• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

Kandinsky

I dont know if my theater was having problems with the projection/lighting but I couldn't see shit in the fighting scenes, seriously it was especially annoying when apparently Vulture grabs Peter and toss him in the water I think?, why everything interesting happened at night lol.

I dont know if my theater was having problems with the projection/lighting but I couldn't see shit in the fighting scenes, seriously it was especially annoying when apparently Vulture grabs Peter and toss him in the water I think?, why everything interesting happened at night lol.

Overall I did find the fight scenes pretty hard to follow, the camera always seemed a bit too close to the action to focus on anything.

Raide

Went to see this last night with a friend. Pretty good. Kinda like the way they did not redo the origin stuff again and just got right into it. Holland play a good young Spiderman. All goofy with girls and nerdy with his friends. Plus learning how to Spiderman was funny to watch. Keaton was a solid badguy and I did not expect the reveal. Liked the passive aggressive MJ gags but even without the reveal, she was hot for Peter.

The whole Stark/Happy stuff was interesting, since Peter really was a kid that needed someone to keep an eye on him.

The captain American stuff was also great. So funny when the guy said he was a war criminal but it's already paid for or something.

A fun rebirth of Spiderman but I hope we have more films without too much Avengers stuff in. Or maybe have Black Widow come to his school to pick him up. Haha.

I was so sure they were going to pretty up Zendaya by the end of the movie, so I'm genuinely surprised they didn't (it was obvious when they cast her that she was going to be MJ, especially knowing that Laura Harrier was Liz). Outside of that, it was a thoroughly enjoyable movie, though the ending at the Avengers complex did feel like Marvel getting Sony to pay for an Iron Man plot point (Tony and Happy was one thing, but Gwenyth hasn't been in anything Marvel since Iron Man 3). If they wanted them to get married before this point, they would have, and Tony and Pepper being broken up isn't that integral to the plot of Civil War.

black070

The press conference at the end was a nice call back to the Civil War storyline with Peter publicly announcing himself to the world (intentionally so according to the screenwriters).

SomTervo

I know I'm a bit late, but I finally saw this and it's very good. I'm pretty down on Marvel Studios as a whole, but Homecoming was solid as hell. Vulture twist was a bit too convenient but it added a whole new layer to the villain that basically no MCU villain except Loki has had and I hope Keaton sticks around. Ned and May were fun, RDJ was an overpaid waste. Thought the Pepper cameo was great though. MJ had all of like ten lines in the film? She's a megastar so I get why they wanted to lock her in. Good use of smaller villains as henchmen. Tom Holland was strong, especially for an actor that young. Didn't feel lower budget than the past entries either, but swinging through high rises was sorely missed. I know he's not there yet but it's a shame how weak he seems in comparison to the last few movies.
organic shooters >>>

No it's not as good as Raimi but I never expected it to be. I'd be down for any sequels to show a little more heart and vulnerability or whatever you want to call it. They touched on May's fears and how presumably they tie into Ben's death, but the movie didn't want to come out and say it. If they can nail that cheesy sincerity, it'd work wonders. Peter and Tony isn't the same kind of emotional hook that Peter and Ben is.

Wish the final action scene had been less noise but Wonder Woman fell victim to that too. The horror in the moonlight imagery for Vulture worked well and could've been used more.

I just saw this.

Yo, wow I loved this joint. This was like pretty much the first movie I went to see by myself and it was like a private viewing.

So much to say. This is a great adaptation of Spiderman, the characterizations were super strong and lovable even. I really liked the coming of age/ high school thing mixed with the the fun action blockbuster, its a great combo. The tone is perfect. As I reflect more on the title, I see how some people felt that they didn't explore the homecoming element but that was the entire point.

Yo, that twist was great! I just was not expecting that and it really made the movie super fun. Like that shit was perfect to tie all the elements so close from the overall story. He left that night because he knew that he had to stop Vulture from taking that shipment. Its fucked up that Spidey has to do that shit before IM can give a fuck for real.

