• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

jaaz

https://twitter.com/georgeb3dr/status/676613397371224065

8EnR4WY.png

Anyone heard of anything like this?

Can I get a refund for Duke NukeEm Forever?

The company that makes those actually tried to contact RSI regarding making a space-sim-oriented version, but no luck. It's a shame - I think a longer-travel version of it with some buttons on the "puck" would be great.

Do you think it could work using the spacemouse in your offhand for your big turns and strafes, then aiming with the mouse?

That's actually how I used it, for Battlefield 4. The throw just doesn't feel right, at least for me.

I had never heard that, about 3dconnexion! I agree - it could have worked. The Z-axis was the weirdest, and most useful: really fun being able to control hovering movement in helicopters with it.

I would take anything George Broussard says about SC (heck anything) with a grain of salt. Dude was part of DS dumb brigade.

Hey now, this guy is the big deal. I mean look how quickly he came out with Duke Nukem Fore..oh... nevermind that one was finished by gearbox. Uh...Pharaoh's Tomb is the pretty cool. And so is "The Road" I guess. Totally the best guy to speak up on this alongside DS.

viveks86

The biggest problem is FPS stuff. The flight model is getting really close to being awesome, if they can fix the character movement and fps flow, doesn't seem like there would be much more work to do (besides character customization).

Fingers crossed! Wish it would come out in the next 6 months.

tuxfool

Banned
Just saw the first episode of The Expanse. Definitely worth checking out for a similar gritty space truckin' sci-fi atmosphere. There are official links to watch it in the OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1155980

Yeah, it's pretty good. There is an authenticity to this show that I've never seen on TV before. The overall plot seems a bit Red Factiony, or has similar tropes.

I know some people that liked the books, I know one of them was nominated for the Hugo award.

Chris_C

Popped back into this during the last day of free flight (and downloaded the second 30GB+ patch in a few days) to see how things had changed.

Unfortunately the Arena Commander tutorial still runs horribly on my GTX 970 regardless of whether or not it's set to low or very high.

I was really ready to plonk down the $45 for a starter pack, but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer for things to tighten up a bit. As it's an alpha, I expect performance will improve dramatically before Squadron 42 hits. I expect I should be able to play at a stable 1080p/60 on medium with my setup (GTX 970, Core i5 4570, 16GB Ram and a 512MB SSD).

Also, I really, really hope they find some way of fixing the game's temporal aliasing issues.

Zalusithix

I'd look at using something different than pots. They get real nasty, have you considered using something more sensitive like hall effect sensors? Or possibly linear photo resistors?

Out of curiosity what MCU are you planning on using?

Also has anybody ever used one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LB7G00/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The rotation sensing will be done with a traditional (albeit high quality) pot. I could splurge on a contactless pot if I wanted to go esoteric, but frankly a standard one should be fine for rotation. Linear travel will be measured with these. Easier to implement those along the linear rails than dealing with belts or rack&gear setups to convert the linear motion to rotational motion for a traditional sensor.

MCU wise, I'll be going with a Teensy 3.2. Small, powerful, and plenty of pins without even having to tap into the bottom pads of the PCB. (Using a diode based switch matrix at least - not enough for direct wiring.) Frankly, it'd be overkill if not for driving the OLED display. I want to be sure that I can do everything I need in under the 8ms USB poll time.

Popped back into this during the last day of free flight (and downloaded the second 30GB+ patch in a few days) to see how things had changed.

Unfortunately the Arena Commander tutorial still runs horribly on my GTX 970 regardless of whether or not it's set to low or very high.

I was really ready to plonk down the $45 for a starter pack, but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer for things to tighten up a bit. As it's an alpha, I expect performance will improve dramatically before Squadron 42 hits. I expect I should be able to play at a stable 1080p/60 on medium with my setup (GTX 970, Core i5 4570, 16GB Ram and a 512MB SSD).

Also, I really, really hope they find some way of fixing the game's temporal aliasing issues.

It's the cpu if anything. I have 8GB ram, 970 as well and a I7 4790k and have it running of an ssd as well but can run it at high with no real issues. Try the other modes next time, I've not tried it in a while but I've heard the tutorial has been a bit neglected recently.

tuxfool

Banned
The rotation sensing will be done with a traditional (albeit high quality) pot. I could splurge on a contactless pot if I wanted to go esoteric, but frankly a standard one should be fine for rotation. Linear travel will be measured with these. Easier to implement those along the linear rails than dealing with belts or rack&gear setups to convert the linear motion to rotational motion for a traditional sensor.

MCU wise, I'll be going with a Teensy 3.2. Small, powerful, and plenty of pins without even having to tap into the bottom pads of the PCB. (Using a diode based switch matrix at least - not enough for direct wiring.) Frankly, it'd be overkill if not for driving the OLED display. I want to be sure that I can do everything I need in under the 8ms USB poll time.

