• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

KOCMOHABT

I went to the ICC station and got given some coordinates to search for something, when my Quantum Travel disengaged I was in large asteroid field with not much around, i thought i may have jumped to the wrong place initially but decided to have a look around.

Big rocks and more big rocks wasn't really much to see and I was about to jump to somewhere else but I could hear a beeping sound getting more frequent and louder the closer I got to the middle of the asteroid field, I eventually found a wrecked ship.
http://i.imgur.com/MQ8uEL8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PXsqEEh.jpg

etc.

Thanks for sharing, that sounded exactly like stuff I want in a game like this

What is this? Turned into a joke but no tag in sight? I demand a recount!
hahaha - I am pretty sure people will be off-quoting that for quite some time
:D

I am not by my PC currently, but the other day I went to a friends house who also backed SC and he has a great rig as well. We loaded it up on surround sound system and had his brother watch us try out the alpha 2.0 for the first time together. The brother was quite literally shocked at the game he was seeing. He got a near drunken stupor kind of grin when we hit quantum drive for the fist time and the room shook from all the bass.

Conversion on contact.
Some images from the monthly report:
BXqaFHe.jpg

79dlnvs.jpg
[/IMG]

This is some super dreadnought right next to the Bengal, right?

Saiyan-Rox

There I was exploring the inside of a station and some asshole blows up my ship. I go out to get revenge and my game crashes

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Here are those Vanduul Swarm clear videos:

Dying Star: https://youtu.be/ncmef-5ebO4

Broken Moon: https://youtu.be/0apt8_x2hrA
(this map's not as good due to the fixed central enemy spawn points in my opinion)

I'm using a Steam controller with gyro tilt as mouse input for aiming (enabled while my thumb on the right touchpad). For big turns I swipe my thumb to give the virtual trackball a spin. Right/Left analog trigger is front/back strafe (not using throttle) and my lateral strafes are on the left stick. Makes for some really fun combat!

I'm hoping they'll get pedals working with it soon... they aren't detected by the game while the Steam controller's connected. Planning to use the pedals as the analog front/back strafe and the rudder slide as analog roll. I'm using the grip buttons on the Steam controller as roll inputs for now, but they're digital and a bit awkward to use, so the pedals will be better long term.

Has this game gotten better HOTAS support yet? I'm big into Elite Dangerous, where gimbals and slight auto-tracking makes aiming with a joystick possible. Is there a way to configure your ship like this in SC, or is it all manual aim?

Machina

Banned
I just had a crew of 4 going in my connie for a brief period. They definitely need to introduce crew roles like engineering pretty soon cause once they do, omg...

Bionic

Any options (besides respawning) should you get stranded?

I got stranded after someone blew up my ship at Covalex and then jumped away. I was thrown about 13km away by the explosion. I asked in chat if anyone could pick me up, two people came out in a Super Hornet and Mustang Beta to triangulate where I was. We signaled back and forth with my pistol and their lasers, and the Super Hornet pilot let me sit in their turret seat to bring me back to Port Olisar. It was one of the coolest things I've experienced in a video game.

Varvor

Are there any 2.0 version graphic tweaks?

I hear that frame rate is tied to servers and all but there something that can be done on my side?

Despite gaving good pc i get 50 to 60 fps on low in Hangar and Free flight but 18-25 at all times on server side station amd flight.

I see all these videos of folks running around in the station with good fps or even smooth 60. Yet my frametime chills in 40ms range.

Esqueleto

Banned
Are there any 2.0 version graphic tweaks?

I hear that frame rate is tied to servers and all but there something that can be done on my side?

Despite gaving good pc i get 50 to 60 fps on low in Hangar and Free flight but 18-25 at all times on server side station amd flight.

I see all these videos of folks running around in the station with good fps or even smooth 60. Yet my frametime chills in 40ms range.

It's the servers. On low, my old gpu sits at about 40 percent usage.

Finally had my "Holy shit, this is it. This is the game I've been waiting for." moment, even if it was only a tiny sliver of what's to come.

Remember to press f12 and bring up the chat window people! This wouldnt have happened without being a little bit social.

