• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

ZeoVGM

Banned
Is it controversial to say this is the best MCU movie so far? Cause holy shit, I just got back from seeing it,and I'm in love. Movie knocked it out of the park. 10/10 IMO perfect summer movie

Not at all. My fiancee said to me as soon as the movie ended, "That might be top 3 MCU."

And she's not as big of a Spider-Man fan as I am. She has zero emotional attachment to the original trilogy. And she loved this.

I mean I also think the way they present it is fairly normal and representative of how things would go in "reality".

It would be scary and novel for about 30 minutes then it's just a new fact of life. Dudes in tights run around and punch things.

Briarios

Keaton was fuckin brilliant.

They paid him for one movie correct?

I don't expect to see him coming back again unless Marvel gives him about boat load of dough.

I'd like to see him again, but the ending made him seem protective of Peter?

To be fair, Peter saved both him and his daughter ... but, I'm not sure it was protective. Peter's identity has a HUGE value, and Toomes is now in a precarious place -- he's definitely not able to protect his family. But, should the need arise, he's got a friendly neighborhood Spider-man he can call on.

Also, I really like MJ in this. We all know Zendaya is gorgeous, and they're playing it kind of like the ugly duckling thing. Which, is kind of awesome, because you can't complain that Peter just likes her because she's a model. It'll be cool to see them slowly transition her.

It's really hard for to see those instances as mere throwaway references. They are building blocks of the MCU.

Like, high school girls playing marry-sleep-kill? That is what they actually do. They do that to celebrities they like, and here the Avengers are the biggest celebrities around. Ditto for the ATM robbers who don Avengers masks instead of, say, Presidents of the US.

This is the city where the Avengers Tower is located. Scenes like those establish just how much an icon they are there, how much they are integrated into the citizens's daily lives. They directly feed into why Peter Parker was in a rush to be a superhero just like them - wanting to tackle bigger, more amazing things just like them - enough that he actually wanted to quit school over it.
Pretty much. I didnt notice it, but TV Tropes also mentioned a pic of Bruce Banner among a banner of famous scientists in the science class and a hallway mural including Howard Stark and Abraham Erskine.

This Aunt May characterization nonsense is the nitpickiest thing I've seen in a while

She isn't even a character in Civil War, she's a backdrop. You can't try and take anything from that

Real talk though, a kid as ripped as Holland is? I'm sorry 15-16 year old girls would be clinging to him like a freaking puppy. He'd be smacking them back with a stick.

I don't get why you'd even want a shared universe of interconectivity if all you ever got out of it were "wink wink nudge nudge" and stingers.

NYC is where all these people hang out of course it would be inundated with this crap.

I don't get why you'd even want a shared universe of interconectivity if all you ever got out of it were "wink wink nudge nudge" and stingers.

NYC is where all these people hang out of course it would be inundated with this crap.
Can you imagine Time Square in the MCU? All the shitty Avengers costumes...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Yup, I was so happy when they announced Spider-Man for Marvel because it meant that A. the next movie would be great and B. he was in the MCU now, so why would I want the MCU to taker a backdrop?

Nyanmaruz

Any guesses to what the "Cap's prototype shield" and "Thor's magic belt" are?
Is it just some easter egg joke or is there something more to it that they are teasing for Infinity War upgrades?

HiiiLife

So was Scorpions arm broken or was I seeing things? Wonder what his costume is gonna look like. Kinda bummed that Shocker never got his costume past a puffy yellow jacket.

Any guesses to what the "Cap's prototype shield" and "Thor magic belt" are?
Is it just some easter egg joke or is there something more to it that they are teasing for Infinity War upgrades?
Cap's shield I assume is this

4391001-captain+america+013+%281999%29+%28digital-empire%29+012.jpg

Real talk though, a kid as ripped as Holland is? I'm sorry 15-16 year old girls would be clinging to him like a freaking puppy. He'd be smacking them back with a stick.

Something I overheard, and I know people always make up audience reactions and it's weird so I swear this actually happened (but it's still weird), a group of girls at my showing were joking about Liz being taller than Peter.

But yeah, even Toomes said Holland was cute.

Cap has an energy shield and Thor's belt I took as an Ultimates reference.

