it, but they couldn't do anything in front of family. I feel like the homecoming car ride scene was a reference to that.

Also the heroic American flag moment where the random guy asked Spidey to do a back flip. That was great self-awareness. I'm so happy they fit in so many easter eggs without it feeling like it was bad. Also them bringing back Gwyneth Paltrow was amazing, she didn't look like she missed a beat at all. I really hope she is back for good. Her interaction with Tony is gold. Dat Iron Spider suit was sweeeeeeeeeeet. I'm glad he's not wearing it yet though. We need more time with the main suit. Also holy shit at the amount of tech Tony crammed inside that thing.

I could go on and on about how great this movie is. But I think I've case my point. Top 5 MCU movie definitely. Marvel is continue to swing like a juggernaut and every movie is a certified hit.

I can't wait for the next appearance of Spider-man.

To be fair to 1, it was a post 9/11 film set in New York. Isn't the train sequence in 2 regarded as the best part of the movie?

First half of the train sequence maybe. But the minute he gets thrown into the car and unmasked it turns into a damn lifetime movie. Unwatchable.

dcelw540

Great movie! I kept thinking Liz looked really cute but kept thinking she's only a kid. Looked up the actress (Laura Harrier) she's 27! I was not expecting that!

Anyways:
I liked it a lot but did have some faults for sure.

HiiiLife

Gambinos scenes were the best. That being said I thought it was decent, then again I never really held Spider-Man in the same regard a lot of people on GAF do. I did love the casting choices for their characters though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I absolutely love the teases they managed to plant without it being forced.

The fact that in 10-15 years, they could bring Miles into the universe -- with an older Donald Glover attached -- using a seed they planted in a movie 10-15 years prior? That's just great.

Ned should've been like, "apropos of nothing but my son was born yesterday" so they can bring in Ganke.

It's something that will work and make sense for others, but just doesn't for me. Probably because so many of the references are incredibly superfluous, and just feel like they are pandering to the people who want the films to feel really integrated into one another. I said I liked that the Vulture's origin ties into the Battle of New York, and that's probably because it's related to the plot and the origin of a major characer. By comparison, having some teenage girls talk about which Avenger they want to fuck just feels cheap and needless (not to mention kinda gross).

It's really hard for to see those instances as mere throwaway references.

Like, high school girls playing marry-sleep-kill? That is what they actually do. They do that to celebrities they like, and here the Avengers are the biggest celebrities around. Ditto for the ATM robbers who don Avengers masks instead of, say, Presidents of the US.

This is the city where the Avengers Tower is located. Scenes like those establish just how much an icon they are there, how much they are integrated into the citizens's daily lives. They directly feed into why starstruck Peter was in a rush to be a superhero just like them - wanting to tackle bigger, more amazing things just like them - enough that he actually wanted to quit school over it. They're not there just to shout "hey, look how connected to the MCU we are!"

Gambinos scenes were the best. That being said I thought it was decent, then again I never really held Spider-Man in the same regard a lot of people on GAF do. I did love the casting choices for their characters though.
"That'll wear off in two hours. You deserve that! You're a criminal! You're a bad person! Bye!"

I certainly think that direct references to MCU events and characters feel more realistic than completely vague allusions to "the incident" or "the green guy," but there's probably a better middle-ground than what we're presented with in Homecoming.
Maybe, but I dont expect highschoolers chatting with their friends to offer that kind of subtlety.

Top Bottom