• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Voidwolf

There's an absurd number of emotes: https://youtu.be/rOhp2rdDG_M?t=466 (edit: updated to a newer video with more of them)
This one's /rude3

Hit F12 to open up your chat window, then Enter to type something, then slash and the emote you want. Good number of them are listed in Raticus' video above.

I think it's Left CTRL+F to exit your seat.

Edit:

X7lQDpR.jpg

Cool, thanks guys. I'll boot up the game and check this stuff out in a bit.

1. A lot of the game is still pretty unoptimized, but you can run it ok with settings turned down.

2. Yes.

3. Are you talking about the lore? Or the campaign? The campaign is a typical military story sort of thing, similar to all of Chris's games.

4. Currently, the game isn't released. Right now we are just play-testing the core systems to make sure they work properly. This game will probably not be released for another year.
1. That's what I expected, but disappointing

4. So what can I actually do in this game if I buy in boot it up now?

DMTripper

Unsure if there is a performance thread... But can I run this with good graphics on a GTX 960oc and a I5-4590 with 16gigs of ram?

I'm pretty new to PC gaming and this type of game is why I got one!

Unsure if there is a performance thread... But can I run this with good graphics on a GTX 960oc and a I5-4590 with 16gigs of ram?

I'm pretty new to PC gaming and this type of game is why I got one!

It will run fine in ideal scenarios (where the servers are not problematic). You should probably turn it down from very high to medium or so due to having a 960. But it mainly depends on what you consider to be a good frame rate.

Though everyone is currently experiencing poor performance due to server problems when joining the active live universe.

1. That's what I expected, but disappointing

4. So what can I actually do in this game if I buy in boot it up now?

Tthe core aspects of the game are there to do things with. The start of the persistent universe was released last week, which is is 1 star system at the moment comprising of several stations to fly around, explore, do missions in, encounter other players etc and it even includes the FPS gameplay. As well as that, there's also the hangar module where you can look around your ships, the social module showing what a planetside location will be like (with other players), the racing module, and then there's Arena commander which is ship combat against either waves of NPCs or other players. It's all still in alpha so it doesn't work too well sometimes and there's obviously stuff missing (E.g. there's only 2 guns to use outside of your ship at the moment), but the start of the persistent universe is there to be tested now and more content will be added to it.

The game is a First-person universe, you're a character rather than just being a ship, which is what most other similar games are like. What you do in the final game will be entirely up to you; trading, mining, salvaging, exploring, combat, search & rescue, transporting etc. At the moment though the only part of that which is really there is combat either in first-person (with guns) or in ships, as well as some missions. This is what alpha 2.0 (the basis of the persistant universe) is like: https://youtu.be/SrpeLpQWzTk?t=2

If you do decide to buy the game, don't forget to use someones referral code, you'll both get a small reward for it (If you don't have one PM me and i'll send you mine if you'd like)

Zalusithix

Such a positive guy you are.............

You do know they are going to delay that until 2019 right?

Eh, 2020 is where it's at. A new game for a new decade! Intel might even have a new line of CPUs that are more than a couple of percent faster than the current ones by then. ;)

Shy

Whenever i try to press ctrl+c turn gimble mode off (like in that vid) it doesn't work, does anyone know why. ?

Daedardus

Eh, 2020 is where it's at. A new game for a new decade! Intel might even have a new line of CPUs that are more than a couple of percent faster than the current ones by then. ;)

Nah, 2020 is when they realise x86 CPU's are garbage and ARM is where it's at, causing them to rewrite the engine from scratch.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Anybody get a Steam controller and HOTAS working simultaneously? Big Picture seems to be disallowing the game from detecting my X55.

Afaik Raticus was trying to get the steam controller to work at the same time as pedals. I don't know if he managed to get it working.

No luck yet. Everyone has the same problem. I've tried bugging the devs in Discord chat a few times about it. There's a known bug where the game can't handle more than 4 directinput devices - not sure if it's the same issue or there's something else about the Steam controller specifically that messes up the detection. It's not an issue with big picture mode or running Steam as admin, since the pedals work fine in the same setup when the controller's disconnected.

Hm, well I'm glad I'm not the only one having the issue. I almost have my perfect setup with the HOTAS for flight and Steam controller for on foot.

Anyone made a decent X52 or X52 Pro config for this? I'm tempted to crack out the HOTAS for some fun soon but I really can't be bothered to spend all the time needed to remap everything etc since from what I remember the defaults for it are virtually unusable.