The fucking elements are real, IM giving Spidey the great power, responsibility lesson. Again, if the trailer held that shit back, the movie would be so damn strong.

I love how Peter had to play detective to get shit done. I like that Peter fucking struggled to do what he wanted with having to do for greater good. Vulture was badass. He was a real person, took advantage of his situation, pushed his limits, maintained composure.

Idk why they had him hold Peter down though. This movie was super fucking fun just because it go so much out the way, We have MJ. Aunt May knows and we have a better suit coming.

Peter is so young and untrained and he has to fight Thanos soon. This Spidey has to fight some cool next.

Yesss, positivity returnnssssss

The only redesigns that matter:
SsYARz6l.jpg

No lies detected - although I'm weirdly partial to the Scarlet Spider's torn-sleeved-hoody outfit.

That they pulled off this scene to a tee was magnificent

Yeah. They didn't shy away from how utterly brutalised Peter was in there. Holland really nailed the genuine terror/panic. So good.

SliChillax

I really wish they did more with Shocker, his weapon looked amazing and they barely showed it. The lack of a proper costume was also disappointing.

It's funny because all four of these images are of Spider-Men that aren't Peter Parker. (Not that it matters).

I like Miles' suit too. And FF. And both Scarlet Spiders.

Eh? I recall Peter Parker being the first (probably the only one?) who wore the black costume. Not sure in that particular panel as I haven't read that comic book.

Edit: As far as I know, black spidey is Peter Parker.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
New concept art from the Art of the movie book featuring Vision and War Machine helping out in the Staten Island Ferry scene:

pXV2S1H.jpg

UbgMxuJ.jpg

HotHamBoy

I really wish they did more with Shocker, his weapon looked amazing and they barely showed it. The lack of a proper costume was also disappointing.

Bookeem Woodbine is incredible in Season 2 of Fargo and when I saw him in this movie I was super excited. They really sold him short, I hope he comes back.

Caught this last weekend with the girlfriend. I thought it was an excellent reboot. Didn't waste time retelling the origin story and found a clever way to show he was still learning the suit. I liked that the romantic interest and a lot of the cast was racially diverse.

The villain was one of the most interesting in recent memory. I wouldn't even call him a villain. He was a hustler, who got fucked by the system. Even when he incinerated the guy, he used the wrong weapon.

Tony Stark was also perfect, and I applaud Sony for having the balls to let Marvel the movie. It benefited both companies. Fox should do the same. Everyone wins.

DrArchon

Saw this on Saturday. Way better than the Amazing movies, not sure where it stacks against the Raimi ones.

Pros
-No origin story: Fucking loved this. We all know how Peter Parker got to be Spider-Man. Don't need to see it for the 50th time again. Didn't even get a flashback to Uncle Ben saying "With great power yada yada". Didn't even mention that the spider that bit him was radioactive. Contrast this with BvS still having to show Batman's parent's dying for the 100th time.

-Not afraid to take heavy liberties with established characters: Also great. Aunt May isn't a million years old. MJ is a sardonic outsider with no real friends (and no seeming desire for friends). Flash is about flaunting his money instead of his muscle. Vulture isn't trying to gain immortality. I love this. It's familiar territory, but still feels new.

-Peter's social life sucks because of Spider-Man: I love this. They really capture how much the responsibility of being Spider-Man is a drain on Peter's normal life. Having to bail on everyone, having Aunt May constantly worry, etc. Then, after the talk with Tony and Peter stops being Spider-Man for a bit before the climax, everything seems so much better. He gets a date for the prom, he does better in school, he gets to build that sick Lego Death Star with Ned. It looks so much easier for him.

Cons
-Spider-Man doesn't really beat the bad guy: Seriously, he doesn't. Vulture just stops trying to kill him and then his suit blows up and Spider-Man saves him. I was like "Wait, what just happened?" One minute, he was about to rip Peter's heart out, the next he couldn't care less. I guess this ties in with Peter learning that he isn't ready for the big leagues, but it felt weird. I feel like it went by way too fast and there needed to be some more exposition there, like Vulture really didn't want to kill Spider-Man (even though he clearly did).