Was in my Gladius, decided to go fix a comm array. Run into pirates attacking the station, help clear them out, park my Gladius, EVA into the station and fix it. While floating back into the ship, a guy at Port Olisar wants to know if anyone has a multicrew ship to have fun in.

I volunteer to use my Connie, quantum drive back to the port, spawn it, get the guy inside. Never met before, but we're instant buddies. Not sure what we're going to do, we follow another Constellation leaving the port. In the weapons free zone, all hell breaks out as their gunner starts shooting at us.

Ensuing battle between two constellations with another Hornet and Mustang who joined in for fun. Somehow both Constellations survive (badly damaged), call a truce. Mustang was the only casualty (lol). Hornet pilot asks if he can join us, of course! He's abandons his ship, floats across to ours, gets in, starts taking care of shields.

We gotta get repaired, lights sparkling everywhere, water(?!) pipes spraying water everywhere, darkness inside the Connie besides the blue lights flashing on the floor directing you to exits.

We quantum jump to the Cry-Astro repair station. Land, drones do their work and ship is restocked and repaired. On slowly exiting the platform (which is sandwiched top and bottom by the station so you gotta go slow), we start receiving fire. Player Cutlass Black.

Shit is going down, one of our guys gets clipped out of the ship and floats back to the repair platform. He says he's seeing an epic fight. Both of these manned mutlicrew ships going at it: missiles and flares and chaff everywhere, laser lighting up the dark void. I've lost the missile racks to dmg, and this cutlass is going full ram mode. He's going to take down everyone, his crew and himself included.

His last charge at us, and we unload everything we got. Right before impact, the Cutlass blows up in an awesome explosion that we run right through, taking some debris dmg along the way.

Ship controls like a greased watermelon. Luckily we're close by to the repairs, and I barely manage to land the ship without taking us out. Another guy observing in a Ghost Hornet, who my radars never picked up, wants to join in. As I let my ship float in space to let the guy EVA in, we all have a dance party inside. He's in, we're all high fiving, and then sparks and rattling begin with a fury.

The Cutlass returned.

I let everyone else man the ship, letting the first guy I met pilot. I want to see the damage while I'm walking inside. The crew isn't able to start up the Connie in time. The Cutlass must've unloaded all his missiles after the shields went down because all of a sudden a huge massive explosion as the ship rips apart all around me in fire and debris.

My crew has died, yet I'm still alive because I guess I was just running around inside and not sitting down. As the debris of my Constellation floats away, I see the Cutlass blow up the Ghost next to me. He flies away, and I'm left floating in space.

I suicide, revive back at Port Olisar, and while I'm adding the crew to the friend's list the game crashes.

The PTU was a mess for me, could barely play long and when I did you would see the FPS drops happening or blocking bugs. This public release is so much better so far.

Total playtime was around 40 minutes. Gonna remember that for a long time. Wish I'd recorded it. I never write this much on GAF, but I wanted to share the experience so bad.

Totally a believer now.

KKRT00

Finally had my "Holy shit, this is it. This is the game I've been waiting for." moment, even if it was only a tiny sliver of what's to come.

Remember to press f12 and bring up the chat window people! This wouldnt have happened without being a little bit social.

Was in my Gladius, decided to go fix a comm array. Run into pirates attacking the station, help clear them out, park my Gladius, EVA into the station and fix it. While floating back into the ship, a guy at Port Olisar wants to know if anyone has a multicrew ship to have fun in.

I volunteer to use my Connie, quantum drive back to the port, spawn it, get the guy inside. Never met before, but we're instant buddies. Not sure what we're going to do, we follow another Constellation leaving the port. In the weapons free zone, all hell breaks out as their gunner starts shooting at us.

Ensuing battle between two constellations with another Hornet and Mustang who joined in for fun. Somehow both Constellations survive (badly damaged), call a truce. Mustang was the only casualty (lol). Hornet pilot asks if he can join us, of course! He's abandons his ship, floats across to ours, gets in, starts taking care of shields.

We gotta get repaired, lights sparkling everywhere, water(?!) pipes spraying water everywhere, darkness inside the Connie besides the blue lights flashing on the floor directing you to exits.