Those pots look really neat. I actually have a Teensy 3.0, its been pretty useful. Are you going to make it use a generic HID driver?

Aselith

Why would they just give a 100% refund? So the guy buys "a game", plays it, is tired of playing it, and just wants all of his money back? Are you kidding me. People are totally getting out of control with this refund bullshit. He's a grown man, who made the decision to buy something, deal with the consequence of this.

Added sneer quotes for reality. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to ask for a refund since the game is not released yet. It's RSI's prerogative if they want to give it of course though since these donations come with no promise of that possibility.

But that being true, Broussard meant why not all or nothing because either you can get a refund or not.

Mivey

If you are buying it on their storefront, you have to live with their rules. That being said, there really should be a limited time peroid where you can refund it fully.

tuxfool

Banned
The thing with this is that they typically have given full refunds. Or none. CIG can actually track usage data so they know if somebody has actually been playing the game or not.

Tic174

Has any one mentioned about 2.1 coming out before christmas yet?
Chris talks about it in the new 10 for the chairman here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiXlK8UtLhg (Around the 3 min mark)
But you might want to take that with a pinch of salt, he said the same thing on reverse the verse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yFN1dfbAjU (48:20 ish) but look at Bens face a few seconds after when he realises what chris said lol :D

Im really looking forward to the stream tomorrow, does any one know what time it will be?

Zabojnik

Judging by what cult leader Roberts said in the latest 10FTC, they'll likely show something that has to do with navigating through wormholes or through ... something of the sort during the live stream tomorrow.

Xane

Awe, I'll be watching Star Wars when the livestream hits local time. :<
Oh well, I have three hours of recording to watch through afterwards!

So yesterday I finally got around to buying Star Citizen. I got the $45 Squadron 42 package, which seems like a good deal. I installed the game and (as expected) the game runs really sluggish on my 3 year old desktop. I'm not upset about it because I plan on building a nice computer sometime in the near future just for this game. I can't wait to experience Star Citizen in its full glory next year.

Zabojnik

So yesterday I finally got around to buying Star Citizen. I got the $45 Squadron 42 package, which seems like a good deal. I installed the game and (as expected) the game runs really sluggish on my 3 year old desktop. I'm not upset about it because I plan on building a nice computer sometime in the near future just for this game. I can't wait to experience Star Citizen in its full glory next year.

Welcome to the Star Citizen community, Soldier. If there are better communities out there, I don't know about them. Except of course Animu-GAF.

KKRT00

Welcome to the cult. Sacrifice a goat on Your way in, please.

Rephin

Welcome to the Star Citizen community, Soldier. If there are better communities out there, I don't know about them. Except of course Animu-GAF.

MikuGAF will be paying you a visit later for this slight upon their people. Be prepared. They're crazy.

Zalusithix

Those pots look really neat. I actually have a Teensy 3.0, its been pretty useful. Are you going to make it use a generic HID driver?
Yeah, it'll just appear as a bog standard direct input device. There's no way I'm going through the added complexity of writing my own driver for little to no gain. All the features I need will be configurable on the hardware itself using the OLED screen in a setup mode.

Rephin

Hey, I like One Punch Man as much as the next guy. It even has a
capital space ship
in it.

One Punch Man is exemplary.
And that fight is one of the best in the series.

More anime shows need capital ships. Or maybe we need more shows like Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

pottuvoi

Banned
One Punch Man is exemplary.
And that fight is one of the best in the series.

More anime shows need capital ships. Or maybe we need more shows like Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Yes, anime needs more capital ships and we certainly need more shows like LotGH.

Welcome to the cult. Sacrifice a goat on Your way in, please.

Don't forget to dribble the blood ON your pledge card and say "thank you Mr. Roberts." Or else you will be visited by the bad luck derek smart ghost!

:D
Yes, anime needs more capital ships and we certainly need more shows like LotGH.

my fav anime
jBGqM2S.png

Who designed this one, Elite: Dangerous' devs? #shotsfired #justkidding

I love the LotGH ship designs.

ParityBit

So do we think there will be a better HOTAS than the Warthog by the time this game releases? Or do we think that will be the one to get for the game?

(planning my future)

Zabojnik

You're such a German, Dictator.
<3

I'll have to watch that anime one of these days, if I can find it in decent quality somewhere.

Rephin

You're such a German, Dictator.
<3

I'll have to watch that anime one of these days, if I can find it in decent quality somewhere.

I'm pretty sure you can find most if not all of it on YouTube in 720p. I still have the Central Anime subbed version on a backup hard drive somewhere, only because I can't buy it myself.

It's an old anime, so it may not look like the newest hotness, but it's so damn good.

Irobot82

So I can an extra Ominsky VI that I had got from the store at some point, but I can't find it in my in game menu. I wanted to add some more pew pews to the 300i (two guns suck). Anyone what if that was removed from the hangar temporarily or if I have to go through somewhere else to get it working?