------

All in all, good movie. Again, better than the Amazing movies, still not sure where it lands in comparison to Spider-Man 1 & 2 (easily better than 3 though).

Sami+

Tom Holland is 21 lol

Lol came up with a conversation I had with my gf after the movie.

Her: I'm not gonna lie hon Tom Holland is pretty cute but I think he's like 16 which is reeeaaally weird
Me: nah actually I think he's a few months older than you
Her: oh thank god

Sou Da

You know something I just thought about is that I can REALLY buy this version of MJ having the rough home life she's always supposed to have.

It would explain the amount of free time she has too.

HotHamBoy

Cons
-Spider-Man doesn't really beat the bad guy

He did beat the bad guy! He thwarted his plan, multiple times, and he ended up in jail.

But he did get lucky, too. This Spidey is super green and I like the idea of a green teen still getting physically beaten by a vetern adult. Peter will improve.

AMUSIX

Then, after the talk with Tony and Peter stops being Spider-Man for a bit before the climax, everything seems so much better. He gets a date for the prom, he does better in school, he gets to build that sick Lego Death Star with Ned. It looks so much easier for him.
One of the best sequences in the movie, and one that gets so little love. From the principal's office to Spanish class, to LEGOs, all of it just felt so right. And it set up the reveal beautifully, made Keaton opening that door such a big crash.

DrArchon

He did beat the bad guy! He thwarted his plan, multiple times, and he ended up in jail.

But he did get lucky, too. This Spidey is super green and I like the idea of a green teen still getting physically beaten by a vetern adult. Peter will improve.

I get that, I just think the scene was edited poorly.

Vulture was literally holding Spider-Man's limp body up, about to tear him apart piece from piece, then sees some loot and says "Fuck this", drops Spider-Man and goes for the swag. Like what? Why not kill him and then get the goods? It really feels like he didn't kill Peter because Peter couldn't die. That's literally it. There was no story reason for him not to just immediately kill Peter right then and there.

Peter saving Vulture though, that was great. As soon as Vulture learned Peter was Spider-Man I said to myself "Oh, he's dead for sure" and I was really glad to be proven wrong.

HotHamBoy

I get that, I just think the scene was edited poorly.

Vulture was literally holding Spider-Man's limp body up, about to tear him apart piece from piece, then sees some loot and says "Fuck this", drops Spider-Man and goes for the swag. Like what? Why not kill him and then get the goods? It really feels like he didn't kill Peter because Peter couldn't die. That's literally it. There was no story reason for him not to just immediately kill Peter right then and there.

Peter saving Vulture though, that was great. As soon as Vulture learned Peter was Spider-Man I said to myself "Oh, he's dead for sure" and I was really glad to be proven wrong.

I have to agree, he should have killed him on the spot and that didn't make a lot of sense.

It's possible, however, that Vulture's heart just wasn't in it. Yeah, he collapsed a building on Peter but maybe slicing him up himself was too heavy.

Anyway, this is a superhero film that I felt stayed strong in the 3rd Act. Keaton and Holland had great tension out-of-costume.

Cafeman

We had same problem.

DrArchon

I have to agree, he should have killed him on the spot and that didn't make a lot of sense.

It's possible, however, that Vulture's heart just wasn't in it. Yeah, he collapsed a building on Peter but maybe slicing him up himself was too heavy.

Anyway, this is a superhero film that I felt stayed strong in the 3rd Act. Keaton and Holland had great tension out-of-costume.

Eh, given that he didn't show that much remorse for disintegrating Shocker #1, I don't see him loosing his nerve right before eviscerating the guy that's actively ruining his life for him.

But yes, this had one of the stronger third acts for an MCU movie. The whole conversation between Keaton and Holland in the car with Keaton putting the pieces together was great. Really reminded me of the fantastic dinner scene in Spider-Man 1. It helps that Keaton is just a phenomenal actor.