We quantum jump to the Cry-Astro repair station. Land, drones do their work and ship is restocked and repaired. On slowly exiting the platform (which is sandwiched top and bottom by the station so you gotta go slow), we start receiving fire. Player Cutlass Black.

Shit is going down, one of our guys gets clipped out of the ship and floats back to the repair platform. He says he's seeing an epic fight. Both of these manned mutlicrew ships going at it: missiles and flares and chaff everywhere, laser lighting up the dark void. I've lost the missile racks to dmg, and this cutlass is going full ram mode. He's going to take down everyone, his crew and himself included.

His last charge at us, and we unload everything we got. Right before impact, the Cutlass blows up in an awesome explosion that we run right through, taking some debris dmg along the way.

Ship controls like a greased watermelon. Luckily we're close by to the repairs, and I barely manage to land the ship without taking us out. Another guy observing in a Ghost Hornet, who my radars never picked up, wants to join in. As I let my ship float in space to let the guy EVA in, we all have a dance party inside. He's in, we're all high fiving, and then sparks and rattling begin with a fury.

The Cutlass returned.

I let everyone else man the ship, letting the first guy I met pilot. I want to see the damage while I'm walking inside. The crew isn't able to start up the Connie in time. The Cutlass must've unloaded all his missiles after the shields went down because all of a sudden a huge massive explosion as the ship rips apart all around me in fire and debris.

My crew has died, yet I'm still alive because I guess I was just running around inside and not sitting down. As the debris of my Constellation floats away, I see the Cutlass blow up the Ghost next to me. He flies away, and I'm left floating in space.

I suicide, revive back at Port Olisar, and while I'm adding the crew to the friend's list the game crashes.

The PTU was a mess for me, could barely play long and when I did you would see the FPS drops happening or blocking bugs. This public release is so much better so far.

Total playtime was around 40 minutes. Gonna remember that for a long time. Wish I'd recorded it. I never write this much on GAF, but I wanted to share the experience so bad.

Totally a believer now.
Awesome story, i actually think we should post it to some people who dont get the concept of this game.

Actually, i'll use it in $100m thread right now! :)

DieH@rd

Banned

The Cutlass returned.

Totally a believer now.

You need to start playing with shadowplay/gamingevolved DVR app recording your gameplay in the background all the time. It will take very little of your resources, but you will have a way to preserve things you experience.

The Cutlass returned.

Totally a believer now.

This is some movie level shit right here, that's really awesome.

Starviper

Anyone else having issues with flight controls in the universe mode? I was able to lift off earlier but then my ship started spinning out of control and I couldn't get it back, ended up dying and disconnecting. 2nd time I was able to get my ship to spawn I couldn't lift off at all.

Setting weapon groups also seems to not be working.. Unsure if it has to do with my connection or what. I'm running off a powerline adapter to the PC so it's possible that it dropped packets and causing the game to hang, but other apps don't seem to be disconnecting..

This is some movie level shit right here, that's really awesome.

Awesome story, i actually think we should post it to some people who dont get the concept of this game.

Actually, i'll use it in $100m thread right now! :)

Thanks! The idea behind Star Citizen is what led to my backing, but I'll freely admit I was a bit nervous about how well it'd be implemented. Until now I've appreciated the work they've put in, and respectfully enjoyed the modules they've put out.

But "simple" dogfighting and a MMO hub wasn't exactly blowing my tits off. What happened today was like those precious moments you have in gaming when you do something unlike anything you have before.

For me I'd equate it to the first time I played Starcraft (first RTS) or WoW (my first MMO) or Oblivion (first open world RPG). Eyes lit up, world of possibilities ahead of you.

They really have something special brewing at CIG.

You need to start playing with shadowplay/gamingevolved DVR app recording your gameplay in the background all the time. It will take very little of your resources, but you will have a way to preserve things you experience.

Yeah, that won't be a mistake I'll do again. Hardly ever do that, but I think I'll have to for Star Citizen because everything that is happening is new to everyone and it's a beautiful, chaotic mess.

Starviper

Finally did manage to fly around and do a few missions. Really, really enjoying what i've been playing of that; having communications from the NPC's when flying into an area is pretty neat, and for one of the random encounters upon getting shot up to death I got a sound clip of the person who used the distress beacon crying out.