I'f they've gotten around to making a decent preset would also be a welcome alternative, although I imagine it's not exactly high priority for them right now.

Jimbostein

Neo Member
Anyone made a decent X52 or X52 Pro config for this? I'm tempted to crack out the HOTAS for some fun soon but I really can't be bothered to spend all the time needed to remap everything etc since from what I remember the defaults for it are virtually unusable.

I'f they've gotten around to making a decent preset would also be a welcome alternative, although I imagine it's not exactly high priority for them right now.

The default preset works fantastic for me...the only changes I made were to rebound the quantum travel engage/request landing keys to the same button by my thumb (both only work in their respective QT/landing modes so why not) and unbound the "change view"...everything else is bound just as I want them to be in the default x52 profile.

Of course, the trick is to click on profile (while at the hotas options page), load up saitekx52, and select joystick. If you have an x55, it's the same process, but you have to assign both they joystick and joystick(1) since it uses 2 USB ports.

Jimbostein

Neo Member
I put in my request to join the NeoGAF organization. I don't know where this google doc is that the others are talking about.

The default preset works fantastic for me...the only changes I made were to rebound the quantum travel engage/request landing keys to the same button by my thumb (both only work in their respective QT/landing modes so why not) and unbound the "change view"...everything else is bound just as I want them to be in the default x52 profile.

Of course, the trick is to click on profile (while at the hotas options page), load up saitekx52, and select joystick. If you have an x55, it's the same process, but you have to assign both they joystick and joystick(1) since it uses 2 USB ports.

How's the stick sensitivity? That was my main issue since I found the controls really jerky and I spent most of my time counter-steering from spin to spin. It has been quite a long time since I've used a HOTAS with the game as a result and spent most of my time with the m+k input instead.

Jimbostein

Neo Member
How's the stick sensitivity? That was my main issue since I found the controls really jerky and I spent most of my time counter-steering from spin to spin. It has been quite a long time since I've used a HOTAS with the game as a result and spent most of my time with the m+k input instead.

The stick sensitivity is fusturating in that the deadzone is...weird. I know that if you really delve into the config settings you can set the deadzones and sensitivity curves and whatnot...but that's a level of customization I'm not prepared to go towards.

If you haven't played since 1.3, the 2.0 flight model makes a world of difference. I don't find myself oversteering/correcting at all. My only regret is that I tried my dad's X55 and it felt like a much better experience (stiffer joystick response, more precise)...just need to hold out for the super-expensive Star Citizen HOTAS!

I don't care if I can be more precise with the mouse, this game feels great with a hotas.

Geist-

Squadron 42 by the end of 2016?! You are killing me, man :'(

The biggest problem is FPS stuff. The flight model is getting really close to being awesome, if they can fix the character movement and fps flow, doesn't seem like there would be much more work to do (besides character customization).

jaaz

Question for you Connie flyers out there: Is there a way to fire missiles or missile salvo from the Connie when flying solo? If so, how the heck do you do it?

Zalusithix

Oops, thanks.

Just saw that they'll have another set of $30 packages for the Dec 16 stream. Added a note.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3wv0u6/cig_giveth_and_cig_taketh_away/cxzbku8

Haha, I can't take credit for noticing it. One of the applicants pointed it out (can't remember which one now). And speaking of org maintenance, I haven't forgotten about the emblem and page update. It's just been sidelined a for a bit with 2.0 directing my attention and free time to getting the multi-axis throttle project in motion.

The general concept is now complete. Details wise, the linear motion hardware, potentiometers, microcontroller, OLED screen, hat switches, and analog thumb stick are spec'd out. Just a matter of lining up the other buttons and toggle switches and ordering the whole mess before the end of the year. Then comes assembly of the motion hardware, stick design prototyping on the 3D printer, and coding the microcontroller with all the planned features. The biggest gamble will be hoping the general concept of the cam-esque centering mechanism ends up working. I'd rather not have to resort to elastics.

Assuming everything works out, it'll be a 4 axis throttle (Side to side, back and forth, up and down, and a rotational axis around the forearm for roll - the primary joystick's roll axis becomes yaw, pedals get nixed.) with an analog thumb stick for gimbals and on foot movement. The microcontroller will allow fun stuff like calibration, curves, etc to be done in the hardware, enable hardware based layer maps for functional overloading of the buttons, enable a precision mode for the thumbstick, and various other things like cruise control (locking an axis pot's output to a given value dynamically).