I rewatched it again yesterday and it felt dark too but I don't remember that problem the first time I saw it. This was between two different theaters though so there may have been a difference in the projection. I know my screening yesterday was a DLP projector.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Bookeem Woodbine is incredible in Season 2 of Fargo and when I saw him in this movie I was super excited. They really sold him short, I hope he comes back.

He's the Shocker, so I'm sure they'll bring him back. It felt like they were doing a Sinister Six setup with them. We've already got half of them in Homecoming alone: Vulture, Shocker, Scorpion.

In Homecoming 2, we'll probably get Doc Ock, with some Hydro-Man/Sandman, and Rhino, then in Homecoming 3, we can cap off Peter's senior year in high school with a crazy Sinister Six storyline and end the trilogy in epic style. I know they want to do more than three films with Holland, but just shoot for three really good flicks, and let the future dictate if we need more solo Spidey, or just have him be like Hulk, appearing in Avengers movies instead of solo films.

As for this movie, I adored it. I loved it more than I was expecting to, and I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, and have been for decades, but after 5 movies, with two of them being dogshit (ASM1 and ASM2; even SM3 is better than those movies), I was concerned. I'm glad my fears were unwarranted.

I thought John Watts did a fantastic job of making Peter a believable teenager. I see some adults in this thread complaining that Peter didn't make any hard choices, but I disagree. I think Peter made plenty of hard choices, and learned plenty of hard lessons, for a teenager. I think we forget what life was like when we were teenagers. How everything felt so dramatic and overwhelming, but from an adult perspective, it was kind of crying over spilt milk. Off the top of my head, the few difficult choices he had to make were not showing off as Spider-Man at the pool party (again, it's a little thing to us adults, but to a 15 year old outsider, he gave up a big chance to feel awesome and accepted and cool, even if he was under a mask), passing up hanging out with Liz and the other decathletes when they snuck out (an actual Peter bonding moment with his peers, including Flash, that could have made his life just a little bit better in school), missing the decathalon (he tried his best to get there on time, but in the end, he couldn't), leaving Liz high and dry at the Homecoming dance because he was rattle by her father's threats and knowing his secret identity.

In all of those situations, those were "big" moments for a 15 year old to process, and the consequences as far as high school social circles and being part of those groups goes. All of the things he gave up to do Spider-Man stuff were big deals to him. They don't have to be big deals to us. I felt like he behaved like a believable teen, wrestling at being an adult. The lessons he learned ranged from "subtle" to overt. The scene were he sees that the deli was destroyed because of his botched ATM robbery was one such thing. He didn't wax poetic about it, but the look on Holland's face as he realized that Spider-Man was responsible for the nice deli guy's world being upended was palpable and well acted. The other more overt messages about him learning to be Spider-Man without the suit, and realizing that being an Avenger isn't really what he needs, but what he wanted, and there's a difference, were fine as well.

There's only so many ways they can beat that "With great power, comes great responsibility" drum in 6 Spider-Man movies, so I'm glad they went more with a story about a 15 year old boy with incredible power just trying to navigate high school, and balancing his non-superhero life, and doing it poorly, barely scraping by a win, and even when he wins, he loses. That sounds like fucking Spider-Man to me.

I thought it was a delightful, heartfelt film. Especially remembering what it was like to be a teenager and the shenanigans me and my friends got up to, what with being gamer/comic nerds. Little things like Ned and Peter building the LEGO Death Star in Peter's bedroom brought back some nostalgic memories of me and my high school friends doing similar stuff (mainly playing PlayStation and SNES, and talking about the girls in our class we had crushes on). I think Watts and the crew nailed that aspect of it, while also nailing the Spidey aspects.

There were a handful of moments that really stood out to me in the film: The montage of Spidey doing Spidey stuff; stopping bike thieves, giving an old lady directions, etc, etc. It just felt so charming and Spider-Man-like that I couldn't help but grin.

The Homecoming sequence, from the moment the door opens and Toomes is standing there, and much like Peter, you aren't sure if he's kidnapped Liz's family for some reason (how would he know to kidnap the girl Peter is crushing on?), to the reveal that he's her dad, to Toomes slowly piecing together who Peter is, to the treat, to Peter running out on Liz. It was a great scene full of tension and Keaton killed it. He's so good at playing menacing.