The issue is that I can't seem to keep the client working for more than 30 minutes or so. I was able to do a second series of missions after restoring a comms array once, and had a crash occur shortly after dying.

In spite of that, what I have been able to play is really fun. Can't get the Gladius working but my 350R is fine. Had some fun with a random who EVA'd over to my ship that was spinning around and started attacking me, but the game crashed when I tried going back inside and slammed into it; got launched lol

jaaz

Probably a stupid question, but what's the proper way to exit a Connie for EVA? The airlocks seem to be for docking and don't really work in space. The descending platform does work, but it's clearly meant to be used while landed at port. I use it in space, but it seems silly, pushing me into the ship essentially. There's got to be a better way...

Shy

Probably a stupid question, but what's the proper way to exit a Connie for EVA? The airlocks seem to be for docking and don't really work in space. The descending platform does work, but it's clearly meant to be used while landed at port. I use it in space, but it seems silly, pushing me into the ship essentially. There's got to be a better way...
I want to know this also.

I think the airlocks are just broken at the mo.

Not the crew quarters deck, but the cargo hold elevator. Or you can use the port/starboard air locks.

tuxfool

Banned
In as much as the EVA transitions in the multicrew ships are horribly janky and sometimes broken, I get the feeling that they won't improve this until after they transition to the newer animation system.

WGMBY

EVA was always going to be the game changer.

We knew this.

We dreamed this.

Being able to EVA around your ship after a battle and see the damage is awesome. Can't wait for loadouts to work in the Universe.

I'm going to have to drop money on a Gladius or Hornet I guess, at least until we find out when the economy will be implemented. My plan was to earn my way to bigger ships in-game, but I'd really just like to use the Military ships now. The trial Gladius is a ton of fun, and the Hornet is the iconic Star Citizen ship.

Guess I'm hooked now :)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Despite not being able to get into an instance yet (about 100 tries, alway full): I'm still pumped as.

So much progress in a relatively short amount of time; can't wait for S42 to drop next year!

Finally got to remap my HOTAS controls and get in a good hour long session before the crash:

First off my reaction to the IM mode for joysticks as default

Ja84ktP.gif

What else of a reaction is there. This has to be the most incompetently handled balance issue created by a developer, ever. To tally it up we have a joystick emulating a mouse, emulating head movement that flies for you. Really?!? The ironically funny thing is they going the most ass backwards way of trying literally everything else under the sun than to address the IM imbalance issue in the game. When there are dozens of games before it (even Robert's own games) that are controller agnostic here we are with CIG still trying to fit an over sized square cube in round hole. Fixing that garbage is "L Contrl+ G."

After that getting to go out fly my Avenger (loadout stuck this time) I very much appreciate the new flight model. Precision mode is good for landing but the MAV thrusters are still to twitchy in it resulting in a lot more hard touches than should be. Decoupled is good to smoothen it, but is still risky because you need some significant momentum to get the MAV thrusters to fire to arrest the motion.

SCM with the new flight model feels much better and finally I feel like I have some actual fine control over ships and maneuvering feels like it has consequence with ships having strong vs weak axis and inertia requiring counter movements and commitment to fly well. Feels much more natural that was in the game, turning ESP off feels much better as I now don't need it to have any sort of fine control of the ship. Flight feels much better. Damn those pirate M50s though, impossible to see accurately with the target markers over them.

Otherwise the FPS sound with the rifle is absolutely top notch, inside vs outside (even in space) sounds loud, meaty and fun to shoot. There is something magical looking out at the vastness of space without any discernible borders from the open ramp of my Avenger. The feeling of simultaneous loneliness of being a grain of sand of the beach and knowing there are other people and stories to write in this same universe. Ultimately even with such short playtime it will be something special, as long as CIG can get out of their own way when it comes to the balance of the game.

I finally had my first awesome moment in the alpha last night. After flying to a couple stations and turning them back on I decided to go see what was at Yela. When I got there I found a very small asteroid belt and after flying around it a little I decided to EVA out 5o one of the larger asteroids to get a sense of scale.