So yeah, my plate's full for a bit. Probably wont be until March at the earliest that I'll have time to really get back to working on the page. If we're really lucky, CIG might have even worked on implementing org functionality in the PU by then. ;)

Dat 1st in the instance and get 90+ FPS until someone spawns a Connie.

I just want to say how much better flying feels in 2.0 now there is an actual physics based flight model. Only thing is I think MAV thrusters need to have more ramp up to let them have finer movements like landings.

Leetums

Free fly is over :( Wish i had money to back after those amazing experiences. Even in its current state, ive had more fun with this than a lot of releases this year lol.

Question for you Connie flyers out there: Is there a way to fire missiles or missile salvo from the Connie when flying solo? If so, how the heck do you do it?

IIRC some of the missile pods start disabled. You need to activate them in the lower left screen of the pilot HUD.

Free fly is over :( Wish i had money to back after those amazing experiences. Even in its current state, ive had more fun with this than a lot of releases this year lol.

Wednesday during the live stream they'll announce when they will have more $30 packages available. They go crazy fast though.

tuxfool

Banned
Haha, I can't take credit for noticing it. One of the applicants pointed it out (can't remember which one now). And speaking of org maintenance, I haven't forgotten about the emblem and page update. It's just been sidelined a for a bit with 2.0 directing my attention and free time to getting the multi-axis throttle project in motion.

The general concept is now complete. Details wise, the linear motion hardware, potentiometers, microcontroller, OLED screen, hat switches, and analog thumb stick are spec'd out. Just a matter of lining up the other buttons and toggle switches and ordering the whole mess before the end of the year. Then comes assembly of the motion hardware, stick design prototyping on the 3D printer, and coding the microcontroller with all the planned features. The biggest gamble will be hoping the general concept of the cam-esque centering mechanism ends up working. I'd rather not have to resort to elastics.

Assuming everything works out, it'll be a 4 axis throttle (Side to side, back and forth, up and down, and a rotational axis around the forearm for roll - the primary joystick's roll axis becomes yaw, pedals get nixed.) with an analog thumb stick for gimbals and on foot movement. The microcontroller will allow fun stuff like calibration, curves, etc to be done in the hardware, enable hardware based layer maps for functional overloading of the buttons, enable a precision mode for the thumbstick, and various other things like cruise control (locking an axis pot's output to a given value dynamically).

So yeah, my plate's full for a bit. Probably wont be until March at the earliest that I'll have time to really get back to working on the page. If we're really lucky, CIG might have even worked on implementing org functionality in the PU by then. ;)

I'd look at using something different than pots. They get real nasty, have you considered using something more sensitive like hall effect sensors? Or possibly linear photo resistors?

Out of curiosity what MCU are you planning on using?

Also has anybody ever used one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LB7G00/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Leetums

IIRC some of the missile pods start disabled. You need to activate them in the lower left screen of the pilot HUD.

Wednesday during the live stream they'll announce when they will have more $30 packages available. They go crazy fast though.

Yea that was my post on reddit the guy from CIG replied to lol. I wont be able to get the money anyway. Whadda ya gunna do lol. Another free weekend will come around eventually.

smisk

Haven't touched Arena Commander in at least six months, but I'm definitely gonna check this out. Is there a manual for 2.0? Previous AC releases had a pretty extensive one that was very helpful.

UltraJay

Uh... So guys. What ship would you recommend purchasing so I'm not stuck with just a Connie now that free flight is over? Raticus also said something about working towards ships in drone coop in Arena Commander?

Leetums

Uh... So guys. What ship would you recommend purchasing so I'm not stuck with just a Connie now that free flight is over? Raticus also said something about working towards ships in drone coop in Arena Commander?

You can just get one of the cheap ones, like an aurora or mustang, then play arena commander and earn REC points, then you can rent ships on the website with the rec points you earned.

UltraJay

You can just get one of the cheap ones, like an aurora or mustang, then play arena commander and earn REC points, then you can rent ships on the website with the rec points you earned.

Cool thanks. So its renting ships. Forgot what REC does since there are so many currencies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yup, I have one. I tried using it with... Elite? I think?

Either way, it's just not great for games. The range of motion is designed for 3d modeling, and it's very hard to move the tiny amounts that the device is expecting. A shame, because when it works, it's pretty awesome.

The company that makes those actually tried to contact RSI regarding making a space-sim-oriented version, but no luck. It's a shame - I think a longer-travel version of it with some buttons on the "puck" would be great.

Do you think it could work using the spacemouse in your offhand for your big turns and strafes, then aiming with the mouse?

Top Bottom