Any guesses to what the "Cap's prototype shield" and "Thor magic belt" are?

I just assume they're all just some old stuff to be kept? Happy mentioned the Hulkbuster not long before that, after all. Cap's prototype shield is probably the shield Howard Stark gave him, and Thor's magic belt should be Megingjord from the actual myth (I don't know its significance in the comics).

border

Like, high school girls playing marry-sleep-kill? That is what they actually do.

Maybe, but I dont expect highschoolers chatting with their friends to offer that kind of subtlety.

None of that is really earned or necessary though. If I was shooting a movie set in the 60's, I wouldn't feel obligated to feature some teenage girls talking about which member of the Beatles they feel most attracted to. At a point though, we're just nitpicking. I don't think the movie needed or wanted so many other characters or references from the MCU. Others didn't mind or felt it enhanced the film. I don't think future films will be quite so over-wrought with inter-continuity, and they probably won't.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Alright, back home. And got 2 free movie tickets whenever I want, too. Valerian & Atomic Blonde, here we come. Anway...

I can't believe it. I almost don't even remember this feeling. This feeling that I haven't had in 13 years, the feeling of watching a good Spider-Man movie. GodDAMN it feels good. I felt that going into this, this movie would probably have the same goals that The Force Awakens did. Make a decent, safe movie that tells fans "Hey guys, sorry we fucked up on those last ones!" But no, this movie went above and beyond that and it may be one of my favorite MCU movies period.

Props to Tom Holland for this performance! Any actor as young as him could've blown this completely but he easily carries this film on his shoulders. I'm gonna avoid the whole "hurr durr is he the best Spidey" crap because frankly, I love him as Spider-Man just as much as I loved Tobey Maguire. He's far and away better at this than Andrew Garfield, I'll say that. Props to Michael Keaton as well. Dude was straight menacing during that scene with all of them in the car and he sounded pretty easy to relate to giving that speech to Peter in the warehouse. Always the hallmark of a great antagonist. Nice to see Marvel doing great so far with their villains this year with Ego and Vulture. Hopefully, they can go 3 for 3 with Hela.

I loved the supporting cast in this. Liz is little underwritten but Laura Harrier gives her just the right amount of sweetness. Ned was hilarious as the Oracle to Peter's Batman and had some the funniest lines, period. Most of the teachers were funny too, especially Peter's decathlon coach. Zendaya as MJ is probably one of my favorite side-characters in the MCU and loved everything they did with her in this. I don't know who at Marvel thought to turn the supermodel damsel-in-distress from the comics into black Daria but I wanna buy them a fucking drink.

How I liked the cast actually gets into the one problem I have with Homecoming. I really wanted to spend a lot more time with these characters but there's just action, action, action going nonstop. It made me think of all the small moments the Raimi movies had of characters just talking, interacting, living their lives. Hell, even Guardians tends to have a couple of scenes with their cast just talking shit out. I'd say this movie was probably 70% superhero movie & 30% teen movie and I was going in really hoping it was 50/50. But overall, loved it. Not my favorite Spider-Man movie ever (SM2 still the GOAT superhero movie), but it came pretty damn close. Probably not my favorite MCU movie either (That's always gonna be Guardians, thank god for James Gunn), but this easily makes it into my top 5. Nice job, Marvel.

quesalupa

I think those were the longest Sony and Columbia logos ever.
---
I almost pissed my pants when Birdman opened the door at Liz's house.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yo, how good was that scene when he webbed up a guy trying to get into his own car and accidently got the whole neighborhood yelling shit at each other?

None of that is really earned or necessary though. If I was shooting a movie set in the 60's, I wouldn't feel obligated to feature some teenage girls talking about which member of the Beatles they feel most attracted to.

But if the story is about a teenager who really wants to be a big star just like the Beatles because of his own insecurities, it would be a perfectly relevant scene.

None of that is really earned or necessary though. If I was shooting a movie set in the 60's, I wouldn't feel obligated to feature some teenage girls talking about which member of the Beatles they feel most attracted to.
Yeah well even if you didn't shoot your scene that was still totally a thing that happened. It's not an obligation, its world building. It was fascinating to see the ground level of the MCU and how it had affected general society.