As I got close to it I glimpsed a moving object in the distance but brushed it off as an asteroid. I soon realized the other asteroids didn't appear to be moving and started to make my way back to the ship, but I had already been discovered. As the pilot bore down on my Connie I decided to head back to the asteroid and ask for a pickup. After a few minutes somebody offered to pick me up and we decided to meet somewhere at the inside line of the belt would be best. It took a while but eventually it worked.

So me and my new found ally decided to spawn another Connie back at the port and go hunting for the player. I offered him the pilot seat and took up place in the massively improved top turret and we prepared for a fight. Taking off from the port we headed for beacons near Yela, engaged the jump drive and.... client crashed.

I was fuming that we didn't get to carry on, but it felt like the beginning of one hell of fun ride. Just knowing that stuff like this are already partially possible in the alpha makes me really excited to see what else is coming.

Hey guys, I've got a couple of questions before jumping in.

1. I've got a 970GTX 4GB, i5 2500K and 16 GB DDD3. How well will I be able to play this game? Part of it's appeal are the graphics to be fair, and if I won't be able to run it pretty high the appeal is losing it a bit

2. Can I play this with a controller (Xbox Wireless Elite Controller)

3. The game gives off a bit of a Mass Effect vibe in some of the screens and trailers, but how accurate is that. Is it at all comparable?

4. What do you actually do most of the time during actual game. So what takes up the highest percentage of gameplay

Akronis

1. I've got a 970GTX 4GB, i5 2500K and 16 GB DDD3. How well will I be able to play this game? Part of it's appeal are the graphics to be fair, and if I won't be able to run it pretty high the appeal is losing it a bit

3. The game gives off a bit of a Mass Effect vibe in some of the screens and trailers, but how accurate is that. Is it at all comparable?

4. What do you actually do most of the time during actual game. So what takes up the highest percentage of gameplay

1. A lot of the game is still pretty unoptimized, but you can run it ok with settings turned down.

2. Yes.

3. Are you talking about the lore? Or the campaign? The campaign is a typical military story sort of thing, similar to all of Chris's games.

4. Currently, the game isn't released. Right now we are just play-testing the core systems to make sure they work properly. This game will probably not be released for another year.

I have a similar setup. I have a thrustmaster HOTAS X but if I can use that and a wireless controller for everything other than flying that would be great to know if that's possible?!

Edit: beaten

tuxfool

Banned
Finally got to remap my HOTAS controls and get in a good hour long session before the crash:

First off my reaction to the IM mode for joysticks as default

What else of a reaction is there. This has to be the most incompetently handled balance issue created by a developer, ever. To tally it up we have a joystick emulating a mouse, emulating head movement that flies for you. Really?!? The ironically funny thing is they going the most ass backwards way of trying literally everything else under the sun than to address the IM imbalance issue in the game. When there are dozens of games before it (even Robert's own games) that are controller agnostic here we are with CIG still trying to fit an over sized square cube in round hole. Fixing that garbage is "L Contrl+ G."

It's a bug (maybe?), as the setting doesn't stick for everybody. I suggest you go +1 the entry in the issue council. Turning off Lookahead mode also "fixes it".

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...062-HOTAS_Stick_begins_to_act_as_Mouse_input_

Looks like some dude put a giant comprehensive paper together of all things Star Citizen. Take a look:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ws9mp/schemata_formerly_the_big_scam_v_30_is_up_220/

Really awesome. God damn,

I love his responses to every positive comment "please, god, no."
It's a bug (maybe?), as the setting doesn't stick. I suggest you go +1 the entry in the issue council.

He may be confused by "look ahead mode" being on by default. It allows gimbal usage with a HOTAS but it is decidedly not virtual mouse.

Can't find any solid answers on this, so maybe you guys can help. If you buy Squadron 42, do you also get Star Citizen and vice versa, or are they separate entities?

Machina

Banned
Can't find any solid answers on this, so maybe you guys can help. If you buy Squadron 42, do you also get Star Citizen and vice versa, or are they separate entities?

I believe they are now, but they weren't to begin with. When I bought my first ship package, I got access to both. This was back when Star Citizen was still in its infancy.

Top Bottom