Zalusithix

So do we think there will be a better HOTAS than the Warthog by the time this game releases? Or do we think that will be the one to get for the game?

(planning my future)

The Warthog as a HOTAS isn't really space optimized. The stick itself is great. The gimbal is good, but not perfect. It'll be at least as good as any other commercial option all things considered.

The throttle, on the other hand, isn't ideal for SC or space games in general. The dual throttle is totally useless. Toggle switches aren't well supported by SC (game favors momentary), which eliminates the usefulness of many of the inputs. The analog pointer nub is finicky which makes it less than ideal for strafe controls. There's no center point on throttle travel so reverse is either toggled or you have to guess where the zero point is to stop. The afterburner/engine off extremes on the throttle travel are likewise also useless in SC. Basically it's damn good at providing sim control for real world flight, but that specialization leaves it in a kind of a round peg, square hole situation for space flight.

epmode

(planning my future)

Honestly, I'm not sure the Warthog is the way to go for space sims. The triggers take quite a bit of force to trip. This is great for modern flight sims where you're only attacking once in a while but not so much for space sims where you're constantly firing guns and launching missiles.

(plus the stuff Zalusithix said)

Rephin

So I can an extra Ominsky VI that I had got from the store at some point, but I can't find it in my in game menu. I wanted to add some more pew pews to the 300i (two guns suck). Anyone what if that was removed from the hangar temporarily or if I have to go through somewhere else to get it working?

I'm not quite sure myself. I have an INK-404 shield generator I bought early on, but that doesn't show up at all in my hangar holotable, but every other upgrade weapon I own does. Some things just seem pretty bugged in there at the moment.

ParityBit

The Warthog as a HOTAS isn't really space optimized. The stick itself is great. The gimbal is good, but not perfect. It'll be at least as good as any other commercial option all things considered.

The throttle, on the other hand, isn't ideal for SC or space games in general. The dual throttle is totally useless. Toggle switches aren't well supported by SC (game favors momentary), which eliminates the usefulness of many of the inputs. The analog pointer nub is finicky which makes it less than ideal for strafe controls. There's no center point on throttle travel so reverse is either toggled or you have to guess where the zero point is to stop. The afterburner/engine off extremes on the throttle travel are likewise also useless in SC. Basically it's damn good at providing sim control for real world flight, but that specialization leaves it in a kind of a round peg, square hole situation for space flight.

Honestly, I'm not sure the Warthog is the way to go for space sims. The triggers take quite a bit of force to trip. This is great for modern flight sims where you're only attacking once in a while but not so much for space sims where you're constantly firing guns and launching missiles.

(plus the stuff Zalusithix said)

Wow, great input! So what would be your suggestion for a really good setup when the time comes? Or we waiting on a new release of hardware?

Zalusithix

Wow, great input! So what would be your suggestion for a really good setup when the time comes? Or we waiting on a new release of hardware?

With current hardware, it's a matter of weighing the pros and cons. Pretty much none of it has been designed with space in mind. That said, the CH throttle is probably the best current bet for the throttle end of things. It's a no-nonsense design that will cover the bases well enough and every feature on it can reliably be used in game. Stick wise, there's more options and it would boil down to your own preferences and whether you're using pedals too.

That said, there is the new hardware on the horizon, so the safest bet is to wait it out. There's certainly no guarantee that the new stuff will be better than the existing gear, but even if it's on par, with a few design tweaks it can be better suited for space. (This is more true for the throttle than the joystick.)

Edit: And if you're the DIY type (and have access to a 3D printer) there's the custom route. A true multi-axis throttle will beat hell out of anything you can buy commercially. (Related: my design is going the cartesian route, so nothing like that.)

So what kind of performance improvements are people seeing by messing around with the User.cfg? Is it worth tinkering with, or should I just wait for the game to get a performance update?

Look at the CH fighter stick and pro throttle. Not much visually but the quality is top notch considering you were looking at the Warthog. Throttle also has an analog stick for MAV thrusters.

tuxfool

Banned
So what kind of performance improvements are people seeing by messing around with the User.cfg? Is it worth tinkering with, or should I just wait for the game to get a performance update?

Unless you're playing offline you wont see any performance improvements. The game is just server limited at the moment.

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah, it'll just appear as a bog standard direct input device. There's no way I'm going through the added complexity of writing my own driver for little to no gain. All the features I need will be configurable on the hardware itself using the OLED screen in a setup mode.

Heh, yeah. I was wondering what you needed the OLED screen for. If you're not doing curves in the driver you're going to have to do them on the device.

edit: Also, if I understand correctly you're going to need 4 axes, but the Teensy only has two 16bit ADCs, are you just going to trigger reads manually and selecting across 4 pins?

Top Bottom