And yeah it absolutely ties into Liz having a crush on Spider-Man, so it's even plot relevant.

Briarios

The reason Happy couldn't say the name of Thor's belt is pretty obvious:

In Norse mythology, the megingjörð (Old Norse "power-belt") is a belt worn by the god Thor. According to the Prose Edda, the belt is one of Thor's three main possessions, along with the hammer Mjölnir and the iron gloves Járngreipr.

Yep, that's how it's spelled. It is in the Marvel Universe, too: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Megingjord

I really wanted to love this movie. The folks I was with had a blast so that's good. But something about it just never jelled with me. It was a fun movie and I got my money's worth, and I'm glad so many Spider-man fans enjoyed it, but it's middle-tier Marvel for me.

Kevinroc

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I don't think this is my favorite Spider-Man film. But I certainly think it's the best Spidey film since Raimi's Spider-Man 2 back in 2004. A decade plus of bad Spidey films will do that.

I think they made the right call not trying to do the origin. Just a few lines about a Spider bite, just a few lines about what Aunt May is going through, and we're good. I do think it robs the movie of some emotional beats, but ultimately they made the right call here.

Holland was quite charming as a kid in way over his head. I could totally buy him as Spider-Man.

Keaton was absolutely the right choice for the baddie. Absolutely great. The theater audibly gasped at the reveal (you know what I'm talking about).

I just don't think Aunt May got much to do in this film. A shame since Tomei actually was entertaining in the scenes she was in.

I wish they had found a way to work Jonah into this somehow. Even if it was just off-screen. Spider-Man films feel... lesser without his presence.

I enjoyed Zendaya's small role, but think they should have just called her "Mary Jane" or even just "Mary." The "MJ" wink reminded me of the
"Robin"
wink from Dark Knight Rises.

I liked Peter's friend. I liked Peter's screw-ups were actually understandable. They did a nice job of selling Spidey's world and the stakes in Spidey's world.

And the 2nd after credits scene was pretty funny.

Nyanmaruz

I just assume they're all just some old stuff to be kept? Happy mentioned the Hulkbuster not long before that, after all. Cap's prototype shield is probably the shield Howard Stark gave him, and Thor's magic belt should be Megingjoro from the actual myth (I don't know its significance in the comics).
Oh so it's probably nothing major. Damn, I was hoping hoping that was a hint to Cap's energy sheid as some people already suggested.

None of that is really earned or necessary though. If I was shooting a movie set in the 60's, I wouldn't feel obligated to feature some teenage girls talking about which member of the Beatles they feel most attracted to. At a point though, we're just nitpicking. I don't think the movie needed or wanted so many other characters or references from the MCU. Others didn't mind or felt it enhanced the film. I don't think future films will be quite so over-wrought with inter-continuity, and they probably won't.

It's like a cliche thing in teen movies and since they live in the world of super heroes, it makes sense.

Kind of also helped progress the plot forward with the Liz crush thing and Ned's big mouth, which also is brought back up when they were on their way to the prom.

Ramones + Spider-Man = Perfection

Top tier MCU, and manages to avoid retreading the other movie incarnations.

The Howling Commando easter egg was a nice touch too.

Briarios

Multiple audible gasps in the audience.

Guy next to me was TOTALLY into the film, it was hilarious -- when Peter got the date with Liz, he was totally bouncing up and down in his seat.

When the door opened, he was like: Oh, damn, no! Shit got real!

Someone in a recent thread mentioned Terry Crews. And I generally don't obsess over fan castings but I want nothing more now than an angry Terry Crews yelling at Parker.
Oh hell. Yes. I think with the way they've been so diverse with casting so far; that'd be an excellent choice.

I enjoyed the movie, thought the second half was really good. Basically starting from after they get home from the trip

First half was a little too much of Spider-Man being completely terrible, and his annoying friend for my taste

Thought the way they handled Vulture being her dad was great

The most nitpicky nitpick that just kind of bothered me: during the houseparty fight with the arms dealers when he takes the shortcut. It's like "oh cool, they're doing Ferris Bueller" and then they show it on screen like heh heh get it, it's a reference lol. Just annoyed me for some reason

Thought the mid credits scene was great too, really nice way to wrap it up

Top Bottom