Thirdly, Spider-Man trapped under the rubble and willing himself to push it off of himself. Classic, ripped from the comics moment. The reflection in the water puddle showing half Peter's face, half Spider-Man's mask, was a nice touch, and just as melodramatic and nailing the point home about the duality of the character as the comics and I loved it. Tony's voice over was cheesy, but it's Spider-Man. A healthy amount of cheese and melodrama is what I expect.

And lastly, any scene with May and Peter. It's not because Marisa Tomei is just a stunningly beautiful woman, but because I thought her and Peter had such a good dynamic. Their relationship felt genuine and real. The scene with Peter, teary eyed, telling her he had lost the Stark internship was really well done. I could easily imagine this May giving Tony the what for the next time she sees him.

I probably still prefer Spider-Man 2, mainly because of the El Train sequence, and Molina just being so damn good as Doc Ock, but Homecoming is easily up there as well. It'll probably become more solidified as my favorite as time passed. It's been about two weeks since I saw it, but it hasn't lost its charm for me.

This was my take. He was looking at a kid who had already saved his daughter's life, and just couldn't do it himself. Probably figured he'd take the money and split.

redcrayon

I thought it was hilarious and way too convenient. Also how do you feel "dread" when Pete could've slapped Tooms unconscious at any moment. Tooms was just such a mess of a character.
I don't agree. Adult Peter Parker in the same situation, no problem at all- heightened agility and a sense of proportionate strength could have handled it. 15 year-old Peter Parker? Already in clothes he isn't used to wearing, not having the confidence-booster of the persona of the spider suit, in an enclosed space when he's used to fighting outdoors, faced with a guy with a gun whose daughter and his friends are metres away, with the consequences of him even attacking the guy without killing him being the instant death of his meagre social life followed by the potential death of his loved ones, and all while he's in shock that Liz's dad is a guy with loads of dangerous people working for him? Toomes could have texted someone to kill his family on the spot for all he knew, I thought the scene captured the way Toomes was in control through sheer determination and raw willingness to kill everyone he loved compared to Parkers greater physical attributes really well. Peter's move to drop his phone as a tracker was a good response for a young hero, getting out of there to regroup.

The whole film did a great job of setting up the difference in being physically powerful but lacking confidence and resources really well.

The one bit I didn't get, I must have blinked and missed something. At one point Toomesis on the plane, Spider-Man is outside the plane, kicking off the vulture suit that is attached to the plane. How did Toomes get back in the suit? I must have just blanked or it happened really fast.

SomTervo

I don't agree. Adult Peter Parker in the same situation, no problem at all- heightened agility and a sense of proportionate strength could have handled it. 15 year-old Peter Parker? Already in clothes he isn't used to wearing, not having the confidence-booster of the persona of the spider suit, in an enclosed space when he's used to fighting outdoors, faced with a guy with a gun whose daughter and his friends are metres away, with the consequences of him even attacking the guy without killing him being the instant death of his meagre social life followed by the potential death of his loved ones, and all while he's in shock that Liz's dad is a guy with loads of dangerous people working for him? Toomes could have texted someone to kill his family on the spot for all he knew, I thought the scene captured the way Toomes was in control through sheer determination and raw willingness to kill everyone he loved compared to Parkers greater physical attributes really well. Peter's move to drop his phone as a tracker was a good response for a young hero, getting out of there to regroup.

The whole film did a great job of setting up the difference in being physically powerful but lacking confidence and resources really well.

The one bit I didn't get, I must have blinked and missed something. At one point Toomesis on the plane, Spider-Man is outside the plane, kicking off the vulture suit that is attached to the plane. How did Toomes get back in the suit? I must have just blanked or it happened really fast.

Re your last point, we see Toomes notice spidey (can't rember how) and it's implied he heads right back for the suit/wings. Next moment he's dropped back into the suit quickly and takes off. The film doesn't show you him running back and jumping in (it's just implied).

Top Bottom